Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

03.02.12 @ 08:44 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have noticed a strong debate over Dave's vocal abilities, and if he could sing well if given the singer spot for VH. Now in comparison to Hagar, Hagar is the better singer technically. But Dave's voice had and still has personality.

But let's assume for a sec that Dave isn't the singer he used to be. Under those circumstances, could he pull off a respectable vocal perfromance on the next VH album. Yes. Here's why.

Production value: Dave sounded horrible on some spots on DLR Band. He sounded ok on the BOV1 tracks. The difference is in the production. Get a good enough producer to pace Dave's voice, as well as work on some tough spots, and you have one piece of the puzzle fixed.

Michael Anthony: I've never been a fan of Dave singing the chorus or background vocals on his solo stuff. I guess I got used to MA singing those parts. For example, I love the riff to Relentless on DLR Band. But when Dave sings the chorus, I just gringe. Had MA sang the chorus, that song would have been much better. In VH, Dave doesn't have to strain his voice for choruses that demand range and high level. That is for MA.

Add these components with proper tuning (maybe back to the brown sound), a couple of Dave screams (I saw him in concert, and while he cannot do prolonged ones, the man can still scream) and you have an album that can truly rock.
    Only adventures that I regret are the ones I missed - DLR

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:52 PM
    Liked 967 Times in 387 Posts

fuckin a! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

get me another beer!

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 01:22 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Originally posted by Edeble Ed:
    I have noticed a strong debate over Dave's vocal abilities, and if he could sing well if given the singer spot for VH. Now in comparison to Hagar, Hagar is the better singer technically. But Dave's voice had and still has personality.

But let's assume for a sec that Dave isn't the singer he used to be. Under those circumstances, could he pull off a respectable vocal perfromance on the next VH album. Yes. Here's why.

Production value: Dave sounded horrible on some spots on DLR Band. He sounded ok on the BOV1 tracks. The difference is in the production. Get a good enough producer to pace Dave's voice, as well as work on some tough spots, and you have one piece of the puzzle fixed.

Michael Anthony: I've never been a fan of Dave singing the chorus or background vocals on his solo stuff. I guess I got used to MA singing those parts. For example, I love the riff to Relentless on DLR Band. But when Dave sings the chorus, I just gringe. Had MA sang the chorus, that song would have been much better. In VH, Dave doesn't have to strain his voice for choruses that demand range and high level. That is for MA.

Add these components with proper tuning (maybe back to the brown sound), a couple of Dave screams (I saw him in concert, and while he cannot do prolonged ones, the man can still scream) and you have an album that can truly rock.
    Totally agree with you. Great post! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Last Online

12.13.11 @ 02:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Great post! You are one of the few people around here that knows what they're talking about. Hagar is the better singer but that means shit. Roth would also add many intangible things that Hagar HAS NEVER and WILL NEVER be able to add! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:55 PM
    Liked 183 Times in 80 Posts

Great post and I do agree. Also, Dave's voice is in better shape than it was in '96 and his last two solo albums. I still don't understand why people think Dave can't sing anymore. All of the boots I have heard from this past tour sound pretty damn good to me. Sure, the guy ain't a perfect singer, but he can hit the notes most of the time. He really didn't seem to struggle through any song but "Yankee Rose" on this tour and that is a hard song to sing...Lots of yelling. As much as you guys have said it, I had yet to witness the "howl" scream on recent bootlegs up until this year. He doesn't have the major power he used to have with it, but it sounded good when he attempted. He just overdoes the "wow!" scream too much and he only gets it about 50% of the time. Seriously, you guys who doubt Dave, listen to the Charlotte show at the army. He only cracks once I believe and it's on "I'm the One" another very hard song to sing. Listen to him perform "Little Dreamer" better than he ever has. The guy is obviously worried about his voice. He is trying very hard to sing like he used to and he pulls it off well. Lets remember that he doesn't tune the songs down lower than the original recordings. Eddie even did that with him in the early '80s and probably more. Oh, and on radio shows many singers who come and play with a band acoustically alter their voice so they don't have to yell over the softer instruments. Dave did that and that's the reason he sang lower and had trouble with the higher notes. Again, I am a singer. He sang almost all with his head voice and held back on the high notes...When he yells them (like he used to and does in rock concerts) he still sounds great, so don't fret. I'm like a broken record. I know Sammy has a better voice and I am a big fan of him and his era of Van Halen too, but you guys are all bein' too harsh on Dave. The only time I think he sounds shitty is when he uses that higher register and he's been avoiding it lately. I'm hoping he'll totally scrap that voice soon...It sucks. Anyway, my point is the same as the others': Dave can still sing a great album with Van Halen and almost sound like old Dave.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

can VH cut an album with Daves vocals? absolutley. Could they tour with his voice 4 nites a week for 4 months? Anyone who thinks he can AND sound even decent is warped
    The problem with self-improvement is knowing when to quit...DLR

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It is possible if they pace their shows from date to date, as well as time for him to rest while the other band members do a solo of their own.

Also, you can mix the sound enough to make Dave sound fine.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

May I also add that even Eddie said Dave was a trooper. I sincerely think Dave does care about how he sounds, and you can tell by how he is now trying to sing the songs on tour.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:52 PM
    Liked 967 Times in 387 Posts

May I also add that even Eddie said Dave was a trooper. I sincerely think Dave does care about how he sounds, and you can tell by how he is now trying to sing the songs on tour.
    i agree.

dave is still self-centered, still a wise ass, but he is trying to sound better. he wants back in.

i can admire that

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

01.13.16 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No no no no no no no.

What you're saying is, for Dave to sound respectable, he needs to be electronically "enhanced" in the studio, covered as much as possible with Mikey's vocals, and blended in with Eddie's guitar? And maybe he can pull off a short yelp?

That's desperation folks.

BUT.

I happen to think he can still do a great album. But the performance has to be there. If he doesn't sing well, there's no gizmo in the world that will make it sound right. I felt his vocals on Me Wise Magic and Can't Get This Stuff were highly processed to make him sound better. But I also think he was vocally out of shape, and he's worked on it and improved since then. And that's the key. You can't go into a recording session with the goal to make a mediocre voice sound "respectable" with gadgets. The performance is everything. But before y'all slice me to shreds - I do think Dave's fully capable right now if that's what the band ends up doing.
    Staying Frosty

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Take away the enhanced production, and you have the same situations Dave had when he was in VH.
    Eddie tuned his guitar lower for Dave, and MA took vocals on the choruses.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

01.13.16 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Take away the enhanced production, and you have the same situations Dave had when he was in VH.
    Eddie tuned his guitar lower for Dave, and MA took vocals on the choruses.
    I agree with that. I just think he could sing without computers or whatever backing him up. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Staying Frosty

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

Originally posted by Burning Tires:
    No no no no no no no.

What you're saying is, for Dave to sound respectable, he needs to be electronically "enhanced" in the studio, covered as much as possible with Mikey's vocals, and blended in with Eddie's guitar? And maybe he can pull off a short yelp?

That's desperation folks.

BUT.

Snip... .
    I agree!! Given today's digital technology you could make a cow in heat sound like Pavaratti.

I'll concede that Dave's voice and singing live on this last tour has improved greatly. Ok he can sing the old tunes.

Can he write/create new viable creative music today? I think not... his last release and the Bar-B-Q video don't give me a single indication he's got it any more... How about a little fire scarecrow?? Oh toto, we're not in Kansas anymore... oh my!!!

Your Milage may vary...
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Dave sounded horrible on some spots on DLR Band. He sounded ok on the BOV1 tracks. The difference is in the production. Get a good enough producer to pace Dave's voice, as well as work on some tough spots, and you have one piece of the puzzle fixed.
    If Dave's voice is the victim solely of production, how do you account for the slide from ALAE to YFLM, to the relatively simple vocals on BOV1, to the strained sounds of DLR Band, to the Marvin the Marshin impressions on his new video? The one real bright spot for Dave's voice in the past 10 years has been Don't Piss Me Off.

Along these lines, if you're willing to accept Dave's voice in some studio-doctored form that may or may not be replicated live, why not take it a step further? It's getting to the point with computers and studio tricks that maybe you don't need DLR in the studio to have DLR on the album. With some money being spent, Eddie could have a voice like Dave's synthesized. Wouldn't that be nice?

Unchained
    Last Online

03.04.06 @ 06:04 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Point 1. Eddie seems to think that Roth can't do it in the studio nor on a concert tour.
    Point 2. If Eddie don't want it, it ain't happening.
    Point 3. If Eddie don't want it, it ain't happening.
    Ponit 4. If Eddie don't want it, it ain't happening.
    Point 5. If Eddie don't want it, it ain't happening.