Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 16 123411 ... LastLast
    Hang 'Em High James in New York's Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:33 PM
    Liked 2,064 Times in 670 Posts

Default New from Pete Angelus: Dave Didn't Quit Van Halen!

Pete Angelus:

Like all musical groups, perception is everything, right? There was the perception that they all got along beautifully and hung out. And there were a couple of years that went better than others. But I would say, and I’m sure that Edward and Dave — if they were willing to be truthful about it — would admit that there was always some tension, primarily between Alex and Eddie with Dave.

Alex was always very regimented in his approach to how serious the music business was. And Dave had a very different viewpoint of it. And Edward was just completely in his own world musically. I don’t really think he cared to get in the middle of those approaches [because] he was so involved in his own music. Everything was music for Edward. Edward wasn’t as social a person as anyone in the band, because he was dealing with his thoughts and his ideas, all the time. And usually locked in a hotel room playing the guitar, or locked in the bus playing the guitar, or sitting in his bunk playing the guitar. But that guitar never left his hands.

With all groups, there is some tension between the members. In 1985, when they announced the break-up, I was with Dave actually at the time. As I remember it, they had been touring pretty consistently for five years. And the idea was simply to take like a year hiatus. And some of them had things they were interested in doing during that year. Dave wanted to spend the time to make a movie [Pete and Dave were collaborating on a movie, Crazy from the Heat, which was never filmed].

When I was on the phone with Alex, Eddie, and Dave, everybody was agreeable to a one-year hiatus. And I can’t remember, but it was like a week or two after that I read that Dave had quit the group in Rolling Stone. At least that was how someone in the Van Halen camp was trying to present it. I remember being on the phone with Dave, going, “Will you look at this shit?! We just had an agreement and an understanding, and everybody was on board a week or two ago…and now this?!” It rolled into a lot of very negative feelings, because I think Dave felt betrayed. I don’t know how the Van Halen’s felt betrayed, because they had agreed to it. Maybe they felt betrayed because he wanted to pursue something in film. But it rolled quickly into some very negative areas.

I remember having a conversation with Alex, as to “What exactly is going on here? Because I thought everybody just agreed to take a year off.” I remember him being kind of aggressive about it, like, “Oh no, that’s bullshit man. We’re not going to sit around and wait while Dave makes a movie. You’ve got to pick sides of where you want to be.” I was like, “Well, wait a minute. No one is sitting around and ‘waiting’ while Dave makes a movie. A few weeks ago, we were talking about maybe it was time for Van Halen to take a year off the road, after so much consecutive touring.” And it was like, “No, that’s bullshit, man. We’re not going to be in a holding pattern for Dave’s whims.” So that was probably how he perceived it, after having agreed to it.

I don’t know why his perception changed, but it did. And I don’t really remember speaking to Edward specifically about it after that. I do remember him saying, “We’re going to carry on as Van Halen.” Edward and Alex were always of the mindset that everybody that worked for them was overpaid, in a sense, and they were going to very carefully select their “team.”

Whereas Dave, at the time, was very optimistic and very open to all creative ideas. So Dave was like, “Will you come with me, and we’ll carry on? We’ll put a group together. I want to go on the road and I want to keep touring. I don’t want this to stop me. I’m not going to sit here in a holding pattern and hope for the best.” I was always much closer with Dave, from the very beginning. It wasn’t really even a decision as to what was going to happen. Dave and I would continue to work together, as we had in the past. And from there, we put together Steve Vai, Billy Sheehan, and Gregg Bissonette, and we carried on.

Interesting! Now, are we now taking this “Dave did NOT quit Van Halen” idea to the bank? Not exactly, but it’s very interesting to hear Pete’s take on the breakup. Truth is rarely black and white. In the case of Van Halen’s split with Roth, the truth might be a bit of a gray area.

Usually, both sides … Roth and Van Halen … will describe the breakup as Roth simply leaving the band. But we think it wasn’t a black-or-white, he-quit-or-didn’t-quit situation. The relationship between the brothers and Dave had devolved to the point that they could not agree on management, musical direction, producers, touring plans — just about anything. Both sides were very frustrated and emotional, and both seemed to think it wasn’t going to work anymore.

So, did Dave quit, or was he fired? Perhaps it was more of a mutual parting of the ways, for better or for worse.

Full story at The VHND...

Read more: http://www.vhnd.com/2016/04/07/did-r...#ixzz45CAooiue
    Fashion your life as a garland of good deeds.

- Buddha

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:37 PM
    Liked 1,941 Times in 913 Posts

Premium Member

This has Ed written all over it.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:32 PM
    Liked 11,728 Times in 6,498 Posts

Premium Member

NEVER MIX THESE TOGETHER

†"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesnít really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 10,823 Times in 5,692 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by James in New York View Post
    Pete Angelus:

Like all musical groups, perception is everything, right? There was the perception that they all got along beautifully and hung out. And there were a couple of years that went better than others. But I would say, and I’m sure that Edward and Dave — if they were willing to be truthful about it — would admit that there was always some tension, primarily between Alex and Eddie with Dave.

Alex was always very regimented in his approach to how serious the music business was. And Dave had a very different viewpoint of it. And Edward was just completely in his own world musically. I don’t really think he cared to get in the middle of those approaches [because] he was so involved in his own music. Everything was music for Edward. Edward wasn’t as social a person as anyone in the band, because he was dealing with his thoughts and his ideas, all the time. And usually locked in a hotel room playing the guitar, or locked in the bus playing the guitar, or sitting in his bunk playing the guitar. But that guitar never left his hands.

With all groups, there is some tension between the members. In 1985, when they announced the break-up, I was with Dave actually at the time. As I remember it, they had been touring pretty consistently for five years. And the idea was simply to take like a year hiatus. And some of them had things they were interested in doing during that year. Dave wanted to spend the time to make a movie [Pete and Dave were collaborating on a movie, Crazy from the Heat, which was never filmed].

When I was on the phone with Alex, Eddie, and Dave, everybody was agreeable to a one-year hiatus. And I can’t remember, but it was like a week or two after that I read that Dave had quit the group in Rolling Stone. At least that was how someone in the Van Halen camp was trying to present it. I remember being on the phone with Dave, going, “Will you look at this shit?! We just had an agreement and an understanding, and everybody was on board a week or two ago…and now this?!” It rolled into a lot of very negative feelings, because I think Dave felt betrayed. I don’t know how the Van Halen’s felt betrayed, because they had agreed to it. Maybe they felt betrayed because he wanted to pursue something in film. But it rolled quickly into some very negative areas.

I remember having a conversation with Alex, as to “What exactly is going on here? Because I thought everybody just agreed to take a year off.” I remember him being kind of aggressive about it, like, “Oh no, that’s bullshit man. We’re not going to sit around and wait while Dave makes a movie. You’ve got to pick sides of where you want to be.” I was like, “Well, wait a minute. No one is sitting around and ‘waiting’ while Dave makes a movie. A few weeks ago, we were talking about maybe it was time for Van Halen to take a year off the road, after so much consecutive touring.” And it was like, “No, that’s bullshit, man. We’re not going to be in a holding pattern for Dave’s whims.” So that was probably how he perceived it, after having agreed to it.

I don’t know why his perception changed, but it did. And I don’t really remember speaking to Edward specifically about it after that. I do remember him saying, “We’re going to carry on as Van Halen.” Edward and Alex were always of the mindset that everybody that worked for them was overpaid, in a sense, and they were going to very carefully select their “team.”

Whereas Dave, at the time, was very optimistic and very open to all creative ideas. So Dave was like, “Will you come with me, and we’ll carry on? We’ll put a group together. I want to go on the road and I want to keep touring. I don’t want this to stop me. I’m not going to sit here in a holding pattern and hope for the best.” I was always much closer with Dave, from the very beginning. It wasn’t really even a decision as to what was going to happen. Dave and I would continue to work together, as we had in the past. And from there, we put together Steve Vai, Billy Sheehan, and Gregg Bissonette, and we carried on.

Interesting! Now, are we now taking this “Dave did NOT quit Van Halen” idea to the bank? Not exactly, but it’s very interesting to hear Pete’s take on the breakup. Truth is rarely black and white. In the case of Van Halen’s split with Roth, the truth might be a bit of a gray area.

Usually, both sides … Roth and Van Halen … will describe the breakup as Roth simply leaving the band. But we think it wasn’t a black-or-white, he-quit-or-didn’t-quit situation. The relationship between the brothers and Dave had devolved to the point that they could not agree on management, musical direction, producers, touring plans — just about anything. Both sides were very frustrated and emotional, and both seemed to think it wasn’t going to work anymore.

So, did Dave quit, or was he fired? Perhaps it was more of a mutual parting of the ways, for better or for worse.

Full story at The VHND...

