Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Rock and roll has always had bands with huge egos, yet most seem to eventually work things through because they realize that what they do is fun and brings joy to their audience. Van Halen and Roth seem to have missed this point. Here is a band known for making music that is carefree and celebatory, yet their individual personalities seem to be exactly the opposite(although Mike seems cool).
    I mean look at the whole MTV thing in 1996. They get a standing ovation from their musical peers and others from the entertainment world and then they turn around and ruin a great night by bitching about what Dave said or what Ed and Al said. How many bands would love to be recognized like Van Halen was that night but they have to turn a great moment into shit all because of their friggin egos. I use to think Dave was the egomaniac in the band, but now since Ed has been sober (or trying) we are seeing what he is all about. How about Ed and Al discussing the MTV thing and Ed getting all pissed off and saying "If you (Dave)ever speak to me like that again, you better be wearing a cup!" Grow up Ed it's just rock and roll. What bothers me is that with age comes understanding and wisdom, and these guys are still children. I think that this "no news is good news" is crap and the delays in getting any official word is because things are probably not working out between the camps. I would hate to be Ed,Al or Dave in about 25 years when they finally realize that they fucked up a great thing because they refused to "let it go". Right now they would say "Oh, it's not that simple because there was a lot of bad things we said about each other over many years". That's a cop out because it is all in the way that you think RIGHT NOW. If these guys wanted to work it out they could. It's not like Dave has sex with Val one night when Ed was away, or Ed shot Dave's sister one day after having a case of Schlitz. Their squabbles are petty in nature but their strong egos are preventing them from admitting that they were wrong to have said this or that - nothing more. I guess it would be OK for this shit to be happening if Van Halen was an average band, but their music has had a profound influence in the rock world, but they will probably be best remembered for the fighting and that sucks.

Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 03:05 PM
    Liked 147 Times in 87 Posts

I hate to say you're right but you are. I was just thinking about this the other day riding home from work and listening to some Classic VH in the car. What you said makes perfect sense. It's sad it really is. Believe it or not I know some people in their mid 40's that still act like children.

------------------
    Al and I are the real Van Halen. There could always be Van Halen as long as it's me and Al. But if there was no Dave, this place would be pretty empty tonight. - EVH during a 1984 pre-concert interview before that night's sold out show

And there's only one David Lee. I'm the fun in Van Halen, always will be. - David Lee Roth

When classic Van Halen is together it's like one person. When I say 'I' in this respect, I mean my whole cadre that I am part of. I'm the tear boss, and I'm a fuckin' lifer. - David Lee Roth

"In America, we believe big time in publicizing the shit out of 'we ain't talkin'.' First we make goddamn sure that everybody knows we ain't saying anything..." - David Lee Roth

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dance Baby!:
    Rock and roll has always had bands with huge egos, yet most seem to eventually work things through because they realize that what they do is fun and brings joy to their audience.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm not sure it's the fun and the audience that keeps bands together. I don't believe for one second that VH and Dave got back together at this point for fun or for us; they did it for a combination of survival and money. Which is fine, because I'm not 14 anymore and looking to my favorite band to make a cultural statement; I'm just looking for some great music. If VH III and DLR Band had each sold 2 million copies though, I don't think there's any chance they'd be working together right now.

Bottom line is, they'd achieved so much by 1985, why expect them to stay together if they weren't happy. When we're young, we want our artists to be headstrong and to lead with their hearts, not their heads. Then when they do, in retrospect we wish they'd made the intelligent decision. Problem is, you don't make intelligent decisions with your heart.

All of us are subject to changing relationships and careers, why expect Van Halen to be able to weather these storms better than we do?

Anyway, that's another edition of "blah blah blah Theater". Be sure to tune in next week.

------------------
    www.vhlinks.com

If I don't meet you no more in this world, I'll meet you on the next one. AND DON'T BE LATE!!!

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Glenn - I completely agree with you about Van Halen attempting a reunion for financial reasons, however, it think it is more than just money. I think that the band does want to come full circle and shed a brighter light on their legacy in doing so. The way I see it, if Ed, Al or Dave did not care about "1978-1985 Van Halen", the bickering would have ceased around 1987 or so, but it continued to last throughout the 1990s which indicates to me that they did care. The shame in it all is that when they try to work together it falls apart because of their strong egos, like in 96 and possibly now.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

I think more of the "bitching" of the band in the late 80's and 90's was all because of the media kept repeating what was already said! the media plays with your mind and it seems that every time someone sees the DLR and Eddie "hate" statements that it just happened a short time ago. If it wasn't for the media to "bleed" these hatred comments into another decade, everything MIGHT be fine. BUT who knows!!!
    We need to wait for more VH music...FUCK the media

------------------
    Whoooaaa TRIGGER!!!
    -------------------------
    I am just a punk kid who plays guitar.
    -------------------------
    What is understood ..should not be discussed:"In Dave We Trust"
    --------------------
    A.K.A.:guitarsolos

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

05.04.08 @ 03:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dance Baby!:
    Rock and roll has always had bands with huge egos<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aren't those the waffle-like toaster treats?

------------------
    One foot out the door... both feet out the closet ;-9

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

05.24.08 @ 02:20 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Van Halen haven't died,just our perception of how they should be has

------------------

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

to sum up the whole silence thing has become pretty rediculous to us hardcore fans.

------------------
    Eddie Van Halen , there is no substitute.... Member of the G4 ...... fuck all boy bands....."Its restAraunt with an A !"

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Jamies\' Cryin
    Last Online

12.15.13 @ 10:18 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good point Rick S...We hardcore fans are TIRED of this "No News" bullshit....What's a 36 year old fan to do??? Go out and buy "Slipknot"????

------------------
    Non Stop Talker...What a Rocker!!!......
    "Barn Burned Down...Now I Can See The Moon"
    FREE THE WEST MEMPHIS 3

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

05.18.09 @ 11:19 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Halen88:
    What's a 36 year old fan to do??? Go out and buy "Slipknot"????

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

God forbid the wait gets to that point...

------------------
    I'm a Dirty Faced Kid...but not necessarily in a garbage can.

No news is good news. Reunion news is better news.

Strange is beautiful.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Glenn:
    b]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm not sure it's the fun and the audience that keeps bands together. I don't believe for one second that VH and Dave got back together at this point for fun or for us; they did it for a combination of survival and money
    I've been thinking about the reasons behind such a reunion, and the ONLY thing I can think of is that they are doing it because of the Hall of Fame. With the joke that the band has become (in the eyes of the general public/media) over the last 5 years or so, I think their chances of getting in the HOF diminished greatly, whereas before the fiasco they were a shoe-in.

They have enough money, I think they would rather stay home with their families than tour (Dave excluded), and they could simply become a studio band akin to the Beatles at the end of their existence. Actually, I would prefer that-I honestly don't care much for concerts, and if they were studio rats they would simply have that much more new music.

------------------
    Official Calculator of the VHLinks...and damn proud!

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just remember one thing. Dave was ready to get back with VH in 96. Eddie and the boys decided to hire Gary Cherone instead.
    They can try to say that Dave ruined it by saying this or saying that. Keep in mind, however, it was proven long ago (by interviews) that Gary was in fact hired BEFORE the MTV show.