Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pokémon Go

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:55 AM
    Liked 6,828 Times in 3,570 Posts

Premium Member

Default Pokémon Go

OK! Here's the thread for either the game itself or every story related to it.

It's only been out for one week and already it seems to have released a shit storm on our culture... from pure entertainment value to crime, safety issues, condemnation and even political conspiracy theories.

WTF Is 'Pokémon Go,' Explained
    Everything you need to know about app that's taking gaming outside.

This weekend, you might have noticed some people – more people that usual – wandering around staring at their phones. To the untrained eye, it might have just looked like more tourists than usual were descending on your town, trying to follow a digital map to their next location. But those playing Pokémon Go could tell what was going on. Since its initial rollout on July 6th, the app already has more Android installs than Tinder, and will soon have more daily mobile users than Twitter. It's already caused some skateboard spills, led a girl to find a dead body, and some not-so-clever teens allegedly even used it to lure in victims to rob. But WTF is it?

Technically, it's a free-to-play, location-based, augmented reality, multiplayer online mobile game that also supports its own custom wearable tech.

Huh?

It's still a Pokémon game, and has roughly the same principles as every other Pokémon from the past 20 years. You look for the critters, catch them, train them and battle with them. What's different here is that it uses the real world to inform your game experience. The game uses your phone's GPS sensors to track where you are, and makes use of a stylized Google map as the primary game board. Your character moves in the game as you walk around in real life, and events and objects – known as PokéStops – are associated with specific locations in the physical world. In order to interact with them, you need to actually walk to a particular place, like, in the real world. You can look at the game world through your phone's display, which serves as a viewfinder that mixes reality with game objects. Hence the term "augmented reality."

How does that actually play out?

For starters, Pokémon Go comes with no instruction manual, so you'll have to rely on your intuition (or Google) to figure out just how to catch 'em all. The Pokémon will show up at random, but you will not have to compete with any other players for them. You may also notice certain Pokémon cluster in certain spots – for example, fire Pokémon tend to be found near gas stations, grass Pokémon in parks, and ghost Pokémon after dark. (Though law enforcement recommends that you stick to daylight hours.) The more Pokémon you catch, the more points you score as a trainer. You also score points when you rack up free items at Pokéstops, or when you evolve your Pokémon. Once you've accumulated enough experience points to reach Level 5, you can train your Pokémon at the nearest Gym, marked by a wacky-looking laser tower in your map. The Gym will usually be found near a local landmark. Where most people see a pack of weirdos circling a statue and thumbing at their phones, you will see a path to glory.

You mentioned wearable tech?

Walking around all day staring down at your phone may be something you're used to doing anyway, but it's not necessarily the safest option if you're walking around a busy city. Don't worry, though, your phone will vibrate whenever there is a Pokémon near you, so you won't miss anything important. If you want to wear something that looks like a kid's Pokéball watch, there will be an official Pokémon Go Plus wearable released any day now, which is a $35 wrist device that pairs with your phone via Bluetooth, buzzes when you're near a Pokémon and lets you catch them with the push of a button.

How did all this get started?

The idea for the game was conceived in 2013 by the late Satoru Iwata, president and CEO of Nintendo, and Tsunekazu Ishihara of the Pokémon Company as an April Fools' Day collaboration with Google called the Pokémon Challenge. Revealed with a slick trailer on YouTube (which has since been viewed over 17 million times), the "joke" launched a fake competition to find 150 Pokémon hidden in real world locations. The trailer showed participants holding up their phones to reveal the creatures through the device's camera. Little did we know at the time that this would be the premise for the real game launched three years later.

How did it get so huge, so fast?

The game was originally supposed to be rolled out around the world starting in Australia on July 6th, and then it would launch in North America, before moving west to Europe and finally Asia. Things didn't quite go according to plan though. By the time the game was turned on in North America, demand was so high that it made the game's servers grind to a halt causing all kinds of problems. The game debuted at Number One on both iPhone and Android, and there were so many people trying to play it that the system struggled. Lots of players found that they couldn't log in, or if they did, the game would freeze and crash. As a result, the global rollout was paused while things were fixed, which is on set for this week.

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/...ained-20160711
    Last edited by Number 47; 07.13.16 at 04:15 AM.

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:44 AM
    Liked 2,858 Times in 1,069 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I've been playing since the US release last Thursday. It's insane. Everywhere I go people are playing. Every time I walk my dog I meet people playing. If I go downtown everybody is playing. My job campus is full of people playing. I never anticipated it catching on this quickly.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:27 AM
    Liked 2,385 Times in 1,488 Posts

Premium Member

Reminds me of a Star Trek episode where they all started playing a game and it took control of their minds.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

4. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:46 AM
    Liked 1,689 Times in 644 Posts

We're doomed.

"The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

6. The Following 7 Members Like This Post:

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:33 AM
    Liked 531 Times in 278 Posts

Yesterday, my son and I were taking a bike ride along coastal Huntington Beach and milling around the pier like zombies among the dense crowd of beach-goers there were probably a dozen+ people of all ages with their faces buried in their phones at least several clearly playing the app. We had to constantly yell "wake up!" to avoid these idiots walking right in front of us. I can easily understand accounts of people lost in the game walking into walls, in front of cars, etc based on what I saw.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Holy fuck! I really thought the Zombie Apocalypse was gonna be way more cool...Like in Zombieland!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:45 AM
    Liked 2,234 Times in 1,352 Posts

my cousin reported that she saw her mailman doing this while on his mail route WTF?

and another report is that it is a conduit for pedophiles !!!!!

I dont know what to make of it all

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

Yeah....
    No.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:47 AM
    Liked 18,128 Times in 8,952 Posts

It's a security risk as it takes control of your phone's GPS and camera, email, Google docs, etc.

No thank you.

It's already more popular than Tinder. When people would rather play a video game on their phone instead of fucking, you know the world needs to end.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

12. The Following 6 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 05:36 AM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member

Can't believe someone hasn't been run over and killed yet. Matter of time I guess. In San Diego a couple of people have literally walked off cliffs doing this. Didn't die tho.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 05:36 AM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    When people would rather play a video game on their phone instead of fucking, you know the world needs to end.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:25 AM
    Liked 787 Times in 378 Posts

Premium Member

Pokemon Go
    Pokemon Go DIE!

I'm kidding. Just be careful not to walk into traffic, always respect private grounds, and be careful the app isn't actually luring you or your children into the trap of armed robbers or serial killers.
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:21 AM
    Liked 650 Times in 369 Posts

And have some fucking respect.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/07/12/tech...ust-arlington/

Players of Pokemon Go are finding critters everywhere, including some places that are considered to be hallowed ground and inappropriate for gaming.
    The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum and Arlington National Cemetery, both in Washington, DC area, have both issued appeals for players to avoid hunting Pokemon on their sites.

"Playing Pokemon Go in a memorial dedicated to the victims of Nazism is extremely inappropriate," said Andy Hollinger, director of communications at the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington, D.C., in a statement sent to CNNMoney.
    "We are attempting to have the Museum removed from the game," the statement said.
    Arlington, the burial ground for the nation's war dead, tweeted out a somber request: "We do not consider playing 'Pokemon Go' to be appropriate decorum on the grounds of ANC. We ask all visitors to refrain from such activity."
    Pokemon Go has a link set up for people to report sensitive locations and contact on its website.

The game, which is played on smart phones, has become crazy popular since it was launched last Thursday. It superimposes virtual creatures in the real world using your camera and augmented reality. It has players exploring their real-life neighborhoods to capture Pokemon creatures.
    Other hallowed locations where Pokemon have reportedly been spotted include the Auschwitz museum in Poland, the Los Angeles Museum of the Holocaust, the 9/11 Memorial in New York City, the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington and monuments in national parks.
    Pawel Sawikci, a spokesman for the Auschwitz Memorial, told CNNMoney that he wasn't familiar with the game, but has seen screenshots posted to Twitter of the use of Pokemon Go in Holocaust memorials.
    Cabo x 20
    Van Halen x 11
    Sammy x 20+
    DLR x 2

17. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:26 AM
    Liked 6,970 Times in 5,006 Posts

Premium Member

We've all seen that cartoon image, where Batman slaps Robin, right?

Just saw a Pokemon related one on FB...

"I just found a..." **slap** "You're 36..." ha-ha
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:55 AM
    Liked 6,828 Times in 3,570 Posts

Premium Member