All of em
    Favorite VH Song

All of em
    Last Online

10.04.17 @ 06:34 AM
    Liked 58 Times in 37 Posts

Premium Member

For us die-hards, this podcast is a real treat. nice work fellas
    WHOAOH! Hey you! Who said that? Baby how you been?

2. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

All of em
    Favorite VH Song

All of em
    Last Online

10.04.17 @ 06:34 AM
    Liked 58 Times in 37 Posts

Premium Member

After listening to the Mitch Malloy podcast (wow, by the way), I'm going to assume that the natural progression of this story would have to involve D and D interviewing Gary soon, if not next.
    WHOAOH! Hey you! Who said that? Baby how you been?

4. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

5150/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Blood and Fire
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:32 PM
    Liked 789 Times in 475 Posts

Awesome, awesome interview. Definitely learned new things about M-squared. They talked at length circa '00-'01 during the second and third failed Diamond Dave reunions? On a side note, regarding one thing he said--to be fair--Eddie did say he hated Gary's demo tape while he was in the band, and then loved his singing when he heard him in the studio.

Mitch is without question very talented and a great guy (yes, very Mike/Gary-like) and I really like ITRT a lot, but his voice isn't different enough, he didn't let the music breathe enough (great point someone else said last year), and most of all, he doesn't have enough 'tude to be VH's frontman. You should be the biggest egomaniac(s) in the world, and be THAT cool to back it up. Like Dave and Sammy. Gary had the attitude on stage at least, for the record.

And that upcoming Noel Monk book might be the best tell-all outside of Mike releasing a book. Holy shit am I looking forward to that. And I'm sure I can speak for all you when I say that!
    Last edited by DFVH5150; 08.16.16 at 08:27 PM.
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Stats:
    BECAME FAN/PSYCHO: 12/91
    VAN HALEN WITH DAVE: 9x
    VAN HALEN WITH SAMMY: 8x
    VAN HALEN WITH GARY: 5x
    CHICKENFOOT/THE CIRCLE: 6x
    DAVE SOLO: 13x
    SAMMY SOLO: 15x (including MIKE/MONTROSE)
    GARY/EXTREME/TRIBE OF JUDAH/HURTSMILE: 7x
    CABO WABO CANTINA: 1x
    MET: Sammy 1x, Dave almost 1x, Gary 2x

6. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:55 PM
    Liked 72 Times in 34 Posts

Premium Member

Talking VH at the '96 VMA's & Tribute Bands part 1

VAN HALEN’S VMA D-Day

Twenty years ago Van Halen reunited with David Lee Roth at the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards after being apart for 12 years. But the reunion was short-lived as the band’s temporary bonding moment imploded after 5 minutes on stage and some uncomfortable exchanges in the Press Room. In episode 6, “Dave & Dave Unchained – A Van Halen Podcast” dissects this catastrophic moment in VH history and the fallout that followed.

As Doc Brown would say to Marty McFly, this is the incident that “disrupted the space-time continuum” in the world of Van Halen. Sammy Hagar’s out, Roth’s back in, Roth’s out (but was never really back in) and here’s comes…Gary Cherone? Surely, it was a confusing time for Halen fans.

EXTRA! EXTRA! – This month the Dave’s are going DOUBLE – offering listeners two episodes. This two-parter will be focused on Van Halen tribute bands. Part 1 showcases guitarist Derek Fuller who plays the Eddie Van Halen role in Fan Halen. Fuller talks about how he approaches playing EVH, his deep passion for the band that dates back to the late ‘70s, & playing with original Van Halen bassist Mark Stone in this extended episode. Look out for Part 2 dropping in a few weeks where the Dave’s deliver a whole brand new episode packed with Van Halen goodness. So sit down Waldo, crack a cold one and enjoy the madness!

Download or play episodes on:
    iTunes – https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...n/id1102231619
    Spreaker.com – http://www.spreaker.com/show/dave-da...-halen-podcast

Connect with the Dave’s!
    Twitter: @ddunchained
    Facebook: Dave-Dave Unchained
    Instagram: ddunchainedpodcast
    email: ddunchainedpodcast@gmail.com

Enjoy,
    Dave

8. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:04 AM
    Liked 2,801 Times in 1,450 Posts

Great show! You pretty much asked the same questions of Derek Fuller that I would ask.

I agree with Derek that Eddie is much respected. I would even say his profile has been steadily rising in the past few years. The Smithsonian thing being one example of that.

As for the band itself, I think that just boils down to Baby Boomers and those who market to them. They are a massive audience....who buy things. If you publish a magazine, you will make more money talking about the 60s musicians than 80s musicians. ...Although that may start to change as the Baby Boomers start to die off. And critics....they love 60s music because politics got involved with rock music at that point and the original positive and "up" vibe of the 50s got pushed aside. People that gravitate toward a career as a critic tend to be the hipster douchebags who think they are smarter than everyone else and who look down on anything that is popular or upbeat. Critics hated the 80s because it was fun. Fun = bad to most critics so of course they aren't going to praise any act from that era. ...or in Van Halen's case, THE band that was responsible for the way the entire era sounded.

One could make the case that not being respected by people like that is a huge compliment. Who would really want them to be on the same side?

edit: Oh...loved the point about how Led Zep fans get a wealth of extra goodies with remasters and such while VH couldn't even get the right version of Running with the Devil on their greatest hits album. lol...

10. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Oh man...I hope you guys can get Terry Kilgore as mentioned. Loved his insights in Van Halen Rising.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

they totally nail the whole Mtv fiasco! love their enthusiasm.

podcast production--->need to figure out how to make it not sound like both guys are talking on their phones
    Eat Us and Smile!

13. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Eruption
    Favorite VH Song

Secrets
    Last Online

11.01.17 @ 03:25 PM
    Liked 607 Times in 299 Posts

another good one. Derek from Fan Halen was far more an entertaining interview than I had expected.

One thing about the videos that were supposed to be made for BOV1 -- if you remember the article about VH in Entertainment Weekly after the MTV fiasco someone at the record company said it was actually Dave who read the treatment for "Me Wise Magic" that had the band playing together and his image relegated to being projected on telephone poles, etc almost like he was haunting the band that made Dave pull out of appearing in them thus scrapping them completely. You guys said it was the brothers. Makes more sense it would be Dave. He wasn't even gonna be on set with the band when they filmed this. If I recall the article quote correctly the record exec said it was like Dave was the kid on playground who "took his football and went home when he didn't like it."

As for MTV. At the time I think people at MTV were excited about the prospect of VH reforming just like we were. I don't think MTV had any agenda. If the reunion had gone through it wouldn't have surprised me if MTV covered the tour religiously. Dave meant a lot to that channel... even though by 1996 I'm sure a lot at MTV thought he was a has-been.

Anyway.... keep up good work Daves. But like others have said ya gotta do something about audio quality. Do you guys record using Skype? I've done interviews with podcasts before using Skype and they ended up sounding a lot better than what you guys are getting however you're recording it.
    A new short film I made, please like/follow:
    http://facebook.com/umbrellashortfilm

15. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

II
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:58 PM
    Liked 128 Times in 52 Posts

Great job guys from one podcaster to another If anyone is interested in bootlegs, demos, rarities in general. Check out my podcast. I have 16 episodes so far and 4 of them are all Van Halen.....it is a disease we can all relate too I'm sure!
    http://TheBootlegBootlegPodcast.podomatic.com

Keep up the good work!

17. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Eruption
    Favorite VH Song

Secrets
    Last Online

11.01.17 @ 03:25 PM
    Liked 607 Times in 299 Posts

A pretty good podcast I listen to called Rock Solid has a recent episode devoted to Dave.

Here's the link. You can download it on iTunes too.

https://art19.com/shows/rock-solid/e...2-945e8ad6d496

They did an all VH episode back in March 2012 and a few months ago Hagar was a guest in the show if ya wanna dig back.

Enjoy.
    A new short film I made, please like/follow:
    http://facebook.com/umbrellashortfilm

19. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Hide Your Sheep View Post
    A pretty good podcast I listen to called Rock Solid has a recent episode devoted to Dave.

Here's the link. You can download it on iTunes too.

https://art19.com/shows/rock-solid/e...2-945e8ad6d496

They did an all VH episode back in March 2012 and a few months ago Hagar was a guest in the show if ya wanna dig back.

Enjoy.
    Nice. They are pretty much in my wheelhouse with VH. Even to the point of enjoying For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge the most from Van Hagar.

I never thought much how it must have been for fans who discovered the band with 1984. And especially a younger fan like 5th grade...and suddenly your new favorite band breaks up. Wow...

I caught an interesting little bit at the end about Dave. He "smokes a certain amount of cigarettes every day" to keep his voice sounding a certain way? That's GOTTA go all the way back to the first album when Ted told Dave to go outside and have a burger and a cigarette to get his voice back.

Also like the idea that ADKOT is almost "a cousin to Fair Warning". I'll go along with that. I also rank it ahead of DD and WACF.

I was struck by how much better I like Dave with VH than as a solo act most of the time. It's like he was born to write melodies to go with Eddie's riffs and struggles with other guitarists. The same thing I feel about Sammy except the opposite. I like Sammy's melodies much more as a solo artist.

They need to read that recent article about the breakup though, the April 1st thing is now disproved.

21. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Harpospoke View Post
    Nice. They are pretty much in my wheelhouse with VH. Even to the point of enjoying For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge the most from Van Hagar.

I never thought much how it must have been for fans who discovered the band with 1984. And especially a younger fan like 5th grade...and suddenly your new favorite band breaks up. Wow...

I caught an interesting little bit at the end about Dave. He "smokes a certain amount of cigarettes every day" to keep his voice sounding a certain way? That's GOTTA go all the way back to the first album when Ted told Dave to go outside and have a burger and a cigarette to get his voice back.

Also like the idea that ADKOT is almost "a cousin to Fair Warning". I'll go along with that. I also rank it ahead of DD and WACF.

I was struck by how much better I like Dave with VH than as a solo act most of the time. It's like he was born to write melodies to go with Eddie's riffs and struggles with other guitarists. The same thing I feel about Sammy except the opposite. I like Sammy's melodies much more as a solo artist.

They need to read that recent article about the breakup though, the April 1st thing is now disproved.
    If Dave, in two-thousand fucking sixteen, thinks his voice is better by smoking cigarettes because Ted told him to go outside for a smoke almost 4 decades ago, he deserves to go back to playing Vegas.

But I don't think this the case. I think this is a bit of specious fan apocrypha.

Existentially Uncertain Fontcow's Avatar
    Last Online

03.13.17 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 868 Times in 463 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Reckless Fable View Post
    I think this is a bit of specious fan apocrypha.

I'm truly impressed with "Specious fan apocrypha". I wished I'd have come up with it because I agree with you wholeheartedly! Unequivocally and empirically, if Dave stopped smoking his voice would improve. Smoking cigarettes can do nothing but damage to your vocal chords in the long run.
    Last edited by Fontcow; 09.17.16 at 07:42 PM.

24. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1 & 1984 & ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

In a simple rhyme
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:08 AM
    Liked 266 Times in 120 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fontcow View Post

... snip....Unequivocally and empirically, if Dave stopped smoking his voice would improve. Smoking cigarettes can do nothing but damage to your vocal chords in the long run.

I think we are well past the long run haha.

Cheers
    mrC (who will take Dave in VH anyway anyhow anytime.) ('',)b
    *Follow my ubiquitous audio/video/composing/production mishaps, with & without The OBViOUS ... often resulting in hilarious musical consequnces:

http://www.facebook.com/mrChristopherTV
    http://www.facebook.com/theobviouscom

٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶

26. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Reckless Fable View Post
    If Dave, in two-thousand fucking sixteen, thinks his voice is better by smoking cigarettes because Ted told him to go outside for a smoke almost 4 decades ago, he deserves to go back to playing Vegas.

But I don't think this the case. I think this is a bit of specious fan apocrypha.
    Dave is weird. He also thinks his screeching thing is a good idea.

The guys in the podcast sounded like they got that from Dave himself. And the Ted thing is the only source I could think of for that type of reasoning. Ted did have a huge positive impact on Dave's singing so that could be a "gospel according to Ted" thing in Dave's mind.

Also listened to the Sammy podcast, very good one. Sammy continues to be a likable guy every time I hear him talk. It's pre "apology" so he answers questions asked of him about VH honestly. Some VH fans may not like his answers, but he always sounds more honest than Eddie to me. The crowd is into it and very pro-Sammy. (They even sing along to Why Can't This Be Love)

https://art19.com/shows/rock-solid/e...4-0fe0dd2ffc52