Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

05.12.16 @ 06:06 AM
    Liked 468 Times in 372 Posts

Default Why Libertarians Are More Divided Than Usual

Here's a Canadian perspective about Libertarians and Trump. I am curious to hear what the Libertarians here think.

http://www.therebel.media/why_libert...hanks_to_trump

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.14.17 @ 06:38 PM
    Liked 753 Times in 498 Posts

Your source is the Rebel? That asshole has no Canadian values whatsoever...

Do you know anything about "reliable sources"?

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:13 PM
    Liked 650 Times in 369 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cdnangel View Post

No shit.
    Cabo x 20
    Van Halen x 11
    Sammy x 20+
    DLR x 2

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:25 AM
    Liked 866 Times in 508 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

What the hell is The Rebel?

That editorial said a whole lot of nothing. Anyone who cares what Alex Jones thinks loses all credibility.

6. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:00 AM
    Liked 6,709 Times in 3,728 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by UncleCrappy View Post
    What the hell is The Rebel?

That editorial said a whole lot of nothing. Anyone who cares what Alex Jones thinks loses all credibility.
    Imagine a super cheap version of the blaze but with no money, no supporters and no chance of that ever changing.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

8. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

Jeez...relax.

Of course The Rebel is a joke. I just wanted to get Lovemachine's (and others) take on Libertarians from a hard core right Canadian perspective.

Although I am surprised you don't like The Rebel a little bit, sine they are all about Alberta and fighting for the oil industry that apparently Rachel Notley has destroyed. Notley is The Devil and The Rebel is full of people from Alberta that worship Ezra Levant.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Motherload View Post
    Jeez...relax.

Of course The Rebel is a joke. I just wanted to get Lovemachine's (and others) take on Libertarians from a hard core right Canadian perspective.

Although I am surprised you don't like The Rebel a little bit, sine they are all about Alberta and fighting for the oil industry that apparently Rachel Notley has destroyed. Notley is The Devil and The Rebel is full of people from Alberta that worship Ezra Levant.
    Just because I'm from Alberta doesn't mean I'm like them. I despise the oil industry. My grandfather was an Alberta oil pioneer who put his oil and natural gas claims above his family.

The Albertans I associate with all voted for Notley. You really are a fan of sweeping generalizations, aren't you?

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    Imagine a super cheap version of the blaze but with no money, no supporters and no chance of that ever changing.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk
    Actually the sad thing is that they do have supporters - the extreme right in Canada, which is mostly people from the west. The Rebel is funded completely by donations from their readers/subscribers and there appears to be a lot of Canadians that hate liberals and what they call the liberal media of The Star, CBC and others that only report LIES!

Last Online

Just because I'm from Alberta doesn't mean I'm like them. I despise the oil industry. My grandfather was an Alberta oil pioneer who put his oil and natural gas claims above his family.

The Albertans I associate with all voted for Notley. You really are a fan of sweeping generalizations, aren't you?
    No, I am taking into account that oil and farming are your biggest industries and people have been losing jobs like crazy due to Notley and other factors according to MANY Albertans that I have talked to. I suspect come the next election, Notley will be kicked to the curb and Albertans can't wait for that glorious day - huge regret in voting NDP.

Hell there has already been a book written about the destruction of Alberta, but if you are happy with her and the way Alberta is going - then cool. It's just not at all been the response that I have heard from many Albertans.

Last edited by Motherload; 04.20.16 at 10:47 AM.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 07:25 AM
    Liked 3,117 Times in 1,828 Posts

Premium Member

I just talked to a writer at Reason about this yesterday, sort of. I asked him about whether or not the Libertarian Party is willing to welcome a wide swath of people that would be necessary to be a real competitor against Republicans and Democrats. To that, I mean a diverse enough group that Rand Paul would be a moderate in the party. Gary Johnson, for example, is in favor of anti-discrimination law, which is counter to a basic libertarian tenet. However, it is essential for a viable presidential candidate. So how open is the party? I am not in it. The writer isn't in the party either, but he since he is closer to it, he told me that, "The Libertarian Party itself really is a herd of cats. It's like every stereotype everybody has about libertarians all combined and baked in a pie." Apparently another writer at Reason is working on a large story about the party, its viability, the election, etc.

What I am getting at is that in a world where Bill Maher and Glen Beck call themselves both libertarians, having two libertarians I don't know anything about tell me they are supporting Trump makes me wonder if they really aren't libertarians, per se, but are sort of fiscally conservative and socially liberal and since neither party fits those needs, call themselves libertarian.

This is one reason I won't be a member of a political party is that I have a set of ideas and I know that the bigger and more powerful a party gets, the party starts to become more important than the ideas (see: the current duopoly). If those who call themselves libertarians want to vote for Trump, that is fine. I guess it comes down to how many things you believe in that you want to sacrifice for a "win."

Good Enough
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Motherload View Post
    No, I am taking into account that oil and farming are your biggest industries and people have been losing jobs like crazy due to Notley and other factors according to MANY Albertans that I have talked to. I suspect come the next election, Notley will be kicked to the curb and Albertans can't wait for that glorious day - huge regret in voting NDP.

Hell there has already been a book written about the destruction of Alberta, but if you are happy with her and the way Alberta is going - then cool. It's just not at all been the response that I have heard from many Albertans.

The only Albertans I care about are my friends...who are all extremely liberal like me, (yes, we're a minority here), and First Nations located in AB.

The majority of Albertans are stupid hicks stuck in the bible belt. And as for Sheila Gunn Reid...that useless piece of shit. She's worse than Sarah Palin! She self-describes as an "oil patch trophy wife", but she's no trophy...

I got into a major twitter battle with her a few years ago. She brought out the worst in me. I kicked her ass "Army" style. Those who know me from there can attest to just how bad my nasty side is.

End story...I grew up in Alberta, I have lived there (lived in all 3 Western provinces). I know the majority of Albertans are extremely right wing, but I am living proof that NOT ALL ARE!

Last Online

The only Albertans I care about are my friends...who are all extremely liberal like me, (yes, we're a minority here), and First Nations located in AB.

The majority of Albertans are stupid hicks stuck in the bible belt. And as for Sheila Gunn Reid...that useless piece of shit. She's worse than Sarah Palin! She self-describes as an "oil patch trophy wife", but she's no trophy...

I got into a major twitter battle with her a few years ago. She brought out the worst in me. I kicked her ass "Army" style. Those who know me from there can attest to just how bad my nasty side is.

End story...I grew up in Alberta, I have lived there (lived in all 3 Western provinces). I know the majority of Albertans are extremely right wing, but I am living proof that NOT ALL ARE!
    Glad to hear it - so you would vote for her again?

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    I just talked to a writer at Reason about this yesterday, sort of. I asked him about whether or not the Libertarian Party is willing to welcome a wide swath of people that would be necessary to be a real competitor against Republicans and Democrats. To that, I mean a diverse enough group that Rand Paul would be a moderate in the party. Gary Johnson, for example, is in favor of anti-discrimination law, which is counter to a basic libertarian tenet. However, it is essential for a viable presidential candidate. So how open is the party? I am not in it. The writer isn't in the party either, but he since he is closer to it, he told me that, "The Libertarian Party itself really is a herd of cats. It's like every stereotype everybody has about libertarians all combined and baked in a pie." Apparently another writer at Reason is working on a large story about the party, its viability, the election, etc.

What I am getting at is that in a world where Bill Maher and Glen Beck call themselves both libertarians, having two libertarians I don't know anything about tell me they are supporting Trump makes me wonder if they really aren't libertarians, per se, but are sort of fiscally conservative and socially liberal and since neither party fits those needs, call themselves libertarian.

This is one reason I won't be a member of a political party is that I have a set of ideas and I know that the bigger and more powerful a party gets, the party starts to become more important than the ideas (see: the current duopoly). If those who call themselves libertarians want to vote for Trump, that is fine. I guess it comes down to how many things you believe in that you want to sacrifice for a "win."
    If I recall correctly - I think you mentioned once that there are libertarians who are more hard core than you are. I guess just like Democrats and And Republicans, Liberals and Conservatives - you are going to have your center Libertarians, left Libertarians, right Libertarians, extreme Libertarians and everything in between. There isn't just ONE requirement to be a Libertarian, so Maher and Beck can rightly call themselves Libertarians under the terms that there are various degrees of Libertarian.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 07:25 AM
    Liked 3,117 Times in 1,828 Posts

Premium Member

You can call yourself anything, and if the party wants to be successful, it will need to open itself up to more broad views. However, I don't know that any party could be broad enough so that Maher and Beck call it home. Maybe I am wrong. Guessing neither is a member of the party now, though.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    You can call yourself anything, and if the party wants to be successful, it will need to open itself up to more broad views. However, I don't know that any party could be broad enough so that Maher and Beck call it home. Maybe I am wrong. Guessing neither is a member of the party now, though.
    From what I have seen with Maher, it looks like he would vote for Sanders. Which per the article I linked - there is libertarian support for Sanders or at least a version of libertarian