Register
Save
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast
    Last Online

09.15.19 @ 12:28 AM
    Liked 10,702 Times in 5,886 Posts

Premium Member

The Batman has found its new director.

According to a report in Variety, Matt Reeves has accepted the position that was recently vacated by Ben Affleck.

Reeves is most famous for his directorial roles in Cloverfield and War for the Planet of the Apes and will now be taking his next step by directing the DC Comics film.

It was on Jan. 30 when Affleck announced that he would be stepping away from the project. At the time he released a statement saying that he would still star in the film, but could not handle the responsibilities of both.

“There are certain characters who hold a special place in the hearts of millions,” Affleck said at the time. “Performing this role demands focus, passion and the very best performance I can give. It has become clear that I cannot do both jobs to the level they require. Together with the studio, I have decided to find a partner in a director who will collaborate with me on this massive film. I am still in this, and we are making it, but we are currently looking for a director. I remain extremely committed to this project, and look forward to bringing this to life for fans around the world.”

Affleck, who wrote the screenplay and will remain on board as both star and executive producer of the film, has been expressing slight differences of opinion with the studio for some time, indicating that he was more concerned with perfecting the script before going forward, while the studio had concerns about hitting their release date.

Reeves is no stranger to this situation as he was forced to replace Rupert Wyatt as director of the Planet of the Apes sequel at Fox; he also successfully helped to reboot the franchise in Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

War for the Planet of the Apes is currently in post production and is set to debut in July, which means that there should be no conflict of time before The Batman is set to begin.

http://comicbook.com/2017/02/11/matt...-batman-movie/

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

05.08.19 @ 09:10 AM
    Liked 4,223 Times in 2,233 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood P. View Post
    Looks like a good hire. It was too much on Affleck's plate, so to speak. I'm probably in the minority, but I really dug his Batman, think he was awesome. (and I am no Affleck fan, wasn't anyway) Problem was with the some of the storyline/plot.
    Same here. BvS had a lot of problems, but Affleck wasn't one of them. He's pretty regarded as the best part of the movie from everyone I've talked to.

Definitely hoping he stays. With Reeves directing and Affleck starring, it might be my most anticipated super hero movie.

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

09.14.19 @ 08:10 PM
    Liked 17,964 Times in 10,211 Posts

Premium Member

Reeves Exits Talks To Direct THE BATMAN 
    Posted by: Bill "Jett" Ramey (Follow @BATMANONFILM) 
    Date: February 17, 2017 

Well, I should try to come up with some snide and sarcastic comment about the latest news/drama surrounding THE BATMAN.

Today, I don’t want to.

Per THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER, director Matt Reeves has exited talks with Warner Bros. to directTHE BATMAN (AKA “The Solo Batfleck Bat-Flick”) in place of former director Ben Affleck who himself dropped out of the project a little over a week ago.

OK, maybe I do want to…just a little.

Is ANYONE going to try to continue with the “everything is awesome” narrative when it comes to this project? If so, I REALLY want to hear it. Go right ahead and post your take in the comments section below sirs and ma’ams.

And check out this quote from THR’s report…

“A studio source confirms that negotiations have broken down. The possibility, however, exists that talks could resume when heads cool. The studio is intent on making the movie no matter what as the Batman franchise has proven to bigger than one person.”

Wow.

“When heads cool.”

“The studio is intent on making the movie no matter what....”

F'N WOW!

I haven’t heard this from anyone yet, but I’d be willing to bet a month’s paycheck (and as always, in MONOPOLY money) that Mr. Reeves’ has a vision for what he would do with this film and his round peg doesn’t fit into Warner’s DCEU square hole.

Take that for what you will.

Frankly, I’ve just about lost all interest in this film, and I’ve sure as hell lost all faith in it.

Think about that for a second, OK? A lifelong Batman fan who for 19 years has run a Batman website dedicated to Batman’s cinematic endeavors is at the point where he no longer gives a f*ck about the next live-action Batman film. You know, the next Batman film that going to be made no matter what because the franchise is bigger than one person.

You know, I’m damn near speechless. But let me say this – WITHOUT peace and love, peace and love – all you fanboys who’ve had your irrational, illogical, and in-denial heads in the metaphorical sand the last couple of months about this film, need to now shut the hell up. If you continue to speak, you’ll sound even more foolish than you already do (if THAT'S even possible).

I don’t think I have a big enough drum to bang any longer...and maybe I don't care if I did.

http://www.batman-on-film.com/THE-BA...s_2-17-17.html
    Last edited by bklynboy68; 02.17.17 at 05:22 PM.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

09.13.19 @ 01:53 PM
    Liked 1,079 Times in 680 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

How DC Comics Is Making Directors Hate Filmmaking

http://www.cracked.com/blog/how-dc-c...te-filmmaking/
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Last Online

Premium Member

Now they say Reeve's IS directing. Ugh! I give up... I'll care when the DVD is in my hands.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

09.14.19 @ 10:22 PM
    Liked 1,668 Times in 1,098 Posts

Premium Member

Yeah. Lots of back N forth drama in this sucker. Not even shooting yet.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Rawhide in "A"

Tom Brady hates tomatoes

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Goodbye, Ben.

THE BATMAN Has A New Director... For Real 

Date: February 23, 2017 

This is the best news I've heard about this project in quite some time. Matt Reeves isofficially on board to direct THE BATMAN Check out the press release...

Warner Bros. Pictures announced today that Matt Reeves (“Dawn of thePlanet of the Apes,” “Cloverfield”) has been set to direct “The Batman.” Reeves will also serve as a producer on the new stand alone action adventure centering on one of DC’s most enduringly popular Super Heroes. The announcement was made by Toby Emmerich, President and Chief Content Officer, Warner Bros. Pictures Group.

Emmerich stated, “We are thrilled to have Matt Reeves taking the helm of Batman, the crown jewel of our DC slate. Matt’s deep roots in genre films and his evolution into an emotional world-building director make him the perfect filmmaker to guide The Dark Knight through this next journey.”

Matt Reeves noted, “I have loved the Batman story since I was a child. He is such an iconic and compelling character, and one that resonates with me deeply. I am incredibly honored and excited to be working with Warner Bros. to bring an epic and emotional new take on The Caped Crusader to the big screen.”

Batman was created by Bob Kane with Bill Finger.

“The Batman” will be distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company.

Does anyone else find it just a bit curious that there's no mention of Ben Affleck in thatpress release? ANYWAY...

This is going to be a tremendously interesting project to follow over the next couple of years. Man, there are SO many questions...

Will the previous script be scrapped? And if so, who will write it?

How much creative control will Mr. Reeves have? AND...

How many films (a trilogy?) does Mr. Reeves invision and how many is he signed on for?

Will THE BATMAN be set before or after BATMAN v SUPERMAN?

And of course, will Ben Affleck stay on board as The Batman?

All I hope is that Warner Bros. lets this dude make the film he wants to make -- sequel, prequel, reboot, soft-reboot, whatever.

Stay tuned folks! And make sure to post your thoughts in the comments section below!

(SOURCE: DEADLINE.COM)

http://www.batman-on-film.com/THEBAT...l_2-23-17.html
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some!!
    Last Online

09.13.19 @ 04:52 PM
    Liked 1,457 Times in 885 Posts

Premium Member

I'd like to see a good Batman movie on the screen, before they start worrying about a Nightwing spin-off.
    That said, after watching the Lego Batman movie, I think McKay has a great feel and knowledge of the characters.

Warner Bros. Plotting Live-Action 'Nightwing' Movie With 'Lego Batman Movie' Director

Chris McKay will helm a film based on the DC character Dick Grayson, best known as a member of the Batman family.
    Warner Bros. is plotting a new DC superhero film based on the Batman-centric character Nightwing.

Chris McKay, who most recently directed The Lego Batman Movie for Warner Bros., is in negotiations to helm the new live-action film, and Bill Dubuque (The Accountant) is writing the script.

Nightwing, aka Dick Grayson, is perhaps best known for being the original Robin. Grayson was the youngest member of a family of acrobats known as the Flying Graysons. He was created by Bob Kane and Bill Finger and illustrator Jerry Robinson, and first introduced in Detective Comics No. 38 in April 1940. After his parents were murdered, he was taken in as the legal ward of Bruce Wayne/Batman. He then became Robin and teamed up with the Dark Knight on many an adventure to fight crime in the city of Gotham.

Grayson famously shed his persona in the 1980s as the character aged up, and became the leader of the Teen Titans. (In the DC Universe, a succession of young men took on the mantle of Robin while Nightwing became a popular character in his own right, headlining his own comics and appearing in animated movies.)

McKay has already directed a film with Dick Grayson in it: The character appeared in Lego Batman, as Robin, and was voiced by Michael Cera. Nightwing will be his live-action feature film debut.

The character of Robin has yet to officially appear in the new Warner Bros. movies, although his graffiti-covered suit was shown in Batman v. Superman, and director Zack Snyder has said that at that point in time Robin had been killed by the Joker (there have been multiple Robins over the years in the comics, and Snyder did not say which one was killed by the Joker in his film, although it is likely Jason Todd if the film is aligning with the comics).

The Nightwing project joins Warner Bros.' growing DC Extended Universe as the studio focuses on mining some of DC's most beloved characters for new films (as an example, Gotham City Sirens, with David Ayer attached to direct, will focus on the female villains of the universe, including Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn). The next films to hit theaters include Wonder Woman starring Gal Gadot (June 2), the star-studded Justice League (Nov. 17) and Aquaman starring Jason Momoa (Oct. 5, 2018). A sequel to Suicide Squad, The Batman starring Ben Affleck, a Shazam film, a Flash film and a Cyborg project are also in the works.

McKay made his feature-film helming debut with hit animated superhero comedy The Lego Batman Movie, which has earned $182.4 million to date after hitting theaters on Feb. 21. He previously worked on The Lego Movie as an animation co-director, and has also directed three seasons of series Robot Chicken. McKay is repped by UTA, Rise Management and Morris Yorn.

Along with The Accountant (which starred current Batman Ben Affleck), Dubuque previously wrote The Judge and A Family Man. He is repped by CAA, Zero Gravity Management and Bloom Hergott.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...irector-978737

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

REPORT: Why Matt Reeves Signed On To Direct THE BATMAN 

Date: February 27, 2017 

One of the main topics discussed on the latest BATMAN ON FILM PODCAST was Warner Bros. inking Matt Reeves as the director of THE BATMAN. And if you’ve been following this story on BOF, you know that Reeves actually walked away from negotiations with the studio before ultimately agreeing to take the gig.

So, why did he walk and what caused the change of heart?

Was it over money as has been reported? Or was it something, else?

According to Mario-Francisco Robles (former lead editor at LATINO-REVIEW.COM) over at SPLASHREPORT.COM, Reeves didn’t break off talks solely due to money; it was way more about the creative control he would have on THE BATMAN. Per the report, Warner Bros. capitulated to Reeves’ demand to be able to make HIS Batman movie and not be simply a hired gun to someone else’s film.

If this is how it went down – and I don’t have any reason to believe otherwise based on what I’ve been hearing – then props to Matt Reeves for sticking to his guns. And you know what? Warner Bros. should be congratulated for doing the right thing!

Let this guy make the best Batman film he can. If that means throwing out the previous Johns/Affleck/Terrio script, then so be it. If that means there are little or no references to the great DCEU, that’s more than fine.

And I think that’s the approach that WB figured out (or maybe remembers?) works best.

If you’ve been following what I’ve saying on BOF (be it on the website, the BOF Facebook Page, or on the BOF Podcast), I’ve been saying and hinting that going forward, Warner Bros. will be allowing filmmakers not only to make the DC film that want to make, but also without having to account for what’s going on in other DC films helmed by different directors. The first DCEU film made under this “new” approach will be James Wan’s AQUAMAN in 2018 (word on the street has it that Wan would only do the film if was given significant creative control).

For the full report, click the link provided above. It’s a good story and worth a read.

http://www.batman-on-film.com/THEBAT...n_2-27-17.html

13. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

09.13.19 @ 01:53 PM
    Liked 1,079 Times in 680 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Wonder Woman leak: 'Ben Affleck’s Batman to make SHOCK appearance pre-Justice League'

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainme...ague-Gal-Gadot
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

15. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

09.14.19 @ 10:22 PM
    Liked 1,668 Times in 1,098 Posts

Premium Member

Groovy. Makes perfect sense.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Rawhide in "A"

Tom Brady hates tomatoes

Last Online

Premium Member

Get Ready For “Noir-Driven, Detective” THE BATMAN

Matt Reeves has some thoughts on the character. We agree.

“The Dark Knight” and “The Caped Crusader” are two of the most common names for Batman. The third is “The World’s Greatest Detective,” but you probably wouldn’t think of him that way based on his film appearances post-1966. We haven’t seen that side of him be the serious focus of any story (I love The Dark Knight, but come on, that bullet re-assembly is borderline CSI parody) however the new director for the character’s next solo installment might just change that.

While speaking to New Trailer Buzz about his upcoming War of the Planet of the Apes (which, by all accounts, is both dark and fantastic), Matt Reeves had the following to say about what kind of tone he hopes The Batman will have:

“I think there’s a chance to do an almost noir-driven, detective version of Batman that is point of view driven in a very, very powerful way, that is hopefully going to connect you to what’s going on inside of his head and inside of his heart.”

Reeves also compared Batman to his Planet of the Apes protagonist Caesar, saying they’re both grappling with internal demons while trying to “do the right thing in a very imperfect and to some degree corrupt world.” That sounds about right! (They also both hate guns, which is a nice little through-line)

What do you think of Reeves’ plans for the character? It sounds like he has a great understanding of what it takes to make a Batman movie, so you can definitely colour me excited.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/06/...ive-the-batman
    Last edited by Number 47; 06.28.17 at 09:13 AM.

18. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

07.14.19 @ 09:50 PM
    Liked 4,099 Times in 2,561 Posts

What a welcome change that would be.
    Although, "World's greatest detective"....stop. Everyone knows Columbo is the best.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

09.13.19 @ 08:30 AM
    Liked 457 Times in 345 Posts

Premium Member

Mixed feelings at best.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    Get Ready For “Noir-Driven, Detective” THE BATMAN

Matt Reeves has some thoughts on the character. We agree.

“The Dark Knight” and “The Caped Crusader” are two of the most common names for Batman. The third is “The World’s Greatest Detective,” but you probably wouldn’t think of him that way based on his film appearances post-1966. We haven’t seen that side of him be the serious focus of any story (I love The Dark Knight, but come on, that bullet re-assembly is borderline CSI parody) however the new director for the character’s next solo installment might just change that.

While speaking to New Trailer Buzz about his upcoming War of the Planet of the Apes (which, by all accounts, is both dark and fantastic), Matt Reeves had the following to say about what kind of tone he hopes The Batman will have:

“I think there’s a chance to do an almost noir-driven, detective version of Batman that is point of view driven in a very, very powerful way, that is hopefully going to connect you to what’s going on inside of his head and inside of his heart.”

Reeves also compared Batman to his Planet of the Apes protagonist Caesar, saying they’re both grappling with internal demons while trying to “do the right thing in a very imperfect and to some degree corrupt world.” That sounds about right! (They also both hate guns, which is a nice little through-line)

What do you think of Reeves’ plans for the character? It sounds like he has a great understanding of what it takes to make a Batman movie, so you can definitely colour me excited.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/06/...ive-the-batman
    I am down like four flat tires. BRING IT ON!
    Oh, and the announcement that Affleck is out can't come soon enough. I'm guessing after the Justice League release/fiasco.