Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:49 AM
    Liked 66 Times in 35 Posts

Default Problem with D-Tuan has me stumped

So I added another PV WG to the family and it has an issue with the D-tuna that for the life of me I cannot figure out and I am hoping you guys can help me. The issue is when ever I engage it, it only goes up 1/2 step. Or another way to say it is that when ever I dis-engage it to drop tune, it only goes down 1/2 step. I understand how to set it up, turn the fine tuner on the bridge 1 turn, tune to D, engage and use the set screw on the D-Tuna to tune to E. The problem is that I have to turn the set screw in so far to get tune to E that it is at a very sharp angle on the bolt and will not dis-engage. Here is everything I have tried.
    * Standard E tune vs. E Flat tuning
    * Complete disassembly, clean, lube and re-install of the D-Tuna
    * Different length floyd bolts (the ones you tighten to hold the string in the saddle)
    * Different spring
    * Changing the fine tuner bolt
    * Complete removal of the saddle, clean, lube and re-install
    * Here is the kicker - A completely different D-Tuna with floyd bolt from another WG that works perfectly on the other WG but has the same issue on this WG.
    So I am thinking that there must be something in the set up of the bridge itself that is causing this.
    Thoughts?
    Thanks in advance - Brian
    Aint life grand!

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Last Online

Obvious typo in the thread header. D-Tuna not D-Tuan... oops
    Aint life grand!

Eruption
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 01:30 PM
    Liked 701 Times in 247 Posts

Is there enough tension on the tremolo claw springs when it's engaged to keep it resting against the body?

Also, is the tremolo sitting perfectly flat or level without being raised higher on one side of the posts?

Thinking...

4. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:00 AM
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

Sounds like you know what your doing. So many little things can be wrong and mess with a d-tuner. You sure it's sitting flush? The bridge I mean. My Pat Pending Peavey Wolf did what your saying. The bridge wasn't flat. Hard to see because it's slightly recessed. Couple of turns of the screw on the treble side of the spring claw made it sit flat and solved the problem. Here's problem I had with my EVH USA Wolfgang Stealth when new. To properly set up the d-tuner it would have had to sit inside the body of the guitar. Like the bridge was at an angle. Which it wasn't. The fine tuner screw/bolt on the bridge wouldn't back out enough. Took forever to figure that out. Finally I forced it past its stop point and then I could set up the d-tuner. Works great now. I was blaming the set screw in the d-tuner.

Strange though that you have a used Peavey and your having a problem. I assume it's the Peavey Floyd on it and not a different bridge? They are made by Ping and are awesome bridges. And the original d-tuner too?

Flip and mix up the clamps in the nut. Maybe the low e was over tightened and has grooves in it letting the string slip a bit. I had that happen too. Didn't think it was possible. It is. Doesn't solve the problem that your set screw is maxed out. Maybe it's like my Stealth was and the the bridge fine tuner isn't backing out enough?
    VH III is Ed's solo album. So everybody who keeps saying they wish he'd do one needs to stfu and listen to III. Then stfu again.

6. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Last Online

AFU - Yes it is the original Peavey Floyd and original D-Tuna. Mine also is a '97 patent pending. The back of the floyd is sitting on the body (not floating) but I did not mess with the posts. Also I tried with the clamp on the nut both loose and tightened. I will try switching the clamp out with another one. Also I will remove all the strings and springs so the bridge just rests on the body and try to make sure the posts keep it flush side to side. It does make some sense if I have 1 of the posts out of whack that I would have problems. I do not know a better way to level the bridge side to side other than to have absolutely no tension on it from the strings or springs. Is there any other way to ensure that the post height is correct? Also maybe it is a combination of all of this plus if the string retainer bar above the nut is not at the correct height a slipping string through the clamp and a bad angle on the nut could contribute to the issue.
    Thanks so much for the insight.
    Aint life grand!

Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:42 AM
    Liked 124 Times in 84 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LAD-1972 View Post
    Is there enough tension on the tremolo claw springs when it's engaged to keep it resting against the body?

Also, is the tremolo sitting perfectly flat or level without being raised higher on one side of the posts?

Thinking...
    Sounds like the spring tension might be the issue. If the spring isn't pushing the lock bolt up all the way it will lessen the difference between engaged and disengaged. Pull the bolt out entirely and push the spring up to retension it.

9. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:04 AM
    Liked 6,971 Times in 5,007 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by GilmourD View Post
    Sounds like the spring tension might be the issue. If the spring isn't pushing the lock bolt up all the way it will lessen the difference between engaged and disengaged. Pull the bolt out entirely and push the spring up to retension it.
    That's a great suggestion! Of course, along with a few others in this thread.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Eruption
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by GilmourD View Post
    I agree with your logic. Too bad Fender (EVH) didn't share the same sentiment. My MIJ EVH Wolfgang Special and a few early USA models had the fine tuner tension spring cut-off. I could never figure out why? I replaced it when I added a brass block and everything (including the dtuna) worked fine with the spring back in place. A head scratcher for sure!

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Last Online

Thanks for all the info guys - very helpful. The problem is solved. I removed the bridge and started by screwing the mounting studs all the way in and then backing them both off the same number of turns (2 1/2). I checked the pivot edges on the bridge and they were not damaged and they were in pretty good shape so no need to re-work them. Then even thou the d-tuna dis-engaged completely with the string lock screw it had, I installed a slightly longer string lock screw. I know that you do not want the head of the screw extending past the end of the d-tuna when engaged, but this one does ever so slightly. I lubed the d-tuna and the pivot points and reinstalled the bridge. Then I started in on the bridge leveling and spring tension. I began with pretty solid spring tension to keep the back of the bridge in contact with the body and raised the action just past the dreaded buzz. Once I was happy with that I backed of the spring tension just to the point where the bridge was resting on the body. I like easy tension on the tremolo. Finally I completed the standard set up and tuning of the d-tuna with tuning to D flat disengaged using the fine tuner and the set screw while engaged to tune to E flat. Presto - good as new and works perfectly. While I was at it I went ahead and set the neck relief. I mean really, while you are at it why not right?
    Thanks again for all the comments and advice. Good to have a group like this that you can count on!
    Brian
    Aint life grand!

13. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Eruption
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by FAN4EVER View Post
    The problem is solved.
    Good-job! Glad you got it fixed!