Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 62
  1. #1
    Hang 'Em High James in New York's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.17.00
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,635
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 07:52 AM
    Likes
    3,295
    Liked 2,100 Times in 686 Posts

    Default Brand new Eddie Van Halen interview!

    http://www.musicradar.com/news/guita...vh-gear-641564eddie-main-650-80.jpg

    Here's a snippet, page one of twelve!

    It’s been 21 years since Total Guitar last caught up with Eddie Van Halen. So, after an exclusive invitation to visit the man himself at his 5150 Studios, MusicRadar's sister magazine pulled up a chair to speak to one of the electric guitar’s greatest legends…

    Every instrument has its pioneers - game-changing mavericks who push things forward - and if Jimi Hendrix kicked the electric guitar door down, Eddie Van Halen ran through it, picked up what was left, covered it in tape and built a stairway to the next level.


    What do you ask Eddie Van Halen when you have a once-in-a-lifetime hour with him? You ask everything
    Just like Hendrix, Clapton, Page et al, the idea of Eddie Van Halen doesn’t seem real. These people are heroes, otherworldly beings who exist solely on posters, album covers, stages and the imaginations of thousands of guitar players across the globe. Except Eddie Van Halen is real. We know this, because he’s sat next to us in 5150 Studios, playing the tapped part from Eruption.

    Eddie built the facility adjacent to his house in the early 80s and it has become the creative headquarters for every Van Halen album since, and the walls are lined with the guitars that bear his name. It’s lunchtime on a hot California day, the door is wide open and we have just been introduced to Matt Bruck, Eddie’s right-hand man for all things EVH brand.

    Eddie and his wife (and publicist) Janie enter the room accompanied by an excited Kody, the Van Halens’ famous-in-his-own-right pet Pomeranian. “[Kody’s] going to be on the cover of Esquire with George Clooney!” Janie proudly announces. “Yeah, me and him go way back” Eddie adds.

    We’re nervous. What do you ask Eddie Van Halen when you have a once-in-a-lifetime hour with him? You ask everything. From the story of that guitar and that amp and how they led to the creation of his gear company, to how he single-handedly became the greatest guitarist of his - and many would fairly argue - every generation since.

    What you find is that not only is he real, but Eddie Van Halen is one of the most humble, friendly and funny rock stars you’ll meet. And he loves talking about guitars…
    Last edited by James in New York; 08.23.16 at 10:07 AM.
    Fashion your life as a garland of good deeds.

    - Buddha

  2. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:


  3. #2
    Atomic Punk RRvh1's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.13.11
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ari-o!
    Posts
    16,430
    Favorite VH Album

    VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

    A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 06:04 AM
    Likes
    6,139
    Liked 6,982 Times in 5,015 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James in New York View Post
    http://www.musicradar.com/news/guita...vh-gear-641564eddie-main-650-80.jpg

    Here's a snippet, page one of twelve!

    It’s been 21 years since Total Guitar last caught up with Eddie Van Halen. So, after an exclusive invitation to visit the man himself at his 5150 Studios, MusicRadar's sister magazine pulled up a chair to speak to one of the electric guitar’s greatest legends…

    Every instrument has its pioneers - game-changing mavericks who push things forward - and if Jimi Hendrix kicked the electric guitar door down, Eddie Van Halen ran through it, picked up what was left, covered it in tape and built a stairway to the next level.


    What do you ask Eddie Van Halen when you have a once-in-a-lifetime hour with him? You ask everything
    Just like Hendrix, Clapton, Page et al, the idea of Eddie Van Halen doesn’t seem real. These people are heroes, otherworldly beings who exist solely on posters, album covers, stages and the imaginations of thousands of guitar players across the globe. Except Eddie Van Halen is real. We know this, because he’s sat next to us in 5150 Studios, playing the tapped part from Eruption.

    Eddie built the facility adjacent to his house in the early 80s and it has become the creative headquarters for every Van Halen album since, and the walls are lined with the guitars that bear his name. It’s lunchtime on a hot California day, the door is wide open and we have just been introduced to Matt Bruck, Eddie’s right-hand man for all things EVH brand.

    Eddie and his wife (and publicist) Janie enter the room accompanied by an excited Kody, the Van Halens’ famous-in-his-own-right pet Pomeranian. “[Kody’s] going to be on the cover of Esquire with George Clooney!” Janie proudly announces. “Yeah, me and him go way back” Eddie adds.

    We’re nervous. What do you ask Eddie Van Halen when you have a once-in-a-lifetime hour with him? You ask everything. From the story of that guitar and that amp and how they led to the creation of his gear company, to how he single-handedly became the greatest guitarist of his - and many would fairly argue - every generation since.

    What you find is that not only is he real, but Eddie Van Halen is one of the most humble, friendly and funny rock stars you’ll meet. And he loves talking about guitars…
    Very cool, James!
    Thanks for sharing.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

  4. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  5. #3
    Atomic Punk CaboChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.23.11
    Age
    45
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    15,742
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 01:12 AM
    Likes
    4,335
    Liked 7,891 Times in 4,615 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Any questions about new music and plans going forward? No? Yawn.

    After all...what's the point of the gear?

  6. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:


  7. #4
    Hang 'Em High James in New York's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.17.00
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,635
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 07:52 AM
    Likes
    3,295
    Liked 2,100 Times in 686 Posts

    Default

    Patience.
    Fashion your life as a garland of good deeds.

    - Buddha

  8. #5
    Good Enough cabomiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.11.08
    Location
    Calgary AB
    Posts
    2,613
    Favorite VH Album

    OU812
    Favorite VH Song

    Dreams
    Last Online

    12.14.17 @ 01:13 PM
    Likes
    2,950
    Liked 650 Times in 369 Posts

    Default

    Glad to hear Kody is doing well
    Cabo x 20
    Van Halen x 11
    Sammy x 20+
    DLR x 2

  9. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:


  10. #6
    Atomic Punk Dave's Dreidel's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.10.05
    Age
    47
    Location
    Kate Upton's Closet
    Posts
    37,932
    Favorite VH Album

    Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

    The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 07:17 AM
    Likes
    3,512
    Liked 18,163 Times in 8,977 Posts

    Default

    I am glad Ed is out doing interviews still, and that he is health and happy, but man, I could've written those interview answers myself I've heard them so many times.

    Not complaining, just saying.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

    Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

    David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

    Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

    Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

    DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

  11. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:


  12. #7
    Eruption NoBrownM&M's's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.31.06
    Posts
    930
    Favorite VH Album

    1984
    Favorite VH Song

    Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 01:20 PM
    Likes
    1
    Liked 462 Times in 214 Posts

    Default

    Did they ask Eddie if he's always played guitar? If he'd perhaps started out on a different instrument?

  13. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:


  14. #8
    Hang 'Em High James in New York's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.17.00
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,635
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 07:52 AM
    Likes
    3,295
    Liked 2,100 Times in 686 Posts

    Default

    Yeah just be happy he's ALIVE and doing well.

    New music will come that you guys can dissect, overanalyze, tear apart, criticize, and complain about.

    (Rather than just crank up and enjoy.)

    Don't worry.
    Fashion your life as a garland of good deeds.

    - Buddha


  15. #9
    Hang 'Em High Reckless Fable's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.30.02
    Age
    40
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    6,501
    Favorite VH Album

    All of them
    Favorite VH Song

    Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

    11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Likes
    2,246
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    This is a mag focused on gear & guitar goodness. Definitely didn't expect this to be an interview about any goings on with the future of VH.

    Nothing super new here, but still pretty fun to read nonetheless. Ed is really in his element with this stuff. He seems to really enjoy talking about making & fiddling with gear.

  16. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:


  17. #10
    On Fire DressedinRags's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.01.12
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    321
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 04:38 AM
    Likes
    132
    Liked 191 Times in 114 Posts

    Default

    Great interview. I'm not a guitarist (I play drums) but I still love Ed's quotes about tinkering with the guitar. Amazing.

    I guess not great that he calls Dave "our singer" but happy that EVH is still making music!
    1981 - Lexington
    1982 - Louisville
    1983 - Lexington
    1984 - Lexington and Cincinnati
    1988 - Lexington
    1994 - Cleveland
    2007 - Indianapolis
    2012 - Washington, DC and Nashville
    2015 - Bristow, VA

  18. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:


  19. #11
    Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.05.12
    Age
    42
    Location
    6300 feet above sea level
    Posts
    11,112
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm The One
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 07:32 AM
    Likes
    16,789
    Liked 10,895 Times in 5,736 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    Any questions about new music and plans going forward? No? Yawn.

