Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Yale: Dishwasher who smashed "racist" window can return to work

Yale University will allow the dishwasher who smashed a stained glass window depicting slaves -- prompting a firestorm of controversy on and off campus -- to return to his job, the university said.

The dishwasher, Corey Menafee, will be "allowed to return to a position in a different setting" starting next week after serving a five-week unpaid suspension, Yale spokesperson Karen Peart said in a statement to CBS News. Yale has asked the State's Attorney not to pursue criminal charges against the employee.

"We are willing to take these unusual steps given the unique circumstances of this matter, and it is now up to Mr. Menafee whether he wishes to return to Yale," Peart said.

Menafee, however, said he and his representatives are still "at the beginning stages of negotiating" with the university and he has "nothing concrete, nothing to confirm" an agreement to return to Yale, according to the school's student newspaper the Yale Daily News.

Menafee resigned in June after admitting to breaking a stained glass window on campus, Yale said.

Menafee said he was tired of looking at the "racist, very degrading" image and used a broom handle to knock the stained glass panel to the floor, the New Haven Independent reported. The window, which showed slaves carrying bales of cotton, was located in Yale's Calhoun residential college dining hall, according to the paper.

"It's 2016, I shouldn't have to come to work and see things like that," Menafee told the New Haven Independent. "I just said, 'That thing's coming down today. I'm tired of it.'"

Following the incident, Menafee was caught in a legal imbroglio: he went to court facing a felony charge of criminal mischief and a misdemeanor charge of reckless endangerment. His case garnered national attention, raising poignant questions about what constitutes civil disobedience and whether black Americans are obligated to work alongside symbols of their ancestors' enslavement.

The stained glass window was inside Calhoun College, named for former Vice President John C. Calhoun, an ardent defender of slavery during the 19th century. For over a year, a group of students and faculty have campaigned for the university to re-name Calhoun College and remove slavery-themed paintings and artifacts from campus premises. Earlier this spring, Yale President Peter Salovey said Yale would not re-name the college despite the campaign against it.

After the stained glass window incident, Yale said it was already planning to remove several images related to Calhoun and slavery from campus grounds.

So far, a GoFundMe page set up by student activists has raised more than $24,000 to "assist [Menafee] and his family in his interim of unemployment."
    https://www.gofundme.com/2dzf96s

http://heavy.com/news/2016/07/corey-...rrest-charges/
    Last edited by voivod; 07.19.16 at 08:18 PM.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:19 PM
    Liked 1,108 Times in 571 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    Yale University will allow the dishwasher who smashed a stained glass window depicting slaves -- prompting a firestorm of controversy on and off campus -- to return to his job, the university said.

The dishwasher, Corey Menafee, will be "allowed to return to a position in a different setting" starting next week after serving a five-week unpaid suspension, Yale spokesperson Karen Peart said in a statement to CBS News. Yale has asked the State's Attorney not to pursue criminal charges against the employee.

"We are willing to take these unusual steps given the unique circumstances of this matter, and it is now up to Mr. Menafee whether he wishes to return to Yale," Peart said.

Menafee, however, said he and his representatives are still "at the beginning stages of negotiating" with the university and he has "nothing concrete, nothing to confirm" an agreement to return to Yale, according to the school's student newspaper the Yale Daily News.

Menafee resigned in June after admitting to breaking a stained glass window on campus, Yale said.

Menafee said he was tired of looking at the "racist, very degrading" image and used a broom handle to knock the stained glass panel to the floor, the New Haven Independent reported. The window, which showed slaves carrying bales of cotton, was located in Yale's Calhoun residential college dining hall, according to the paper.

"It's 2016, I shouldn't have to come to work and see things like that," Menafee told the New Haven Independent. "I just said, 'That thing's coming down today. I'm tired of it.'"

Following the incident, Menafee was caught in a legal imbroglio: he went to court facing a felony charge of criminal mischief and a misdemeanor charge of reckless endangerment. His case garnered national attention, raising poignant questions about what constitutes civil disobedience and whether black Americans are obligated to work alongside symbols of their ancestors' enslavement.

The stained glass window was inside Calhoun College, named for former Vice President John C. Calhoun, an ardent defender of slavery during the 19th century. For over a year, a group of students and faculty have campaigned for the university to re-name Calhoun College and remove slavery-themed paintings and artifacts from campus premises. Earlier this spring, Yale President Peter Salovey said Yale would not re-name the college despite the campaign against it.

After the stained glass window incident, Yale said it was already planning to remove several images related to Calhoun and slavery from campus grounds.

So far, a GoFundMe page set up by student activists has raised more than $24,000 to "assist [Menafee] and his family in his interim of unemployment."
    https://www.gofundme.com/2dzf96s

http://heavy.com/news/2016/07/corey-...rrest-charges/

It's all about that payout now.

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 1,627 Times in 873 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Default Yale: Dishwasher who smashed "racist" window can return to work

Quote Originally Posted by VanZeppelin667 View Post
    It's all about that payout now.
    Why should he get a payout or even be offered his job back? He resigned after breaking the window out right?
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 8,798 Times in 4,765 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Van Halen View Post
    Why should he get a payout or even be offered his job back? He resigned after breaking the window out right?
    He shouldn't. But this is the PC world we live in. Destruction of private or public property is rewarded, it seems, as long as it's in the name of racial injustice. Ridiculous.

7. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

I don't think he's getting a payout from his employer, the gofundme thing is separate, other students supporting him I think?

The offering of the job back is probably to try and fix any PR blemish on the school but yeah, fuck that, if I did that at work, I'm probably getting fired, arrested and fined lol

9. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:19 PM
    Liked 1,108 Times in 571 Posts

I personally think he should have to pay for the damages regardless of what the reasoning is. What the employer wants to do with the window is their problem. I was just being sarcastic

11. The Following Member Likes This Post: