Register
    Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Default The Zoom MS-50g - Love it. Anyone else using it?

I did a search and didn't see it discussed here like it is on other sites. Anyone using it? What a great swiss army pedal the zoom MS-50g is. I think it's a no-brainer because it frees up space on the pedal board by eliminating some pedals. Love having so many choices at my fingertips and setting up a few presets with nice double delays going. Really like the tones I've stumbled onto with the acoustic sim. For $99 new or roughly $80 used you just can't go wrong with this thing. I've also got some presets that I stack with my DOD 250 that really sound great.

Looking for suggestions for VH tones from anyone who may be using it. I've dabbled and got some nice tones from it but hearing what others may be doing would be great.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:38 AM
    Liked 612 Times in 387 Posts

As far as multi-effects go, and specifically for Van Halen sounds, nothing even comes close to the Eventide H9. But you've got a good deal on the Zoom. Prince used it all over the 'Sign 'O The Times' album and onward. If it wasn't his stock Boss pedals from that album and onward, it was almost always a Zoom 9030 making the effects.

That's all I know about Zoom processors...
    Last edited by garbeaj; 09.01.16 at 10:40 AM.

3. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

All of 'em
    Favorite VH Song

All except "How Many Say I"
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 04:34 AM
    Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts

I've never heard of this, but it looks pretty cool. I looked through the web page and read about it. The only thing is, it doesn't look like you could turn an effect on or off if you have multiple effects going at once. Am I wrong on this? It seems like it would be good for recording, but not great for playing live, unless you want to turn the effects on or off all at the same time.
    “Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy.” - Benjamin Franklin

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by garbeaj View Post
    As far as multi-effects go, and specifically for Van Halen sounds, nothing even comes close to the Eventide H9. But you've got a good deal on the Zoom. Prince used it all over the 'Sign 'O The Times' album and onward. If it wasn't his stock Boss pedals from that album and onward, it was almost always a Zoom 9030 making the effects.

That's all I know about Zoom processors...
    Yeah no doubt the H9 is pretty amazing for VH. I didn't get this to be a VH pedal but the sounds are in there and very tweakable so the ability to get in the ballpark is there. I bought this pedal because it can do so many things and do them well. It replaced a delay pedal on my board for the same price but gives me delay and a ton more options. What differs it from the H9 as I understand it is that while this allows you to stack up to 6 effects in a chain the H9 does not. Again, not saying this is better than an H9. Just saying for $99 vs $399 it gives you serious bang for the buck in a standard size pedal.

Quote Originally Posted by ejmaes67 View Post
    I've never heard of this, but it looks pretty cool. I looked through the web page and read about it. The only thing is, it doesn't look like you could turn an effect on or off if you have multiple effects going at once. Am I wrong on this? It seems like it would be good for recording, but not great for playing live, unless you want to turn the effects on or off all at the same time.
    I highly recommend watching some of the demos on youtube. Brett Kingman from pro guitar shop has a great set of vids.

There's a real learning curve to this pedal and I'm still getting used to it myself. But yes, you can treat it as a regular stomp box. If you're using it for one effect (flanger for example) and want to engage it then disengage it mid-song you can. Or if you set up a pre-set with like four effects in one chain there is a way to turn one of the effects in that chain off mid-song if you need to.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

6. The Following Member Likes This Post: