Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 07:45 PM
    Liked 131 Times in 78 Posts

Default Peavey 6505+ 112 Problems

Hi guys,
    As some of you know I got a 6505+ 112 combo this past Christmas. It was used so I expected something to fail sooner or later. However, I know nothing about tube amps at all so I'm not sure what is causing this problem. A little while ago the sound started fading in and out. It did this a few times, once in a while. However, a couple days ago it did it again, only this time the sound faded out again and never came back. I checked to make sure it wasn't the guitar, cables, or effects processor, and confirmed it's the amp. The only sound I get out of the amp now is an occasional crackling noise. I tried plugging the guitar into the effects return and it did make sound. Supposedly this means it is not the power tubes or the phase inverter that is causing the problem (?). I read that a mute transistor is a possibility. I'm not really sure what else to test though.

Any input is much appreciated!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Hmmm....Well I'm not 100 percent sure if the issue transitioned on to the 6505 series amps, but this sounds like the hung relay/switch effects loop problem that was very common. The mute transistor, and cap issues were mostly fielded out earlier on in the original blockletter run, but who knows? A possibility.
    A couple things to try, is with your amp off, plug in and unplug the input, and outputs several times in quick succession with a good cable. It doesn't hurt if you have some to use some electrical cleaner on the cable end to help remove any dust, or minor arc charring that affect connectivity.
    Also do this on the remote jack, or plug in point of the footswitch.
    Last but not least, with the amp on and off standby, and your post volumes low, click the effects button a half dozen times or so in rapid succession.

I can't say for sure this is your problem, but it sounds very similar to mine, and many other people's issue. It comes from the parts responsible for switching, losing their effectiveness over time, and they will hang, or barely make positive contact.
    Mine did this several times, and in my case, the rapid on-off-on-off clicking of the foot switch cleared it up.
    My part eventually failed, and it was fixed by my tech for very little money. It just got real quiet because it started chattering, and smelled hot, and finally burned up.
    Good luck though man. Try this first, and if it doesn't work, there's a couple tube things you can try before taking it to a tech.
    Last edited by we die young; 05.30.16 at 01:55 PM.

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

How did you make out with this?