Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:38 PM
    Liked 11,773 Times in 6,520 Posts

Premium Member

Default Stream Ripping: How Google/YouTube Is Slowly Killing the Music Industry

Imagine a world where an Internet “machine” allows you to own any song, free of charge. After a certain amount of time, year after year, free song after free song, the populace will grow to think music is free. It will learn to expect music to be free. They’ll even begin to believe that music should be free. As by far the largest music streamer, that is what YouTube has been doing to music for the better part of a decade – designing an environment, intentionally or not, that is slowly killing the incentive for one of man’s most influential creative outputs.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywo...ree-literally/
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

2. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:56 PM
    Liked 1,042 Times in 525 Posts

There is a whole generation now who have never paid for music and find the idea completely foreign. You can't compete with free.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 05:11 AM
    Liked 648 Times in 358 Posts

I think the record labels and shopping services deserve as much of the blame as anyone. There aren't really any CD stores left where I am. A couple of vinyl places that carry a small selection of CD's, and one small chain that doesn't have a huge range outside the latest commercial stuff.

Try to buy on Amazon. Sorry, can't ship CD's to Asia. Try to buy on iTunes / Google Play. Sorry, title is not available in your region. Try to buy direct from the record label. Only possible with small labels, and even then, it's tough. Blues Pills new album comes out Friday. Their label (Nuclear Blast) is in Europe. They'll sell me the CD for €13 but charge me €28 for shipping. Give it a day however, and the whole album will be on YouTube. I have a friend who is visiting the UK at the moment, so I'll have him get the CD for me there and bring it back for me. But only because they are one of my favorite new bands and I want to support them. If they weren't a fave, I'd be perfectly content to YouTube it forever.

Some labels get it. I bought Massive's new CD on pre-order a few months ago. They're from Australia, their label (Earache) is UK based. Shipping was only £3 from the UK to Asia. So I got the signed CD and a T-shirt.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

Something stolen isn't "free"

6. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

08.21.17 @ 09:32 PM
    Liked 2,028 Times in 1,265 Posts

I'm glad I grew up with the generation that knew how music should be listened too. And had more appreciation for it in general.
    Big difference from listening to VH on a phone to listening on a serious system that can shake the neighborhood.

The only thing is....I can't imagine all the money I woulda saved on CD's, Vinyl, Tapes, Components and Cables.

8. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:41 PM
    Liked 2,386 Times in 1,488 Posts

Premium Member

Call me strange but I know how hard musicians work to become famous and I have no problem getting out the card for I tunes. My kids when they were young messed around with napster before it was shut down and when I found out about it I was pissed off.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

10. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:24 AM
    Liked 1,481 Times in 903 Posts

This is one of the reasons why artists charge a lot when they tour.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

I hate seeing shit like this.

Now that musicians can't make serious money on new music, what's the incentive to make it? New bands are fucked, they'll just have to deal with losing money to make music until they can build a following to tour on (if they can) Old bands just tour off the past and play the greatest hits and charge a fortune for the show and merch.

I've only bought a couple songs on Amazon (because they were only available in digital format) never itunes, still 100% cd's I don't care that it's outdated or whatever. I want the physical product, the cover, liner notes, cd's still sound better than Mp3 plus once you own it you can rip it to mp3 anyway and Amazon usually has the digital version already created for you free download when you buy the physical cd. Bonus

I hope cd's never go away, glad to see vinyl make a comeback too. There's something special about opening a big ass record and having to flip sides and all that. It forces you to sit an listen because it's not portable. I miss those days in a way, but I do love modern technology too. Making crazy mix mp3 discs for the care with like 60-70 songs on it is pretty sweet too.

Man, remember buying a 45? Just 2 songs, but I could sit there and listen forever back in the day. Not having to wait for the radio to play your favorite song! good times

13. The Following 6 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:37 AM
    Liked 18,148 Times in 8,966 Posts

BMI and ASCAP should be charging YouTube and other services on behalf of their artists.

Don't know why they didn't do that from the beginning.

YouTube is posting pirated material when they allow videos to be posted without the artists consent. Yeah, they didn't post it, but they provided the technology vehicle allowing the offending party to do so.

It's like saying I didn't rob the bank, I just provided the guns, the masks, and drove the getaway car. In that case, you are an accessory, just as guilty as those that actually robbed the bank.

To me, YouTube is guilty of theft, not sure why it has never become an issue.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

15. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    YouTube is posting pirated material when they allow videos to be posted without the artists consent. Yeah, they didn't post it, but they provided the technology vehicle allowing the offending party to do so.
    Isn't that essentially the same exact issue Napster faced? How did Napster lose and Youtube is still going strong?

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:41 PM
    Liked 2,386 Times in 1,488 Posts

Premium Member

You would figure with all the lawyers in the recording business they would go after Youtube? Maybe there is some sort of pay back from Google to the recording industry?
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:55 PM
    Liked 2,658 Times in 1,331 Posts

I just ordered a dozen new CDs from Amazon. And I know I'm one of the very tiny number of people who still do. I care so much about the music I like though that I can't imagine trading a physical item I can hold with art and liner notes, etc. for an invisible disposable chain of 1s and 0s. And I've got a full stereo with big cabinet speakers. I've got a collection of probably 300 dvd/blurays (and relic VHSs) and not one movie among them. All concerts/band documentaries, etc. It's fun to collect stuff you love. But I'm very aware of how "weird" I am these days.

19. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by edwardv View Post
    You would figure with all the lawyers in the recording business they would go after Youtube? Maybe there is some sort of pay back from Google to the recording industry?
    They are, I just saw this on the Rush Blog only about 6 weeks ago:

Rush is among a group of 180 musicians that have recently signed a petition calling on Congress to reform the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, with particular attention paid to YouTube. From Consequence of Sound (thanks Hank N):

... 180 musicians have signed a petition calling on Congress to reform the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, with particular attention paid to YouTube. Sir Paul McCartney, Taylor Swift, Kings of Leon, and Vince Staples ... U2, Pearl Jam, Rush, David Byrne, Jack White, Trent Reznor, Beck, Ryan Adams, St. Vincent, The Black Keys, Chris Cornell, Elvis Costello, Lionel Richie, Lady Gaga, TV on the Radio, Miguel, and Spoon are among the many other artists who signed the petition ... Enacted in 1998, the DMCA gives services like YouTube "safe harbor" from copyright infringement liability as long as they respond to takedown notices from rights holders. Given the sheer volume of content available on YouTube, many infringing uploads go undetected and are accessible for free to the general public. This loophole "has allowed major tech companies to grow and generate huge profits by creating ease of use for consumers to carry almost every recorded song in history in their pocket via a smartphone, while songwriters' and artists' earnings continue to diminish," the letter notes. ... the musicians say YouTube's practices have diminished the value of premium streaming services such as Spotify and Apple Music ... YouTube responded by pointing to the $3 billion in royalties paid out to artists. However, the company added that "the voices of the artists are being heard, and we're working through details with the labels and independent music organizations who directly manage the deals with us." Billboard notes that YouTube is currently negotiating new deals with major labels, including Universal Music. ...

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
    I just ordered a dozen new CDs from Amazon. And I know I'm one of the very tiny number of people who still do. I care so much about the music I like though that I can't imagine trading a physical item I can hold with art and liner notes, etc. for an invisible disposable chain of 1s and 0s. And I've got a full stereo with big cabinet speakers. I've got a collection of probably 300 dvd/blurays (and relic VHSs) and not one movie among them. All concerts/band documentaries, etc. It's fun to collect stuff you love. But I'm very aware of how "weird" I am these days.
    I buy cd's from Amazon all the time. Compared to the late 90's the cost of a CD is down considerably. I can remember going to Strawberries at paying about $20 for a new release. Now it's on average $10 bucks. I've even picked up some when I was putting together a project that required a lot of classic stuff like Yes and The Faces for about $5 each. The plus side with Amazon is the ability to stream your library through the Amazon music app so both of my sons listen to it all the time on their phones and kindles. Thankfully they like most of the same music as I do.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

22. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by sickman View Post
    I buy cd's from Amazon all the time. Compared to the late 90's the cost of a CD is down considerably. I can remember going to Strawberries at paying about $20 for a new release. Now it's on average $10 bucks. I've even picked up some when I was putting together a project that required a lot of classic stuff like Yes and The Faces for about $5 each. The plus side with Amazon is the ability to stream your library through the Amazon music app so both of my sons listen to it all the time on their phones and kindles. Thankfully they like most of the same music as I do.
    Yep, one of the CDs I just ordered was the remastered version of Perfect Strangers and it's $4.99. And that's not uncommon.