Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Eruption
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:28 PM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

Default Boss DD500 for EVH delays?

Are any of you guys using the Boss DD500? It has a Vintage Digital setting, which is essentially the SDE3000. AND, it looks like you can run TWO presets simultaneously, so you could set one for a short delay and the other for a longer delay, and get that EVH layered thing that he does with his SDE3000s. I just picked one up, so I'm going to give it a shot.

Has anyone done this with the DD500?
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

07.18.16 @ 10:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jape Man View Post
    Are any of you guys using the Boss DD500? It has a Vintage Digital setting, which is essentially the SDE3000. AND, it looks like you can run TWO presets simultaneously, so you could set one for a short delay and the other for a longer delay, and get that EVH layered thing that he does with his SDE3000s. I just picked one up, so I'm going to give it a shot.

Has anyone done this with the DD500?
    I had exactly the same thought when reading about the Boss DD500. Any luck with your test? Would be great to get some feedback before I order one.
    Thanks!

Favorite VH Song

Unchained!
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 11:29 AM
    Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by flippyb View Post
    I had exactly the same thought when reading about the Boss DD500. Any luck with your test? Would be great to get some feedback before I order one.
    Thanks!

I know this is an old thread, but might be worth reviving for all modern-VH tone aficionados

--

Same thing here. I am about to buy it but first need to confirm it is possible to use the "Vintage Delay" mode essentially as 2 SDE3000 in parallel. According to this thread, this should be possible:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/in...614316/page-35

I have/had 2 Roland SDE3000 that I bought off ebay some years ago. Were nice deals and they seemed solid. However, after 4~5 years, one died and the other one looks like it is going to die any minute (crazy display, etc.). No tech here is able to fix them, they say every part is discontinued

I miss the SDE3000s ever since. I can really hear the difference between the SDE3000 and, say, any mainstream modern delay pedal. BOSS DD2 is close, but not that warm, and does not have the Filter / Modulation controls

--

From the thread on the link above:

SDE-3000 phase-reversed delay -- this one requires "A+B" mode, and it's the "simplest" of all these methods...but very effective!

Back in the day, some people would buy two SDE-3000s, run them in parallel (hard L/R, with a mixer), sync their LFOs for modulation (you actually had to run a cable from one to the other that would sync them!), and then run identical settings, but reversing the phase of the audio on just one of them (which is a common technique in stereo chorus pedals). When the speakers were far enough apart, you'd get a huge stereo image from this (much like the Modulate delay on the DD-20, or the DD-7). Luckily, this is the one delay mode on the DD500 that allows you to manipulate the phases of the audio, so you can do the same "trick" here!

All you have to do is set up two identical SDE-3000 delays in "A+B" mode, pan one hard L, one hard R, and flip the phase on one delay from positive to negative--that's it! (be careful not to flip the feedback phase just yet--that does something different, so keep both of those positive!) You should get a huge, visceral stereo sound--no "bounce," just a very wide, spacious feeling going on. With modulation it gets even better.

I should say, this is the only area where I have a little uncertainty--it all depends on whether or not the feedback for the delays comes after the volume phase choice or before (the PCM80 has some algorithms where it's before and some after, and it definitely works better if the phase choice happens after the feedback loop). Odds are, it should work okay--if not, you can try changing the feedback phases to compensate for that.

Sometimes you can get some REALLY unpredictable stuff going on when you change the feedback phases around--the whole stereo image might start sounding like it's "shrinking" and "expanding" as it feeds back more and more, and sometimes--if you're lucky--you'll get sounds that are "bigger" than stereo (i.e. ones that really make you think you're hearing things in places you're not). Usually, this only happens when modulation is thrown in, but feedback filtering can help too.

(5) dual delays/offset modulation -- this also requires A+B mode--first, set it up just like (4), but keep the audio and the feedback phases the same. Then, use modulation on both, but try different "offsets"--decrease the rate/depth on one just one slightly, or decrease both the rate and the depth on one just a little bit (I usually prefer the second thing here). You might even be able to change the waveforms between the two--if that's possible, try a Cosine waveform on one, and a Triangle wave on the other (same rate, same depth)...then play around with offsetting those...you should get a more "nebulous," unpredictable "stretching" of the stereo image going on, since one delay is always going to be running "ahead" of the other (Haas effect again), affecting your perception of what's louder and where the sound's originating from. As long as the two delays aren't toodifferent in their offsets, they will still sound like "one" thing and not "two."

