Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:57 PM
    Liked 62 Times in 31 Posts

Donor

Default Peavey Wolfgang - Muddy pickups

So in the previous topic I mentioned that I picked up a Peavey Wolfgang after selling my old one about 5 years ago. My tastes must've really changed because I'm finding the pickups to sound a bit too loud & muddy.

Before I take the plunge & replace the pickups, I'm going to do a treble mod/high pass filter. I've noticed that the muddyness is REALLY bad with the volume rolled down (I use my volume knob a lot). Anybody else added one to their Wolfgang?

My main humbucker guitar the past few years has been a Music Man LIII with the DiMarzio Transition humbuckers. They're definitely not as loud as the pickups in the Wolfgang.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.02.17 @ 07:47 AM
    Liked 140 Times in 83 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GoKart Mozart View Post
    So in the previous topic I mentioned that I picked up a Peavey Wolfgang after selling my old one about 5 years ago. My tastes must've really changed because I'm finding the pickups to sound a bit too loud & muddy.

Before I take the plunge & replace the pickups, I'm going to do a treble mod/high pass filter. I've noticed that the muddyness is REALLY bad with the volume rolled down (I use my volume knob a lot). Anybody else added one to their Wolfgang?

My main humbucker guitar the past few years has been a Music Man LIII with the DiMarzio Transition humbuckers. They're definitely not as loud as the pickups in the Wolfgang.

American peavey pups are my holy grail.

1 - What kinda amp are you using?
    2 - Roll the volume all the way down and then turn it up to find the sweet cleans. (mine is just past 1 but not at 2)
    3 - Relax on your pick attack - pv pups are very responsive in terms of piano & forte dynamics

Last Online

12.16.17 @ 04:02 PM
    Liked 124 Times in 84 Posts

I've got a US Special, just the volume, no tone. I certainly don't have muddiness issues. Heck, I call this guitar my hot Tele with a Floyd (I have two Teles with 3-saddle ashtray bridges to compare to).

I see your new one is a US Standard with the tone. Was your old one a Special by chance?

Eruption
    Last Online

06.30.17 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

the stock peaveys are great. either they were replaced or you should be good

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by joezlo View Post
    American peavey pups are my holy grail.

1 - What kinda amp are you using?
    2 - Roll the volume all the way down and then turn it up to find the sweet cleans. (mine is just past 1 but not at 2)
    3 - Relax on your pick attack - pv pups are very responsive in terms of piano & forte dynamics
    1) Mostly a Fender Deluxe Reverb reissue with pedals for dirt. I also occasionally play through a Peavey VTM60 (basically a JCM800 clone).
    2) It cleans up some when the volume is around 2, but "sweet" is not the word I would use to describe it!
    3) That's the thing...having to back off on the picking dynamics makes the WG pickups one-dimensional, in my opinion. With the DiMarzio Transitions and even an old PAF Pro that I've got in a Squier Strat, I can clean them up using the volume yet they still respond well when you dig into the strings. There's almost a single coil like quality to them.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by GilmourD View Post
    I've got a US Special, just the volume, no tone. I certainly don't have muddiness issues. Heck, I call this guitar my hot Tele with a Floyd (I have two Teles with 3-saddle ashtray bridges to compare to).

I see your new one is a US Standard with the tone. Was your old one a Special by chance?
    Funny you mention that. I actually had all three US variations: a US Standard, a US Special, and a US Special flame top. I had the Standard one first, then I got the regular Special. I could tell a difference in the way the Special sounded immediately! It seemed to have more "bite" than the Standard (similar to what you're describing with the Tele comparison). I thought it had something to do with the way the Standard's tone control was wired in the circuit, so I completely unsoldered it but that didn't really affect the tone.

For what it's worth, I always thought the Special Flame Top was the best of the 3 that I had in terms of playability/sound.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by tommytom11 View Post
    the stock peaveys are great. either they were replaced or you should be good
    They're definitely the stock ones. Don't get me wrong, they sound great playing high gain, EVH riffs, etc. but other than that, I find them to be a little one-dimensional. Different strokes...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:09 PM
    Liked 801 Times in 436 Posts

Premium Member

I have a US Peavey Wolfgang Special with stock pickups. I absolutely LOVE the bridge pickup. But it will NOT clean up. Even through clean amps, it has a slight crunch unless you play very softly. For smooth, clean tones, I always switch to the neck pickup. I actually DO find that pickup somewhat muddy. But it still sounds good. For background playing or all-clean songs, I add some compression and chorus and it sounds very dreamy.

TK

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:34 PM
    Liked 6,982 Times in 5,015 Posts

Premium Member

It's funny, because the Wolf Special EXP I own sounds really good to my ears.
    The pickups "do what they're supposed to" when running full tilt, and also clean up nicely when rolling off the volume. No problems doing the HAIL intro, for example, and finger plucked chords have just the right amount of grit to them.

Not Roland Jazz Chorus clean, yet that's not what the pickups were designed for. IMO.
    I do find that there's enough of a healthy balance for my playing and tastes.
    Last edited by RRvh1; 05.03.16 at 06:50 AM.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

10. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

Funny you mention that. I actually had all three US variations: a US Standard, a US Special, and a US Special flame top. I had the Standard one first, then I got the regular Special. I could tell a difference in the way the Special sounded immediately! It seemed to have more "bite" than the Standard (similar to what you're describing with the Tele comparison). I thought it had something to do with the way the Standard's tone control was wired in the circuit, so I completely unsoldered it but that didn't really affect the tone.

For what it's worth, I always thought the Special Flame Top was the best of the 3 that I had in terms of playability/sound.
    Yeah, the tone control changes the load on the circuit. It basically makes it as if you have a 250K volume instead of a 500K volume, thus darkening the sound.

Does your current Wolfie still have the tone wired in?

Oh, can you take a pic of your pickups from the side? I'm wondering if the previous owner screwed around with the screw pole heights.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by GilmourD View Post
    Yeah, the tone control changes the load on the circuit. It basically makes it as if you have a 250K volume instead of a 500K volume, thus darkening the sound.

Does your current Wolfie still have the tone wired in?

Oh, can you take a pic of your pickups from the side? I'm wondering if the previous owner screwed around with the screw pole heights.
    Yes, the current one has the tone wired in. Like I mentioned, it didn't seem to make a big difference when I unwired it from the other one, so who knows.

The previous owner had a thorough setup done on it right before I bought it. Looks like whoever did the work set the polepieces to match the neck radius. I measured & all of them are about 3/32 from the string (when fretting the string at the 22nd fret). Technically, the factory spec is 1/8" on the neck though.

Neck:

Bridge:

Another shot of the neck:

BTW, here's the factory specs taken from an old Peavey Monitor magazine:

Last Online

Yes, the current one has the tone wired in. Like I mentioned, it didn't seem to make a big difference when I unwired it from the other one, so who knows.

The previous owner had a thorough setup done on it right before I bought it. Looks like whoever did the work set the polepieces to match the neck radius. I measured & all of them are about 3/32 from the string (when fretting the string at the 22nd fret). Technically, the factory spec is 1/8" on the neck though.

Neck:
    [IMG]http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt171/jpcody01/forums/Floyd%20Arm/pups_01.jpg[/IMG

Bridge:
    [IMG]http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt171/jpcody01/forums/Floyd%20Arm/pups_02.jpg[/IMG

Another shot of the neck:
    [IMG]http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt171/jpcody01/forums/Floyd%20Arm/pups_03.jpg[/IMG

BTW, here's the factory specs taken from an old Peavey Monitor magazine:

I'd start with adjusting the pole pieces. When you start getting too close to the strings things start to get muddy.

For reference:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

^^^ Great photos, and thanks for the optimal setup specs from that Peavey Monitor magazine!
    Just curious - for any of the guitar gurus here - are those specs the same for the EBMM/AXIS/AX40 guitars?
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Donor

Default Peavey Wolfgang - Muddy pickups

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    ^^^ Great photos, and thanks for the optimal setup specs from that Peavey Monitor magazine!
    Just curious - for any of the guitar gurus here - are those specs the same for the EBMM/AXIS/AX40 guitars?

Not sure about Music Man's relief spec but their action spec is 4/64 (or 1/16) measured at the 12th fret for all strings.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Not sure about Music Man's relief spec but their action spec is 4/64 (or 1/16) measured at the 12th fret for all strings.

Thank you! That's actually what I was interested in knowing.