Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:46 PM
    Liked 11,787 Times in 6,533 Posts

Premium Member

Default J.J. FRENCH: 'Any Classic Band That Releases A New Record Is An Idiot For Playing It'

TWISTED SISTER's JAY JAY FRENCH: 'Any Classic Band That Releases A New Record Is An Idiot For Playing It'

May 27, 2016

During a brand new interview with Goldmine magazine, TWISTED SISTER guitarist Jay Jay French once again reiterated his belief that fans are not interested in hearing new music from veteran rock artists. He said: "Let's be honest. Any classic band that releases a new record is an idiot for playing it. I mean, they can justify it all they want but no one cares. Let me tell you, you're a bunch of stupid fools if you think that anyone gives a shit. They don't. They say they do, but they don't. Which is why most of these classic bands make a new album, go out on a tour, start out with five songs from the new record, after a few weeks there are two songs and then they just want to play that one new song and get it over with. Because no one knows it and no one gives a shit about it, and they're delusional to think they do. Another delusional thing is, let's alter the arrangements and be hip. No one gives a shit about that either. If you're a great entertainer, you'll give them exactly what they want to hear, exactly how they want to hear it. That's what great entertainers do. Idiot entertainers don't do that."

French also talked about TWISTED SISTER's decision to call it quits after a final round of dates, dubbed "Forty And Fuck It - The Final Tour". He said: "Whether you like it or not, once you reach a status of 'classic,' you really start to understand people — if you really truly want to understand why people like you. You can make new product, it's all well and good, but when someone spends 200-300 bucks for a ticket, they expect certain songs, they expect the songs played correctly, they expect you to be proficient, on time and professional — that's what an entertainer is. And I will tell you that the club scene taught us an enormous amount of discipline."

He continued: "You know, I can't emphasize it enough. Dee [Snider, TWISTED SISTER singer] became one of the greatest frontmen in the world because he learned how to do it on the club scene. We learned how to be great entertainers in the bars and we followed through. And I think the band just wants to say that we reached a point where we can't do it anymore in the manner that we feel we need to do it and we should probably be respected for that. Because I don't want to takes someone's money that I don't earn. And it's hard for some people to understand that. They want to keep you hermetically sealed in a jar with their memories forever. Which I get. I do get it. But I think at some point this year will be our last show, and I'll turn around to the other guys in the band and that'll be it."

Most of TWISTED SISTER shows in 2016 are featuring the core lineup of Dee Snider (vocals), Jay Jay French (guitar), Mark Mendoza (bass) and Eddie Ojeda (guitar), along with drummer Mike Portnoy (THE WINERY DOGS, ex-DREAM THEATER).

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/twi...or-playing-it/
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:38 PM
    Liked 6,983 Times in 5,016 Posts

Premium Member

I know where French is coming from, and even EVH lamented about playing new tunes live.
    For me personally, I'd have to slightly disagree. I wanted VH to play even more songs from ADKoT, in concert!

I guess it depends on the band, and whether the audience is made up of casual listeners or fanatics like us...
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:18 PM
    Liked 1,390 Times in 763 Posts

Pardon my French, but this guy is an idiot.
    Rush played ALL of Clockwork Angels on tour. And it rocked.
    Little Dreamer

5. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 02:02 AM
    Liked 1,043 Times in 526 Posts

A friend of mine saw Maiden recently. I didn't go coz i've seen them a few times in the last 5 years. I asked him how it was and he said, they were great, Bruce sang great, but the setlist was shit. He said they played about 5 tunes off the new album and not enough old stuff and reckons it was self indulgent for them to do that. I put it back to him, is it self indulgent of them to want to play their new songs or self indulgent of you to expect them to play the songs you want?

What RR says is correct, it's only die hards like us that care about everything the band does, the majority of the audience just wants to hear hits, that's life,

Dream Theater are currently touring their new album and that's all their playing. It's over 2 hours of album and that's all you'll get. I think it's s crap album, so i'm not going. It's easy these days to find out setlists before gigs.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

08.21.17 @ 09:32 PM
    Liked 2,028 Times in 1,265 Posts

I don't agree with playing 5 new songs, or the whole record, when you have a deep catalog. There comes a point in time when you can't do that anymore. Two or three songs will suffice.

That said, if they're an all time great band like, Rush, VH.....of course we want new music. New music is better than no music. Even if it's sub par.

TS, no, we had enough of that in 1984.

8. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:54 PM
    Liked 11,602 Times in 4,946 Posts

Default J.J. FRENCH: 'Any Classic Band That Releases A New Record Is An Idiot For Pla...

Jay Jay French is just bitter nobody would give a shit about any new Twisted Sister music.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

10. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:17 PM
    Liked 7,645 Times in 4,017 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Jay Jay French is just bitter nobody would give a shit about any new Twisted Sister music.
    Never liked that band, but their recent film/documentary on their club days, was really interesting.
    They were hated by everyone except their local fanbase, yet they kept slogging it out for like a decade
    in shitholes.

They were like the Anvil of hair metal.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:05 PM
    Liked 2,390 Times in 1,492 Posts

Premium Member

I'd go to see Portnoy the rest of them suck dick.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

13. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:26 PM
    Liked 3,119 Times in 1,829 Posts

Premium Member

Bands just need to know their audience and market their shows accordingly. If you're in your third decade as a band and you're going to play large venues or county fairs, you're marketing to the average fan who knows the hits and has heard your new single once or twice, unless you explicitly market it as the 'playing album X in its entirety tour.'

Pearl Jam has had a reputation since the beginning of playing anything and everything, new setlist each night. I remember my buddy playing Pearl Jam's Madison Square Garden Live DVD for his older brother, and he couldn't believe they didn't play 'Alive.' But that is who PJ has been since the beginning. If they started touring a rigid setlist, that would be news. They have nurtured an audience that expects deep cuts and new songs.

I saw STP on a special string of shows after their 5th album came out, way after the end of the tour, small venues, and it was openly about being a thank you for the fans. A few gems were played. Expected. I saw Counting Crows on a similar outing, a string of Christmas shows in San Francisco and LA with the Wallflowers at small theaters as a thank you to fans. Not only were rarer gems played, someone had sent Adam Duritz a recording of August and Everything After--the song that was left off of their debut album of the same name. He learned it to play on that tour, something no one had heard before. Expected.

Van Halen COULD do this, but they'd need to play smaller venues, 2-3,000 people, and market it as a fan-driven tour. Deep cuts would be welcome. Play larger cities with multiple nights, and give priority to your fan club, and no one is disappointed if you play Can't Get This Stuff No More.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 03:12 AM
    Liked 1,484 Times in 905 Posts

I like to hear tunes from a new album so I disagree with French completely.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:46 PM
    Liked 11,787 Times in 6,533 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    Never liked that band, but their recent film/documentary on their club days, was really interesting.
    They were hated by everyone except their local fanbase, yet they kept slogging it out for like a decade
    in shitholes.

They were like the Anvil of hair metal.
    The Twisted Sister that got signed was not the Twisted Sister that was the local sensation selling out 3,000 seaters by word of mouth and no promotion. I was surprised to see Dee in that documentary explain how they basically sold out for the big time.

I remember locally how everybody was psyched when they got signed by Atlantic. The record company basically watered them down totally and made Dee the focal point. They did not sound or act the same at all. When they made their first album under Atlantic there were a lot of confused fans including me.

I liked them. They had a rough edge to them and basically two frontmen in JJ French and Dee Snider. Think of The New York Dolls with a harder, punkish, more metal edge to them. The live show was crazy. It would sometimes get rowdy to the point where the band would offer to fight someone giving them the finger or throwing shit on stage.

They had to make the decision to give in to Atlantic or keep their integrity. When you've been working so hard for years and you need a break, I guess you do, what you have to do.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

17. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 02:45 AM
    Liked 195 Times in 117 Posts

I still like hearing new songs from classic bands in concert, especially if they're good songs...

Iron Maiden's latest album has a bunch of tracks worth hearing live. AC/DC's latest album the same.
    “And what we have at our fingertips is arguably one of the greatest high tenor voices ever – that was in Michael Anthony. In our tiny little corner of the universe, that voice is as identifiable as the high voice in Earth, Wind & Fire, as identifiable as the high voice in the Beach Boys. Van Halen is an indelicate house blend of both – that’s intentionally. So I would always look forward to that reunion.” - David Lee Roth

19. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Song

Ain\'t talkin bout love
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:26 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Sane View Post
    I still like hearing new songs from classic bands in concert, especially if they're good songs...

Iron Maiden's latest album has a bunch of tracks worth hearing live. AC/DC's latest album the same.

Agree with this. I remember seeing AC/DC open the show with 'Rock n Roll Train" on the Black Ice tour. It was a great show starter.
    Know Roth
    Know Van Halen

No Roth
    No Van Halen

21. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

i think it's another one of those situations where "one size fits all". A band like KISS, Journey or Foreigner is probably not very welcome to be playing new songs, while a song that has continued to be active with a consistent lineup like Rush or AC/DC can get away with it. Part of the problem is not so much the concert, but it's the radio not playing new material by these classic bands, so the opportunity to hear it isn't there. I've often lamented why "classic rock" stations can't mix in some of the newer songs by classic bands.

As for Twisted Sister, they have what, three songs people probably want to hear, if that? Certainly "We're Not Gonna Take It" and maybe "I Wanna Rock" and "Leader Of The Pack" - play those, and then they could play someone else's new songs and no one would probably notice!

23. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

What a bunch of bitter douchebags in Twisted.

They act like they're Zeppelin when they're not even Kingdom Come

25. The Following Member Likes This Post: