Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:52 PM
    Liked 734 Times in 347 Posts

Default 5150 III Combo Owners Help!

Can any of you guys that own the 5150 III 112 Combo tell me about your clean channel? I'm finding mine to be a little thin sounding and pretty gainy. I've got the gain knob at about 10:30, and it's still breaking up quite a bit. Is this normal for this amp?
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,353 Times in 3,193 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    Can any of you guys that own the 5150 III 112 Combo tell me about your clean channel? I'm finding mine to be a little thin sounding and pretty gainy. I've got the gain knob at about 10:30, and it's still breaking up quite a bit. Is this normal for this amp?
    Yeah it can be gainey. Turn down the low a little and the mid and high up a little.

Last Online

I'm assuming once you set channel 1 for clean, it won't translate well when using channel 2, since they share the tone stack and gain. I'm also assuming you will never get anything approaching a Fender clean on it?

No big deal. I don't play clean much, but when I do, I want it to be clean. I'll probably pick up an A/B box and a Fender Champion 40 for the few songs I use clean tones on.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

@

Premium Member

Donor

Nope. But unless you're running a fender deluxe reverb or something you'll never get a true clean thru any high gain amp I've come in contact with. At least a tune amp. You can get a boss eq and clean it up a little or use a flanger or delay but it'll never truly be "clean". Not bad though.

Sent from my iPhone using swagger

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:34 PM
    Liked 6,982 Times in 5,015 Posts

Premium Member

I know it can be a bit of a juggling act, but how about slightly rolling off the guitar's volume knob when you also hit the pedal for the clean channel?
    I've done this before as well.

Go from about 10, to 7 or 8 when playing clean, then increase back to full volume when you engage the higher gain channels on your amp.
    You're getting the "clean" channel of a high gain tube amp, coupled with less actual growl from the guitar that's feeding the front end.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Last Online

I've experimented with that with some success, but the issue really is the EQ. At the settings where channel 2 sounds good, channel 1 sounds brittle. When I dial channel 1 in to where it is right, I don't like channel 2. Just wondered if this is a common thing.

A couple more questions. Have any of you noticed a difference between the tone of the 50 Watt head and the 112 combo? Also, has anyone tried different pre-amp tubes and discovered anything magical?

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:34 PM
    Liked 6,982 Times in 5,015 Posts

Premium Member

It really is a common issue for a lot of people, dating back (in terms of EVH gear) to the original Peavey 5150 amps.
    When two channels, or a "clean" channel with a crunch option, share eq controls - there's going to be a trade off. Frustrating? Yes. Then again, the 100w version has 3 independent channels, although that's simply too much power for many folks.

I know players who've dialed in a pretty happening clean tone and eq, used an outboard pedal to achieve their crunch tones, then have the renowned lead channel for over the top stuff. Again, it's often a trade off.
    I've never tried switching to different tube etc. so I can't comment on that.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.02.17 @ 07:47 AM
    Liked 140 Times in 83 Posts

What kind of guitar are you using?

I have the shared EQ set up for my blue channel and find it doesn't matter as long as I play light fingered when turning it to green. The fact that it breaks up if I go all forte in dynamics on it is a real plus to me personally. Finger picking AS IS clean section sounds killer, so does CCR's Green River.

Last Online

When I'm trying to play clean, I'm using a Strat with a Clapton Vintage Noiseless rig in it, with my mid-boost set to about 3. My other guitars are a Frankenstein humbucker equipped Strat, a Custom Custom equipped Les Paul, and a EVH Wolf Speical with a Custom Custom in the bridge

Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:20 AM
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by joezlo View Post
    What kind of guitar are you using?

I have the shared EQ set up for my blue channel and find it doesn't matter as long as I play light fingered when turning it to green. The fact that it breaks up if I go all forte in dynamics on it is a real plus to me personally. Finger picking AS IS clean section sounds killer, so does CCR's Green River.
    This
    VH III is Ed's solo album. So everybody who keeps saying they wish he'd do one needs to stfu and listen to III. Then stfu again.

Last Online

Oh yeah, one last thing. Does the speaker grille come off? I notice a little ribbon poking out on the bottom of left of the speaker grill, which would usually indicate the speaker grille comes off the front, but when i tug it, it seems like it's on pretty solid. I don't want to pull it to hard if it's not removable..

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

@

Premium Member

Donor

I've experimented with that with some success, but the issue really is the EQ. At the settings where channel 2 sounds good, channel 1 sounds brittle. When I dial channel 1 in to where it is right, I don't like channel 2. Just wondered if this is a common thing.

A couple more questions. Have any of you noticed a difference between the tone of the 50 Watt head and the 112 combo? Also, has anyone tried different pre-amp tubes and discovered anything magical?
    I have a pair of sylvania 6l6gc tubes I put in the power section and it sounded good on the mids but the highs broke up pretty bad. It would have to be re biased. It's always a crap shoot replacing tubes.

Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

When I'm trying to play clean, I'm using a Strat with a Clapton Vintage Noiseless rig in it, with my mid-boost set to about 3. My other guitars are a Frankenstein humbucker equipped Strat, a Custom Custom equipped Les Paul, and a EVH Wolf Speical with a Custom Custom in the bridge
    By mid boost - do you mean a pedal or your mid EQ on the amp?

& The speaker grille doesn't come off.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by joezlo View Post
    By mid boost - do you mean a pedal or your mid EQ on the amp?

& The speaker grille doesn't come off.
    Clapton mid boost on my guitar

Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Clapton mid boost on my guitar
    Try it with one of you humbuckers and pick lightly, see if the breakup is different. A mid booster using noisless single coils cold definitely be mudding up your sound.