    After all...what's the point of the gear?
    To make money...
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

  20. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:


  21. #12
    Hang 'Em High Reckless Fable's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.30.02
    Age
    40
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    6,501
    Favorite VH Album

    All of them
    Favorite VH Song

    Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

    11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Likes
    2,246
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DressedinRags View Post
    Great interview. I'm not a guitarist (I play drums) but I still love Ed's quotes about tinkering with the guitar. Amazing.

    I guess not great that he calls Dave "our singer" but happy that EVH is still making music!
    Nevermind.... :/

  22. #13
    Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.05.12
    Age
    42
    Location
    6300 feet above sea level
    Posts
    11,112
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm The One
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 07:32 AM
    Likes
    16,789
    Liked 10,895 Times in 5,736 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James in New York View Post
    http://www.musicradar.com/news/guita...vh-gear-641564eddie-main-650-80.jpg

    Here's a snippet, page one of twelve!

    It’s been 21 years since Total Guitar last caught up with Eddie Van Halen. So, after an exclusive invitation to visit the man himself at his 5150 Studios, MusicRadar's sister magazine pulled up a chair to speak to one of the electric guitar’s greatest legends…

    Every instrument has its pioneers - game-changing mavericks who push things forward - and if Jimi Hendrix kicked the electric guitar door down, Eddie Van Halen ran through it, picked up what was left, covered it in tape and built a stairway to the next level.


    What do you ask Eddie Van Halen when you have a once-in-a-lifetime hour with him? You ask everything
    Just like Hendrix, Clapton, Page et al, the idea of Eddie Van Halen doesn’t seem real. These people are heroes, otherworldly beings who exist solely on posters, album covers, stages and the imaginations of thousands of guitar players across the globe. Except Eddie Van Halen is real. We know this, because he’s sat next to us in 5150 Studios, playing the tapped part from Eruption.

    Eddie built the facility adjacent to his house in the early 80s and it has become the creative headquarters for every Van Halen album since, and the walls are lined with the guitars that bear his name. It’s lunchtime on a hot California day, the door is wide open and we have just been introduced to Matt Bruck, Eddie’s right-hand man for all things EVH brand.

    Eddie and his wife (and publicist) Janie enter the room accompanied by an excited Kody, the Van Halens’ famous-in-his-own-right pet Pomeranian. “[Kody’s] going to be on the cover of Esquire with George Clooney!” Janie proudly announces. “Yeah, me and him go way back” Eddie adds.

    We’re nervous. What do you ask Eddie Van Halen when you have a once-in-a-lifetime hour with him? You ask everything. From the story of that guitar and that amp and how they led to the creation of his gear company, to how he single-handedly became the greatest guitarist of his - and many would fairly argue - every generation since.

    What you find is that not only is he real, but Eddie Van Halen is one of the most humble, friendly and funny rock stars you’ll meet. And he loves talking about guitars…
    Hmm. Not according to some around here. I'm pretty sure he's the only one in the band that could generate 150 pages of vitriol because he said a couple lousy things about the former bass player...
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

  23. #14
    On Fire DressedinRags's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.01.12
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    321
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 04:38 AM
    Likes
    132
    Liked 191 Times in 114 Posts

    Default

    Page 5 - discussing his first interview.
    1981 - Lexington
    1982 - Louisville
    1983 - Lexington
    1984 - Lexington and Cincinnati
    1988 - Lexington
    1994 - Cleveland
    2007 - Indianapolis
    2012 - Washington, DC and Nashville
    2015 - Bristow, VA

  24. #15
    Atomic Punk Bad to the Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.05.02
    Age
    45
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    8,957
    Favorite VH Album

    FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 04:09 AM
    Likes
    1,067
    Liked 1,885 Times in 1,102 Posts

    Default

    not ragging the guy but is it just about gear?

    I don't play so if it is it's a waste of my time.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. New Eddie Van Halen interview - CNN
    By ziggysmalls in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 02.06.09, 12:00 PM
  2. Replies: 113
    Last Post: 01.15.07, 08:03 PM
  3. Rolling Stone Eddie Van Halen Interview
    By ZachenFoot in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07.21.05, 10:50 PM
  4. Eddie Van halen Interview from 04-25-95 in audio format
    By Jerel in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11.21.01, 11:32 AM
  5. brand new interview with mike
    By noodeling in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02.27.01, 06:38 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •