Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.02.17 @ 07:47 AM
    Liked 140 Times in 83 Posts

Default Replacement Pups

So here's a serious conundrum I'm contemplating. The most faithful pickup, for my own personal playing, has been my peavey wolfgang special tobacco burst bridge pup. I've never found another like it. My wife and I have a gold top & purple special, but the sound isn't quite there. I've also got a Duncan EVH 78 in a korean exp red peavey wolf, which has the highs, but no bite when chunking along. I've also used a DiMarzio Virtual Hot PAF (now know as the 36th anniversary PAF? OR the Master PAF?) which was sub par overall.

Now, I am nitpicking! A simple amp tweak can rectify most of these issues within a hot minute, but the quagmire I'm putting myself in is that I want to have a guitar that can quickly be switched out and get 98% of the same sound without having to go through any extra rig-a-marrole.

I am open to multiple suggestions, let the Socratic guitar discussion commence. & thank you as always!

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:00 AM
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

Any USA Peavey Wolf should be 98% the same sounding. Unless you've got one that got a maple top(however thin it may be) and two that are solid basswood. Which is my guess as to what you've got. I played lot of Peavey Wolfs Archtops and Specials. I refused to even touch the EXP imports. All the USA ones were very extremely close to one another. I was expecting the Specials to sound like crap. They all sounded the same. As we know two guitars made side by side with the exact same materials can sound different. My Pat Pending Peavey Wolf sounds different from my white and tobacco ones. I sold the white one which I regret. But it sounded exactly like the tobacco one.

There's a slew of ways to get your guitars to sound the same. A simple eq pedal with a little boost solves the problem. Personally I'd buy another USA PV with a maple top and see how that sounds. Well, that's a lie. I would just use the PV Wolfgang bridge pickup I've been hoarding since 1998. If it's that pickup you like track another one down. Or try the Tone Zone which sounds a little better. TZ is the reason I never installed the Wolf pickup. I liked it a little better than my Wolfgangs. Closer to my EBMM Axis I think.
    VH III is Ed's solo album. So everybody who keeps saying they wish he'd do one needs to stfu and listen to III. Then stfu again.

Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.02.17 @ 07:47 AM
    Liked 140 Times in 83 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AFU View Post
    Any USA Peavey Wolf should be 98% the same sounding. Unless you've got one that got a maple top(however thin it may be) and two that are solid basswood. Which is my guess as to what you've got. I played lot of Peavey Wolfs Archtops and Specials. I refused to even touch the EXP imports. All the USA ones were very extremely close to one another. I was expecting the Specials to sound like crap. They all sounded the same. As we know two guitars made side by side with the exact same materials can sound different. My Pat Pending Peavey Wolf sounds different from my white and tobacco ones. I sold the white one which I regret. But it sounded exactly like the tobacco one.

There's a slew of ways to get your guitars to sound the same. A simple eq pedal with a little boost solves the problem. Personally I'd buy another USA PV with a maple top and see how that sounds. Well, that's a lie. I would just use the PV Wolfgang bridge pickup I've been hoarding since 1998. If it's that pickup you like track another one down. Or try the Tone Zone which sounds a little better. TZ is the reason I never installed the Wolf pickup. I liked it a little better than my Wolfgangs. Closer to my EBMM Axis I think.
    So I re-wired my evh standard to a 2 volume no tone - and replaced the 3 way with a switchcraft like on the peaveys. Added a brass block from a defunct peavey floyd to the evh special trem (had to compensate for screw difference with brass washers) and the sound is nearly identical.

My multi meter reads the evh standard pups hotter than the peavey, but it's still not as good as the peavey.

A luthier bud told me the magnet makes all difference regardless of output readings and I tried to find out what kind of magnet is in the peaveys. There is no clear answer other than alninco 5's or a thin ceramic magnet. Does anybody know what is in the peavey pup?

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:16 PM
    Liked 911 Times in 467 Posts

Are you looking for a PV Wolf pickup to replace it in the guitar? I see two bridge pickups on the bay for $85. http://www.ebay.com/itm/GUITAR-PICKU...cAAOxyUXVRD88h. Here's a neck pickup for $75 https://reverb.com/item/1937055-peav...k-pickup-zebra