Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:02 AM
    Liked 11,785 Times in 6,531 Posts

Premium Member

Thumbs up Turkish Military Has Taken Over Country

Obama's 'ideological brother' goes down. This is good news for the U.S. and the world. Erdogan is pro Islamist and has flooded Turkey with Syrian refugees and ISIS sympathizers who have been causing all sorts of problems

The Turkish military claims to have "fully seized control" of the country amid reports of gunfire and explosions.

An announcer on Turkey's state broadcaster TRT has read out a live statement, reportedly on the orders of the military, announcing that the army has taken control.

The statement said the country is now being run by a "peace council", declaring that martial law and a nationwide curfew are in place.

In an extraordinary interview with a Turkish broadcaster, Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan called on people to take to the streets in support of the government.

Speaking from an unknown location on a mobile phone held up by the presenter, he said the uprising "attempt" was being run by a minority within the armed forces, warning that it would be given the "necessary response."

CCN-Turk, meanwhile, is reporting that a loud explosion has been heard at a state-run television building in the capital Ankara.

Gunfire has been heard at Istanbul's Ataturk airport, amid reports that all flights have been cancelled in and out of the airport.

According to one news agency, a top general is among several people being "held hostage" at the military headquarters in Ankara.

Military vehicles are said to be blocking two main bridges in Istanbul, while low-flying military jets are patrolling the Turkish capital, Ankara. 

The TRT broadcaster has now gone off air.

"It looks like a relatively well orchestrated coup by a substantial body of the military, not just a few colonels," an EU source told news agency Reuters.

"They control several strategic points in Istanbul. Given the scale of the operation, it is difficult to imagine they will stop short of prevailing," the source said.

According to Turkish media, the military statement said it had taken action to: "reinstall the constitutional order, democracy, human rights and freedoms, to ensure that the rule of law once again reigns in the country, for the law and order to be reinstated."

The military statement went on to say that "all international agreements and commitments will remain. We pledge that good relations with all world countries will continue."

The Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim earlier confirmed that military action is taking place, describing it as an illegal "attempt" by a faction of the army to seize power.

Mr Yildirim called for calm, saying security forces are doing what is necessary to resolve the situation.

He warned that those responsible for this "illegal attempt " will pay the "highest price."

Several world leaders, including UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon, have issued statements calling for calm.

http://news.sky.com/story/turkish-mi...untry-10503039
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

Depends on the Day of the Week
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, D.O.A., TYWH
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:52 PM
    Liked 1,329 Times in 799 Posts

The Atlantic has a nice summary of what led up to the Coup:

http://www.theatlantic.com/news/arch...rnment/491579/

~~8 U.S.C. § 1182(f)~~

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Eruption
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 12:25 PM
    Liked 913 Times in 484 Posts

There's a Turkey coup.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,354 Times in 3,194 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by ArtyBoy View Post
    There's a Turkey coup.
    I suddenly want subway for dinner.

Sent from my iPhone using swagger

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 07:32 AM
    Liked 10,895 Times in 5,736 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by ArtyBoy View Post
    There's a Turkey coup.
    I was waiting for that...
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Rover View Post
    The Atlantic has a nice summary of what led up to the Coup:

http://www.theatlantic.com/news/arch...rnment/491579/
    "The coup, if successful, poses serious questions for European policy toward Turkey. Angela Merkel, the German chancellor, has made Turkey, and Erdogan, the centerpiece of the European Union’s refugee policy. Under a deal negotiated earlier this year between the bloc and Turkey, each refugee who entered Europe illegally would be repatriated to Turkey in exchange for a legally registered Syrian refugee in a Turkish refugee camp."

Erdogan was also ready to give 3 million refugees Turkish citizenship which went over like a fart in church.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:35 PM
    Liked 1,140 Times in 650 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post

Perhaps a turkey club?

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

@

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Punch View Post
    Perhaps a turkey club?
    A melt.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post

Is it true that all their meat is turkey based?

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 07:32 AM
    Liked 10,895 Times in 5,736 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    If it's coming from Turkey then yes, it is true that all their meat is Turkey based.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

12. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Whatever the outcome, Erdogan looks weaker. The question is, is he going to chill out, or is going to go Full on tyrant now?

ISTANBUL –  Turkey President Recep Tayyip Erdogan claimed he is in control of the country early Saturday as loyal military and police forces quashed a coup attempt during a night of explosions, air battles and gunfire that left scores dead and more than 1,000 wounded.

Turkish Prime Minister Benali Yildirim revised the number of dead in the clashes to 161. Acting chief of staff Gen. Umit Dundar said earlier that among those dead were police officers, soldiers, civilians and more than 100 described as “coup plotters.”

Dundar said that officers from the Air Force, military police and the armored units were mainly involved in the coup attempt.

Erdogan, who flew home early Saturday, vowed that coup supporters "will pay a heavy price for their treason to Turkey."

The chaos capped a period of political turmoil in Turkey which critics blamed on Erdogan's increasingly authoritarian rule, which has included a government shake-up, a crackdown on dissidents and opposition media and renewed conflict in the mainly Kurdish areas of the southeast.

More than 2,839 people have been detained and more than 1,440 were wounded, Yildirim said. Colonels and generals implicated in the rebellion were fired and loyal troops rescued the military chief who had been taken hostage at an air base on the outskirts of Ankara.

Erdogan made his way to the Ataturk airport early Saturday and spoke to the crowds that gathered to greet him.

"They have pointed the people's guns against the people. The president, whom 52 percent of the people brought to power, is in charge. This government brought to power by the people is in charge. They won't succeed as long as we stand against them by risking everything."

Military chief of staff Gen. Hulusi Akar is taking over the command of the operation against the coup plotters, CNN-Turk said.

Fighting continued into the early morning, with the sounds of huge blasts echoing across Istanbul and the capital, Ankara, including at least one bomb that hit the parliament complex. Television footage showed images of broken glass and other debris strewn across a lobby leading to the assembly hall.

CNN-Turk said two bombs hit near the presidential palace, killing five people and wounding a number of others.

Earlier, the state-run television broadcaster TRT was similarly knocked off the air, but later came back online.

In his TV address, Erdogan blamed the attack on supporters of Fethullah Gulen.

Erdogan has long accused the cleric and his supporters of attempting to overthrow the government. The cleric lives in exile in Pennsylvania and promotes a philosophy that blends a mystical form of Islam with staunch advocacy of democracy, education, science and interfaith dialogue.

The chaos capped a period of political turmoil in Turkey which critics blamed on Erdogan's increasingly authoritarian rule, which has included a government shake-up, a crackdown on dissidents and opposition media and renewed conflict in the mainly Kurdish areas of the southeast.

Turkey, a NATO member, is a key partner in U.S.-led efforts to defeat the Islamic State group, and has allowed American jets to use its Incirlik air base to fly missions against the extremists in nearby Syria and Iraq. A coup against the democratically elected government could make it difficult for the United States to continue to cooperate with Turkey.

Turkey's Police Chief Celalettin Lekesiz said 16 coup plotters were killed in clashes at Turkey's military police command.

In images broadcast on CNN-Turk, dozens of soldiers walked among tanks with their hand held up, surrendering to government forces on Istanbul's Bosporus Bridge. Discarded gear was strewn on the ground. People, some holding flags, climbed onto the tanks.

Prime Minister Binali Yildirim has called all legislators for an emergency meeting Saturday, Anadolu reported.

In Washington, a statement from the White House said President Barack Obama and Secretary of State John Kerry agreed that both sides "should support the democratically elected government of Turkey, show restraint and avoid any violence or bloodshed."

A senior Defense Department official told Fox News that the unrest was having "no impact" on anti-ISIS missions flown out of Incirlik Air Base in southeastern Turkey.

NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg issued a statement calling for "calm and restraint, and full respect for Turkey's democratic institutions and its constitution."

The coup attempt began late Friday, with a statement from the military saying it had seized control "to reinstall the constitutional order, democracy, human rights and freedoms, to ensure that the rule of law once again reigns in the country, for law and order to be reinstated."

Fighter jets buzzed overhead, gunfire erupted outside military headquarters and vehicles blocked two major bridges in Istanbul. Soldiers backed by tanks blocked entry to Istanbul's airport for a couple of hours before being overtaken by pro-government crowds carrying Turkish flags, according to footage broadcast by the Dogan news agency.

But the military did not appear unified, as top commanders went on television to condemn the action and order troops back to their barracks.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/07...mpts-coup.html

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post
    If it's coming from Turkey then yes, it is true that all their meat is Turkey based.

15. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

@

Premium Member

Donor

Just the cold cut combo.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:25 PM
    Liked 531 Times in 278 Posts

Whatever the outcome, Erdogan looks weaker. The question is, is he going to chill out, or is going to go Full on tyrant now?
    IMO, short term he is going to continue to consolidate power and head towards ruling the country in a Saddam Hussein-style dictatorship. In the next few months, there will be a big public purge of the military as the coup supporters are weeded out. This coup attempt exposed cracks in Erdogan's rule and you can bet more terror attacks will happen in the country as ISIS supporters and Kurds continue to further divide the country. Long term, I see further instability and probably eventual civil war. Turkey is the next Syria.

18. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by T.B. View Post
    IMO, short term he is going to continue to consolidate power and head towards ruling the country in a Saddam Hussein-style dictatorship. In the next few months, there will be a big public purge of the military as the coup supporters are weeded out. This coup attempt exposed cracks in Erdogan's rule and you can bet more terror attacks will happen in the country as ISIS supporters and Kurds continue to further divide the country. Long term, I see further instability and probably eventual civil war. Turkey is the next Syria.
    I agree. I hope not, but I agree. It will be a shame if a country like Turkey gets changed into an Islamic dictatorship. Istanbul will dramatically change and women will suffer the most.

20. The Following Member Likes This Post: