Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Last Online

05.12.16 @ 06:06 AM
    Liked 468 Times in 372 Posts

Default Governor Signs Bill Allowing Therapists To Refuse Service To LGBT Individuals

Jesus Christ. It's 2016 for fuck sake America.

Tennessee's Republican governor Bill Haslam today signed House Bill 1840 into law, which allows licensed counselors to turn away LGBT people suffering from mental health issues.

Even though Haslam vetoed a North Carolina-style "bathroom bill" earlier this month, he could not be persuaded to veto HB 1840. The legislation has been roundly condemned by health care groups and celebrities, including the American Counseling Association, GLAAD, and pansexual pop star Miley Cyrus.

“Denying anyone vital mental health services simply because they’re LGBT isn’t just outrageous, it’s outright dangerous,” GLAAD President and CEO Sarah Kate Ellis said in a statement. “What’s clear, however, is that legislative attacks that target LGBT people are bad for business. Sadly, the bedrock of Tennessee’s economy — the record companies of Nashville — remained silent throughout the fight to pass this discriminatory law. It's time that they join the growing chorus of Americans demanding an end to discrimination.”

The legislation is expected make it especially difficult for LGBT people in rural areas of Tennessee to obtain mental health services.

The ACA notes that HB 1840 could jeopardize federal health care funding for Tennessee, since it conflicts with a U.S. Department of Health and Human Services mandate that says states lack the authority to deny health care to patients based on religion, race, sexual orientation, and other protected characteristics.

The American Counseling Association said this bill was nothing but an unwelcome intrusion on the profession.

How about a law protecting LGBT people from all the deranged lawmakers out there? No kidding —these people are certifiable and they’re running half the country (see North Carolina, Mississippi, and Indiana). And no, that law doesn’t exist at the federal level. LGBTQ Americans are subject to the whims of lawmakers like the Bill Haslams, Pat McCrorys, and Phil Bryants of the world. It’s frightening.

http://www.advocate.com/health/2016/...-lgbt-patients

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,107 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Good
    Piss on em
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:10 PM
    Liked 6,711 Times in 3,729 Posts

The bill mandates anyone refusing to treat someone is obligated to refer them to someone who would. That should eliminate the argument that people are being refused health care.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    The bill mandates anyone refusing to treat someone is obligated to refer them to someone who would. That should eliminate the argument that people are being refused health care.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk
    The bill shouldn't exist in this day and age.

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 10,899 Times in 5,738 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Motherload View Post
    The bill shouldn't exist in this day and age.
    Why? What does this day and age have to do with it?

That said, I'm not sure what the purpose of this bill is. Is there a huge number of therapists that refuse to treat gay people? And if you're a therapist, why would you do that? Who gives a shit what the patient's sexual orientation is?

I would think that therapists by nature would want to help people. The article didn't really explain what the purpose of this legislation is.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post
    Why? What does this day and age have to do with it?

That said, I'm not sure what the purpose of this bill is. Is there a huge number of therapists that refuse to treat gay people? And if you're a therapist, why would you do that? Who gives a shit what the patient's sexual orientation is?

I would think that therapists by nature would want to help people. The article didn't really explain what the purpose of this legislation is.
    Um, because we live in a world with gay people and there should no longer be a stigma attached to that. To me - maybe not to you, but to me, it's like saying that therapists don't have to serve black people.

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 10,899 Times in 5,738 Posts

Premium Member

Um, because we live in a world with gay people and there should no longer be a stigma attached to that. To me - maybe not to you, but to me, it's like saying that therapists don't have to serve black people.
    Why should they have to serve black people? Because you say so?

We're going to get right back to where we always end up in these discussions. I believe that people should be free to choose their own behavior even if I find that behavior to be personally offensive. In this example, I think that a therapist ought to be able to tell anyone they want that they won't treat them without being forced to do so by some outside entity (most likely government).

We both believe that people shouldn't behave that way, however, you want to force them not to, and I don't. That's the only real difference between us when it comes to this type of situation.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post
    Why should they have to serve black people? Because you say so?

We're going to get right back to where we always end up in these discussions. I believe that people should be free to choose their own behavior even if I find that behavior to be personally offensive. In this example, I think that a therapist ought to be able to tell anyone they want that they won't treat them without being forced to do so by some outside entity (most likely government).

We both believe that people shouldn't behave that way, however, you want to force them not to, and I don't. That's the only real difference between us when it comes to this type of situation.
    So while you may not agree with this stance, you support the right for a restaurant to have a sign like this?

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

10.06.17 @ 08:45 PM
    Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts

Yes. In this day and age, how long do you think a restaurant could thrive posting that kind of shit on the front door? It would be lucky to not be burned down. Also there was a time when the government sanctioned such a thing. In regards to the original post, do you really think it's a good idea to have the government force a homophobic therapist to provide treatment to a homosexual? How is that going to work? You can't legislate morality in people and in a profession like that I would think it would be best for both parties to stay their separate ways.

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    Yes. In this day and age, how long do you think a restaurant could thrive posting that kind of shit on the front door? It would be lucky to not be burned down. Also there was a time when the government sanctioned such a thing. In regards to the original post, do you really think it's a good idea to have the government force a homophobic therapist to provide treatment to a homosexual? How is that going to work? You can't legislate morality in people and in a profession like that I would think it would be best for both parties to stay their separate ways.
    It's probably not a good thing for a therapist to be a bigot and homophobic. Sort of goes against their entire profession.

13. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:26 PM
    Liked 3,119 Times in 1,829 Posts

Premium Member

So while you may not agree with this stance, you support the right for a restaurant to have a sign like this?

Haven't had a chance to read about this new TN law, but I will try tomorrow and have a coherent argument.

Either way, I agree that business owners have a right to decide who does and does not enter their property (just like, you know, the rest of us) and whom and whom they do not enter into a contract with. That is what the Constitution says. We have gone away from those principles, and even people who believe in those principles believe in this particular exception to them.

What gets lost in this argument is the apparent belief that these signs would become common place. It might be put in some stores, but I can't even fathom in 2016 that this would even be a problem. Not that racism isn't a problem, but that these signs would be. What stores could possibly think it would be a good idea? Stores that want to fail, I think.

I have been seeing constant ads for W. Kamau Bell's new CNN show. The idea that a Black man could take a camera crew and interview the Klan and watch a cross burning is insane to me. Like, how did he survive? Well, the Klan now is different than the Klan then. They aren't lynching Blacks. They may be White supremacists, and they may encourage violence, but it isn't what it was.

But let's say just one sign goes up. Does that business thrive or get shamed into submission. I think the latter.

15. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    Haven't had a chance to read about this new TN law, but I will try tomorrow and have a coherent argument.

Either way, I agree that business owners have a right to decide who does and does not enter their property (just like, you know, the rest of us) and whom and whom they do not enter into a contract with. That is what the Constitution says. We have gone away from those principles, and even people who believe in those principles believe in this particular exception to them.

What gets lost in this argument is the apparent belief that these signs would become common place. It might be put in some stores, but I can't even fathom in 2016 that this would even be a problem. Not that racism isn't a problem, but that these signs would be. What stores could possibly think it would be a good idea? Stores that want to fail, I think.

I have been seeing constant ads for W. Kamau Bell's new CNN show. The idea that a Black man could take a camera crew and interview the Klan and watch a cross burning is insane to me. Like, how did he survive? Well, the Klan now is different than the Klan then. They aren't lynching Blacks. They may be White supremacists, and they may encourage violence, but it isn't what it was.

But let's say just one sign goes up. Does that business thrive or get shamed into submission. I think the latter.
    It's an insult to black people and it shows that America hasn't learned a fucking thing when stuff like this was perfectly acceptable:

Even if their business gets burned to the ground, I will never understand how you could support a company in 2016 - having signs like these. It SHOULD disgust you as much as it disgusts me. Is this not an exception to your libertarian view?

No Shirt No Shoes No Service - they can put that sign up.
    Last edited by Motherload; 04.28.16 at 12:29 AM.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

It's probably not a good thing for a therapist to be a bigot and homophobic. Sort of goes against their entire profession.
    Probably. But it isn't very difficult to achieve the title of 'therapist' and the qualifications don't require not being homophobic.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

It's an insult to black people and it shows that America hasn't learned a fucking thing when stuff like this was perfectly acceptable:

Even if their business gets burned to the ground, I will never understand how you could support a company in 2016 - having signs like these. It SHOULD disgust you as much as it disgusts me. Is this not an exception to your libertarian view?

No Shirt No Shoes No Service - they can put that sign up.
    There's a difference between defending a business's right to have that sign and actually supporting that same business. It is disgusting and I wouldn't enter those establishments. Most people wouldn't.

19. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

Well assuming we don't want to endorse racism - why do they have a right to have that sign?