Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some!!
    Last Online

03.24.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts

Default E-Mail Hacks and the Role of a Free Press

With all the recent e-mail hacks, I think it is a fair question to ask, “What is the role of a free press?”

When the fappening happened, no reputable website would post the nude pics of the celebrities. Most people agreed those images were stolen and even in the 21st century, the people involved had some legitimate right to privacy.

Now we have e-mail hacks involving one of our two main political parties and a former Secretary of State.

Is it responsible for the press to publish information they know was stolen? If they did this for private citizens, or even celebrities, many people would say those people have a right to privacy and this information should not be published.

When it involves people running for high office, the press acknowledges the information was stolen and then publishes it in full. Is this right or wrong? Just because these are people running for office, or in the past have worked for the government, do we have a right to read their private communications?

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

03.26.17 @ 06:35 PM
    Liked 14,230 Times in 6,936 Posts

Premium Member

I don't think we have a free press to be honest with you.

We have political propaganda mechanisms.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

3. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

03.26.17 @ 05:39 PM
    Liked 8,481 Times in 4,588 Posts

Premium Member

Where it gets tricky is when the emails expose illegal behavior. The Founders created the press in order to keep a watchful eye on government. Today most mainstream media does the opposite. That started with Edward Bernays I believe and now it's a mess.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

5. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 5,382 Times in 2,652 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    Where it gets tricky is when the emails expose illegal behavior. The Founders created the press in order to keep a watchful eye on government. Today most mainstream media does the opposite. That started with Edward Bernays I believe and now it's a mess.
    Exactly. It's only an issue when say it deals with coca colas recipe or something that would be detrimental . An email proving someone to be lying? Not so much. Nude picture? Forward them to me first and let me be the judge.

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 5,382 Times in 2,652 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I don't think we have a free press to be honest with you.

We have political propaganda mechanisms.
    and a lot of times the people themselves leak this crap.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

03.26.17 @ 08:43 PM
    Liked 1,046 Times in 600 Posts

Use those emails and burn those fucking democrats to the ground. The hypocrisy is astounding...the audacity of you even questioning using them

Last Online

03.26.17 @ 09:10 AM
    Liked 672 Times in 352 Posts

Premium Member

After the whole NSA/Snowden ordeal, I have ZERO sympathy for any politicians privacy when it comes to their dealings. They are a representative of the masses. Not a privileged elite. As far as the celebrities? Buy a Polaroid and a lock box. Problem solved. When your personal information starts to become worth actual money, then your strategy should change. Media is just doing what the media does.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

03.26.17 @ 02:22 PM
    Liked 3,470 Times in 1,780 Posts

I used to feel that privacy trumped all but have come around after the hack of the DNC. It shows that its really not in our hands. Powerful people are at play deciding the fate of our country while it should be us, the citizens. So guess what, if somebody can get your email and expose you for being a liar I am all for it.

Now I don't think people/hackers should make public personal emails. That is too much but if its a bitch who is doing whatever she can to prevent Bernie Sanders to win the nomination? Sure have at it.

Doesn't matter if its Republican or Democrat. Of course I do realize that every politician lies but let me decide who lies the least.

12. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

orig VH fan x craps champ edwardv's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

03.26.17 @ 06:54 PM
    Liked 1,762 Times in 1,113 Posts

Premium Member

They spy on us and pass laws like NDAA. Hack away expose the bastards. I wish they would hack on the state and local level too. Put the fear of God in them.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

14. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

03.26.17 @ 11:07 AM
    Liked 301 Times in 139 Posts

God bless Andrew Snowden types and hackers who are exposing the dark truths of our crooked and deceitful government and politicians and dragging them out into the light for all to see.
    Let the TRUTH be known. The TRUTH sets us free.
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

Premium Member

If you meant Edward Snowden, I hope Edward Snowden dies a slow, painful death in unfathomable agony.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

Of course I meant Edward Snowden. I was typing at a restaurant simultaneously stuffing a burrito in my face.
    So why do you wish that Edward would die a slow and painful death? Not wanting to argue. Just curious. I can find fault with him too, but ultimately his actions for the greater good, in my opinion.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

Premium Member

I wasn't being critical of your typing dude, I just didn't want to assume.

