Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:15 AM
    Liked 916 Times in 468 Posts

Default Just got my Poundcake drill in the mail from ebay today.... how do you use yours?

Other than as a drill, of course. It's a Makita 6012HD just like Eddies. I might stripe it up this weekend. Tomorrow I'll get some real playtime in, hopefully I won't get a noise complaint (I'm a student in a residence hall!).

When Eddie uses it he has left hand adjusting the volume knob with the right hand using the drill. I'm going to try and nail this little part and I'll report back how I did it. For the posters that have the poundcake drill, what do you do when you play the intro and solo? Nobody on youtube that I've found has done it very accurately, except for one. This is the closest I've found, I suspect he's among us
    Last edited by Yaminub; 03.30.16 at 08:48 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I & Balance
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One & Feelin'
    Last Online

11.10.17 @ 05:45 AM
    Liked 267 Times in 150 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yaminub View Post
    Other than as a drill, of course. It's a Makita 6012HD just like Eddies. I might stripe it up this weekend. Tomorrow I'll get some real playtime in, hopefully I won't get a noise complaint (I'm a student in a residence hall!).

When Eddie uses it he has left hand adjusting the volume knob with the right hand using the drill. I'm going to try and nail this little part and I'll report back how I did it. For the posters that have the poundcake drill, what do you do when you play the intro and solo? Nobody on youtube that I've found has done it very accurately, except for one. This is the closest I've found, I suspect he's among us
    Haha! Your suspicions are correct Thanks for the compliment man!

I really never 'got' why Eddie sometimes had his left hand covering the strings. Maybe to prevent feedback? I don't know. I also never thought that he might be doing something with the volume knob either. Again, I could be wrong. I just sort of half-assed what I did in that video based on how I saw Eddie play it. I baby my drill though lol, so I don't just toss it down during the solos like he does. I sort of gently lay it down. It causes my timing to be off, but oh well!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:18 PM
    Liked 461 Times in 200 Posts

hmmmm good post...

I havent used my Poundcake drill in a long ass time. I'll have to break it out and work it again. I never did that with my left hand though.... I always just muted the strings down low on the neck w my left hand

I'll watch some vids soon too

Rob

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:51 AM
    Liked 379 Times in 225 Posts

I assume he has his left hand ther to turn up the volume at the start of the song. There'd be a racket otherwise. He doesn't always leave it there. Watch the MTV awards poundcake. He walks around like its nothing and it's a good reference for his drill use. It's where I learned it from. Never had the right drill so I gave up.
    VH III is Ed's solo album. So everybody who keeps saying they wish he'd do one needs to stfu and listen to III. Then stfu again.

Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.02.17 @ 07:47 AM
    Liked 140 Times in 83 Posts

I took the power tools thing a little too far... ...one of my bands used to do everybody wants some & I took some leftover parts, spray painted them an awful green, put a really cruddy humbucker right to the output and used a battery operated Milwaukee reciprocal saw over it. And on it. Hacked chunks out of it and threw it to the side before putting on my real guitar. People thought I was nuts. Only bad part was the saw dust on my pedal board.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:04 AM
    Liked 6,982 Times in 5,015 Posts

Premium Member

I'm assuming Ed used his left hand to work the volume knob and also mute the strings, in order to keep unwanted feedback/overtones in check?
    Particularly for the intro. The drill & guitar are isolated while running through a very high gain/amplified rig.

For his parts during the solo, the band provides a backing track/buffer. Almost a comfort zone, as any "mistakes" wouldn't be as noticeable.
    My $0.02.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.02.17 @ 07:47 AM
    Liked 140 Times in 83 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yaminub View Post

I've never adjusted volume when I did it. Wide open volume all the way. You have to find the sweet spot with the drill - where the pickups pull in the magnetic hum of the drill's motor - it will over power any string feed back (still mute the strings with your other hand) and the sweet spot will get you a good drill motor sound. I used to play at my residence hall dorm when I was in college too! 15 watt vox valvtronix cranked! (with the window open too on the ground floor) yes I was a dick.