Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35
  1. #1
    ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.08.06
    Posts
    29,839
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Likes
    1,881
    Liked 6,842 Times in 3,581 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default Apple want to stop you filming gigs

    The patent paperwork reads: "An infrared emitter can be located in areas where picture or video capture is prohibited, and the emitter can generate infrared signals with encoded data that includes commands to disable the recording functions of devices.

    http://teamrock.com/news/2016-06-30/...ameras-at-gigs

  2. #2
    Atomic Punk japeape's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.05.15
    Posts
    7,890
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 09:38 AM
    Likes
    5,600
    Liked 7,624 Times in 4,000 Posts

    Default

    Apple fucking rules.

    Anyone who uses windows or android is fucking old!

  3. #3
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    11.12.03
    Posts
    17,322
    Favorite VH Album

    1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

    1978-1996
    Last Online

    12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Likes
    4,364
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    LOL, and they're also fucking over their sheep by eliminating the headphone jack. For what? "to make it slimmer" yeah , that, and to create new ways to sell their customers more of what they already have. It's an odd cult they have over at Apple. It's like they create new ways to see how loyal the herd is.



    http://www.fastcompany.com/3055208/i...er-and-simpler

    It's True: Apple Will Drop Headphone Jack To Make The iPhone 7 Slimmer

  4. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:


  5. #4
    Eruption Brody VH's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.05.15
    Age
    19
    Location
    Kerbin
    Posts
    864
    Favorite VH Album

    ADKOT/Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 09:38 AM
    Likes
    863
    Liked 628 Times in 311 Posts

    Default

    I like apple, but man, their products are becoming less and less user friendly, and the above article is proof of that, if they go that route.
    I'm just here.

    Hotty Toddy, gosh almighty,
    Who the hell are we? Hey!

    Flim flam, bim bam,
    Ole Miss, by damn!


    "I can't complain but sometimes I still do" - Joe Walsh

  6. #5
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    11.05.06
    Location
    there's a sleepy town
    Posts
    8,193
    Favorite VH Album

    fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

    07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    I'd be curious to hear/read what a lot of musicians feel about this phenomenon. In the past, I know Sam has said he doesn't care, as long as it's not a professional camera. Dave Grohl, I think feels the same way. How strange must it be for a musician to look out and see all these phones staring back at them.
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

    I love coffee and sarcasm.

    RJD \m/


    Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

  7. #6
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    11.12.03
    Posts
    17,322
    Favorite VH Album

    1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

    1978-1996
    Last Online

    12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Likes
    4,364
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    You can livestream a whole concert (if your battery can last) via periscope. I was watching GnR live from Kansas City last night and the picture was pretty damn clear and the sound was pretty good. For someone on the fence buying a ticket, that could hurt or help sales I suppose it's a wash.

  8. #7
    Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.03
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    13,990
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 11:31 AM
    Likes
    816
    Liked 3,116 Times in 1,827 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default Apple want to stop you filming gigs

    The original article at 9to5 Mac also talks about other uses for this tech. One could be at a museum where each display can send info to your device.

    I would have to think that Apple would not encourage the other use. I know some musicians and a lot of fans hate seeing a sea of phones and having their view blocked by a phone, respectively. But allowing someone to block your phone? What if you catch footage of, God forbid, a terrorist?

    Back to other uses, I'd love an app that has archived old pictures of cities and when I point my phone at a street corner in, say, San Francisco, it could show me what it looked like in different eras.

    As far as the headphone jack, they're going to push Beats headphones with a lightning connector. Eventually Apple is looking at an all glass phone. Betting this move is one in a series towards that.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #8
    Atomic Punk CaboChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.23.11
    Age
    45
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    15,710
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 11:33 AM
    Likes
    4,330
    Liked 7,873 Times in 4,600 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Wait...I'm not understanding.

    No headphone jack? They don't want you to listen to your music? Whaaa?

  10. #9
    Atomic Punk japeape's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.05.15
    Posts
    7,890
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 09:38 AM
    Likes
    5,600
    Liked 7,624 Times in 4,000 Posts

    Default

    If they lose the headphone jack, i'm buying a Samsung.

    I love the iPhone, and i can milk the 6s for many years to come.
    WTF else do i need it to do, that it can't already?
    I was taking pictures & transferring a few to my mac, and my God, those pictures
    are about as perfect as a damn photo can be.
    All i did was point & click the phone, i have no idea what settings to use.
    It does it automatically, i guess.

    But i do not want to be forced to bluetooth/stream my damn music.
    My battery life is stellar, because i have all my content loaded & ready.
    I may watch the occasional youtube clip on my phone, but that's about as far as
    it goes.

    The constant new versions of iOS annoy me, though.

    The last one keeps prompting me to go to Apple Music, then sometimes
    freezes on that stupid screen.
    They are deceptive in regards to how to get rid of it.
    It's not in settings, or it wasn't then.

    But, overall, i like the way apple products look & their usability.

  11. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  12. #10
    Good Enough cabomiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.11.08
    Location
    Calgary AB
    Posts
    2,613
    Favorite VH Album

    OU812
    Favorite VH Song

    Dreams
    Last Online

    12.14.17 @ 01:13 PM
    Likes
    2,950
    Liked 650 Times in 369 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    If they lose the headphone jack, i'm buying a Samsung.

    I love the iPhone, and i can milk the 6s for many years to come.
    WTF else do i need it to do, that it can't already?
    I was taking pictures & transferring a few to my mac, and my God, those pictures
    are about as perfect as a damn photo can be.
    All i did was point & click the phone, i have no idea what settings to use.
    It does it automatically, i guess.

    But i do not want to be forced to bluetooth/stream my damn music.
    My battery life is stellar, because i have all my content loaded & ready.
    I may watch the occasional youtube clip on my phone, but that's about as far as
    it goes.

    The constant new versions of iOS annoy me, though.

    The last one keeps prompting me to go to Apple Music, then sometimes
    freezes on that stupid screen.
    They are deceptive in regards to how to get rid of it.
    It's not in settings, or it wasn't then.

    But, overall, i like the way apple products look & their usability.
    Pretty much applies to me as far as what I use my phone for. And yeah the pics are better quality that the $400.00 Cannon I bought 3 years ago.
    Cabo x 20
    Van Halen x 11
    Sammy x 20+
    DLR x 2

  13. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  14. #11
    Atomic Punk japeape's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.05.15
    Posts
    7,890
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 09:38 AM
    Likes
    5,600
    Liked 7,624 Times in 4,000 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cabomiro View Post
    Pretty much applies to me as far as what I use my phone for. And yeah the pics are better quality that the $400.00 Cannon I bought 3 years ago.
    I use my phone for MUSIC (it's my iPod) first.
    Texting second.
    Pictures third.
    Web browsing, here & there.
    A little gaming now & again.
    Phone calls (i prefer text).

  15. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:


  16. #12
    Eruption
    Join Date
    12.26.13
    Age
    21
    Location
    East Virginia
    Posts
    1,287
    Favorite VH Album

    For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

    Mine All Mine
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 09:17 AM
    Likes
    3,254
    Liked 915 Times in 468 Posts

    Default

    iPhone 6 here...definitely switching to the S7 in the fall when my contract renews. I've always jail broken my apple devices and had fun customizing them with that, so I'll probably keep this around as a second audio player/media device.

  17. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  18. #13
    Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.03
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    13,990
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 11:31 AM
    Likes
    816
    Liked 3,116 Times in 1,827 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Everything will be done through the lightning connector, which will mean adapters will come out that will go from lightning to 1/8".

    I find the dichotomy between television and music to be fascinating. With TV, quality keeps increasing faster than content providers can keep up. I mean, everyone has a 1080P television, but we're already at 4K (which is really 2160P) and now some Amazon Prime and Netflix shows are broadcasting in 4K HDR. Meanwhile, 4K Blu Ray is trickling out as 8K (4320P).

    In music, quality keeps getting reduced. We went from CDs to mp3 and other similar files. And while those have gotten better, people are moving to streaming music instead of owning it, which is yet another decrease in quality. If you aren't streaming, you're often using Bluetooth to wirelessly transmit the music, which is a reduction in quality. Also a reduction in quality? Using the headphone jack. Plugging in direct via the lightning connector gives you a better quality signal.

    It's strange how quality is so important today in TV, but not in music.

  19. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:


  20. #14
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    11.12.03
    Posts
    17,322
    Favorite VH Album

    1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

    1978-1996
    Last Online

    12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Likes
    4,364
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    Everything will be done through the lightning connector, which will mean adapters will come out that will go from lightning to 1/8".

    I find the dichotomy between television and music to be fascinating. With TV, quality keeps increasing faster than content providers can keep up. I mean, everyone has a 1080P television, but we're already at 4K (which is really 2160P) and now some Amazon Prime and Netflix shows are broadcasting in 4K HDR. Meanwhile, 4K Blu Ray is trickling out as 8K (4320P).

    In music, quality keeps getting reduced. We went from CDs to mp3 and other similar files. And while those have gotten better, people are moving to streaming music instead of owning it, which is yet another decrease in quality. If you aren't streaming, you're often using Bluetooth to wirelessly transmit the music, which is a reduction in quality. Also a reduction in quality? Using the headphone jack. Plugging in direct via the lightning connector gives you a better quality signal.

    It's strange how quality is so important today in TV, but not in music.
    Yeah I don't use my phone for music at all. Not one song is on my phone. I don't stream. I have XM in the car and that sound quality is shit.

    FOr real listening, I still play cd's in the car. As ancient as that is, it still sounds best out of the choices

  21. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:


  22. #15
    carpe damn diem billy007's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.19.00
    Age
    54
    Location
    On the wild card line...
    Posts
    28,679
    Favorite VH Song

    "Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

    12.14.17 @ 06:29 PM
    Likes
    1,046
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

    Default

    It would be nice to be able to use usb for my iPod in the car, but a: my car doesn't have a usb and b: any time I've plugged my iPod/iPhone into a usb in a car, it starts playing, whether I'm ready for it to or not, and from the first song (typically "Abacab"). I don't think I notice any difference from my aux cable (just have to remember to turn the volume all the way up) and I maintain control!
    Last edited by billy007; 06.30.16 at 04:27 PM.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Filming police brutality? Of course there's an app for that
    By voivod in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07.28.15, 08:28 AM
  2. Filming at 2015 shows.
    By PT 5150 in forum 2015 Van Halen Tour
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07.08.15, 11:04 PM
  3. Apple introduces the Apple Watch
    By lovemachine97(Version 2) in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09.10.14, 10:29 AM
  4. Filming at Shows
    By Brett in forum 2012-2013 Van Halen Tour
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 03.29.12, 03:21 PM
  5. new law would ban the filming of police brutality
    By voivod in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03.08.07, 01:10 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •