Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 49
  1. #1
    Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.03
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    13,994
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 08:12 AM
    Likes
    817
    Liked 3,117 Times in 1,828 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default Brock Turner, caught raping woman, sentenced to 6 months

    Lots and lots to get into here.

    Outrage over 6-month sentence for Brock Turner in Stanford rape case

    (CNN)Widespread outrage has erupted over a California judge's decision to give a former Stanford University swimmer a six-month jail sentence for sexually assaulting an unconscious woman. Critics are blasting the decision as far too lenient.

    Prosecutors had asked that Brock Turner be sentenced to six years in prison for the January 2015 assault . . .

    So basically Brock Turner, a promising, 20-yr old Stanford swimmer, was caught by two Swedes raping an unconscious woman behind a dumpster. When caught, Turner ran, but the two men chased him and detained him. This month, Turner was found guilty of three counts: sexually penetrating an intoxicated and unconscious person with a foreign object, digital rape, and assault with intent to rape. However, he only received 6 months in jail, sparking accusations of privilege.

    Surrounding this case are two letters, a powerful one from the victim, as well as a much derided, poorly written letter from Turner's father. The father's letter has been the subject of much ridicule, particularly for calling the incident '20 minutes of action,' and for asking for leniency because his son was never a criminal before. (As an aside, reading the dad's entire letter, I don't think he was using 'action' as an offensive euphemism for getting laid, as most think, it was just an unfortunate term in a badly written letter.)

    To get slightly political, one issue in our criminal justice system is the discrepancy in how minorities are treated versus Blacks. So this case has been compared to that of Brian Banks, a Black, high school football standout at Long Beach Poly who had verbally committed to USC. In 2002, he was accused of having pulled a girl into a bathroom at Poly and raping her. As is much more likely in cases involving minorities, Banks was tried as an adult and sentenced to 6 years in prison. In 2012, after 5 years in prison, the victim had reached out to Banks and recanted her story. The Innocence Project was contacted, she was taped admitting it didn't happen, and he was released from prison.

    So much more than just a miscarriage of justice, this case highlights how a wealthy, White athlete, witnessed raping a woman gets 6 months in prison, while a poor, Black athlete gets 6 years in prison in a he said-she said case. But I would be remiss if I didn't also mention one more issue--college campus rape. Often times, college campuses prefer to take care of these assaults "in house," except that the worst that can happen is expulsion. Worse, it has led to some men being expelled for actions that are clearly not assault, as Reason's Robby Soave has extensively covered. While Turner's punishment is a miscarriage of justice, rape is a criminal issue, not a campus issue.

  2. #2
    Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.05.12
    Age
    42
    Location
    6300 feet above sea level
    Posts
    11,112
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm The One
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 10:42 AM
    Likes
    16,792
    Liked 10,898 Times in 5,738 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    Lots and lots to get into here.

    Outrage over 6-month sentence for Brock Turner in Stanford rape case

    (CNN)Widespread outrage has erupted over a California judge's decision to give a former Stanford University swimmer a six-month jail sentence for sexually assaulting an unconscious woman. Critics are blasting the decision as far too lenient.

    Prosecutors had asked that Brock Turner be sentenced to six years in prison for the January 2015 assault . . .

    So basically Brock Turner, a promising, 20-yr old Stanford swimmer, was caught by two Swedes raping an unconscious woman behind a dumpster. When caught, Turner ran, but the two men chased him and detained him. This month, Turner was found guilty of three counts: sexually penetrating an intoxicated and unconscious person with a foreign object, digital rape, and assault with intent to rape. However, he only received 6 months in jail, sparking accusations of privilege.

    Surrounding this case are two letters, a powerful one from the victim, as well as a much derided, poorly written letter from Turner's father. The father's letter has been the subject of much ridicule, particularly for calling the incident '20 minutes of action,' and for asking for leniency because his son was never a criminal before. (As an aside, reading the dad's entire letter, I don't think he was using 'action' as an offensive euphemism for getting laid, as most think, it was just an unfortunate term in a badly written letter.)

    To get slightly political, one issue in our criminal justice system is the discrepancy in how minorities are treated versus Blacks. So this case has been compared to that of Brian Banks, a Black, high school football standout at Long Beach Poly who had verbally committed to USC. In 2002, he was accused of having pulled a girl into a bathroom at Poly and raping her. As is much more likely in cases involving minorities, Banks was tried as an adult and sentenced to 6 years in prison. In 2012, after 5 years in prison, the victim had reached out to Banks and recanted her story. The Innocence Project was contacted, she was taped admitting it didn't happen, and he was released from prison.

    So much more than just a miscarriage of justice, this case highlights how a wealthy, White athlete, witnessed raping a woman gets 6 months in prison, while a poor, Black athlete gets 6 years in prison in a he said-she said case. But I would be remiss if I didn't also mention one more issue--college campus rape. Often times, college campuses prefer to take care of these assaults "in house," except that the worst that can happen is expulsion. Worse, it has led to some men being expelled for actions that are clearly not assault, as Reason's Robby Soave has extensively covered. While Turner's punishment is a miscarriage of justice, rape is a criminal issue, not a campus issue.
    I've got a question for you.

    Is it because minorities are minorities that they get stiffer sentences, or is it because they tend to be poor and don't have access to quality representation?

    OJ, Kobe, and Ray Lewis immediately come to mind. OJ is guilty as sin, and he's black, but he got off because he had the best legal team money could buy.

    Kobe and Lewis are more in doubt, but I'm guessing had they been poor "nobody's" the outcomes of their cases may have been different, even if they were white.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

  3. #3
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    11.12.03
    Posts
    17,322
    Favorite VH Album

    1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

    1978-1996
    Last Online

    12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Likes
    4,364
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post
    OJ is guilty as sin, and he's black, but he got off because he had the best legal team money could buy.

    .
    OJ's life will never be the one that he dreamed about and worked so hard to achieve. That is a steep price to pay for 20 minutes of action out of his 68 plus years of life. He will never be his happy go lucky self with that easy going personality and welcoming smile.


    /extreme sarcasm




    That rapist's dad is a grade a piece of shit. Clear as day where the kid learned it was ok to do what he did. Dad of the year over there.

    They can both burn in hell

  4. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:


  5. #4
    Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.03
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    13,994
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 08:12 AM
    Likes
    817
    Liked 3,117 Times in 1,828 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default Brock Turner, caught raping woman, sentenced to 6 months

    Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post
    I've got a question for you.

    Is it because minorities are minorities that they get stiffer sentences, or is it because they tend to be poor and don't have access to quality representation?

    OJ, Kobe, and Ray Lewis immediately come to mind. OJ is guilty as sin, and he's black, but he got off because he had the best legal team money could buy.

    Kobe and Lewis are more in doubt, but I'm guessing had they been poor "nobody's" the outcomes of their cases may have been different, even if they were white.
    OJ's jury was mostly Black and had been through decades of terrible, racist practices by the LAPD. Chris Darden tried to tell Garcetti and Clark about the issues, but they didn't understand it. Mark Fuhrman was not an outlier.

    That said, even with a Whiter jury, the prosecution had OJ try on the gloves and they put Fuhrman on the stand, who ended up having to plead the 5th on planting evidence to frame OJ. The state flubbed it pretty badly. Even as a White guy, in a beyond a reasonable doubt case, the lead officer pleading the 5th on framing the defendant would push me close to reasonable doubt.

    I have a friend who passed away from cancer. Teacher. Great guy. But he was Latino and had a pony tail. I get pulled over maybe once a year. He got pulled over weekly.

    Honestly this is a much bigger issue that I find to be mostly structural. I'm on my phone right now. I can explain it better later in front of a keyboard when I can type. I would agree, though, that part of it is poor representation. I believe I read somewhere everyone on death row had a public defender.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #5
    Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.05.12
    Age
    42
    Location
    6300 feet above sea level
    Posts
    11,112
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm The One
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 10:42 AM
    Likes
    16,792
    Liked 10,898 Times in 5,738 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Greenpaw View Post
    OJ's life will never be the one that he dreamed about and worked so hard to achieve. That is a steep price to pay for 20 minutes of action out of his 68 plus years of life. He will never be his happy go lucky self with that easy going personality and welcoming smile.


    /extreme sarcasm




    That rapist's dad is a grade a piece of shit. Clear as day where the kid learned it was ok to do what he did. Dad of the year over there.

    They can both burn in hell
    I was wondering what the fuck you were talking about and then I read part of that guy's letter.

    Yeah, let's not be holding that guy up as an example for other dad's to emulate.

    I'm guessing he privately knows that his raising of his son is partially to blame and that guilt is what prompted that letter. He would of been better off saying "I suck as a dad and it's my fault my son did this."
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

  7. #6
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    10.11.09
    Posts
    10,564
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 10:04 AM
    Likes
    575
    Liked 1,487 Times in 1,016 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    This father and son duo are sickening. Total pieces of shit.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

    "I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

    Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

    "McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

  8. #7
    Forum Frontman It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    43
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,158
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 09:55 AM
    Likes
    1,321
    Liked 6,711 Times in 3,729 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post
    I've got a question for you.

    Is it because minorities are minorities that they get stiffer sentences, or is it because they tend to be poor and don't have access to quality representation?

    OJ, Kobe, and Ray Lewis immediately come to mind. OJ is guilty as sin, and he's black, but he got off because he had the best legal team money could buy.

    Kobe and Lewis are more in doubt, but I'm guessing had they been poor "nobody's" the outcomes of their cases may have been different, even if they were white.
    It's mainly money I would bet.

    This case is ridiculous. The penalty for rape should be the equivalent to murder in my opinion. No interested in a convicted rapists seeing the outside world again.

    Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

  9. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:


  10. #8
    Atomic Punk I Coulda Hada VH's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.29.00
    Location
    Land O' Lakers
    Posts
    30,511
    Favorite VH Album

    The First One
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm The One
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 11:52 AM
    Likes
    10,351
    Liked 16,572 Times in 9,399 Posts

    Default

    That judge seems more worried about the effect of the rape on the criminal than the victim. Liberalism at its absolute worst.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

    "If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

    "Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

    "Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

  11. #9
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    10.11.09
    Posts
    10,564
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 10:04 AM
    Likes
    575
    Liked 1,487 Times in 1,016 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Libs seem to have a lot of sympathy for criminals.

  12. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  13. #10
    Emperor of VHLinks.com Brett's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.02.99
    Age
    46
    Location
    Somewhere Near LA
    Posts
    68,730
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 11:22 AM
    Likes
    1,265
    Liked 11,598 Times in 4,945 Posts

    Default

    This kid should rot in jail.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

    JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

  14. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:


  15. #11
    Baluchitherium
    Join Date
    10.28.12
    Location
    Mean Street
    Posts
    4,202
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

    08.21.17 @ 09:32 PM
    Likes
    1,841
    Liked 2,028 Times in 1,265 Posts

    Default

    No doubt black people suffer inequality within the justice system, and in life in general. If it was a black dude I'm sure he woulda got the max.

    What's going on with kids today? Is the easy access to internet porn this millennium turned them into predators or something?
    These atrocities are happening with way too much frequency on college campuses.

    Another thing that pisses me off are the college's themselves. They're not doing anything to combat this. Many college's have money coming out the yang. Start using it to protect woman on campus.
    They should be attacking this problem the same way our government is attacking terrorism.

    Damn! If I'm a dad I don't know if I want my girl going to college at this point.


    Great respect to this woman for having the courage to speak out. A very well crafted letter.

  16. #12
    carpe damn diem billy007's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.19.00
    Age
    54
    Location
    On the wild card line...
    Posts
    28,683
    Favorite VH Song

    "Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 08:18 AM
    Likes
    1,046
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

    Default

    should have his unit handed to him in a pickle jar to display in his cell, and "I still have an asshole" tattooed on his back...

    what is "digital" rape?

  17. #13
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    11.12.03
    Posts
    17,322
    Favorite VH Album

    1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

    1978-1996
    Last Online

    12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Likes
    4,364
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts


    Donor


  18. #14
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    02.23.07
    Posts
    2,352
    Last Online

    11.14.17 @ 06:38 PM
    Likes
    4,723
    Liked 753 Times in 498 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    That judge seems more worried about the effect of the rape on the criminal than the victim. Liberalism at its absolute worst.
    This has fuck all to do with Liberalism...it's about the rich protecting each other...rich white privilege.
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
    Libs seem to have a lot of sympathy for criminals.
    Bullshit. Our sympathy lies with those who are not treated equitably in the justice system...

  19. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:


  20. #15
    Hang 'Em High sickman's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.13.04
    Posts
    6,170
    Favorite VH Album

    Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

    Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 02:06 PM
    Likes
    548
    Liked 1,863 Times in 732 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    It's mainly money I would bet.

    This case is ridiculous. The penalty for rape should be the equivalent to murder in my opinion. No interested in a convicted rapists seeing the outside world again.

    Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk
    I agree with that. In a rape case the woman has to live with that trauma her entire life and it can often lead to more serious issues for her in trying to live with it. Hell, at least in a murder case the victim doesn't live on for another 60+ years reliving that torment every day. The father says this kid has suffered. Not nearly enough in my opinion. They should tattoo the word RAPIST on his forehead for starters. Then maybe some serious prison time with big dick Daryl.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

  21. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:


 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Deputies: Woman caught in shower with friend's 15-year-old son
    By UncleCrappy in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03.09.16, 05:38 PM
  2. Father sentenced to 6 months in jail for over-paying child support
    By voivod in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01.10.14, 05:01 AM
  3. Woman sentenced to 18 months parole for throwing Patrick the pit bull in trash.
    By rocknblues81 in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08.30.13, 06:21 AM
  4. Ike Turner, Rock Pioneer, Ex-Husband of Tina Turner Dead at 76
    By voivod in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12.14.07, 10:07 AM
  5. Man Sentenced to Life in Prison for Exposing Woman to HIV
    By voivod in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06.13.07, 06:29 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •