Favorite VH Album

1 & 2 , Fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

04.13.18 @ 06:40 AM
    Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by garbeaj View Post
    Here is a clip I made of me playing some riffs from "Jamie's Cryin'" to demonstrate the tuning offsets from the album that I posted above:
    Used to play this song live a long time ago .

The "J" chord (A term my friends and I came up with a long time ago for dissonance even before Van Halen arrived) I believe ,was played with only one finger

No low E string note or just BARELY, BARELY brushed open low E

open A

open D

E note on G string, 9th fret index finger (only fingered note)

open B

open high E.

Turn the pick semi vertical and aggressively glide it down toward your feet .This makes the fretted note stand out and creates some true and false harmonics to the open strings (depending on the pick location) when done correctly

You are hitting an A (7th fret D string)

and a D (5th fret A string)

But not getting the ring of the open A and open D. Creating harmonics with the pick is the key

Try it once ,see what you think. I could be wrong but it sounded as correct to the original as it could to me

I saw Ed tuning on stage in the old days (women and children first tour) with headphones and using harmonics to tune by ear while, Dave was BSing the crowd .Portable tuners were barley available then and none had bypass switches or were even visible in low light conditions .This over sophisticated tuning analyzing you guys have figured out is impressive ! We used to go to the piano play an E or Eb and then use harmonics to tune the rest. Oh technology
    Last edited by shermanpup; 02.01.17 at 05:48 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

12.26.18 @ 02:20 PM
    Liked 631 Times in 394 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shermanpup View Post
    Used to play this song live a long time ago .

The "J" chord (A term my friends and I came up with a long time ago for dissonance even before Van Halen arrived) I believe ,was played with only one finger

No low E string note or just BARELY, BARELY brushed open low E

open A

open D

E note on G string, 9th fret index finger (only fingered note)

open B

open high E.

Turn the pick semi vertical and aggressively glide it down toward your feet .This makes the fretted note stand out and creates some true and false harmonics to the open strings (depending on the pick location) when done correctly

You are hitting an A (7th fret D string)

and a D (5th fret A string)

But not getting the ring of the open A and open D. Creating harmonics with the pick is the key

Try it once ,see what you think. I could be wrong but it sounded as correct to the original as it could to me

I saw Ed tuning on stage in the old days (women and children first tour) with headphones and using harmonics to tune by ear while, Dave was BSing the crowd .Portable tuners were barley available then and none had bypass switches or were even visible in low light conditions .This over sophisticated tuning analyzing you guys have figured out is impressive ! We used to go to the piano play an E or Eb and then use harmonics to tune the rest. Oh technology
    The chord you are thinking of his simply a D5 power chord at the 5th position with the open B string ringing.

I can go into a long explanation of why this is so, but I might have to do a lesson thread later on just "Jamie's Cryin'" in order to get the point across without derailing this thread.

Until I take the time to do such a thread, I can say that listening to the isolated track at half-speed for this chord should bear out this fingering for you pretty easily.

The official transcription in the Cherry Lane Publishing TAB book for the first album (and all subsequent books which are just reprints of the Cherry Lane books) was done by Wolf Marshall and he also came up with a crazy complicated way to play this simple chord. I was playing it the way Wolf Marshall played it for decades, but listening to the isolated track at half-speed and going over it with my friend Bill and another friend showed me the error of my ways and the error of these complicated fingering. It's just a plain D5 power chord at the 5th fret with the open B ringing.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.13.19 @ 03:51 PM
    Liked 26 Times in 21 Posts

I got my strobo plus hd today. I an going to have to add the songs manually. I can't get the tuner connected to the peterson site on my laptop. 1 1/2 hours on phone with peterson and 2 full hours with Windows support and the peterson driver will not work with Windows 10. I hate computers. I'm going to give peterson a call back when their computer expert is there but I'm not holding out any hope. Garbeaj I will add the tuning offsets manually. The tuner looks real nice. I'm going to try it again either later or tomorrow. I'll let you know how it works out. I was looking forward to adding the metronome feature but I don't think I'll be able to. Peterson says it should work so I guess I'm special. I hate computers.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Mikew9788 View Post
    I got my strobo plus hd today. I an going to have to add the songs manually. I can't get the tuner connected to the peterson site on my laptop. 1 1/2 hours on phone with peterson and 2 full hours with Windows support and the peterson driver will not work with Windows 10. I hate computers. I'm going to give peterson a call back when their computer expert is there but I'm not holding out any hope. Garbeaj I will add the tuning offsets manually. The tuner looks real nice. I'm going to try it again either later or tomorrow. I'll let you know how it works out. I was looking forward to adding the metronome feature but I don't think I'll be able to. Peterson says it should work so I guess I'm special. I hate computers.
    Hmm...that sounds strange. I have Windows 10 and it works fine. You have to use Google Chrome for your browser in order for it to work...try that. I have an old Dell laptop from 2010 that I have updated to Windows 10 a long time ago and I've never had any problems. I added the metronome feature (which is excellent by the way) as soon as I got the unit and it went smoothly.

If you aren't using Google Chrome for your browser to reach the Peterson site, I'll bet that is what is causing the problem.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

I installed Google Chrome just for this. Neither peterson nor Microsoft could figure it out. The computer recognizes the tuner but peterson connect does not. I'm going to call peterson again tomorrow. I have shit luck.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Mikew9788 View Post
    I installed Google Chrome just for this. Neither peterson nor Microsoft could figure it out. The computer recognizes the tuner but peterson connect does not. I'm going to call peterson again tomorrow. I have shit luck.
    I tried connecting mine again (you do it every once in a while for software/firmware updates) and I didn't have any issues. Have you created an account? Did you watch the how-to videos on YouTube?
    Last edited by garbeaj; 02.07.17 at 04:14 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I & Balance
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One & Feelin'
    Last Online

06.07.18 @ 11:54 PM
    Liked 318 Times in 169 Posts

Garbeaj, did you by chance have the tuner installed BEFORE you upgraded to Windows 10? I'm just curious due to possible driver conflicts. I work in IT so maybe I can be of some help.

Mike9788, maybe try running the Windows 10 driver in Compatibility Mode for Windows 8 or 7? (Right click the .exe, go to Properties, then select the Compatibility tab. Tick the box to 'Run This Program in Compatibility Mode for...' then select Windows 8, or Windows 7 in the drop down box).

Also, Windows 10 LOVES requiring you to right-click any given executable and selecting 'Run This Program as Administrator' to get shit to install correctly.

I had to ROYALLY screw with my printer drivers to get them to install after 'upgrading' to Windows 10.

Again, I'm not at all familiar with the Peterson drivers or software... just trying to offer some help.

8. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Yes, I connected to the Peterson website back in 2013 when I bought it, well before I updated my laptop to Windows 10 a few months ago.

Updating to Windows 10 did destroy my printer compatibility. My printer is no longer supported by the company (Lexmark) and there is no driver update for Windows 10. I still can't use most features of my printer. If I want to just print a Word document I sometimes have to uninstall and reinstall the last drivers. Pain in the ass.

10. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

That's funny. After I upgraded to Windows 10 I could not get my print drivers to work either. I called Microsoft support and theyou remotely control your computer and they fixed it real quick. They have good tech people. I did the same thing today and they spent nearly two hours and they could not get it to work. The computer recognizes the tuner. The peterson connect app does not. To answer garbeaj question I did create an account and register the tuner. Stealth 5150 I will try what you said tomorrow. Without being able to connect this thing it is almost unless. Garbeaj I tuned to your atbl offsets and it was awsome but it took a long time not being able to load the preset. You have to manually change the offset for every string and go through the strings a few times for the tuning to settle. I'm going to call peterson and give them hell tomorrow. Also what kind of shit is it that you have to use chrome? I have never heard of having to use a specific browser for anything. I did and it still didn't work but you should be able to use any browser to connect this. It a a freaking tuner for God's sake. It's not that complicated. I use a lot of devices with this computer and they all work fine. Remove able hard drives, dslrs, mp3 players, smartphones ect. I program rc helicopter flybarless units and rc airplane gyros no problem. It is a good computer in good working order. I really hope I can get it to work. End of rant. Thanks for your help guys. I'll keep you posted what happens.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

First I've heard of any problems. I'm certain that Peterson will be able to work it out. Let us know when they get it fixed.

The tuner is certainly not useless out of the box...you have a million Sweetened Presets built in. When I'm tuning normally-as in just to play and not to tune to a specific preset that I've already created-I just use the "Sweetened GTR" preset and tune a half-step down or to standard pitch depending on what guitar I'm using. I also use the tuner unconnected to find and notate the tunings and I only connect to the website when I want to share a tuning with others.

Even if you never use the website, it will be the best tuner you've ever owned! Connecting it to the website makes it easier to share and create tunings, but even just out of the box it is still amazing.

Hang in there! I know a lot of people that have bought this tuner and believe me when I tell you that this is the first I've ever heard of a single issue.
    Last edited by garbeaj; 02.07.17 at 04:53 PM.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Thanks for your help. With regards to your printer call Microsoft tech support I'm sure they can sort it out. Let me know if you need the number. Hopefully tomorrow will be better. I'm definitely keeping the tuner anyway but I hope I can fully use it. I'm going to give it another shot tomorrow. Hopefully when petersons tech guy is in he can sort it out. It is just my luck that I'm the only one with this problem. There has to be a solution.

14. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Update. Problem solved. Peterson had me try one more thing today. Hold down the mode and preset buttons while plugging the USB into the computer puts the tuner into usb mode and it worked perfectly. I only had to do it that one time and now it works every time. It gets even better. There sending me a new tuner with the metronome installed for free and a t shirt! That's pretty awsome. Some companies still have great service. This is one of them. All I have to do is put my tuner in the pre paid box they are sending me with the new one and send it back to them. Garbeaj I downloaded a few of your presets and it worked fine. I'm going to play around with it tomorrow as we are expecting a foot of snow tomorrow. It was actually 65 degrees today and tomorrow a foot of snow. Nuts.

16. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Excellent news! I'm super glad to hear about this...they sent me a couple of t-shirts and a hat on general principle that I wear happily. Great company and great products.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

08.15.17 @ 11:58 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by garbeaj View Post
    Also, I'll repost the tuning offsets that Eddie gave Guitar World in the March 2016 issue again. This is proof that Eddie actually does use alternate tuning offsets. This is the first time that Eddie has ever mentioned what specific tuning he used and it is the first time he has admitted to using offset tunings where individual strings are deliberately tuned to be out of tune with each other to varying degrees:

In the March 17, 2016 issue of Guitar World:

LIVE 2015 TUNING:

Eb -9 cents
    Bb -9 cents
    Gb -3 cents
    Db -1 cent
    Ab +/-0 cents
    Eb +/-0 cents
    D-Tuna Db -4 cents

http://www.guitarworld.com/eddie-van...r/26073?page=4
    Is that tuning in minus ? like 6th string minus 0 cents or just zero cents? I have a strobe stomp 2 i dont see a minus also EB tuning with the cents. Trying to understand this tunings stuff, my guitar is in Eb tuning.
    2013 EVH Striped Series
    Epiphone Les Paul Special II LTD
    Marshall DSL40c

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Zero thru FW
    Favorite VH Song

One Sky Control Movies
    Last Online

02.18.19 @ 07:21 PM
    Liked 648 Times in 414 Posts

Tuning, is in the ear of the beholder, grasshopper

This particular set of tunings offsets (or any other set of tuning offsets, for that matter), is how Edward hears his particular guitar, with his particular set up (strings, action,etc.), using his hands, and his ears.
    See where I'm going with this...

Each half step, F# to G, for example, is divided into 100 cents.
    G -50 cents, would be a semitone, exactly between G and F#.
    So Eb -9 cents, would be just a little flat of Eb zero, about a tenth of a half step.

+/- 0 cents means, right at zero.

If you wanna get all Dewey Decimal, go right ahead.
    And if it works in your situation, by all means, do it.

The main concern is, does your guitar sound in tune

20. The Following Member Likes This Post: