Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:54 PM
    Liked 16,512 Times in 9,356 Posts

Default May 29. 1983 ...

At approximately 10:20 PM PST at Glen Helen Regional Park in Devore, CA, this little old band from Pasadena took the stage ...

"It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

08.21.17 @ 09:32 PM
    Liked 2,028 Times in 1,265 Posts

Nothing has never dampened my love of this performance. Yeah, they were hammered, but it still sounds pretty good too me. Not on the South American level but not too shabby. I'll take an official DVD/CD whenever they want to release it.

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

I was there, and it was a once in a lifetime experience that I wouldn't want to do twice.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    I was there, and it was a once in a lifetime experience that I wouldn't want to do twice.
    If I had to do it twice to see it once I would do it.

I wish I coulda seen them back then. It's a bummer for sure.

5. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies & Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 5,127 Times in 2,425 Posts

Default May 29. 1983 ...

Quote Originally Posted by PrideofPasadena View Post
    Nothing has never dampened my love of this performance. Yeah, they were hammered, but it still sounds pretty good too me. Not on the South American level but not too shabby. I'll take an official DVD/CD whenever they want to release it.
    Exactly. Even though hammered. They were still the mighty Van Halen better than almost any band. And larger than life. That show is still epic.

7. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

Yeah. Returning home from seeing that I would not have been complaining that they were terrible cuz they were so wasted. I woulda been, "Damn! that was awesome!"

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,598 Times in 982 Posts

Donor

I wish I could say the same.

The crowd where we were standing...about 9 rows back from the stage...was not happy. Nor was my VH 'mentor.' Who dragged us outta there half way through Pretty Woman thoroughly disgusted. He was the original SoCal VH diehard, LOL. Followed 'em all through the Pasadena backyards and Sunset gigs. He's probably by proxy the reason I became a Van Halen fan by mere exposure. I miss that guy! I'm surprised he's not an (older) member here. Maybe he is and I don't even know it. Yo, Bruce, it's Steve's water polo pal you had to chaperone at the Forum gigs and Devore. If you're hereabouts, please gimme a shout out.

I didn't think Eddie was bad that night. I'd seen 'em only twice before that, from long distances inside the Forum, so 9-10 rows away from the stage was pretty good. Which is why I at least vaguely remember how wrecked Dave was. I probably didn't think he was as bad as Bruce did, but I was a kid, didn't know shit from jack shit yet. Still, he obviously wasn't himself.

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

The whole day was a major pain in the ass. I went with my girlfriend to her senior prom the night before, so I didn't even go to sleep before my three friends and I headed up to Devore at around 4:30 am. Then my car overheated right as we got off the freeway. We had to pay some kid to get from the parking lot to the venue because it was such a long walk.

As soon as Quiet Riot took the stage around noon, I immediately got separated from my three friends. I spent the rest of the day by myself. Well, there were probably at least 300,000 other people there. I remember security spraying down the crowd in the afternoon because it was pretty hot. Then the sun went down and it got pretty chilly.

By the time Van Halen hit the stage around 10:20, I was wishing I was home in my bed. When their set ended around midnight, I started walking in the general direction of the parking lot. I miraculously ran into one of my friends. We didn't leave for home until around 5:00 am. My car had been towed, so I rode home in the back of my buddy's El Camino, still wet and cold from the fire hoses from 12+ hours earlier.

My buddy pulled up at my house around 6:00 am. My mom came walking down the driveway and asked me where my car was? I said, "Mom, I don't want to talk about it." I walked to my room, fell on my bed and crashed until 2:00 pm. I don't think I've ever been more tired in my entire life.

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    I wish I could say the same.

The crowd where we were standing...about 9 rows back from the stage...was not happy. Nor was my VH 'mentor.' Who dragged us outta there half way through Pretty Woman thoroughly disgusted. He was the original SoCal VH diehard, LOL. Followed 'em all through the Pasadena backyards and Sunset gigs. He's probably by proxy the reason I became a Van Halen fan by mere exposure. I miss that guy! I'm surprised he's not an (older) member here. Maybe he is and I don't even know it. Yo, Bruce, it's Steve's water polo pal you had to chaperone at the Forum gigs and Devore. If you're hereabouts, please gimme a shout out.

I didn't think Eddie was bad that night. I'd seen 'em only twice before that, from long distances inside the Forum, so 9-10 rows away from the stage was pretty good. Which is why I at least vaguely remember how wrecked Dave was. I probably didn't think he was as bad as Bruce did, but I was a kid, didn't know shit from jack shit yet. Still, he obviously wasn't himself.

"Disgusted...left early"? Man, it wasn't that bad.

My favorite bands have all had some bad nights, but never so bad I would leave early. As bad as Ed was in '04, if I attended, I still woulda stayed the duration.

"Alex is fuckin' up left and right, lets get the hell out of here"...

14. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

Donor

The whole day was a major pain in the ass. I went with my girlfriend to her senior prom the night before, so I didn't even go to sleep before my three friends and I headed up to Devore at around 4:30 am. Then my car overheated right as we got off the freeway. We had to pay some kid to get from the parking lot to the venue because it was such a long walk.

As soon as Quiet Riot took the stage around noon, I immediately got separated from my three friends. I spent the rest of the day by myself. Well, there were probably at least 300,000 other people there. I remember security spraying down the crowd in the afternoon because it was pretty hot. Then the sun went down and it got pretty chilly.

By the time Van Halen hit the stage around 10:20, I was wishing I was home in my bed. When their set ended around midnight, I started walking in the general direction of the parking lot. I miraculously ran into one of my friends. We didn't leave for home until around 5:00 am. My car had been towed, so I rode home in the back of my buddy's El Camino, still wet and cold from the fire hoses from 12+ hours earlier.

My buddy pulled up at my house around 6:00 am. My mom came walking down the driveway and asked me where my car was? I said, "Mom, I don't want to talk about it." I walked to my room, fell on my bed and crashed until 2:00 pm. I don't think I've ever been more tired in my entire life.
    Haha. I hear ya. Do you remember my sordid Monsters of Rock tale? It was somewhat similar to your UsFest tale, but with more death threats and extraneous drug use.

Fuck day long festivals. They're awful.

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

It definitely wasn't Van Halen's finest hour. I heard that the brothers were severely pissed at Dave afterwards.

I think the Scorpions and Judas Priest probably had the best performances.

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    Haha. I hear ya. Do you remember my sordid Monsters of Rock tale? It was somewhat similar to your UsFest tale, but with more death threats and extraneous drug use.

Fuck day long festivals. They're awful.
    Totally. I was at that same Monsters of Rock show. I'll never forget all hell breaking loose when Metallica hit the stage. But, we did get to see Kingdom Come!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

Yeah, the "all day" affairs are a pain. Even when you're young.
    I would think this affected some of the VH fans more so than they're less than stellar performance.

19. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Yeah, the "all day" affairs are a pain. Even when you're young.
    I would think this affected some of the VH fans more so than they're less than stellar performance.
    Everybody there was completely exhausted by the time VH took the stage. It became blatantly obvious early into their set that they had spent the day partying way too much.

21. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

Donor

"Disgusted...left early"? Man, it wasn't that bad.

My favorite bands have all had some bad nights, but never so bad I would leave early. As bad as Ed was in '04, if I attended, I still woulda stayed the duration.

"Alex is fuckin' up left and right, lets get the hell out of here"...
    If I was in charge of our posse that night, I'm sure I wouldn't have left either. But he was the man, and he was the ride. No choice.

That said, Dave was pretty fuckin' bad. But to our leader du jour, he was a major disappointment. Probably because he'd seen Dave at his absolute peaks...before they signed with the label, the first two tours multiple times, Invasion, all of it. Compared to what he'd seen from Dave Halen to date, I'm sure UsFest truly sucked for him.

That said, I'll say it again...the Scorps brought their A game and then some. An impressive effort. So that was a bonus for me, because while I'd heard pieces of Animal Magnetism and Blackout before that show, I didn't really know what their deal was until UsFest.

I've only left one concert early, ever. It was the Crue at the Palladium in '08. They were gawd awful. I dunno if Mick and Nikki were having an off night or what, but it was just total shit. I talked to 'Paw about it back then, LOL.