Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 11:21 PM
    Liked 3,107 Times in 1,819 Posts

Premium Member

Default Harvard: Students who join frats will be punished due to 'privilege' (and politics)

Later in the article, it is explained that this is a response to the findings of Harvard's Task Force for the Prevention of Sexual Assault, though the Crimson itself has reported that the vast majority of rapes at Harvard happen in its dorms.

As Reason's Robby Soave points out, "Reading between the lines, it seems like 'reducing sexual assault' is actually just an excuse for Harvard to take action against groups it doesn't like—for reasons that are implicitly political." All you have to do is look at the reason given below: single-gender organizations are not progressive enough (or 'untenable in the 21st century').

Obviously Harvard is private, but so are these clubs--and unofficial, to boot. But the question is, are these liberal values, as Harvard likes to say they espouse? I argue that they are. At Harvard, if you want to freely associate, you will be punished if it isn't done in the way the college thinks you should. That's about right.

From The Harvard Crimson:

Harvard to Sanction Final Clubs, Greek Organizations
    Starting with Class of 2021, members of clubs, Greek organizations will be ineligible for multiple leadership positions and fellowships
    By C. RAMSEY FAHS, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

Starting with Harvard’s Class of 2021, undergraduate members of unrecognized single-gender social organizations will be banned from holding athletic team captaincies and leadership positions in all recognized student groups. They will also be ineligible for College endorsement for top fellowships like the Rhodes and Marshall scholarships.

Ending months of speculation, University President Drew G. Faust announced the sweeping changes in an email to undergraduates Friday morning. Accepting Dean of the College Rakesh Khurana’s recommendations—his first public proposals to regulate unrecognized single gender organizations—Faust framed the new policy as a matter of necessity.

“Although the fraternities, sororities, and final clubs are not formally recognized by the College, they play an unmistakable and growing role in student life, in many cases enacting forms of privilege and exclusion at odds with our deepest values,” Faust wrote. “The College cannot ignore these organizations if it is to advance our shared commitment to broadening opportunity and making Harvard a campus for all of its students.”

. . .

“[T]he discriminatory membership policies of these organizations have led to the perpetuation of spaces that are rife with power imbalances,” Khurana wrote. “The most entrenched of these spaces send an unambiguous message that they are the exclusive preserves of men. In their recruitment practices and through their extensive resources and access to networks of power, these organizations propagate exclusionary values that undermine those of the larger Harvard College community.”

Khurana framed his decision as a logical evolution in Harvard’s “long and complex history of grappling with gender discrimination,” referencing Harvard’s integration with Radcliffe College and writing that “[i]n every era, change has come slowly and often with fierce opposition.”

“[The] unrecognized single-gender social organizations have lagged behind in ways that are untenable in the 21st century,” Khurana added.

. . .
    Last edited by lovemachine97(Version 2); 05.06.16 at 03:00 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

All this is, is more power for Universities. I think all of the Governors in the U.S. should take away all of the rights from the Universities and colleges to have any type of policy and procedure forced upon the students to only report sexual harassment, rape etc to the schools authorities. When that policy is taken away, it takes away the "middle man" that usually covers up the allegation in order to maintain prestige and attractiveness of their school. To put more restrictions on students to not partake in fraternities etc. ..it only restricts a small portion of people. ..men who actually are in a frat. As proven, a higher percentage of reported sexual abuse is from dorms.
    They are punishing the very people they have been covering for, for all these years.
    Just go for it!

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:03 AM
    Liked 1,471 Times in 1,002 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    Later in the article, it is explained that this is a response to the findings of Harvard's Task Force for the Prevention of Sexual Assault, though the Crimson itself has reported that the vast majority of rapes at Harvard happen in its dorms.

As Reason's Robby Soave points out, "Reading between the lines, it seems like 'reducing sexual assault' is actually just an excuse for Harvard to take action against groups it doesn't like—for reasons that are implicitly political." All you have to do is look at the reason given below: single-gender organizations are not progressive enough (or 'untenable in the 21st century').

Obviously Harvard is private, but so are these clubs--and unofficial, to boot. But the question is, are these liberal values, as Harvard likes to say they espouse? I argue that they are. At Harvard, if you want to freely associate, you will be punished if it isn't done in the way the college thinks you should. That's about right.

From The Harvard Crimson:
    The more power libtards get, the more stuff like this will happen.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

"McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:51 AM
    Liked 4,787 Times in 2,441 Posts

Premium Member

I remember when going to college was fun. I can imagine everybody just walking around like VH fans after a 2004 show. Just depressed.

Last Online

12.08.17 @ 09:45 AM
    Liked 7,610 Times in 3,989 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    I remember when going to college was fun. I can imagine everybody just walking around like VH fans after a 2004 show. Just depressed.
    STOP INVADING MY SAFE PLACE!

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:47 AM
    Liked 18,068 Times in 8,926 Posts

I think Harvard discriminates against dumb poor people, they should let the Wal Mart food stamp dad into Harvard, just to show us how progressive they are.

Someone has hijacked liberalism, and instead of protecting and empowering the poor and disenfranchised, it has turned into forwarding the mindset of elitist snobs that somehow think that Caitlyn Jenner is a hero.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Last Online

Premium Member

It really is something that is happening on college campuses. There was a NY Times op/ed about it just the other day, A Confession of Liberal Intolerance, by Nicholas Kristof.

The whole thing is worth reading, but basically universities don't want conservative instructors or professors.

A Confession of Liberal Intolerance
    Nicholas Kristof MAY 7, 2016

WE progressives believe in diversity, and we want women, blacks, Latinos, gays and Muslims at the table — er, so long as they aren’t conservatives.

Universities are the bedrock of progressive values, but the one kind of diversity that universities disregard is ideological and religious. We’re fine with people who don’t look like us, as long as they think like us.

O.K., that’s a little harsh. But consider George Yancey, a sociologist who is black and evangelical.

“Outside of academia I faced more problems as a black,” he told me. “But inside academia I face more problems as a Christian, and it is not even close.”

I’ve been thinking about this because on Facebook recently I wondered aloud whether universities stigmatize conservatives and undermine intellectual diversity. The scornful reaction from my fellow liberals proved the point.

“Much of the ‘conservative’ worldview consists of ideas that are known empirically to be false,” said Carmi.

“The truth has a liberal slant,” wrote Michelle.

“Why stop there?” asked Steven. “How about we make faculties more diverse by hiring idiots?”

. . .

The stakes involve not just fairness to conservatives or evangelical Christians, not just whether progressives will be true to their own values, not just the benefits that come from diversity (and diversity of thought is arguably among the most important kinds), but also the quality of education itself. When perspectives are unrepresented in discussions, when some kinds of thinkers aren’t at the table, classrooms become echo chambers rather than sounding boards — and we all lose.

Four studies found that the proportion of professors in the humanities who are Republicans ranges between 6 and 11 percent, and in the social sciences between 7 and 9 percent.

Conservatives can be spotted in the sciences and in economics, but they are virtually an endangered species in fields like anthropology, sociology, history and literature. One study found that only 2 percent of English professors are Republicans (although a large share are independents).

In contrast, some 18 percent of social scientists say they are Marxist. So it’s easier to find a Marxist in some disciplines than a Republican.

The scarcity of conservatives seems driven in part by discrimination. One peer-reviewed study found that one-third of social psychologists admitted that if choosing between two equally qualified job candidates, they would be inclined to discriminate against the more conservative candidate.

Yancey, the black sociologist, who now teaches at the University of North Texas, conducted a survey in which up to 30 percent of academics said that they would be less likely to support a job seeker if they knew that the person was a Republican.

The discrimination becomes worse if the applicant is an evangelical Christian. According to Yancey’s study, 59 percent of anthropologists and 53 percent of English professors would be less likely to hire someone they found out was an evangelical.

. . .

A study published in The American Journal of Political Science underscored how powerful political bias can be. In an experiment, Democrats and Republicans were asked to choose a scholarship winner from among (fictitious) finalists, with the experiment tweaked so that applicants sometimes included the president of the Democratic or Republican club, while varying the credentials and race of each. Four-fifths of Democrats and Republicans alike chose a student of their own party to win a scholarship, and discrimination against people of the other party was much greater than discrimination based on race.

. . .

“Universities are unlike other institutions in that they absolutely require that people challenge each other so that the truth can emerge from limited, biased, flawed individuals,” he says. “If they lose intellectual diversity, or if they develop norms of ‘safety’ that trump challenge, they die. And this is what has been happening since the 1990s.”

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.14.17 @ 06:38 PM
    Liked 753 Times in 498 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
    The more power libtards get, the more stuff like this will happen.
    There we go again. Showing off our intelligence through our linguistic skills.

"Libtard", "Rothtard"...

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1,139 Times in 649 Posts

There will be a backlash to this ridiculous pussification of the United States movement. I find the far left presumption that America will just blindly follow their assinine narrative and turn into the western version of Europe laughable.....you have another thing coming.

