Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.16 @ 09:48 AM
    Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts

Default Empathy And Understanding

I have never envied Mike's position throughout his time in VH. He had to deal with so much shit, and it must have caused no end of stress on his part. Even during his few times of dickish behavior, I still feel more sorry for him than angered. I don't know how I would've dealt with anything if I'd been in his shoes.

What are those few caveats I'm referring to, you might be asking? Like I said, they're few and far in between, bu they're enough to leave quite an impact. These basically are such simple things as his constant refusal to work with Dave, both in his constant bitching during the Best Of Volume 1 era, his calling in the lawyers to stop the trial run reunion in 2000-2001 (really, you despise Dave that much you have to bring in lawyers?), and his incredibly petty shot across the bow when the 3rd 2012 North American leg was merely postponed prior to Eddie's hospitalization, referring to Dave's explanation as "classic Dave looking for an excuse to not work." That was very undeserved. The other is his not showing up at Eddie and Alex's mother's funeral or leaving any hint of sympathy when Eddie was treated for cancer. If Dave could leave warm and sincere messages of support in these times, there's no reason for Mike not to, unless he felt he'd be betraying Sammy by doing so. No matter what, you just go and show you care, damn the consequences. There is of course his flip-flopping and working to support both Eddie and Alex and Sammy at different times. Mike will now say that "if Sammy says it happened, it's the truth." But if he felt that way at the time, he simply should have left VH when Sammy did as well. At the very least, it would give Sammy's story more credibility. But the fact that Mike did not do so speaks volumes. Say what you will about Eddie and Alex strong-arming him with mind games, but if Mike well and truly believed Sammy, he would have left in '96. He even said at the time that Sammy quit of his own volition. There's also his contradictory statements of "I don't know why I'm out" and "they can't deal with the fact that I'm with Sammy." If people are going to attack Eddie and Alex for every little contradiction and wrinkle, then Mike, Sammy and Dave must be held to the same standard. Simply put, Mike has always looked out for himself first and foremost, seeking whatever opportunity to save his position in the band. And lastly, there's the whole wrinkle about the fan reaction to Eddie's recent Billboard interview. Because of seeing the shows, Mike's position has been over-mythologized, to the fact many believe that he is solely responsible for the incredible harmonies or think that he wrote the bass lines of the songs. Eddie simply pointed out the reality of the situation, though again he didn't properly explain himself and should've been more tactful. When he said "I showed him the bass lines and taught to him with a video camera," he meant when writing the songs, not rehearsals for tours. Eddie wrote all the bass lines himself. And Eddie contributed considerably to the harmonies on the records, though he prefers not to live. Sammy's defense was quite another sign of his contradicting earlier points just to attack Eddie, supporting the myth, when he admitted in his own book that Mike didn't write anything. It probably was best that Mike didn't really react or comment on it.

But that said, I don't blame him, and I feel sorry for him more than anything. Dealing with the shit that went on throughout this period, especially the '90s, it makes sense to retreat into yourself and only focus on your end of things. After the Gary era fell apart, the fact that he was relegated to sitting around had to be aggravating, so I can see why he felt it wasn't worth it and toured with Sammy. I probably would've come to the same conclusion, especially with Eddie just holed up, leaving his family, and proceeding to binge on booze, coke and meth. All the frustration just boiled over, especially in those contradictory statements, and once again, anger often clouds people's judgment.

Truthfully, I believe Mike is much happier where he is now, and I don't begrudge him one bit for it. While I too have dreams of a CVH reunion or a BOBW show/tour, I'm still satisfied without it. I'm glad that he managed to make it out with his sanity intact, and being the cleanest individual of all the nastiness in the band's history. I know he definitely isn't losing any sleep tonight.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

01.22.17 @ 03:54 AM
    Liked 4,756 Times in 2,740 Posts

Premium Member

Wtf??

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

01.21.17 @ 10:18 PM
    Liked 7,568 Times in 4,048 Posts

Premium Member

"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

5. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

01.19.17 @ 03:11 AM
    Liked 1,722 Times in 691 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Around these parts you just did the equivalent to calling Mother Theresa a whore. Good luck with following comments.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

7. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by sickman View Post
    Around these parts you just did the equivalent to calling Mother Theresa a whore. Good luck with following comments.
    Well, I wonder if that means people will liken me to Christopher Hitchens. Personally, as a deist, I've felt nothing but shame and anger at Hitchens and the way he reflects on nonbelievers.

But like I said, I don't feel anger at Mike or those incredibly few things that he did. The plain and simple truth is that no one associated with VH is a saint or a minion of the devil, not even Sammy, whose antics truly anger me, even though I still love him to death. But Mike is definitely the one who got the least involved in the fray. I'm also not taking away what he did contribute to VH. His role in the harmonies, the bottom, and so on can't be denied. Sadly many people have built it up as bigger than it actually was, and I know many people won't react kindly to it, as the reaction to Eddie's interview shows. But it's much the same with people when I've pointed out that the Star Wars prequels, flawed as they are, are still quite good and worthy of the series name; that Prometheus had great ideas and addressed something important (especially with the plans for the sequels along with Neill Blomkamp's film); that Call of Duty is still a viable series undeserving of the backlash it has gotten; that Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley are not destroying Kiss and its history, and that Ace Frehley and Peter Criss were solely responsible for their exits from the band; that Don Felder's case against Don Henley and Glenn Frey was without merit and that it was money he wasn't deserving of and that his role in the band, while big, wasn't anywhere near as big as he wants us to believe and simple was not irreplaceable; that Yoko is a big factor in why John changed from being the asshole he originally was and was the best thing that could happen to him; that Courtney didn't kill Kurt; and so on. I'm used to it all.
    Last edited by Toxic34; 08.29.16 at 05:54 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

01.22.17 @ 03:54 AM
    Liked 4,756 Times in 2,740 Posts

Premium Member

Ok Wolf. Or is this is Valerie?

10. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    Ok Wolf. Or is this is Valerie?
    What, do you think that Valerie made excuses for Eddie's behavior and consciously lying to protect him? I have no idea why Wolf would make statements like this about Mike. He has no jealousy of what he brought to the table.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

01.21.17 @ 10:18 PM
    Liked 7,568 Times in 4,048 Posts

Premium Member

"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

13. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

01.21.17 @ 02:13 PM
    Liked 1,844 Times in 1,031 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic34 View Post
    Well, I wonder if that means people will liken me to Christopher Hitchens. Personally, as a deist, I've felt nothing but shame and anger at Hitchens and the way he reflects on nonbelievers.

But like I said, I don't feel anger at Mike or those incredibly few things that he did. The plain and simple truth is that no one associated with VH is a saint or a minion of the devil, not even Sammy, whose antics truly anger me, even though I still love him to death. But Mike is definitely the one who got the least involved in the fray. I'm also not taking away what he did contribute to VH. His role in the harmonies, the bottom, and so on can't be denied. Sadly many people have built it up as bigger than it actually was, and I know many people won't react kindly to it, as the reaction to Eddie's interview shows. But it's much the same with people when I've pointed out that the Star Wars prequels, flawed as they are, are still quite good and worthy of the series name; that Prometheus had great ideas and addressed something important (especially with the plans for the sequels along with Neill Blomkamp's film); that Call of Duty is still a viable series undeserving of the backlash it has gotten; that Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley are not destroying Kiss and its history, and that Ace Frehley and Peter Criss were solely responsible for their exits from the band; that Don Felder's case against Don Henley and Glenn Frey was without merit and that it was money he wasn't deserving of and that his role in the band, while big, wasn't anywhere near as big as he wants us to believe and simple was not irreplaceable; that Yoko is a big factor in why John changed from being the asshole he originally was and was the best thing that could happen to him; that Courtney didn't kill Kurt; and so on. I'm used to it all.
    Yeah, but do you like the Mad Anthony Sauces?
    And on a side note, you forgot to mention about Mike being a class act. Do you think he is?

HH<-----Keep your thoughts in the snorkeling depths. Going this deep requires scuba gear--------------

VH LINKS Resident Paramedic/Firefighter
    #officialhashtaghater
    Copyright holder of all things, "<-----------------"

UC<------Goal in life to be included in an HH sig-----

15. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies & Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

01.21.17 @ 10:37 PM
    Liked 3,848 Times in 1,899 Posts

Eddie simply pointed out the reality of the situation, though again he didn't properly explain himself and should've been more tactful. When he said "I showed him the bass lines and taught to him with a video camera," he meant when writing the songs, not rehearsals for tours. Eddie wrote all the bass lines himself. And Eddie contributed considerably to the harmonies on the records, though he prefers not to live. Sammy's defense was quite another sign of his contradicting earlier points just to attack Eddie, supporting the myth, when he admitted in his own book that Mike didn't write anything. It probably was best that Mike didn't really react or comment on it.
    you have some truths in there I'm sure. I'm one of the very few who said similar about Ed's comments. Referring to showing Mike the songs that he (Ed) wrote. And nearly identical to what Sammy said too. Ed wrote and Mike played along. I certainly don't diminish Mike's place in VH. He's my favorite VH bass player and essential to the sound.

But Mike has taken subtle jabs at DLR on several occasions. Never talks very highly of him.

Truthfully, I believe Mike is much happier where he is now, and I don't begrudge him one bit for it. While I too have dreams of a CVH reunion or a BOBW show/tour, I'm still satisfied without it. I'm glad that he managed to make it out with his sanity intact, and being the cleanest individual of all the nastiness in the band's history. I know he definitely isn't losing any sleep tonight.
    I'm sure Mike has been much happier away from the VH drama as much as possible. His punishment has been playing "I can't drive 55" countless times in last 12 years ;-)

17. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

01.21.17 @ 02:13 PM
    Liked 12,942 Times in 6,289 Posts

Premium Member

Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

orig VH fan x craps champ edwardv's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

01.21.17 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 1,509 Times in 942 Posts

Premium Member

My troll scanner just went off. Its saying to do an IP search...
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

20. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

01.22.17 @ 03:58 AM
    Liked 3,967 Times in 2,053 Posts

Premium Member

So someone actually is reading those walls of words?

Last Online

01.21.17 @ 09:23 PM
    Liked 508 Times in 261 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by edwardv View Post
    My troll scanner just went off. Its saying to do an IP search...

23. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Halen View Post
    Yeah, but do you like the Mad Anthony Sauces?
    And on a side note, you forgot to mention about Mike being a class act. Do you think he is?

HH<-----Keep your thoughts in the snorkeling depths. Going this deep requires scuba gear--------------
    I'm not a hot sauce guy in general, so I've never tried Mike's recipes. I'm sure that for those who love hot sauce, they're perfect. And yes, considering that Mike has had the least offensive and dickish moments and worked to stay out of the fray as much as possible, I agree that if the phrase class act fits anyone in VH, it's Mike.