It can be argued that he gave the top secret documenation to journalists, but it ended up in China and Russia. Russia didn't grant him asylum for his wonderful skills as a pitmaster, they gave him asylum because he is a fucking traitor to his country and some of our allies.

The United States, Canada, England and others had to pull their intelligence officers out of live operations due to the information he gave out.

Don't get me wrong, I have made my feelings known about the Patriot Act, the NDAA and the other infringements upon the Bill of Rights, but you don't fucking travel to China and Russia with millons of top secret documents.

I hope the CIA catches him and does torture practice on his traitorous ass.

Fuck him to hell.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

03.25.17 @ 05:17 PM
    Liked 2,488 Times in 1,458 Posts

I thought about this a lot with the whole Gawker/Hulk Hogan thing. My initial thought was that it wasn't really newsworthy, so why did it have to be published? On the flip side, I am in favor of a very liberal definition of press freedom. (Part of that is because the left believes corporations shouldn't count as people under the law as they do now, but most major media outlets are corporations, which would mean that press freedom wouldn't apply to them and the government could assume editorial control, which is not something I think we should be advocating.)

But it turns out that, for whatever reason, celebs are newsworthy, and Hogan himself was making his sex life public by talking about it and answering questions. Problem was that he was lying and the sex tape proved it. Now, I believe Gawker didn't really have to publish even a clip and could have just described it and had people independently corroborate that the tape was what it was, but this is where the liberal definition comes in.

In other words, it doesn't matter how the press got it. Once they get it, they can do what they think best with it. That's true even if it is a private recording stolen from, say, a Republican politician who is anti-gay rights, but shows that he is having a gay affair. That's newsworthy. Punish who stole it if you can prove it, but it's totally legit for the press to run with it.

Snowden is somewhat more complicated because he could have been someone we should all admire by exposing illegal activity the government was conducting towards its own citizens. But a whole bunch of what he took out of that building was more than that, stuff that could put a lot of people in danger, legitimate state secrets, that kind of thing. Of course, if he could walk out of there with it that easily, and Secretaries of State have home email with classified material, then I have to imagine places like Russia already had that info if they wanted it.

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I wasn't being critical of your typing dude, I just didn't want to assume.

It can be argued that he gave the top secret documenation to journalists, but it ended up in China and Russia. Russia didn't grant him asylum for his wonderful skills as a pitmaster, they gave him asylum because he is a fucking traitor to his country and some of our allies.
    It's possible. Russia also could have given him asylum just to get under the US's skin, another of many Putin nose-thumbing's at our fearless president. It's also speculation what volume of the docs had to do with defense.

Some of the garbage put forth about what's contained in them that has apparently harmed us so much...

"When it comes to stopping terrorist attacks, groups that seek to harm the West also now have an advanced understanding about our capacity to stop them. A video released in January onto a jihadist online platform explained just some of what mujahideen fighters had taken from Snowden: "All mobile phone providers use the same software, your device continuously is in contact with the nearest tower," it says. "Your different coordinates are tracked and stored. All your calls, messages and internet history are stored in this same place […]With his phone, tablet or laptop the enemy can listen/record all conversations and meetings."

Well that's been common knowledge for a long time. PBS Frontline, for example, reported a hell of a lot more than that about the NSA years ago. Long before this Snowden business. Lots of bits like the above "mujahideen fighters benefitting" cheap rhetoric has been put forth as "evidence" that we're all in greater danger now because of Snowden's doc dump. What they're saying though really doesn't jive.

The United States, Canada, England and others had to pull their intelligence officers out of live operations due to the information he gave out.
    So they say. Any official report they've released though is completely blacked out and redacted, besides headings. So they put forth any damaging claim and personal smear about him as fact and then release a fully redacted/blacked out report, and people believe it like they're supposed to. Truth is, we really don't know, and I'm not taking the Defense Intelligence Agency's word for it, taking into considering also the lies that are evident in theirs and other intelligence official's smear campaigns to paint him as a born loser and traitor. There is no credible evidence that Snowden's disclosure has caused the harm that intelligence officials claim.