Last Online

Premium Member

So the University of Oregon, like many universities, has a bias response team that is made up of administrators that react to accusations from staff or students who feel threatened, harassed, intimidated, triggered, microaggressed, offended, ignored, under-valued, or objectified because of their race, gender, gender identity, sexuality, disability status, mental health, religion, political affiliation, or size.

Robby Soave of Reason looked through the case summaries released by Oregon. I keep thinking college campus stories can't get worse. Then they do.

A staff member reported that a poster featured a triggering image.
    Bias Type: Body Size
    Response: Reported for information only. A BRT Advocate offered support to the reporter.

The poster wasn't censored, but the team was there to care for and support the victim for seeing the poster.

A student reported a culturally appropriative themed party.
    Bias Type: Ethnicity, Race
    Response: A BRT Advocate reached out to the reporter. A BRT Case Manager met with the president of the student program to discuss the incident.

A faculty member reported that a student group included a derogatory slur in a Facebook event description.
    Bias Type: Ethnicity, Race
    Response: A BRT Advocate spoke with the reporter, and a BRT Case Manager held an educational conversation with the president and the advisor of the group.

Now, the Bias Response Team can't punish, per se, but if you're a 19-yr old student and a group of administrators come to talk to you for a word you wrote on Facebook or a party you threw, wouldn't you think twice about doing it again?

A staff member reported that residents made inappropriate gender-based comments.
    Bias Type: Gender
    Response: A BRT Case Manager referred the case to Sexual Violence Support Services.

A staff member reported that another staff member made a culturally incompetent remark while facilitating a training.
    Bias Type: Ability, Gender Identity/Expression
    Response: A BRT Case Manager referred the case to the Dean of Students.

An anonymous student reported that a professor made a joke about sexual assault.
    Bias Type: Gender
    Response: A BRT Case Manager referred the case to the Office of Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity.

Think about it for a second. Jokes and remarks lacking sensitivity were referred to the Dean and/or official, serious offices.

Are there situations where the Bias Response Team of administrators take action? Of course.

A student reported that a sign encouraging cleaning up after oneself was sexist.
    Bias Type:Gender
    Response: A BRT Advocate met with the reporter and empowered them to contact Housing staff. A BRT Case Manager followed up to ensure that the sign was removed, and the program staff had an educational conversation about the issue.

I guess free speech rights on college campuses are trumped by another students right not to feel a victim to the violence of words.

An anonymous student reported that a newspaper gave less press coverage to trans students and students of color.
    Bias Type: Ethnicity, Race, Political Affi liation
    Response: A BRT Case Manager held an educational conversation with the newspaper reporter and editor.

Not even the school newspaper is free to report on what they want. If someone feels victimized by them, administrators take over.

Last Online

Premium Member

There is that thing again about feelings mattering while facts do not.

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Last Online

Premium Member

Here is something else:

Report: Liberal Speakers Will Outnumber Conservative Speakers 4-to-1 at 2016 Graduation Ceremonies

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2016...on-ceremonies/

'Shady persons of color': College protesters apply scornful tag to dissenting minorities

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/05/10...inorities.html

Last Online

Premium Member

Fraternity students at Millikin were told that they could no longer paint their faces in fraternity colors. Why? Face painting is a cultural appropriation.

http://campusreform.org/?ID=7575

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last Online

Premium Member

Default Harvard: Students who join frats will be punished due to 'privilege' (and politics)

So the LA Times today tweeted a link to a story they did on most college professors being liberal and if universities should change their hiring practices. The responses are what you'd expect. (There's a differing opinion for about every five of these responses, to be fair.)

-"Education delivers us from ignorance."
    -"Good luck finding enough highly educated conservatives to even things out. Note the correlation between education & liberalism."
    -"Educated people are overwhelmingly liberal. Do you want universities to start hiring the uneducated just to be fair? Not a chance."
    -"You've got to be kidding. Academics tend to be liberal *because* we're educated & use empirical evidence in our reasoning."
    -"Great minds in history have overwhelmingly been liberal. We need that balance."
    -"Conservatives have always had a distrust of intellectuals. They rarely have cared for higher education or speculative thought."
    -"Who needs education when all your answers are explained away by a magic man in the clouds?"
    -"intelligent people tend to have liberal views. If universities "change their hiring practices" students would be taught by morons."
    -"the question should be why are the most educated, brightest people in the U.S. Liberal? Maybe they have good reason."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:47 AM
    Liked 18,068 Times in 8,926 Posts

If they are so intelligent and educated, how come none of them seem to know what's in the Constitution, the foundation from which our governmental and judicial systems are built?

Just curious.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!