The cool thing about this method is that, since it doesn't rely on changing phases, you are free to mix-and-match different delay types, or use any delay type you want on both (analog/tape/vintage/SDD/etc.). The safest bet is to use the same type on both sides, but I'm sure there is enough "overlap" in the general tone of some of those delays to allow you to use two different kinds and still make it sound like "one" thing.
    Last edited by GOLATTARI; 02.21.17 at 11:12 AM.
    GOL Guitar!
    [SIGPIC]http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/signaturepics/sigpic23027_7.gif[/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Song

Unchained!
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 11:29 AM
    Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts

Looks like the only thing that needs to be done is to put it on A/B mode (two presets can be turned on at the same time), then set both presets to Vintage Delay (mode)/SDE3000 (type) and pan them hard L/R to give the effect of 2 Roland SDE3000s. Now, what is left is to get to know if it really sounds as good as a SDE3000 as they advertise

Good thing is that it can be controlled via midi, so a long delay setting (a-la cathedral) can be turned on while the "normal" delay is turned off at the same time. All this with a click of a switch and in just one unit, no need for audio loops etc. I think I'm sold
    GOL Guitar!
    [SIGPIC]http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/signaturepics/sigpic23027_7.gif[/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:19 PM
    Liked 6,981 Times in 5,014 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by GOLATTARI View Post
    Looks like the only thing that needs to be done is to put it on A/B mode (two presets can be turned on at the same time), then set both presets to Vintage Delay (mode)/SDE3000 (type) and pan them hard L/R to give the effect of 2 Roland SDE3000s. Now, what is left is to get to know if it really sounds as good as a SDE3000 as they advertise

Good thing is that it can be controlled via midi, so a long delay setting (a-la cathedral) can be turned on while the "normal" delay is turned off at the same time. All this with a click of a switch and in just one unit, no need for audio loops etc. I think I'm sold
    This is good to know, because I actually own the DD-500, yet have only powered it up a couple of times. Simply set a short delay/reverb-like effect, a longer lusher solo delay, and of course a Cathedral approximation w/slight modulation.

I haven't delved into the myriad of other functions it has, so this info is appreciated.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All four
    Favorite VH Song

One, Sky, Control, Movies
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 04:01 PM
    Liked 486 Times in 311 Posts

什么?

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,350 Times in 3,191 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post
    什么?
    Come again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by fudd View Post
    Come again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That had me confused as well.
    Boss/Roland is a Japanese based company. Is that ^^^ some type of Asian writing/crypt/'glyphs?
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All four
    Favorite VH Song

One, Sky, Control, Movies
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 04:01 PM
    Liked 486 Times in 311 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    That had me confused as well.
    Boss/Roland is a Japanese based company. Is that ^^^ some type of Asian writing/crypt/'glyphs?
    Sorry, I started reading, but got lost at "..sync their LFOs..", so I replied "What?", in Chinese

fudd's reply, was basically the translation, in English, so I thought maybe he was translating it for everyone, LOL!

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post
    Sorry, I started reading, but got lost at "..sync their LFOs..", so I replied "What?", in Chinese

fudd's reply, was basically the translation, in English, so I thought maybe he was translating it for everyone, LOL!
    Ok, gotcha.
    Hey, I was close! Haha.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

08.08.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Any idea of how many milliseconds to set the left and right for this DD500 Van Halen setting described in this thread?

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

08.08.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tune into EVH Gear Discussion tonight 8/8/17 and watch Eric set up the DD500 in A/B mode with Eddie's settings. It will blow your mind !! 9PM tonight on YouTube EVH Gear Discussion

Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:20 AM
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

I'm def getting one to go with the H9. There's an open page on my iPhone so I see it and remember to buy it. Seems like the perfect delay for my current needs. Which are two PV 5150s in stereo with the H9. And way easier than two SDE-3000s.
    VH III is Ed's solo album. So everybody who keeps saying they wish he'd do one needs to stfu and listen to III. Then stfu again.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 11:02 AM
    Liked 121 Times in 74 Posts

Hey guys, just thought I would share this video, see it helps any of you. I credited the VH Links & John Conklin for the inspiration for doing this. I think the pedal sounds great.

15. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by floydrose5150 View Post
    Hey guys, just thought I would share this video, see it helps any of you. I credited the VH Links & John Conklin for the inspiration for doing this. I think the pedal sounds great.

Funny that you just shared this, Eric, because I literally read this thread again last night.
    As I mentioned above - I also own this pedal, yet have hardly putzed around with it.

Going to watch your clip. Thanks for posting!