Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:51 PM
    Liked 3,108 Times in 1,820 Posts

Premium Member

Default You can be fined for not calling people the pronoun they demand you use

At least in NY, anyway. We've officially gone insane. All kinds of things to unpack here. First, does free speech exist in a country that allows others to use government to force you to say something against your will by threat of fine and/or imprisonment? What if my gender identity means I want to be called "Darth Cunty" as my pronoun?

You can be fined for not calling people ‘ze’ or ‘hir,’ if that’s the pronoun they demand that you use
    By Eugene Volokh May 17 at 12:57 PM

That’s the official legal guidance from the New York City Commission on Human Rights:

The NYCHRL [New York City Human Rights Law] requires employers[, landlords, and all businesses and professionals] to use an [employee’s, tenant’s, customer’s, or client’s] preferred name, pronoun and title (e.g., Ms./Mrs.) regardless of the individual’s sex assigned at birth, anatomy, gender, medical history, appearance, or the sex indicated on the individual’s identification.

Most individuals and many transgender people use female or male pronouns and titles. Some transgender and gender non-conforming people prefer to use pronouns other than he/him/his or she/her/hers, such as they/them/theirs or ze/hir. [Footnote: Ze and hir are popular gender-free pronouns preferred by some transgender and/or gender non-conforming individuals.] …

Examples of Violations

a. Intentional or repeated refusal to use an individual’s preferred name, pronoun or title. For example, repeatedly calling a transgender woman “him” or “Mr.” after she has made clear which pronouns and title she uses …

Covered entities may avoid violations of the NYCHRL by creating a policy of asking everyone what their preferred gender pronoun is so that no individual is singled out for such questions and by updating their systems to allow all individuals to self-identify their names and genders. They should not limit the options for identification to male and female only.

So people can basically force us — on pain of massive legal liability — to say what they want us to say, whether or not we want to endorse the political message associated with that term, and whether or not we think it’s a lie.

We have to use “ze,” a made-up word that carries an obvious political connotation (endorsement of the “non-binary” view of gender). We have to call people “him” and “her” even if we believe that people’s genders are determined by their biological sex and not by their self-perceptions — perceptions that, by the way, can rapidly change, for those who are “gender-fluid” — and that using terms tied to self-perception is basically a lie. (I myself am not sure whether people who are anatomically male, for example, but perceive themselves as female should be viewed as men or women; perhaps one day I’ll be persuaded that they should be viewed as women; my objection is to being forced to express that view.) We can’t be required to even display a license plate that says “Live Free or Die” on our car, if we object to the message; that’s what the court held in Wooley v. Maynard (1978). But New York is requiring people to actually say words that convey a message of approval of the view that gender is a matter of self-perception rather than anatomy, and that, as to “ze,” were deliberately created to convey that a message . . .

The article goes on.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

08.21.17 @ 09:32 PM
    Liked 2,028 Times in 1,265 Posts

A little confused here. What's wrong with Ms. or Mr.? Can't they just say I'm a Ms. now, or a Mr.?

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

10.06.17 @ 08:45 PM
    Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts

They could. I'm sure it's just one more thing they are all too happy to bitch about. Although maybe it's just the tools running New York are solving a problem that doesn't exist. I've honestly never heard any transgenders complain about this before. Either way, I wonder which bathrooms the they/ze/hir transgenders will use at the businesses they are working at and if they will demand a they/ze/hir transgender bathroom too.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:27 PM
    Liked 18,115 Times in 8,948 Posts

I have my "transgender sensitivity training" coming soon, I wonder if this will be brought up.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 07:02 PM
    Liked 6,673 Times in 3,698 Posts

it's very hard to legislate not being a dickhead. That seems to be what they are attempting to do. Not gonna work. How bout just asking people to treat everyone with respect and leave it at that?

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

That's Ze Dickhead...get it right.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:42 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

This is stupid. If you look like a chick it's "Hey Ms." if you look like a dude it's "Hey Mr." and if I just can't tell what the fuck you are it's "Hey You". I can promise I will never say ze/hir out loud in my life. Just won't do it.
    Trannies make up what .3% of the population yet pushing this stupid agenda seems to be taking up 50% of the media's attention. Aside from that, the last time I checked there are men and women that make up the human race. There is no in between or other sex. I get it that some people were born a girl but want to be a boy and vice versa. Why do we have to invent new pronouns? It's not like people were born a boy but want to identify as a unicorn, and if they do they belong in a mental institution.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

I'm starting to think that this is the type of stupid shit that makes people go "fuck it, I'll vote for Trump."

Favorite VH Album

Bark Like A Dog
    Favorite VH Song

Act Like It Hurts
    Last Online

06.26.17 @ 04:51 PM
    Liked 643 Times in 328 Posts

I suddenly have the urge to listen to the Scissor Sisters song "I Don't Feel Like Dancing".
    "Never is just reven spelled backwards." -House

"Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?" -THE Rob Gordon

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.14.17 @ 06:38 PM
    Liked 753 Times in 498 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sickman View Post
    This is stupid. If you look like a chick it's "Hey Ms." if you look like a dude it's "Hey Mr." and if I just can't tell what the fuck you are it's "Hey You". I can promise I will never say ze/hir out loud in my life. Just won't do it.
    Trannies make up what .3% of the population yet pushing this stupid agenda seems to be taking up 50% of the media's attention. Aside from that, the last time I checked there are men and women that make up the human race. There is no in between or other sex. I get it that some people were born a girl but want to be a boy and vice versa. Why do we have to invent new pronouns? It's not like people were born a boy but want to identify as a unicorn, and if they do they belong in a mental institution.
    How ironic that you use the term "trannies" in your argument...

Not all trans-gendered people identify with one gender or the other...many identify with a third gender.

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 01:34 AM
    Liked 6,826 Times in 3,568 Posts

Premium Member

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:42 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by cdnangel View Post
    How ironic that you use the term "trannies" in your argument...

Not all trans-gendered people identify with one gender or the other...many identify with a third gender.
    And what gender is that? Actually I really don't care. Like I said, it's such a minute % of the population that I will never come in to contact with. As far as I'm concerned it's a non issue. There are 2 genders, male and female, that's it. Pick one and stick with it. There is no such thing as a third. To say there is is giving in to their mental illness.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

16. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.14.17 @ 06:38 PM
    Liked 753 Times in 498 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sickman View Post
    And what gender is that? Actually I really don't care. Like I said, it's such a minute % of the population that I will never come in to contact with. As far as I'm concerned it's a non issue. There are 2 genders, male and female, that's it. Pick one and stick with it. There is no such thing as a third. To say there is is giving in to their mental illness.
    Take some anthropology classes, bud. Many cultures recognize a 3rd, and in some cases, a 4th gender.

Captain Cook talked about the Polynesian 3rd gender, and many North American First Nations recognize 2-spirits as being 3rd gender.

Science backs it up as they discover there is more than just the xx or xy chromosome pairings...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,106 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

How bout just kill them all
    Problem solved
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:47 PM
    Liked 10,840 Times in 5,702 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I'm starting to think that this is the type of stupid shit that makes people go "fuck it, I'll vote for Trump."
    Of course it is.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.