Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 07:11 PM
    Liked 6,057 Times in 3,501 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    All accurate. But to expect Ed to just say "aw Sam, that's all right, you only kicked me while at the lowest point in my life to sell some books, because I can see how you needed the money" is a little rich don't you think?

Sam of course had every right to do it. But having the right to do it doesn't mean there won't be consequences for it. The consequence could be that he is dead to Ed.

I can only speak from my personal experiences, and if someone aired my dirty laundry just among my circle of friends they would be dead to me, not to even take into consideration if I was famous.

I think part of the frustration is that people can't even ACKNOWLEDGE that Ed has good reason to be pissed off at Sam. No one is saying Ed is an angel, or DLR, or Al, or even Mike.

But even with all the shit Ed has done, I can understand him thinking that Sam crossed a line of no return. I get it.
    Understood.

My gripe is from a fan's standpoint. You can hate the individual but how can you be so indifferent to the material? How can you compartmentalize your own art to the point of non-existence?

Dave? Wolf? They're in the band and so it's head in the sand ostrich time? That's not rational. That's not the actions of someone at peace in their lives. Remember, it was the same way when Dave was out and certainly is the way Gary's era is treated.

Yes...it's Eds art to do as he pleases but he's not hurting himself...he's hurting the fans. It's so ridiculous, their own website doesn't even show the albums!

We can try and make excuses for it but it speaks volumes and in that sense, Sam is right about them when he takes his shots. They have acted like babies since 2004 with the complete lockdown on a massive chunk of their career.

I remember when I first got a computer and internet. It was 2003/4 and the very FIRST site I looked up was VH. The 6 pack albums were right there. Sam obviously didn't have a problem with it.
    Last edited by CaboChris; 05.19.17 at 10:31 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 12:58 PM
    Liked 270 Times in 131 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    You can hate the individual but how can you be so indifferent to the material? How can you compartmentalize your own art to the point of non-existence?
    What if in retrospect you (as the creator of the music) hate the material or feel you sold yourself out in creating it and would rather just act like it never happened?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 07:11 PM
    Liked 6,057 Times in 3,501 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by NoBrownM&M's View Post
    What if in retrospect you (as the creator of the music) hate the material or feel you sold yourself out in creating it and would rather just act like it never happened?
    But that's not the case with Ed. I don't know of ANY musician who hates their own material and besides Ed has already stated that the Hagar catalog is "great music off to college" or something like that.

Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies & Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 4,572 Times in 2,180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NoBrownM&M's View Post
    My general take on Sammy in all of this:
    Question: Do you think you and Eddie can get along again?

Sammy: Hey, anything is possible. Eddie is a great guy, great kid. I miss that kid I met when I first joined back in the 80's there. I miss THAT kid. Now he's just this bitter ***hole. Can't stand the guy. Did you hear what he said about Mike? Can you believe the nerve? F**ck you Eddie - F**k you. I'm done. I'm done with you. But can we be friends? Hell yeah, I love Eddie, he's a great guy and we'll do great things on stage again. It would be like the good old days"
    ^ Lol. He said he loved Ed before... can't stand Ed now.... F**k you Eddie...I'm done with you. And then says.... "hell yeah I love Eddie he's great and we'll do great things on stage again. It would be like the good old days"

bizarre

Question: Are the days over for you doing songs from the days Roth was in the band?

Sammy: Yeah I had a hard time singing that stuff. Especially Jump. The lyrics are like . . . I don't even know what they mean? "Can't see you see me standing here I got my back against the record machine??" What is that? I can't sing that. "Sky turning black, knuckles turning white, headed for the suck zone" . . now that's deep stuff.
    And I'm not defending Jump's lyrics (probably the silliest from the 6 pack)...but was he serious when describing his lyrics for HB?! Holy hell.
    Last edited by thismusicsux; 05.19.17 at 11:42 AM.

5. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

06.23.17 @ 01:45 PM
    Liked 1,709 Times in 678 Posts

Premium Member

But that's not the case with Ed. I don't know of ANY musician who hates their own material and besides Ed has already stated that the Hagar catalog is "great music off to college" or something like that.
    Ed probably appreciates the great music HE wrote. But probably views it more currently like this great tune:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

06.22.17 @ 06:58 AM
    Liked 1,031 Times in 634 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I am looking forward to the new book---sounds like it will be pretty cool
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 12:58 PM
    Liked 270 Times in 131 Posts

I can't help but feel that at some point it would be good to see the Van Hagar line-up do a tour at least, and an album would be icing on the cake. It's not what I prefer but none of us have any control over what will happen so, if it happens it happens. What's the harm for us Roth fans? Nothing. They take huge gaps of time-off anyway. Yeah, I gripe a lot about one vs the other but in the end there's room for this in my mind.

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 05:20 AM
    Liked 15,575 Times in 7,626 Posts

Premium Member

I would be disappointed if they reunited with Sam AND Mike, without doing it with Mike one time with DLR.

Mind you, this is all dreamland, as if we get any more VH, it is almost assuredly, Ed, Al, Wolf and DLR.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

11. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 11:49 AM
    Liked 677 Times in 369 Posts

Because of the conflicting history depending on who you talk to the only viable solution would be a 'The Dirt' style book where everyone gets their say and then the readers can make up their own minds.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

[QUOTE=bklynboy68;2021519]I loved them body slammin' The Clash during the US fest. Even Eddie bitch slapped them when they got stupid.
    [qUOTE]
    Can you elaborate?

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Destructo3 View Post
    Sure sounds like it. If true, I sure as hell won't buy it. Frankly I am done bashing Ed and tired of hearing others get press doing so. He's a flawed human being. We all are. He is also a recovering chronic long term addict. I'm not apologizing for him, but I understand the root cause of his bizarre behavior and what seems to be more of a failed memoy of the past. I would be stunned if Ed didn't have an extremely foggy memeory or even a distorted memory of the past. When I went through a bad football injury that left me with a year and a half recovery, I became horribly addicted to pain pills. There are a couple years I have completely lost and have no memory of. Like Ed , I should have died at least a dozen times. It's a bitch. Anyone who has gone through that knows how it changes you Into a person you don't recognize. Even worse, you have no clue just how derailed you are. Complete oblivion.

I'm in the extreme minority in that I didn't lose my family and was able to hang on to a couple of huge clients that give me a comfortable life. Statistically, over 80% of addicfs never recover. Ed's issues are all tied into his addiction or he has underlying issues we know nothing about. Nor do I want to know.

Ed's been trashed enough for his mistakes. I guarantee you there are many years of Wolf's younger years, he has no memory of. That is a guilt you never shake. I am satisfied he's basically a good human being who made mistakes and can't do anything except move forward one day at a time. (No pun intended lol) Seems like he has finally beat down his deamons. (My Angels, My Demons, Thorn in my pride!) Sorry, love that tune.

He will never be perfect nor who we want him to be. It's impossible to live up to your fans expectations when every mistake you make is publicized for the world to see. There are more positives to Ed than negatives for me. Time to move on and give him the respect he deserves for what he has created and given us. Thanks to primarily Ed, we all have this diversion from or lives and stress. We still need our heroes; but if we believe only people with no flaws are worthy, than we have nobody.

Enjoy what little time we have left. Before we know it, this will come to an end. At least we know they are still a band and at some point will tour again.
    Congrats on your recovery Destructo. Having said that it sounds like you want to give Ed a free pass just because he's had addiction issues but that wouldn't be fair to the others and nor would it be fair to him (it'd pretty condescending, actually). Everyone is flawed and anyone who's ever been in the band (with the exception of Mike) has come in for an even share of praise and criticism so it's all fair.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 5,748 Times in 2,860 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Until you walk a mile in someone's shoes as an addict, you can armchair quarterback all you want. But you don't know the first thing about what they went through. It's not about giving someone a free pass. It's about making shit right. Eventually. Or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

MWM
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 04:55 PM
    Liked 93 Times in 39 Posts

"Can't see you see me standing here I got my back against the record machine??" What is that? I can't sing that. " Sky turning black, knuckles turning white, headed for the suck zone " . . now that's deep stuff.

Poor Sam.

18. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by fudd View Post
    Until you walk a mile in someone's shoes as an addict, you can armchair quarterback all you want. But you don't know the first thing about what they went through. It's not about giving someone a free pass. It's about making shit right. Eventually. Or not.
    Whether you've been an addict or not is irrelevant to whether you hold back and say only nice things or not. Not all the things Ed did (that deserve praise as well as derision) were the result of addiction so therre'll be plenty 'fair game' to praise or criticise him for. And if you insist he should be free from criticism no matter what then he's also got to be free from kudos too as we can't have a one-way system of 'you can say positive things even though we don't know if they were drug-fuelled but you can't say negatives because they may have been drug-fuelled'.

An open, honest account is just that - warts and all - irrespective of the person's condition at certain unspecified and unverified points.

I also don't need to experience of know what someone went through - I just want to get as full a picture as possible. No armchair quarterbacking at all.
    Last edited by BlofeldsCat; 05.22.17 at 05:55 AM.

20. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 5,748 Times in 2,860 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I'm all honesty I really think Eddie felt betrayed by Mike. With him playing with Sammy. Now had he been lucid I don't think it would've been hell on earth as it's been portrayed. Same logic applies to Sammy. He won't be back because of what he wrote in his book. At the time it seemed like a great idea. Sam had all that tequila money and he was cocky. Now he's realizing that he shouldn't have done that.

There's an interview where Eddie acknowledges Mike. Like a recent one. Saying something along the lines of "I didn't mean to hurt anyone I just wanted to play with my son" so he can be genuine when he wants to.

I wouldn't worry. Mike will be back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. The Following 4 Members Like This Post: