Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 06:41 AM
    Liked 193 Times in 97 Posts

Default EVH Lunchbox

Anyone get one of the 15W EVH Lunchbox Amps and loved it? I was thinking about picking up one used, saw a couple for less than $500.00.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

~ I like the way the line runs up the back of her stockings ~

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,338 Times in 3,184 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I thought about getting one but am going with an orange dual terror instead. 30 watts and 4 el84's.

Sent from my iPhone using swagger

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 01:29 PM
    Liked 6,971 Times in 5,007 Posts

Premium Member

I was just watching some YT demos last night, and today. Sounds pretty badass to me!
    JohnnyB. had his hands on one for a demo clip. I asked him about it, and he said the amp sounds great, and would probably by loud enough for full band jamming and smaller gigs.

There's also a write up on the LBX in the current GW magazine, in the New Gear section...
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

4. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 02:38 PM
    Liked 62 Times in 31 Posts

Donor

I'd like to hear some opinions from folks who own both the lunchbox & one of the 50-watt 5150 III's & hear what they think about how they compare.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:25 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts

I have the LBX and love it. It depends what you're using it for and what kind of guitars you're playing. I'm playing it through the EVH 1x12 and EVH guitars, so you know what kind of tone I want. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the tone. Even my wife thinks it sounds great. It replaced a Mesa Boogie and I find the LBX to be better made and much clearer, especially with harmonics. The 1/4 power switch has allowed me to get rid of my attenuator, so that's a plus.

I think the only area without major experience is volume with drums. I've played with light percussion at church without a problem. The LBX is quite loud, so I don't expect a problem.

Under $500 seems like a good deal. Feel free to PM or just follow up with any other questions.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 06:41 AM
    Liked 193 Times in 97 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by clawedmonet View Post
    I have the LBX and love it. It depends what you're using it for and what kind of guitars you're playing. I'm playing it through the EVH 1x12 and EVH guitars, so you know what kind of tone I want. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the tone. Even my wife thinks it sounds great. It replaced a Mesa Boogie and I find the LBX to be better made and much clearer, especially with harmonics. The 1/4 power switch has allowed me to get rid of my attenuator, so that's a plus.

I think the only area without major experience is volume with drums. I've played with light percussion at church without a problem. The LBX is quite loud, so I don't expect a problem.

Under $500 seems like a good deal. Feel free to PM or just follow up with any other questions.
    Thanks for the info. My goal is to get a nice EVH Brown Sound, most of my guitars are EVH too, sounds like this is what I was hoping for.
    ~ I like the way the line runs up the back of her stockings ~

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:25 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts

Good luck! Let me know what you think.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyBHarris View Post
    My goal is to get a nice EVH Brown Sound
    .....with a crackling 5150 III amp, eh......

Have you checked the Yamaha desktop amp we discussed ad nauseam about a year ago?

My only angle is that if you're going for the Brown Sound (in my world, that's nothing post 1988, and arguably post 1984), a device of any kind emulating a high-gain 6L6 amp probably isn't the way to go.

That said: I myself have debated the lunchbox amp, as the 5150 III can be dialed-in to be to be a very "round" sound, and relatively "inoffensive" compared to other high fidelity, modern amps.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 01:27 PM
    Liked 11,578 Times in 4,934 Posts

Default EVH Lunchbox

I tried one at a local store a while ago and it sounded good. It definitely wasn't Ed's brown tone it's much more like his current tone I don't like but it got loud for sure. It was a little expensive for what it was I thought. I instead bought one of the Yamaha THR10x's which amazingly gets very brown and for me it's for the house, I wouldn't use it for anything else but it's great for that and home recording.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,338 Times in 3,184 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I'll say it again. Try a orange dual terror.

13. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:08 PM
    Liked 729 Times in 346 Posts

FWIW, I was in the situation a few weeks ago where I was trying to decide between a 5150 III combo, and a LBX head, as they would both be around the same price.
    Things to consider:

A 5150III combo has 3 channels, and the LBX has only 2, crunch and lead. The clean channel on the combo really isn't "clean", but I was planning on using a separate clean amp for that anyway, so the "clean" channel wouldn't be an issue for me.

The wattage difference concerned me at first, but the 15W is plenty loud for gigging. The LBX does have what I consider a warmer tone, probably due to the power tubes being pushed harder and adding their own flavor.

At the end of the day, I chose the combo (1x12). I liked the reverb, and the 3 channels. Even though I don't use the "clean" channel for cleans, it's very nice for moderate gain stuff. Crunch and lead channels on both amps are searing, so it gives me a nice in-between of clean and high gain. Good blues channel.

I like that the power scaling on the 112 combo, and the fact that it's one piece of gear, instead of a head and a cab. In the event that I feel I need more horse power, I do have the option of using the entire 50 watts, whereas I'm limited on the LBX.

I could have really gone either way. The LBX does have it's own unique tone as compared to the others. If you weren't playing any cleans, or were going to a/b with a clean amp, it would be a great choice.

I had a lot of visions of how to deploy the LBX in a practical sense. One of them was to get a Stereo 4x12 cab, and have a Tiny Terror and a 5150 LBX sharing the top of it, with each of them taking an input of the cabinet, then running an a/b into them.

As it stands now, I'm running a 5150III 112 combo, and a/b the input to a Fender Champion 40 for my clean tones. This rig works great. I just screwed an Audio Technica AT8681 unimix module to the side of the Fender Champion 40 for my 2 mic inputs from my amps, and run one mic cable to the board with my guitar mix.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

15. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 01:29 PM
    Liked 6,971 Times in 5,007 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    FWIW, I was in the situation a few weeks ago where I was trying to decide between a 5150 III combo, and a LBX head, as they would both be around the same price.
    Things to consider:

A 5150III combo has 3 channels, and the LBX has only 2, crunch and lead. The clean channel on the combo really isn't "clean", but I was planning on using a separate clean amp for that anyway, so the "clean" channel wouldn't be an issue for me.

The wattage difference concerned me at first, but the 15W is plenty loud for gigging. The LBX does have what I consider a warmer tone, probably due to the power tubes being pushed harder and adding their own flavor.

At the end of the day, I chose the combo (1x12). I liked the reverb, and the 3 channels. Even though I don't use the "clean" channel for cleans, it's very nice for moderate gain stuff. Crunch and lead channels on both amps are searing, so it gives me a nice in-between of clean and high gain. Good blues channel.

I like that the power scaling on the 112 combo, and the fact that it's one piece of gear, instead of a head and a cab. In the event that I feel I need more horse power, I do have the option of using the entire 50 watts, whereas I'm limited on the LBX.

I could have really gone either way. The LBX does have it's own unique tone as compared to the others. If you weren't playing any cleans, or were going to a/b with a clean amp, it would be a great choice.

I had a lot of visions of how to deploy the LBX in a practical sense. One of them was to get a Stereo 4x12 cab, and have a Tiny Terror and a 5150 LBX sharing the top of it, with each of them taking an input of the cabinet, then running an a/b into them.

As it stands now, I'm running a 5150III 112 combo, and a/b the input to a Fender Champion 40 for my clean tones. This rig works great. I just screwed an Audio Technica AT8681 unimix module to the side of the Fender Champion 40 for my 2 mic inputs from my amps, and run one mic cable to the board with my guitar mix.
    That's a really good a/b list of the pros and cons. I'd probably go with the 5150III 1x12 combo as well, although the LBX does certainly deserve a mention.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    I'll say it again. Try a orange dual terror.

+1 Those sound awesome man! They've got a lot of warmth. Hell...Even the original Tiny Terror blew my mind. I saw the single tone control, and thought "what could you possibly get outta that?", I really didn't give it the benefit of the doubt, but after trying it, it's deceptive. You get a lot of range out of that control and don't sacrifice clarity at all.

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:20 PM
    Liked 600 Times in 391 Posts

Here's some of my videos with the LBX.

My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
    http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

My bio.
    http://about.me/johnnybeane

"Like" me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

I had one for a month on a rental from my local music shop. Great little amp, capable of some very good tones. However I also have the 5150 pedal, which is awesome, and the LBX did not really give me anything that I couldnt get with the 5150 pedal, so back it went. My main sound for playing at home is the 5150 pedal. Thats it. I am very happy with it, its all I need. I will probably pick up a used 1x12 one day if ever I see one, but that 5150 pedal really is the bees knees.