Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30
  1. #1
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    02.23.07
    Posts
    2,352
    Last Online

    01.22.17 @ 01:09 PM
    Likes
    4,723
    Liked 753 Times in 498 Posts

    Default Racism in Canada revealed

    I know many of my fellow Canadians have argued that there isn't a racism issue here. Perhaps being in large cities with small First Nations populations, they don't see it...

    But where I live, I see it every day. And now a young man with a bright future is dead. Over a fucking flat tire...

    http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/new...st-nations-man

  2. #2
    Forum Frontman It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    43
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    32,322
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    05.28.17 @ 04:16 PM
    Likes
    1,096
    Liked 5,271 Times in 2,970 Posts

    Default

    It wasn't just over a flat tire.

    Racism will be an issue everywhere but for the most part it's not here. My office layout starting with me background wise (European, Asian, East Indian, Asian, Pakistani, Asian, Asian, Middle eastern, African, Pakistani, African, east Indian. Race a complete non issue unless we're making fun of ourselves.

  3. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  4. #3
    Sinner's Swing!
    Join Date
    11.26.10
    Age
    45
    Posts
    3,130
    Last Online

    05.28.17 @ 12:49 PM
    Likes
    1,390
    Liked 1,157 Times in 688 Posts

    Default

    There will always be racist undercurrents.....Hate to say it but it's true. I know in my community, there are a lot of hypocrites who in the general light of day will go on and on about how horrible racism is, but get a couple drinks in 'em....Let's just say that a lot of that "enlightened" soap box speak goes out the window.

    I've also noticed a hell of a lot more blatant racism with all the Chinese foreign ownership issues we are having here.
    Chinese realtors are having their signs defaced, spray painted "ch*nk" on cars, fences, or homes, etc. It's gotten real bad.
    Hate to say it, but no matter how hard society rails against it, it's never very far below the surface.

  5. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  6. #4
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    02.23.07
    Posts
    2,352
    Last Online

    01.22.17 @ 01:09 PM
    Likes
    4,723
    Liked 753 Times in 498 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    It wasn't just over a flat tire.

    Racism will be an issue everywhere but for the most part it's not here. My office layout starting with me background wise (European, Asian, East Indian, Asian, Pakistani, Asian, Asian, Middle eastern, African, Pakistani, African, east Indian. Race a complete non issue unless we're making fun of ourselves.
    Okay....getting killed over driving into a farmyard to ask for help with a flat tire. Driving on a rim. That better?

    Fact is, had it been me and 4 white friends, or ANY car full of whites, NOBODY would have been shot.

    To the best of my knowledge, you have never visited the Prairies, Mike. You have no idea how bad the racism is here. Not against other "brown" people, just First Nations.

    It was like a slap across my face when I came here, and I see it right in front of my eyes on almost a daily basis. It's sickening.

  7. #5
    Atomic Punk Dave's Dreidel's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.10.05
    Age
    46
    Location
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Posts
    34,375
    Favorite VH Album

    Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

    Little Guitars
    Last Online

    05.28.17 @ 01:40 PM
    Likes
    2,824
    Liked 15,206 Times in 7,451 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    It's the same everywhere Angel.

    Try going into certain parts of Washington DC, or Baltimore, or Chicago as a white guy, especially at night.

    It's basis human nature that a certain percentage of your population wants to blame their problems on a race, gender, sexual orientation, etc. instead of looking in the mirror and saying "yeah, it's me".

    And there is also a percentage of the population that is just plain ole fucked in the head, or as they say, "they just want to watch the world burn."
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

    Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

    David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

    Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

    Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

    DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

  8. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  9. #6
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    02.23.07
    Posts
    2,352
    Last Online

    01.22.17 @ 01:09 PM
    Likes
    4,723
    Liked 753 Times in 498 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    It's the same everywhere Angel.

    Try going into certain parts of Washington DC, or Baltimore, or Chicago as a white guy, especially at night.

    It's basis human nature that a certain percentage of your population wants to blame their problems on a race, gender, sexual orientation, etc. instead of looking in the mirror and saying "yeah, it's me".

    And there is also a percentage of the population that is just plain ole fucked in the head, or as they say, "they just want to watch the world burn."
    Well, I blame First Nations issues on the "white man"...why shouldn't they? If this country would just teach the true and complete history of this land and the original peoples, a lot of the issues wouldn't exist.

  10. #7
    Atomic Punk ziggysmalls's Avatar
    Join Date
    11.24.03
    Location
    Cleveland, Oh
    Posts
    11,961
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

    05.28.17 @ 04:05 AM
    Likes
    1,927
    Liked 3,789 Times in 1,959 Posts

    Default

    The issues would still exist.

    Take the states. I have been aware of slavery from my very first memories of a kid growing up. I am 47. For those a little younger there was this pretty freaking historic event called Roots which showed it to the world. Today I can hear Michelle Obama speak about how the house she lived in was built by slaves. Racism is still here. Its here for the Native American as well. I still hear people make snide remarks about Jewish people and yet we all know about the Holocaust. I still hear Italians make fun of the Irish and vice versa. I still hear Pollack jokes. You can watch the Academy Awards and see the black host make fun of Asian people.

    Then you go into Africa and you can see genocide being performed on various ethnic groups among people of the same color.

    Its a part of human nature and thinking that education, knowledge and teaching is going to get rid of it....well it can help but it won't stop all.

    People are scum. We have people who prey upon children for sex. We have people that murder innocent humans. Hell in the states we have people killing cops.

    Humans are sometimes just capable of doing terrible things.

  11. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  12. #8
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    02.23.07
    Posts
    2,352
    Last Online

    01.22.17 @ 01:09 PM
    Likes
    4,723
    Liked 753 Times in 498 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    The issues would still exist.

    Take the states. I have been aware of slavery from my very first memories of a kid growing up. I am 47. For those a little younger there was this pretty freaking historic event called Roots which showed it to the world. Today I can hear Michelle Obama speak about how the house she lived in was built by slaves. Racism is still here. Its here for the Native American as well. I still hear people make snide remarks about Jewish people and yet we all know about the Holocaust. I still hear Italians make fun of the Irish and vice versa. I still hear Pollack jokes. You can watch the Academy Awards and see the black host make fun of Asian people.

    Then you go into Africa and you can see genocide being performed on various ethnic groups among people of the same color.

    Its a part of human nature and thinking that education, knowledge and teaching is going to get rid of it....well it can help but it won't stop all.

    People are scum. We have people who prey upon children for sex. We have people that murder innocent humans. Hell in the states we have people killing cops.

    Humans are sometimes just capable of doing terrible things.
    They say 40% of the mainstream population supports First Nation rights. 40% can be convinced, and the other 20% will never change no matter what.

    I've tried to educate that 20%...they're right...they will never change.

    But you only see it against First Nations here...

  13. #9
    Forum Frontman It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    43
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    32,322
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    05.28.17 @ 04:16 PM
    Likes
    1,096
    Liked 5,271 Times in 2,970 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cdnangel View Post
    They say 40% of the mainstream population supports First Nation rights. 40% can be convinced, and the other 20% will never change no matter what.

    I've tried to educate that 20%...they're right...they will never change.

    But you only see it against First Nations here...
    Why are people only racist against first Nations people?

  14. #10
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    02.23.07
    Posts
    2,352
    Last Online

    01.22.17 @ 01:09 PM
    Likes
    4,723
    Liked 753 Times in 498 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    Why are people only racist against first Nations people?
    Great question! And one that I don't know the answer to. It's passed down generation to generation...and this province is always way behind the times. Residential schools started closing in the 50's, but the last one here didn't close until 1996. Yet most whites here think the schools were 100 years ago.

    I recently met a 15 year old who claimed that the white man was here before the Indigenous people. This is the shit that gets passed down generation after generation.

  15. #11
    Forum Frontman It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    43
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    32,322
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    05.28.17 @ 04:16 PM
    Likes
    1,096
    Liked 5,271 Times in 2,970 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cdnangel View Post
    Great question! And one that I don't know the answer to. It's passed down generation to generation...and this province is always way behind the times. Residential schools started closing in the 50's, but the last one here didn't close until 1996. Yet most whites here think the schools were 100 years ago.

    I recently met a 15 year old who claimed that the white man was here before the Indigenous people. This is the shit that gets passed down generation after generation.
    This sounds more like a regional thing. Hard to undo that sort of thinking when passed down.

  16. #12
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    02.23.07
    Posts
    2,352
    Last Online

    01.22.17 @ 01:09 PM
    Likes
    4,723
    Liked 753 Times in 498 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    This sounds more like a regional thing. Hard to undo that sort of thinking when passed down.
    Sure is. Fucking redneck hillbillies...

    Big region though. It's like this in all 3 prairie provinces. SK has a long history of racism though. KKK is alive and well here...
    Last edited by cdnangel; 08.20.16 at 04:50 AM.

  17. #13
    Forum Frontman It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    43
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    32,322
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    05.28.17 @ 04:16 PM
    Likes
    1,096
    Liked 5,271 Times in 2,970 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cdnangel View Post
    Okay....getting killed over driving into a farmyard to ask for help with a flat tire. Driving on a rim. That better?

    Fact is, had it been me and 4 white friends, or ANY car full of whites, NOBODY would have been shot.

    To the best of my knowledge, you have never visited the Prairies, Mike. You have no idea how bad the racism is here. Not against other "brown" people, just First Nations.

    It was like a slap across my face when I came here, and I see it right in front of my eyes on almost a daily basis. It's sickening.
    fyi - i have spent time in Manitoba.

  18. #14
    Forum Frontman It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    43
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    32,322
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    05.28.17 @ 04:16 PM
    Likes
    1,096
    Liked 5,271 Times in 2,970 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cdnangel View Post
    Sure is. Fucking redneck hillbillies...

    Big region though. It's like this in all 3 prairie provinces. SK has a long history of racism though. KKK is alive and well here...
    i don't have enough time in the prairies to pass judgement on all these people. But the fact it's just racism against natives makes me think it's not just the evil white people who are the problem here. So these rednecks are ok with every other racial group (and there's a lot of them in Canada) but they save up their racism for natives? It's certainly strange. I'm guessing it's like anti black racism in Toronto. Groups like Black Lives Matter Toronto seem to think we, everyone not just white people, think badly of black people. Well, when most of the shootings are done by black people, yeah other people start thinking "what's up with them"? Seems pretty logical. I'm guessing it's a similar issue with Natives in the prairies. You have people who have racist beliefs taught to them young and then the behaviour of natives just confirms those beliefs over time. You're not gonna change what's taught in the home, you can change the stuff that happens after.

  19. #15
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    02.23.07
    Posts
    2,352
    Last Online

    01.22.17 @ 01:09 PM
    Likes
    4,723
    Liked 753 Times in 498 Posts

    Default

    It's systemic. And the legacy of the Residential School system is a fuck of a lot of traumatized humans.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03.23.12, 07:26 PM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03.22.12, 03:16 PM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03.17.12, 06:45 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03.17.12, 10:24 AM
  5. EU racism on the rise
    By graeme in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06.17.09, 05:09 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •