Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

Pleasure Dome
    Last Online

05.06.20 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dont disturb my Paradise View Post
    It's been stated that the album and DVD was recorded over 2 nights at Selland arena, Fresno and was heavily touched up In the studio.
    But the following night at Inglewood, California, they played "Ain't talkin'...", "Love walks in", "Dreams" and "Won't get fooled again". These 4 songs weren't played at the Fresno shows, in fact the whole tour.
    It's been said that they were recorded for the album from 5150 studios only, but I'm thinking that they actually added these 4 songs from the Inglewood shows, and then touched them up later.
    There's a lot of mystery about this album. Does anyone else have any added info?
    This is my first post on here. It will be a long one. A subject near and dear to my heart – Right Here Right Now and the Carnal Knowledge tour. I’m going to take you back to 1991-1992 and what it was like through my eyes and ears with that album, tour and live album.

It had been a long wait since OU812. We knew VH was working on the next album, but it was taking a long time. When I first heard Poundcake on the radio, I was floored. It was epic sounding to me, with an amazing drum sound and bass pumping. There were a lot of complaints that the bass was weak on OU812. Andy Johns had been summoned to mix (and co-produce) the album with a harder edge. Later the band appeared on the radio to premiere the album. Well most of it. They talked over the songs (to prevent people taping it in it’s entirety) and teased us by saying there were more songs that they didn’t play. I bought the CD when it came out in June 1991 and played it to death. I was a little annoyed that the few extra tunes they hinted at were nowhere to be found. I tried to catch every MTV News clip of them live. MTV was in Atlanta during the final rehearsal night of the tour and I remember a few things: A shot of Eddie playing Spanked, Sammy walking around giving the audience a tour of the stage and showing off a floodlight he was going to be using on the crowd during the tour (he abandoned that idea really early because I saw the 10th show of the tour and it was not used).

I was stoked to be going to see them on 9/1/1991 in Tinley Park, IL in the south Chicago suburbs. My friend and I arrived during Alice In Chains set (we were stuck in terrible traffic getting into the venue). As we were walking though the lot we heard what sounded like a note for note version of The Star Spangled Banner as done by Hendrix at Woodstock. My first thought was it must be the guitar player from Alice in Chains playing it. Then we heard the sound of a drill. Poundcake was starting!!! RUN!!! We were missing it. The crowd was going nuts. I’ll never forget the energy of that crowd and that opening. We got to our seats in the 17th row, but there was a girl and a young boy there. I was like, “WTF? Why are they in our seats?!” But it was so loud, we couldn’t be heard over the music to discuss anything. So I waited until the song ended. I then realized in our panic to get to our seats, we were one section off. We were supposed to be dead center! So we ran again as Judgement Day started. I was pissed, annoyed, and thrilled all at the same time as the band opened with this kick ass 1-2 punch off the album I played every day. They then did Spanked and Runaround. I couldn’t believe it – four new songs in a row. I was loving it. Sammy later said he had a cold and it wasn’t until later that I found out were were jipped – they had dropped two songs because of his cold (A.F.U. and You Really Got Me).

Later that fall, they released a black and white film of Top Of The World from the Shoreline Amphitheatre a couple of weeks after my show to be the official video on MTV. I loved the live sound and could only dream of a full show coming out sounding like that. I also was hoping they’d release a full tour video since they hadn’t for OU812, although I believe we had the Tokyo Dome video by then. I remember reading an article in one of the guitar magazines at one point where Eddie had said one of their October shows at the Meadowlands in New Jersey was magical and I let my mind just fantasize how incredible it must have been. Damn, I needed to see them again. Finally months later I heard they were coming in the vicinity of Chicago – to Fort Wayne, Indiana which was about 3 hours away. Hey, I can go to that show! If you look at the tour, you’ll notice they played everywhere including lots of small markets and college towns rather than return to the big city areas again. So a friend and I bought tickets – but the show was postponed due to Sammy being sick (again he was sick). The show was played on 3/3/1992. It was a general admission floor show and we got in line at a decent time. My friend snuck a tape recorder in (which was lucky, Indiana State Police were there) and we ran to the front center. We couldn’t believe it. We were in the front row against the barricade! When Baby Animals, the opener started playing, we were in for a rude awakening. We were being crushed by the people behind us. For the entire set it got worse and worse. People were being pulled out of the floor who were injured or wanted out. We though it was a joke. Finally I ended up right behind my friend so at least I would get pushed into a human rather than a steel barricade that was chest high. Finally we decided at the last minute it was not worth it and they pulled my friend out by his arms. I jumped up on the barricade on my ass and swung myself over which was fortunate. My friend was pulled straight up and back by his arms and he injured his legs. He almost lost his shoes. We found an area close to the stage to watch and record the show. The recording came out terrible. What I remembered about the show was Eddie playing the into to Pleasure Dome at the beginning of his solo (oh how I was hoping they’d play the whole song!), Right Now was in the set while In N Out and Spanked were gone, and Rock and Roll at the end with Dweezil Zappa guesting. A month later I found myself at the 4/11/1992 show in Peoria, IL but I don’t remember anything about that show.

So the tour finally is over and all that time I was looking for the best sounding bootlegs of the tour. Then one day in the summer, I was told there was going to be a Westwood One Radio Special (Cabo Wabo Radio Festival) from this tour! I was freaking out. This was too good to be true. The day of the broadcast 8/20/92 I was on the phone with a fan who knew the songs that were going to be played and he told me they did Spanked, In N Out (both dropped early in the tour), Man On A Mission, and more. I couldn’t believe it. They not only brought Spanked and In N Out back, but Man On A Mission was added too?! Eddie had said they dropped Spanked because of wireless issues with the 6 string bass/6 string guitar doubleneck. Anyway, the broadcast was better than I could have hoped for. Give To Live instead of Eagles Fly was a nice surprise. They even did Cabo Wabo in You Really Got Me which blew me away. Before Right Now, Sammy yelled “Right now Van Halen’s kicking ass in FRESNOOOOO!!!” The mix was pretty good, though the drums sounded flat compared to the Top Of The World video. The broadcast was also interesting because the show ended with Best Of Both Worlds going into Top Of The World instead of Jump. I played this tape constantly in the later half of 1992. I still have this tape, though I have nothing to play it on and I am sure it is not in the best shape. But I suppose I should transfer it someday - though there are boots of this radio show - I can't find it on YouTube.

This was the setlist of the radio broadcast:
    Disc 1
    1. Poundcake 5:43
    2. Judgement Day 4:52
    3. Spanked 5:29
    4. When It's Love 5:34
    5. Man On A Mission 5:01
    6. Panama 4:18
    7. Right Now 6:08
    8. Why Can't This Be Love 4:11
    9. Finish What You Started 6:05

Disc 2
    1. Give To Live 6:03
    2. Eddie Solo 9:41
    3. You Really Got Me 2:12
    4. Cabo Wabo 5:49
    5. Jump 4:08
    6. In 'N' Out 6:39
    7. The Dream Is Over 4:40
    8. Best Of Both Worlds 4:39
    9. Top Of The World 5:00

In January 1993 they released the first track from the upcoming live album Right Here Right Now to radio. It was Won’t Get Fooled Again. I remember pulling over into a gas station in the evening to listen intently to it. It was incredible. Where was this from? I never heard of them playing it on the 91-92 tour. They announced the new live album was recorded on different tours. I couldn’t wait for it. When the live album and video were released I was both exciting and confused. The drum mix by Andy Johns was way better than the radio mix done by Eddie, Alex and Jon Ostrin. It seemed like most of the set was from the Fresno show, plus a handful of older tour songs. Let me move to the video for a second. I have never been more let down by a video. Live Without A Net was everything RHRN wasn’t. And that idiot Mitchell Sinoway had the nerve to put a video introduction of himself before the concert started as if he was some special director. My heart sank immediately as I watched this horrible representation of the magic I saw on tour. The pay-per-view Toronto 1995 show (shot on video not film) is what it was like to see VH in the early 90’s. He edited both nights together within the same song. Sammy wearing red, Sammy wearing yellow. That ruined it. The film looks too dark and the angles were bad too. I truly feel a lot of these songs were filmed after the audience left (like Man On A Mission) to get close ups. Just terrible.

Anyway, let me dive in to the album and what I figured out. Most of the die-hard fans agreed that four of the songs were not played on the F.U.C.K. tour. Ain’t Talkin Bout Love, Love Walks In, Dreams, and Won’t Get Fooled Again. These were all impeccable performances too – these are not songs you just whip out for a single night and do them. They weren’t from the 5150 tour because Eddie played keyboards on that tour. They didn’t sound like the OU812 tour either (they had the same sound as the 91-92 material). On RHRN during the intro to Right Now Sammy says in a calm voice “Right now, Van Halen’s kicking ass in America.” But I vividly remember that Fresno radio broadcast where he yells excitedly “Right now Van Halen’s kicking ass in Fresno!” The sound/mix of his intro on the live album was the same as what he sounds like introducing Love Walks In. Now if Love Walks In was faked, including the intro, and it sounds exactly like his intro to Right Now, something B.S. is going on. In N Out on the Fresno broadcast seemed to be complete without any problems. For some reason on the live album and the video, there are weird edits. On the radio broadcast Spanked has that great spoken breakdown done by Sammy (which was totally different that the original one early in the tour). That was missing on RHRN, but it was on the video version! What was going on with the editing? I was not happy that The Dream Is Over was left off the live album and only on the video. Remember when I mentioned Best Of Both Worlds going into Top Of The World on the Fresno show? You can hear Sammy saying the exact same thing on the Westwood one tape as on the RHRN live CD except on RHRN it is faded out literally as Sammy is saying “One more! We’re gonna do one more!” and then instead it goes into 316? Terrible! Many of us know Sammy’s story about flying back from Hawaii (which he was not happy about) to sing in front of video monitor to fix the songs) as well and admitting not everything was live in concert. And not a single fan has ever commented on hearing them do Won't Get Fooled Again live prior to RHRN. No bootleg, no newspaper review, not one fan. Like I said, that version is well planned out, impeccably performed by all of them (even The Who had problems remembering it sometimes) and we're to believe it was done on tour? This by a band that had to re-do some of the own material for RHRN (per Sammy)? No way. Those four additional songs are live, but live in the studio or at an empty venue. Look, even The Beatles secretly had to fix their live performances for the Shea Stadium film. They booked a secret session at a TV studio to re-do some of the songs, or re-do their parts. It was never announced and they didn't want the public to know about it. Most live albums have doctoring going on. Some far more than others. The only way we'll know the truth about Fresno on those two nights is if bootlegs surface - which for some reason, I have never seen. Wo don't even know the true setlist from those two shows. Has anyone ever seen a full audience tape for either night or a review of the show(s)?

Please do not go always go by setlist.com – there are many, many mistakes on it. For one they not only list 2/24/1992 as having occurred, they have a fake setlist for it. It never happened.

They could have released a live album called Live in Fresno 1992. They had a minor issue – Roth wanted Warner Bros to release a Greatest Hits album of his VH days plus his solo material and Ed Lefler was concerned it would steal the current VH lineup’s momentum and divide the fan base. So they wanted to put out versions of Sammy doing some of the old Dave songs and the live album was the compromise. I think they added Love Walks In and Dreams because 5150 was hardly represented on RHRN, Ain’t Talkin’ Bout Love was another Roth tune they could throw on and Won’t Get Fooled Again was something new. Not sure where that one came from. Apparently the live versions recorded in Fresno weren’t perfect so they re-did some of them or many of them. I always wondered if Mike played on Man On A Mission at all live or if it was just Eddie in the studio.

The bottom line is I still loved the live album even if it was partially a studio live album. The songs were great, the playing and singing were great and I was eating it up. The fake crowd apparent on most songs is a little annoying.

2. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

Pleasure Dome
    Last Online

05.06.20 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Well I finally have some additional proof to back up my claims. The two Fresno 1992 shows are available as uncut audience tapes and I listened to both. Spanked, In N Out and Man On A Mission were not played at either Fresno show. The only rare song they did was Cabo Wabo. So the versions in the RHRN video are faked. Not surprised as they look different to the rest of the show. That makes a total of 7 songs they recorded in the studio for the live album and added the crowd noise. I'll say it again - all 7 songs are great versions and I've played them to death since they all came out, but they are not live in front of an audience. Another thing I noticed on the Fresno shows - Sammy's voice was rough. It was the end of that long tour and he definitely was having issues. I can see why the brothers wanted him to fix his parts. Compare Sammy to the Toyko Dome concert in February 1989 and he's in top form. That show didn't seem to need any editing.

One other thing - there is a complete audience tape of LA on 1992-05-16 which is the night after the two Fresno shows. The setlist listed on setlist.fm is the entire RHRN live album. We all should know this makes NO sense. They wouldn't record and film the previous two nights and then play the longest and most unusual setlist of the tour the night after. And they didn't. None of those 6 tracks on RHRN were played in LA but Spanked was played during You Really Got Me (I haven't heard it yet - how? Where did he get the doubleneck?) The Fresno and LA shows were the same 2 hour set that they played at just about every show from late 1991-1992.
    Last edited by Ram4; 05.06.20 at 01:34 PM.

4. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Good Enough Dont disturb my Paradise's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

5150. F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Love walks in. Right now.
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 10:14 PM
    Liked 318 Times in 181 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ram4 View Post
    Well I finally have some additional proof to back up my claims. The two Fresno 1992 shows are available as uncut audience tapes and I listened to both. Spanked, In N Out and Man On A Mission were not played at either Fresno show. The only rare song they did was Cabo Wabo. So the versions in the RHRN video are faked. Not surprised as they look different to the rest of the show. That makes a total of 7 songs they recorded in the studio for the live album and added the crowd noise. I'll say it again - all 7 songs are great versions and I've played them to death since they all came out, but they are not live in front of an audience. Another thing I noticed on the Fresno shows - Sammy's voice was rough. It was the end of that long tour and he definitely was having issues. I can see why the brothers wanted him to fix his parts. Compare Sammy to the Toyko Dome concert in February 1989 and he's in top form. That show didn't seem to need any editing.

One other thing - there is a complete audience tape of LA on 1992-05-16 which is the night after the two Fresno shows. The setlist listed on setlist.fm is the entire RHRN live album. We all should know this makes NO sense. They wouldn't record and film the previous two nights and then play the longest and most unusual setlist of the tour the night after. And they didn't. None of those 6 tracks on RHRN were played in LA but Spanked was played during You Really Got Me (I haven't heard it yet - how? Where did he get the doubleneck?) The Fresno and LA shows were the same 2 hour set that they played at just about every show from late 1991-1992.
    How can you “fake” playing those 3 songs?. They were in front of an audience. Do you mean they were used from another show, and not Fresno??
    What is understood need not be discussed

"Dont disturb my paradise. I've asked you once. I've asked you nice" - "SERIOUS JU JU"

"I am in a blissful state. Dont bug me!!!" - Richard Dreyfuss "The Goodbye girl" 1977

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

Today @ 08:32 AM
    Liked 29,510 Times in 14,930 Posts

RHRN is such a colossal fuck up, there might not be anyone living on planet Earth that knows when each song was recorded, or where.

From Sam's accounts, the whole thing was practically re-done in the studio, which is simply maybe the dumbest damn thing I've ever heard. The greatest live band on the planet at the time (IMHO), and they just couldn't release something with a few warts on it.

Fast forward 20+ years later, and they release something with warts all over it...but won't release the MSG DVD from 2008 because Ed doesn't like his playing on it.

VH will drive you crazy, at this point I have learned to simply shrug my shoulders, say "it's Van Halen, it's what they do" and move on with my day.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Today @ 09:59 AM
    Liked 1,253 Times in 829 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dont disturb my Paradise View Post
    How can you “fake” playing those 3 songs?. They were in front of an audience. Do you mean they were used from another show, and not Fresno??
    Have a look. Not too many wide shots of the band and the audience, is there? And whenever there is one, Ed's not holding the double neck (3:01)

Ive never noticed this before, but I would bet anything they played this in an empty arena in front of no one. Possibly at soundcheck?

My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 10:14 AM
    Liked 2,569 Times in 1,540 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    Have a look. Not too many wide shots of the band and the audience, is there? And whenever there is one, Ed's not holding the double neck (3:01)

Ive never noticed this before, but I would bet anything they played this in an empty arena in front of no one. Possibly at soundcheck?

the rumor was that the songs in question were only performed at the soundcheck and they edited footage to create them for the video

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Bad to the Bone View Post
    the rumor was that the songs in question were only performed at the soundcheck and they edited footage to create them for the video
    I had never heard that, but its glaring to me now.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 10:14 AM
    Liked 2,569 Times in 1,540 Posts

seriously, the guy that edited that committed a crime against humanity. I mean who would think that would play well? jeez.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

Today @ 08:32 AM
    Liked 29,510 Times in 14,930 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bad to the Bone View Post
    seriously, the guy that edited that committed a crime against humanity. I mean who would think that would play well? jeez.
    The video editing on that DVD is a visual crime. FFS, I could have done a better job with two VHS recorders.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

05.28.20 @ 02:54 PM
    Liked 3,316 Times in 2,252 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    I had never heard that, but its glaring to me now.
    We usually bring that fact up every year during our annual RHRN discussion..lol...

Same goes of MOAM and In n Out. All close ups are during soundcheck with no fans. Then they splice in some b-roll audience shots. These 3 songs are confirmed by the Fresno audience audio recording to have not been played.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

It has probably been 15 years since I've watched RHRN so I'm a bi out of practice, it seems.

I never noticed any of this back in the day though, even after finding out that much of the album was a studio production as opposed to a live on.

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Today @ 06:46 AM
    Liked 15,587 Times in 8,547 Posts

The editing on RHRN gives me a headache. And Sammy changing clothes mid-song with some of the edits is just stupid. Mitchell Sinoway, or whatever his name is, did a piss poor job making this video.

Good Enough Dont disturb my Paradise's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

5150. F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Love walks in. Right now.
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 10:14 PM
    Liked 318 Times in 181 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by atomicpunk5151 View Post
    We usually bring that fact up every year during our annual RHRN discussion..lol...

Same goes of MOAM and In n Out. All close ups are during soundcheck with no fans. Then they splice in some b-roll audience shots. These 3 songs are confirmed by the Fresno audience audio recording to have not been played.

I will be totally honest. In the 27 years since it was released, I have watched the DVD about 5 times fully. I’m just stumped, literally stumped. Why the fuck would they do this???. They were on fire in ‘92.
    What is understood need not be discussed

"Dont disturb my paradise. I've asked you once. I've asked you nice" - "SERIOUS JU JU"

"I am in a blissful state. Dont bug me!!!" - Richard Dreyfuss "The Goodbye girl" 1977