Read more: http://www.vhnd.com/2016/04/07/did-r...#ixzz45CAooiue

We've seen this story before with the Van Halens so I think that the "Dave claim" is probably closer to the truth.

While Roth has a massive ego, I have a tough time believing that he thought that he could just cast aside the Van Halen brothers and carry on like nothing happened.

I'm guessing they agreed to take a break and Ed and Al got spooked by Dave deciding to do other projects with his free time. Then Ed's piece of shit car broke down and he took it to Claudio's...
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:38 PM
    Liked 1,849 Times in 809 Posts

I think they were fine with the break, until they saw there was another way.
    If Sammy never entered the picture, the hiatus would've probably taken place or perhaps another singer would be found
    The Van Halens seem to me to have a lot of knee jerk reactions, this was one of them and it worked out great for them.
    Booting Sammy was also pretty knee jerk and perhaps bringing Dave back was as well.
    The challenge?
    Dave thinks things through and sees a bigger picture
    Sammy sees things through and sees a bigger picture
    Al and Ed are staring so hard trying to find the sailboat on that 3D picture, they lose track of everything around them
    It's why 5150 is filled with shit we'll never hear
    It's why we never got the reunion we deserved in 96
    It's why 04 was a disaster
    It's why we have had only 1 studio album in 9 years

Keep looking for that sailboat fellas, or should I say scooner

Signaled from my ballsack

6. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

I'm confused with the timeline. So this occurred before or after Ed & Dave had their infamous meeting? That VHND article last year said Ed drove to Dave's house after getting the vibe Dave wasn't into what they were doing.
    †"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesnít really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:11 PM
    Liked 1,596 Times in 982 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by James in New York View Post
    Edward and Alex were always of the mindset that everybody that worked for them was overpaid, in a sense, and they were going to very carefully select their “team.”
    Sadly, history has shown this is the most likely scenario.

I didn't used to believe it. I was irked with Dave for leaving Van Halen for years, when it first went down.

But nowadays...given everything that's transpired since...it's fairly obvious it really wasn't Dave at all.

Man. Talk about letting shit go to your head.

It's not just your last name, dude. And your last name isn't necessarily the bottom line...as 1998 showed quite clearly.

It's also an animal that was co-created by three other guys, no more or less.

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:51 PM
    Liked 1,689 Times in 644 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post
    Then Ed's piece of shit car broke down and he took it to Claudio's...
    I never believed that story. My guess is that the first contact between Van Halen and Sammy was a lawyers phone call.
    "The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:37 PM
    Liked 1,941 Times in 913 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    I'm confused with the timeline. So this occurred before or after Ed & Dave had their infamous meeting? That VHND article last year said Ed drove to Dave's house after getting the vibe Dave wasn't into what they were doing.

I'm thinking the meeting and bro-hug was Dave thinking Ed was agreeing to let him take a year to do some other shit, and Ed thinking Dave was leaving.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,296 Times in 3,167 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I don't buy this for a second. Dave would've said so in 1985. He quit. Mike even said it. Hell Pete even went with Dave so he's a little biased don't you think?

Sent from my iPhone using swagger

13. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by DRFC View Post
    I'm thinking the meeting and bro-hug was Dave thinking Ed was agreeing to let him take a year to do some other shit, and Ed thinking Dave was leaving.
    I just don't the see them crying over a one year break. Man, the booze and coke had to be flowing in that room for that to go down.
    Last edited by bklynboy68; 04.07.16 at 07:20 PM.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    I don't buy this for a second. Dave would've said so in 1985. He quit. Mike even said it. Hell Pete even went with Dave so he's a little biased don't you think?

Sent from my iPhone using swagger
    But Dave said originally that he didn't quit. In fact, his original reactions were kind of what Angelus described here.

16. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:59 PM
    Liked 18,085 Times in 8,934 Posts

There have been dozens of these stories and theories, and I bet all of them have truths in them.

Basically, they all fucked up.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:47 PM
    Liked 16,489 Times in 9,344 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    There have been dozens of these stories and theories, and I bet all of them have truths in them.

Basically, they all fucked up.
    Teamwork at its absolute worst.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

19. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 12:23 AM
    Liked 7,837 Times in 4,573 Posts

Premium Member

Ed and Al are dicks. Al, by the simple fact of green lighting every bad decision Ed ever made. I love my brothers but I'm my own man and they do not have power over me.

Dave, Sam, and Gary. 3 singers who have all been let go either directly or indirectly...

21. The Following 2 Members Like This Post: