Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

01.21.17 @ 08:28 AM
    Liked 1,103 Times in 546 Posts

Premium Member

Default NGD... Kind of.

I've been of a huge Charvel trip since I bought my San Dimas earlier this year. I just missed a So Cal on Aussie eBay the other day and have been sulking ever since.

Anyway, I was just checking out an online shop in Sydney (where I've bought a few guitars before) looking for a Charvel and then I saw this.

It wont be in my hands for about a month, but she looks pretty friggin cool to me. Its got the EVH hard case too.

It's secondhand but apparently in mint condish.

I'm still looking for another Charvel though.
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

2. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

01.20.17 @ 07:21 PM
    Liked 548 Times in 256 Posts

Nice one.

Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

01.20.17 @ 11:40 PM
    Liked 623 Times in 355 Posts

Premium Member

That's a really good looking neck for a special, nice

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

01.20.17 @ 03:09 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts

Congrats! That thing looks gorgeous!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

01.20.17 @ 11:05 AM
    Liked 332 Times in 152 Posts

thats amazing!!!!!

Last Online

01.20.17 @ 03:40 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 44 Posts

Noice!!! In the most general of terms, I'm usually not a fan of natural quilt tops, but I'll make a HUGE exception for this one! That's one dead sexeh guitar! Congrats!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

Premium Member

I didn't notice this when I pulled the trigger on it but check out the placement of both E strings on the guitar. The high E is almost off the neck. The low E is way too far in as well. I'm going to contact the store tomorrow about it and maybe one of their techs can play around with it but if its not fix better than what it is now, I'm going to cancel it. That's basically unplayable IMO.

I know this was a problem when they were released, but I kind of forgot about it until I noticed it last night.

Has anybody here bought one of theses with this problem and fix it???

If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

01.20.17 @ 07:21 PM
    Liked 548 Times in 256 Posts

Yeah, it's really clear in the first pic you posted too. It's way out. What a shame, beautiful fret board.
    There isnít really any music that I canít stomach or I feel is unlistenableÖ but country music comes close at times. - Steve Vai

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

01.20.17 @ 11:05 AM
    Liked 332 Times in 152 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchie5150 View Post
    I didn't notice this when I pulled the trigger on it but check out the placement of both E strings on the guitar. The high E is almost off the neck. The low E is way too far in as well. I'm going to contact the store tomorrow about it and maybe one of their techs can play around with it but if its not fix better than what it is now, I'm going to cancel it. That's basically unplayable IMO.

I know this was a problem when they were released, but I kind of forgot about it until I noticed it last night.

Has anybody here bought one of theses with this problem and fix it???

don't worry about it... small adjustment. Some of my guitars have been like that and all you have to do is loosen the neck screws and shift the neck in the pocket and tighten them back up and that will (99.9% of the time) move then neck enough to keep the High E back in line and on the fretboard again. Something the factory should catch and don't ask me why they don't but it happens all them time. Its fine, don't cancel the sale just have a tech or yourself you understand what I am saying fix it. 3 minute fix..... literally. One of my old EVH specials had the same thing and I fixed it and its great.

Rob

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

Premium Member

Hey Rob. Thanks for taking the time to comment on this. Have any of yours been as bad as this one seems to be (especially in the first photo in this thread)?. It does look way out to me. Thre does seem to be a little room for movement in the neck joint but I just dont know if there will be enough.

I'm still going to contact the shop tomorrow and I might see if they can do the adjustment there. I dont want them to send it only for me to send it back a couple days later. It will probably cost $70- $80 to send it back to them... They should be able to take care of it for me.

If I do cancel it, it will still be NGD as I probably order a EVH Satin Red Wolf or a Charvel So Cal in place of it, but I would really like to keep this one.

I'll post back here tomorrow when I know more.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

01.20.17 @ 10:59 PM
    Liked 5,233 Times in 3,678 Posts

Premium Member

I've noticed the high E alignment is seemingly off on many of the new EVH guitars. Some are pretty bad, going by the photos online. Even a couple of the ones I've seen in person have had this issue. I've seen a couple of videos demoing the quick fix that Rob mentioned, yet tried it on one of my Sterling guitars, and it didn't seem to help much. Perhaps I'll have another crack at it.

One good way to tell (online or in person shopping) is to make sure the fretboard marker dots, other than the 12 fret pair, are exactly in the middle of the D & G strings - all the way up the neck.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

01.20.17 @ 11:40 PM
    Liked 623 Times in 355 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    I've noticed the high E alignment is seemingly off on many of the new EVH guitars. Some are pretty bad, going by the photos online. Even a couple of the ones I've seen in person have had this issue. I've seen a couple of videos demoing the quick fix that Rob mentioned, yet tried it on one of my Sterling guitars, and it didn't seem to help much. Perhaps I'll have another crack at it.

One good way to tell (online or in person shopping) is to make sure the fretboard marker dots, other than the 12 fret pair, are exactly in the middle of the D & G strings - all the way up the neck.
    I think it doesn't change much on the Sterling guitars because of the placement of the 5 screws instead of the rectangular four.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

01.20.17 @ 10:59 PM
    Liked 5,233 Times in 3,678 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yaminub View Post
    I think it doesn't change much on the Sterling guitars because of the placement of the 5 screws instead of the rectangular four.
    That's a good point, and I actually did consider trying to leave the fifth screw out altogether...

I mentioned seeing some videos about the neck shifting mod ^^^. One of them was from the Ernie Ball forums, on a Stingray model (I think?) with the 5 bolt design. He did it and it worked great. Go figure?
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

01.21.17 @ 05:51 AM
    Liked 482 Times in 290 Posts

As Rob said, all these problems are well worth fixing for such a beautiful quilt in the top and the lovely Birdseye in the neck. If you really tricked this instrument out with F-U Tone upgrades and a nice German Floyd and you correct the little problems you will have an incredible guitar. Any expense will be relatively small for such a gorgeous guitar!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

Premium Member

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I just spoke to the store and the said they are now on it and will take care of it. Also I have a 14 day return policy for it if I'm not happy (with free return postage).

Thanks again for the advise guys. I really appreciate it.

BTW, it should be here in 2.5 weeks today...

17. The Following Member Likes This Post: