I'm The One
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:47 PM
    Liked 10,840 Times in 5,702 Posts

Premium Member

Default I Thought I was Reading the Onion

And then I realized this was real:

http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=8081

The board warns students that failing to follow these guidelines could lead them to commit a microaggression, which include “microassaults,” “microinsults,” and “microinvalidations.”

WTF? I'm laughing so hard right now. What the hell is a "microinvalidation?"

But yeah. Language matters. So you know what? FUCK YOU College Avenue Apartments RA that posted this shit. Is that aggressive enough for you?

SMFH...
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:32 PM
    Liked 3,108 Times in 1,820 Posts

Premium Member

This is why I really like what University of Chicago did, basically saying they don't support trigger warnings or safe space. The funny thing is that the professors in my Facebook timeline were off the handle at the idea people would be against this stuff. The problem is that 'trigger warnings' are being compared to, for example, warning students that some of the depictions in Push by Sapphire might be upsetting. That kind of thing I get. But that isn't what is happening.

Unfortunately, I think we're headed towards a future where people think that words are violence and should be policed as such.

Just watch this over at Occidental

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:37 PM
    Liked 16,520 Times in 9,363 Posts

Stupid.

Last Online

Premium Member

How about this? All of you remember the Cincinnati Zoo incident and the kid who was able to get into the gorilla exhibit. For those that don't know, Harambe, the gorilla shot and killed in the incident, has become an internet meme. It has spread far and wide, including things like Harambe for President.

Well, one of the popular ones that I can't explain is "Dicks out for Harambe." It's a popular hashtag, and there are even Vine compilations of people saying it. It has caught on at college campuses, including UMass-Amherst. One problem at that school: Harambe also happens to be the name of the university's residential community for African American students.

Two RAs on campus have written that any jokes/memes/chants that include Harambe are racist microagressions against Blacks on campus. Worse, they say "Dicks out for Harambe" violates Title IX (which is becoming a catch-all, much like the commerce clause) and that the mere mention of male genitalia amounts to a sexual assault and needs to be reported.

So here is my problem with this rabbit hole we have gone down on college campuses. When you elevate words to the level of violence, as we have started to do, just saying, 'You should get punched' becomes the same as actually punching that person, which not only destroys free speech as we know it, but also diminishes actual violence. If men saying, "Dicks out for Harambe," in front of women is the same as those men actually sexually assaulting those women, we haven't just lost our direction, we've lost what it means to be a free person.
    Last edited by lovemachine97(Version 2); 09.06.16 at 10:32 AM.

5. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT/Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:05 PM
    Liked 627 Times in 310 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    How about this? All of you remember the Cincinnati Zoo incident and the kid who was able to get into the gorilla exhibit. For those that don't know, Harambe, the gorilla shot and killed in the incident, has become an internet meme. It has spread far and wide, including things like Harambe for President.

Well, one of the popular ones that I can't explain is "Dicks out for Harambe." It's a popular hashtag, and there are even Vine compilations of people saying it. It has caught on at college campuses, including UMass-Amherst. One problem at that school: Harambe also happens to be the name of the university's residential community for African American students.

Two RAs on campus have written that any jokes/memes/chants that include Harambe are racist microagressions against Blacks on campus. Worse, they say "Dicks out for Harambe" violates Title IX (which is becoming a catch-all, much like the commerce clause) and that the mere mention of male genitalia amounts to a sexual assault and needs to be reported.

So here is my problem with this rabbit hole we have gone down on college campuses. When you elevate words to the level of violence, as we have started to do, just saying, 'You should get punched' becomes the same as actually punching that person, which not only destroys free speech as we know it, but also diminishes actual violence. If men saying, "Dicks out for Harambe," in front of women is the same as those men actually sexually assaulting those women, we haven't just lost our direction, we've lost what it means to be a free person.
    I see a lot of the Harambe stuff on campus and online, and I'm kind of amazed/terrified that people genuinely see it as anything more than just some internet trend that won't last more than a few months. Instead of worrying about a dead gorilla meme and its perceived effects, how about actually focus on the effects of actual sexual assault cases and other incidents on campus?
    I'm just here.

Hotty Toddy, gosh almighty,
    Who the hell are we? Hey!

Flim flam, bim bam,
    Ole Miss, by damn!

"I can't complain but sometimes I still do" - Joe Walsh

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brody VH View Post
    I see a lot of the Harambe stuff on campus and online, and I'm kind of amazed/terrified that people genuinely see it as anything more than just some internet trend that won't last more than a few months. Instead of worrying about a dead gorilla meme and its perceived effects, how about actually focus on the effects of actual sexual assault cases and other incidents on campus?
    I honestly think it's because a significant group of millennials believe that saying something is not a lot different than actually doing it. There is a worrying portion of the left who believe that hate speech is not protected by free speech. There are people in other western countries who don't believe in free speech the same way we do, and in some of those countries, it isn't protected the same. So I do think this is something to worry about going forward.