Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Sensible Shoes
    Last Online

10.24.16 @ 09:38 PM
    Liked 653 Times in 459 Posts

Premium Member

Default Navy SEAL Charles Keating IV

Figured I'd post this, Navy SEAL Charles Keating IV.

This guy got married right before his last deployment. Gut-wrenching. RIP

The Navy SEAL community made a rare public showing of grief Thursday as it gathered to mourn Charles Keating IV, a 31-year-old Coronado SEAL killed in Iraq this month.

“He gave his life to protect his brothers,” said Keating’s younger brother, Billy Keating, also an enlisted SEAL.

A memorial tribute on Thursday at Coronado's Tidelands Park included Charles Keating IV's Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL training helmet and other gear that belonged to the fallen Navy SEAL. / San Diego Union-Tribune

“On May 3, I lost my brother. Through the teams, I have a couple thousand more. We will seek vengeance,” he said.

More than 1,000 people attended a public memorial ceremony at Coronado’s Tidelands Park. A funeral procession will wind through Coronado on Friday, starting on Sixth Street at Spreckels Park at noon. The city has invited the public to come line the streets.
    Keating was posthumously awarded the Silver Star, the nation’s third-highest combat medal, for a fierce March battle in Iraq against the jihadist group known as the Islamic State, or ISIS. He was also promoted to chief petty officer.

More than 50 SEALs have been killed in action in Iraq or Afghanistan. What makes Keating’s death unique is that American troops are in Iraq to advise and support Iraqi troops -- not a combat role.
    He is the third U.S. serviceman to die as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the nearly 2-year-old U.S. campaign to defeat ISIS in Iraq and Syria.

Friends and family described Keating alternately as class comedian and fearless frogman, the nickname for the nation’s elite Navy fighters.

For example, the lanky high school and Indiana University running star developed an ulcer during Hell Week, the toughest part of the six-month SEAL course. It would have ended the hopes of some SEAL candidates.
    Instead, Keating soldiered ahead even though he could barely eat. One of his friends described his motto as, If it’s worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.

“We seem to always lose our best,” one SEAL lieutenant, who wasn’t named, said from the podium.
    “I don’t say that simply because sometimes our teammates are deified in their passing. Maybe that’s true, but if you look at the long list of brothers we’ve lost in the last few years, we all know the best of us are taken too early. I say this about Chuck Keating.”
    Last edited by Elwood P.; 05.14.16 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Screwed up link and pic
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

2. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

10.23.16 @ 04:16 PM
    Liked 853 Times in 527 Posts

Premium Member

Thank you for your service
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

4. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

10.24.16 @ 08:21 PM
    Liked 244 Times in 142 Posts

Premium Member

Rest in peace you bad ass! Out.

You're a dick for putting ian on "ignore" DIF

"You stupid fuck!" Seen

6. The Following Member Likes This Post: