Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Save
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 84
  1. #16
    Good Enough garbeaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.02.11
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,510
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen
    Last Online

    02.22.19 @ 03:31 PM
    Likes
    348
    Liked 633 Times in 396 Posts

    Default

    Interestingly, the offset tuning for the electric guitar on "Ice Cream Man" (presumably the Frankenstein) and the offset tuning used on the humbucker equipped distorted guitar for the main part of "Women In Love" are one and the same!

  2. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  3. #17
    Sinner's Swing!
    Join Date
    06.28.02
    Age
    44
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,951
    Last Online

    03.25.18 @ 04:26 PM
    Likes
    325
    Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts

    Default

    WIL is one of my favorite tones, too. Very sympathetic ringing between the strings.

    VH II is actually my favorite overall tone of all time. Almost like, "Van Halen I, minus the wretched extra treble and boost".

  4. #18
    Good Enough garbeaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.02.11
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,510
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen
    Last Online

    02.22.19 @ 03:31 PM
    Likes
    348
    Liked 633 Times in 396 Posts

    Default

    Here are the offsets for the nylon string classical guitar used on the "Little Guitars (intro)" from the Diver Down LP:

    1st string: F# -26.7 cents
    2nd string: C# -26.9 cents
    3rd string: A -28.6 cents
    4th string: E -29.0 cents
    5th string: B -29.0 cents
    6th string: F# -38.7 cents

    I checked the tuning for this intro against the HDCD remastered Diver Down CD using a 1988 Gibson Chet Atkins CEC nylon string classical guitar and my 1986 Ovation Ultra steel-string acoustic. The tuning worked on both guitars. This was the closest I could come to Eddie's late 70s Ovation nylon string classical guitar that he used to record this intro.
    Last edited by garbeaj; 07.09.16 at 04:12 PM.

  5. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  6. #19
    Good Enough garbeaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.02.11
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,510
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen
    Last Online

    02.22.19 @ 03:31 PM
    Likes
    348
    Liked 633 Times in 396 Posts

    Default

    The tuning offsets that I have found for "Eruption" from the Van Halen album are as follows:

    1st string: Eb +12.7 cents
    2nd string: Bb +12.9 cents
    3rd string: F# +14.6 cents
    4th string: C# +15.0 cents
    5th string: Ab +15.0 cents
    6th string: Eb +12.7 cents

    I used my Musikraft/Locke '78 Frankenstein replica to find the tuning and I used the DCC Compact Classics 24kt Gold Master CD and the isolated guitar track for reference.

    Note that this is the same tuning as the "Women In Love" main distorted guitar part and the electric guitars on "Ice Cream Man".
    Last edited by garbeaj; 03.21.17 at 05:24 PM.

  7. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  8. #20
    Atomic Punk RRvh1's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.13.11
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ari-o!
    Posts
    20,381
    Favorite VH Album

    1984
    Favorite VH Song

    Panama
    Last Online

    08.20.19 @ 04:39 PM
    Likes
    7,889
    Liked 8,974 Times in 6,445 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Garbeaj, once again giving us the science behind the magic. Awesome!
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

  9. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  10. #21
    Good Enough garbeaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.02.11
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,510
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen
    Last Online

    02.22.19 @ 03:31 PM
    Likes
    348
    Liked 633 Times in 396 Posts

    Default

    It is hard to keep track when the intro guitar is a completely different guitar with a different tuning than the rest of the track as is the case with "Women In Love"!

    It is interesting to note that the tuning on "Eruption", "Ice Cream Man" and the main distorted guitar track on "Women In Love" is the same...this seems to be a tuning that Eddie used a little more consistently in the old days. Also, interesting that the tuning on the "Women In Love" intro is the same as the tuning for "Outta Love Again"...I don't ask why he did this, but I'm just notating what the tunings are as I have found them.
    Last edited by garbeaj; 03.21.17 at 05:26 PM.

  11. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:


  12. #22
    Good Enough garbeaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.02.11
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,510
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen
    Last Online

    02.22.19 @ 03:31 PM
    Likes
    348
    Liked 633 Times in 396 Posts

    Default

    "So This Is Love?" from the Fair Warning LP is the first song that I've found so far that is tuned almost exactly a complete one half-step down:

    Eb: -2.3 cents
    Bb: -2.1 cents
    F#: -0.4 cents
    Db: (No change from standard equal temperament)
    Ab: (No change from standard equal temperament)
    Eb: -2.3 cents


    I used the HDCD Remastered CD of Fair Warning along with the isolated guitar track for reference and I used my black Musikraft "5150" styled guitar which is equipped with a circa 1984-1985 era German Floyd Rose. This is the closest guitar I have to what Eddie may have used for this recording...which in my opinion was most likely the Frankenstein with the Boogie Bodies "10th fret bloodstain" neck and the non-fine tuner Floyd Rose.
    Last edited by garbeaj; 08.10.16 at 09:33 AM.

