Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

08.21.17 @ 09:32 PM
    Liked 2,028 Times in 1,265 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyBHarris View Post
    I really didn't hear about Sammy at that time either. I don't think Sam had a big following up in the north east, Dave mentions He was on Long Island (I grew up in Philly). We didnt have cable, so no MTV. We on,y had FM radio.
    Must of not been getting much radio play their. Heavy Metal, Baby's On Fire, One Way To Rock, Can't Drive 55....He was all over my stations in Rochester NY.

Yeah, MTV woulda been a big factor in hearing of him too. Can't Drive 55 was on every half hour in 1984.

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 70 Times in 32 Posts

Premium Member

In episode #3 of Dave & Dave Unchained - a Van Halen podcast, the Dave’s welcome their first guest, “Van Halen Rising” author Greg Renoff. They dissect Renoff’s unique approach to creating his book. Then they explore Renoff’s behind-the-scenes research, such as his journey finding VH engineer Don Landee, capturing the feel of the Pasadena scene, locating VH’s original keyboard player, and even what he left out of the book. But that’s merely an appetizer! Once they get deeper into the woods, the trio analyzes the tug-of-war relationship between David Lee Roth and Edward Van Halen, DLR’s current role in the band, Ed’s buck wild Billboard interview, whatever happen to the “secret project,” the state of VH’s legacy, a possible reach out to Michael Anthony, and more. They even open with an analysis of David Lee Roth’s recent comments on the future of the band.

Download or play the new episode on:
    iTunes – https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...n/id1102231619
    Spreaker.com – http://www.spreaker.com/show/dave-da...-halen-podcast

Connect with the Dave’s!
    Twitter: @ddunchained
    Facebook: Dave-Dave Unchained
    Instagram: ddunchainedpodcast
    email:ddunchainedpodcast@gmail.com

Much thanks to Greg for the interview, Jeff at the Van Halen News Desk for promoting the podcast, and to all our listeners for your feedback & support.

~Dave #2

4. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

5150/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Blood and Fire
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:06 PM
    Liked 784 Times in 473 Posts

Love these podcasts--keep 'em coming!
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Stats:
    BECAME FAN/PSYCHO: 12/91
    VAN HALEN WITH DAVE: 9x
    VAN HALEN WITH SAMMY: 8x
    VAN HALEN WITH GARY: 5x
    CHICKENFOOT/THE CIRCLE: 6x
    DAVE SOLO: 13x
    SAMMY SOLO: 15x (including MIKE/MONTROSE)
    GARY/EXTREME/TRIBE OF JUDAH/HURTSMILE: 7x
    CABO WABO CANTINA: 1x
    MET: Sammy 1x, Dave almost 1x, Gary 2x

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 2,801 Times in 1,450 Posts

Just listened to #3. Awesome job guys. The speculation about the "Were they trying to get Mike back?" was very interesting. Just speculation I know, but it does make certain things make more sense. Greg is right....there seemed to be some emotion behind Eddie's "I had to show Mike all the bass parts". It's like there was something fresh in Eddie's mind there to provoke that outburst.

At one point Greg was pointing out that Dave is a songwriter. The vocal melodies are his and a vital part of the songs. It kinda sounded like you guys downplayed that a little bit and went back to the "Dave is just the icing on the cake". I think Dave was a big part of the cake as well.

The part where you speculate why Van Halen's legacy in rock history is undervalued. I think their lack of activity is a part of it...but only the tip of the iceberg. The rock press (we know who they are) create that kind of narrative on bands and a lack of activity never stops them from giving due credit for bands they like. John Lennon and Jimi Hendrix aren't doing much either but they'll never miss an opportunity to tell everyone how "important" those guys were. The lack of activity from Van Halen just gives them an excuse...they are only too happy to grab an opportunity to not talk about VH.

I didn't realize Don Landee had been in the business that long either. Nice little tidbit.

Kinda sad to hear that Jim Pewsey is dead. A very notable part of VH history there and I don't recall hearing about it.

Greg's next book is a "Van Halen related book...not a Van Halen book per se". That's a nice tease. Can't wait to see what that's about.

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1 & 1984 & ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

In a simple rhyme
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:08 AM
    Liked 266 Times in 120 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Harpospoke View Post
    Just listened to #3. Awesome job guys. The speculation about the "Were they trying to get Mike back?" was very interesting. Just speculation I know, but it does make certain things make more sense. Greg is right....there seemed to be some emotion behind Eddie's "I had to show Mike all the bass parts". It's like there was something fresh in Eddie's mind there to provoke that outburst.

At one point Greg was pointing out that Dave is a songwriter. The vocal melodies are his and a vital part of the songs. It kinda sounded like you guys downplayed that a little bit and went back to the "Dave is just the icing on the cake". I think Dave was a big part of the cake as well.

The part where you speculate why Van Halen's legacy in rock history is undervalued. I think their lack of activity is a part of it...but only the tip of the iceberg. The rock press (we know who they are) create that kind of narrative on bands and a lack of activity never stops them from giving due credit for bands they like. John Lennon and Jimi Hendrix aren't doing much either but they'll never miss an opportunity to tell everyone how "important" those guys were. The lack of activity from Van Halen just gives them an excuse...they are only too happy to grab an opportunity to not talk about VH.

I didn't realize Don Landee had been in the business that long either. Nice little tidbit.

Kinda sad to hear that Jim Pewsey is dead. A very notable part of VH history there and I don't recall hearing about it.

Greg's next book is a "Van Halen related book...not a Van Halen book per se". That's a nice tease. Can't wait to see what that's about.

Cheers for the interesting review Harpospoke.
    I guess I'll have to check it out. ('',)v

mrC
    *Follow my ubiquitous audio/video/composing/production mishaps, with & without The OBViOUS ... often resulting in hilarious musical consequnces:

http://www.facebook.com/mrChristopherTV
    http://www.facebook.com/theobviouscom

٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Eruption
    Favorite VH Song

Secrets
    Last Online

11.01.17 @ 03:25 PM
    Liked 607 Times in 299 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrchristopher View Post
    Cheers for the interesting review Harpospoke.
    I guess I'll have to check it out. ('',)v

mrC
    It's def worth a listen. Us VH lunatics on here aren't going to necessarily learn anything new from the podcast but it's a fun, easy going conversation about our favorite band (if it hasn't been noted before they don't play any music, most likely for legal reasons.) The Daves are part of that grouping that are cool with Dave and Sammy.... (and maybe Gary?), so it's not like the show favors one singer over the other. I've enjoyed all the episodes so far. I'd be shocked if you listened and didn't wanna be there, joining in on the convo.
    A new short film I made, please like/follow:
    http://facebook.com/umbrellashortfilm

11. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1 & 1984 & ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

In a simple rhyme
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:08 AM
    Liked 266 Times in 120 Posts

I listened today.

Great convo as you said! Greg's insight was really fresh as were some of his unverified educated guesses. He really added to the show.

Certainly each VH podcast has improved by leaps and bounds.

I do hope that they can take steps to improve some of the technical issues they are having with the pumping thin "Skype" - like microphone EQ issues.

(In headphones there are moments where this is a bit painful.)

However, the great mash-up production bits they include show what they'll be capable of once they get these minor bugs worked out. ('',)b

Thanks guys! Keep up the good work!

mrC ('',)/
    *Follow my ubiquitous audio/video/composing/production mishaps, with & without The OBViOUS ... often resulting in hilarious musical consequnces:

http://www.facebook.com/mrChristopherTV
    http://www.facebook.com/theobviouscom

٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶

13. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Eruption
    Favorite VH Song

Secrets
    Last Online

11.01.17 @ 03:25 PM
    Liked 607 Times in 299 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrchristopher View Post
    Certainly each VH podcast has improved by leaps and bounds.

I do hope that they can take steps to improve some of the technical issues they are having with the pumping thin "Skype" - like microphone EQ issues.

(In headphones there are moments where this is a bit painful.)

mrC ('',)/
    yeah the main thing i think they need to work on is the sound. it can be really bad at times.
    A new short film I made, please like/follow:
    http://facebook.com/umbrellashortfilm

15. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

02.21.17 @ 09:48 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Love the podcast really good stuff, but the audio quality is horrendous. Hopefully they can invest into a better setup. I listen to a lot of podcasts, which have top notch values. Maybe that is why it sticks out so much to me.

Either way I am on board really enjoy the VH banter, keep em coming.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 07:33 PM
    Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts

Sammy opened up for Sabbath, can't remember if it was the Heaven and hell tour or the Mob rules tour.

Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies & Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 5,127 Times in 2,425 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Work'in Hard View Post
    Sammy opened up for Sabbath, can't remember if it was the Heaven and hell tour or the Mob rules tour.
    ____

Among the acts opening for Sabbath in 1980-81 were Alice Cooper, Blue Öyster Cult, Sammy Hagar, Journey, Cheap Trick, Billy Squier, Molly Hatchet, Saxon, Nazareth, Humble Pie, Angel Witch, Rose Tattoo, Girlschool, and Shakin’ Street.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts

Donor

Listened to episode 2 while doing my cardio today. Good stuff Dave's! Love the part where one of you described Dave's songwriting as having a "street poet" vibe. One of the best descriptions I've ever heard/read about him. It only works with Van Halen with me though.

Is there an episode 1 that I seemed to have overlooked? I only have 2 and 3.
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Last Online

Premium Member

Smile Episode #4 is up!

HALEN HUNGRY? ROTH SERVES UP “EAT ’EM & SMILE”

Heard you missed us, well we’re back! “Dave & Dave Unchained” – the Van Halen podcast – returns with episode 4 celebrating the 30th anniversary of David Lee Roth’s 1986 solo album, “Eat ’Em & Smile.”

At a time when Van Halen didn’t sound very Van Halen, Roth opted to head in the big rock direction VH was known for mixed with a bit of his “Crazy from the Heat” style added in for good measure. Roth hired gunslingers Steve Vai on guitar and Billy Sheehan on bass with Gregg Bissonette behind the drum kit. The videos were wild and colorful and the live show was packed with Van Halen hits.

The Dave’s discuss the launch of Roth’s band, the “Eat ’Em & Smile” tour and breakdown the album song-by-song. There’s also an exclusive interview with Vai, who looks back on his “Eat ’Em & Smile” days, why the band changed direction with the next album “Skyscraper,” and even opened up about the “Eat ’Em & Smile” reunion that almost happened and might still happen. To cap things off, the ‘cast concludes with part 2 of the interview with “Van Halen Rising” author Greg Renoff who talks about his massive “Eat ’Em & Smile” article he wrote for Guitar World, Roth’s botched movie, and the awkward position DLR is currently in these days.

Sit down with a bottle of anything and a glazed donut while enjoying this firecracker of an episode!

Download or play the new episode (or old ones) on:

Connect with the Dave’s!
    email: ddunchainedpodcast@gmail.com

Thanks for your support!
    ~Dave

21. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

The one I'm listening to.
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:12 AM
    Liked 1,956 Times in 443 Posts

Donor

I've really been enjoying these podcasts, and have been featuring all of them on VHND. Great job, Dave and Dave.

Last Online

Premium Member

Talking Episode 5 - We interview a former member of VH!

THE VH THAT MIGHT HAVE BEEN

What would have happened if Van Halen went with another singer instead of Gary Cherone? Perhaps the VH space-time continuum would have veered into an alternate universe. For episode 5, “Dave & Dave Unchained – A Van Halen Podcast” jumps in the DeLorean and travels back in time to the summer of 1996 when a Nashville rock vocalist named Mitch Malloy had a brief stint as the third singer in the mighty Van Halen.

In an exclusive interview with the Dave’s, Malloy recounts how he got introduced into the lead singer hunt, his days at 5150, getting offered the job, what made him hit the eject button, the night he almost sang with the band, and how his friendship with Eddie continued even beyond Gary’s tenure.

“This is so weird,” says Malloy in the interview about first reaction to playing with the band. “I’m listening to myself singing with Van Halen. That’s not Sammy and that’s not Dave, it’s me!”

The podcast also touches upon Van Halen’s current options moving forward as well as upcoming new VH book, “Runnin’ with the Devil: A Backstage Pass to the Wild Times, Loud Rock and the Down and Dirty Truth Behind the Rise of Van Halen,” on the horizon by former manager Noel Monk.

So strap on your bib and sharpen your utensils because this is one dense and intense six-course meal that will leave you with a Halen Hangover.

Download or play episodes on:

Connect with the Dave’s!
    email: ddunchainedpodcast@gmail.com

As always, thanks for your support – hope you enjoy listening to it as much as we had making it,
    ~Dave

24. The Following 2 Members Like This Post: