Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Talk about the band, best singer, etc. I don't care.

But as a person, Ed needs space. Everything he does does not have to be monitored by the fans. He has a life, like you and me. He wasn't made to be in the public eye 24:7. He was made to be a great guitarist, not your everyday feeding frenzy. Would you like to be over analyzed with everything you do? No. So why is Ed any different? Well guess what? He's not!

[Note: Everone should be everyone]
    [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ May 21, 2001 at 03:40 PM: Message edited by: Sleepless Nights ]
    "There's a time and place for everything- for everyone."

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

10.09.12 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I agree to an extent, we only really get to know the music - we can't really know the people based on fleeting public appearances.

On the other hand, this is a message board about Van Halen. People are obviously gonna analyse every small and contradictory piece of information about the band that comes our way since there isn't anything concrete to talk about. And it's not like we're doing it outside Eddie's front door. I doubt whether he surfs by here very often to see what people are saying.

[ May 21, 2001 at 03:49 PM: Message edited by: Jonathan ]
    Delusions of eloquence

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 12:41 PM
    Liked 11,603 Times in 4,947 Posts

He doesn't, but those close to the band certainly get the vibe of the loyal fanbase from these message boards.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brett:
    He doesn't, but those close to the band certainly get the vibe of the loyal fanbase from these message boards.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe. But how honest do you think they are with him?
    Delusions of eloquence

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 12:41 PM
    Liked 11,603 Times in 4,947 Posts

In all honesty, NONE OF IT. Maybe and this is a big maybe, Brad shares some of it with them, but I doubt even that.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brett:
    In all honesty, NONE OF IT. Maybe and this is a big maybe, Brad shares some of it with them, but I doubt even that.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It seems that Mike surfs the PD from time to time, but who knows how much he even talks to EVH these days. You've gotta wonder whether the message from the fanbase is being heavily diluted before it reaches Eddie given what he did on Saturday.

Allegedly he was surprised by the indifference and poor ticket sales of the VH3 tour because he thought everyone would be happy to hear the old stuff [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
    Delusions of eloquence

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 10:13 AM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

Does anyone know if Eddie was "devasted" when Gary left?

He was after all, Ed's "musical soulmate".

Maybe he took it pretty hard, much like someone would if they lost their "real soulmate".

[img]smilies/devil.gif[/img]
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Selling millions of albums in a band named after you brings a lot of things. Money is one of them; fame is another. There is a price to fame: privacy. Try as hard as you might, you can't maintain fame and privacy simultaneously. If you don't like the fame, you have to walk away from the spotlight, which often means sacrificing your career, and in some cases, your life's ambitions.

After more than 20 years of fame, Ed should know how the media will hound him. Now that the internet is popular, the 4th estate just got MUCH larger. Given, VH message boards are going to have the most concentrated VH talk, far more than in the general public. There is no avoiding it; fans want to know everything NOW because the technology allows for it.

Do you know why Ed despises the internet so much? Because when Valerie would go online into chatrooms or wherever, people said BAD things about the Ed and the band, ranging from his Peavey guitar contract being only for the money to the decisions he's made regarding singers. He heard all the crap from her and based his opinions on that. (that comes from several different guitar magazines' interviews)

So, by now, Ed is aware of the media. He should be aware of how to handle (or not handle) them. To expect everyone to just leave him alone is asking too much. When someone of his stature goes silent for about 3 years, with 3 years worth of rumor and speculation to fill the void, the media is in a frenzy. They ALL want to know what's going on-the bigger the news they get, the bigger the story, etc etc.

Honestly, if Ed feels that the media is that much of a problem, then all he has to do is make an official statement regarding his current undertakings and his future plans, if any. People would leave him be after that, at least until he had something new to offer. Instead, he has maintained his silence, which keeps the media interested. If the media shows interest, the people will have interest. Think about it: if Ed came out and said 'Hey, we're gonna do a record with Dave that should be out by July 2002', for the next year, people would basically leave him alone, but the prospective buyers for the CD would diminish in number over that year as well, leaving only the hard core fan base (what's left of it) and whatever new fans (if any) they could gather.

They know what the media means to them, and if they didn't like it, they would retire, and SAY SO as soon as possible to that effect. But, I think they rely on the media for much of their success, and wouldn't have it any other way. So, no, people should NOT leave Ed alone-he wants it this way. If he didn't, he would have walked away from it a long time ago.

He does what he can to maintain privacy at home, and that's fine. But be reasonable; if he did NOT want the world to see him out on the course, he wouldn't have been there. He could have simply donated whatever money he felt he would bring in to the LAPD. He wanted to be seen, with his kid, smoking whatever he was puffing furiously on, wrecking his cart, and making his comments. Make no mistake about that.
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Last Online

09.04.17 @ 05:32 AM
    Liked 62 Times in 32 Posts

Once again Abe, you are the speaker of truth. This will piss off some people because the truth makes them feel uncomfortable.
    "Gully, watch yourself. I am dead serious." - Brett Norton, Emperor of VHLinks.com

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i respect ed s space ,i love the guys music,he s totally inspired my guitar playing and i ll always be a huge fan of his,but saying its cool if he still smokes when he s told everyone he s been sick and is getting treatments is being very sheepish. he knew people would say something if he was smoking in public.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Bru
    im sorry but ed made that decision when he wanted to be famous, and if he didnt he wouldnt have signed a contract. he became famous and made the choice to be in the public eye.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Hmmm...don\'t have one
    Last Online

01.11.08 @ 09:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's right Bru. By the way, welcome to this place. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] Little-to-no privacy is the price of being famous. Like my history teacher said my junior year of high school: "the news media are the biggest criminals in the world." Ed becamse signed that contract probably to make albums, but not necessarily to be famous. But people are gonna talk about him whether he's silent or not.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

what a load of horse shit, ed made a decision to be famous did he??? i thought he just wanted to play guitar and be in a rock band. i am in a band and i don't play to be famous (if that happens...cool), i play because i love playing music. there is no better feeling than your mates sitting around playing music with you. and by the way, with your way of thinking, anyone who plays in a band forfits their right to privacy because there is a possibility that they may be famous, and we all know famous people don't have a right to privacy. bullshit to that.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 09:14 AM
    Liked 986 Times in 397 Posts

why would ed even want to continue making music after knowing how so many people bash him; people questioning his parental skills and such. i mean, give me a fucking break people.

if ya wanna be pissed off because we as fans have received no word about anything from the band, then fine. but don't go taking digs at ed's personal life, that is just plain cheap and uncalled for. some people have no class or common sense at all [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Webmaster/Graphic Artist Top Timmy's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

10.28.16 @ 08:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

quote:
    Originally posted by Bru:
    im sorry but ed made that decision when he wanted to be famous, and if he didnt he wouldnt have signed a contract. he became famous and made the choice to be in the public eye.

Wait, aren't you the same guy that was happy about Eddie having cancer a few weeks ago right? WTF are you doing back here? [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
    Webmaster/Graphic Artist