  13. #23
    Eruption LeftyVanHalen's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.24.07
    Posts
    1,167
    Last Online

    01.14.19 @ 10:06 AM
    Likes
    23
    Liked 51 Times in 23 Posts

    Default

    Awesome post and this is something I have thought about over the years playing. I would sometimes keep my E string flat to compensate for pressing or hitting hard. Really cool

  14. #24
    Sinner's Swing!
    Join Date
    11.26.10
    Age
    48
    Posts
    3,374
    Last Online

    01.08.19 @ 08:26 PM
    Likes
    1,707
    Liked 1,391 Times in 814 Posts

    Default

    I just picked up the StroboPlus HD on the weekend!
    I have not spent any money on gear for a good long time, because my old Conn is in desperate need of repair to the motor, and or control, so I've been having to rely on an old cheapo Korg LED tuner for a while, which is a pain because when intonating, there's too much lag, and the display will fall back to zero on occasion mid tuning. to repair my old Conn, it would cost way more than this unit from shipping from Canada to Peterson, and paying for parts, and labor.....at least with the exchange rate being what it is right now.

    I'm pretty impressed by it. I used to hate the early "virtual Strobe" LCD displays, but this sucker is very fast, and has a much more realistic refresh rate, virtual movement. I was a little put off by the amber backlight at first...I thought it could be a little better with a more bold contrasting color, but it actually is very easy to read, even with my terrible vision now.
    I pretty much chilled at home this weekend with it, restringing and intonating seven of my guitars, including my Dobro Resonator, and Gretsch Lapsteel. I used some of the "sweetened Tunings" on the Dobro, Lapsteel, and my main acoustic...
    Did a bang up job.
    Last edited by we die young; 08.15.16 at 09:43 AM.

  15. #25
    Good Enough garbeaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.02.11
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,510
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen
    Last Online

    02.22.19 @ 03:31 PM
    Likes
    348
    Liked 633 Times in 396 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post
    I just picked up the StroboPlus HD on the weekend!
    I have not spent any money on gear for a good long time, because my old Conn is in desperate need of repair to the motor, and or control, so I've been having to rely on an old cheapo Korg LED tuner for a while, which is a pain because when intonating, there's too much lag, and the display will fall back to zero on occasion mid tuning. to repair my old Conn, it would cost way more than this unit from shipping from Canada to Peterson, and paying for parts, and labor.....at least with the exchange rate being what it is right now.

    I'm pretty impressed by it. I used to hate the early "virtual Strobe" LCD displays, but this sucker is very fast, and has a much more realistic refresh rate, virtual movement. I was a little put off by the amber backlight at first...I thought it could be a little better with a more bold contrasting color, but it actually is very easy to read, even with my terrible vision now.
    I pretty much chilled at home this weekend with it, restringing and intonating seven of my guitars, including my Dobro Resonator, and Gretsch Lapsteel. I used some of the "sweetened Tunings" on the Dobro, Lapsteel, and my main acoustic...
    Did a bang up job.
    Fantastic! The Peterson StroboPlus HD is just the best tuner ever, bar none, in my opinion. If you've read any of this thread, you already know this!

    If you get your account set up on Peterson's website you can go to the 'Trading Post' section and you can try out any of the Van Halen tunings for individual songs that I have posted here by downloading them straight to your StroboPlus HD from the 'Trading Post' page. They are very easy to find and download. Once you get one (or more) on your tuner and you have tuned your guitar accordingly, try to play along with the recording...If you have tuned up properly, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!

    Be sure to post your experience here!

  16. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:


  17. #26
    Sinner's Swing!
    Join Date
    11.26.10
    Age
    48
    Posts
    3,374
    Last Online

    01.08.19 @ 08:26 PM
    Likes
    1,707
    Liked 1,391 Times in 814 Posts

    Default

    Yeah man!
    I really like it a lot, especially when it comes to my guitars like the lap steel, and Dobro where I tend to switch up tunings a lot. The Sweetener is great because in the case of the lap steel, it makes it so much easier to dial in a perfect tuning with some of the intervals present in some of those tunings. It can be hard to eliminate beating with a conventional chromatic tuner, and tuning by ear......It can be a bit of a nightmare to dial in perfectly, because you need to gamble a bit choosing which string/note to base the rest of the adjustments on simply because with the lack of available intonation adjustment, what sounds perfect open, with the slide applied, you can hear a general out of tune-ness. You can try to tune to the 6th. string alone, but depending on gauge, it doesn't always sound perfect to me, so I have to tweak here or there, and often I find myself going too far.
    With the Sweetener, that all goes away. I like that I can create my own presets and save them too.
    I'll check out the Trading Post a bit more...I just registered it last night on line, and updated the firmware, but it was a bit late, and I was pretty tired after a long day, but I'm really jacked about it.
    Thanks for all your posts about the unit.
    Was a big part of why I chose to go for it.

  18. #27
    Good Enough garbeaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.02.11
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,510
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen
    Last Online

    02.22.19 @ 03:31 PM
    Likes
    348
    Liked 633 Times in 396 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post
    Yeah man!
    I really like it a lot, especially when it comes to my guitars like the lap steel, and Dobro where I tend to switch up tunings a lot. The Sweetener is great because in the case of the lap steel, it makes it so much easier to dial in a perfect tuning with some of the intervals present in some of those tunings. It can be hard to eliminate beating with a conventional chromatic tuner, and tuning by ear......It can be a bit of a nightmare to dial in perfectly, because you need to gamble a bit choosing which string/note to base the rest of the adjustments on simply because with the lack of available intonation adjustment, what sounds perfect open, with the slide applied, you can hear a general out of tune-ness. You can try to tune to the 6th. string alone, but depending on gauge, it doesn't always sound perfect to me, so I have to tweak here or there, and often I find myself going too far.
    With the Sweetener, that all goes away. I like that I can create my own presets and save them too.
    I'll check out the Trading Phjost a bit more...I just registered it last night on line, and updated the firmware, but it was a bit late, and I was pretty tired after a long day, but I'm really jacked about it.
    Thanks for all your posts about the unit.
    Was a big part of why I chose to go for it.
    Wow, that's great to hear man! I play six string lap steel and I used to have a double 8-string Fender Stringmaster. I used to tune that by ear and it was hell!

    The real big dog steel players in Nashville use the Peterson StroboPlus HD and some of them post steel offsets in the 'Trading Post'...you'll see that it is basically me posting my Van Halen tunings and then a few steel players and some other guys posting exotic instrument tunings...really cool and couldn't be easier! It really is a must have for steel players...an absolute must have.

    So excited that you got the StroboPlus...you can't go wrong with it. It really is one of the only guitar accessories that you can buy that will instantly make you sound better!

  19. #28
    Sinner's Swing!
    Join Date
    11.26.10
    Age
    48
    Posts
    3,374
    Last Online

    01.08.19 @ 08:26 PM
    Likes
    1,707
    Liked 1,391 Times in 814 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by garbeaj View Post
    Wow, that's great to hear man! I play six string lap steel and I used to have a double 8-string Fender Stringmaster. I used to tune that by ear and it was hell!

    The real big dog steel players in Nashville use the Peterson StroboPlus HD and some of them post steel offsets in the 'Trading Post'...you'll see that it is basically me posting my Van Halen tunings and then a few steel players and some other guys posting exotic instrument tunings...really cool and couldn't be easier! It really is a must have for steel players...an absolute must have.

    So excited that you got the StroboPlus...you can't go wrong with it. It really is one of the only guitar accessories that you can buy that will instantly make you sound better!
    Oh yeah...for sure. Like with my old one strobe...it was great to have. I brought it with me everywhere for a long time. Super accurate. When I put music down for a while I had it in storage, and I think the dampness buggered it up. I didn't know who fixed them, but then found out Peterson do now. I'll get it done some day, but this unit is so good...again, I really think it's one of the best tuners bar none without spending an arm or a leg.

  20. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  21. #29
    Good Enough garbeaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.02.11
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,510
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen
    Last Online

    02.22.19 @ 03:31 PM
    Likes
    348
    Liked 633 Times in 396 Posts

    Default

    Killer! As you get into saving and creating tunings you'll be amazed at how easy the whole process is and how you can call up a tuning and tune to it quickly and easily. The whole preset capabilities, the Sweetened tuning presets for the various instruments, the lack of any real moving parts, the ruggedness...it is just so much better than the old analog strobes. You can also get their great metronome as an added feature. I bought it and installed it on the StroboPlus, but I haven't really used the BodyBeat vibrating metronome functions yet, but I may try it out soon.

    I just love it...someday when I build my dream pedalboard I'll have a special spot just for it!

  22. #30
    Eruption
    Join Date
    07.13.16
    Age
    55
    Location
    northern Illinois
    Posts
    1,019
    Favorite VH Album

    Zero thru FW
    Favorite VH Song

    One Sky Control Movies
    Last Online

    08.18.19 @ 07:30 PM
    Likes
    853
    Liked 715 Times in 459 Posts

    Default

    Nowadays, when I hear Women In Love, that chorusy sound of Ed's guitar, reminds me of his post Diver Down era sound, almost exactly like the 5150 album. From what I understand, it's some type of Eventide rack device. Back in the '80s, I used to replicate that sound with my Dean Markley half stacks and a Boss Dimension C, and DD-3. It was fairly close.
    Anyway, wouldn't that make finding the exact pitch difficult? I know I can never tune with a chorus on.

    BTW, I have a 8 string lap steel, too, but haven't played it for a long time. You know, too many irons in the fire. I had a Fender 800 S10 pedal for a while, but I sold it. When I had it, I was really jonesin' for the Peterson Strobo Stomp.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Dale Peterson for President!
    By voivod in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07.22.10, 06:07 PM
  2. VH Halen Reference
    By Hagar4ever in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01.01.06, 11:15 PM
  3. What tunings do you guys piddle with???
    By diggyd in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09.10.05, 10:10 AM
  4. Laci Peterson
    By Fabulous Shadow aka VHL in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 03.18.05, 07:05 AM
  5. alternate tunings on Fair Warning
    By tap1966 in forum Van Halen 101
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07.08.00, 02:24 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •