Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 07:17 AM
    Liked 724 Times in 341 Posts

Default NGD, 2016 Wolf Special in Black

Mark me down for another stupid trade. In order to understand what I did, it may require a little history.

I have a project guitar (Strat) that I had put a Frankenstein humbucker in. I then got a 1993 Clapton Blackie with Gold Lace Sensors. Found myself playing the Blackie all night, because of the tonal versatility, which vexed me, because I had a $350 custom Musikraft neck on my project guitar. So, I got a Vintage Noiseless Clapton rig for my project strat, and basically had 2 Blackies. Then I found myself favoring the project guitar and leaving the Blackie on the stand.

With all that in mind, I traded my '93 Blackie for a new Wolfgang Special. Yeah, I know. No need to lecture. The fact is that I always find myself gravitating back to EVH style guitars when I try to get away from them.

I got the Special with the Black Gloss body, which I just think looks the best. One of my favorite Wolfgangs I ever owned was a Pat. Pending Black Peavey for playability and looks. Anyhow, that one just spoke to me.

So now, honest evaluation time:

I bought this guitar knowing that I was going to change the bridge pickup on it right off the bat. Having owned a 1st Gen Wolf Special, I know what the USA Wolf pickups are supposed to sound like, and to be honest, I never really cared for them. These new Specials don't have the USA pickups, but ones produced overseas, so they didn't stand a chance with me.

I will be replacing the bridge pickup with a reverse-zebra Seymour Duncan Custom Custom. I've found that pickup works best for me, so it will go in.

I think the pickups look a little too close to the strings, which could be a pain in the ass if the TB-11 needs to be moved away from the strings a bit. I'll have to see what it sounds like once it's in.

The neck feels good, but the fret ends are not dressed properly, so I will have my tech guy take care of that when I get the pickup installed.

Minor things that can be easily fixed, but rub me the wrong way about the guitar otherwise relate mostly to the factory setup, or lack thereof. All the bridge saddles are straight in a row, which indicates there is absolutely no effort being made at the factory to do a proper quality check. The action between guitars is very inconsistent. Mine was too low, the one next to it in teh store was about right. Again, I'm accustomed to pulling an EVH out of the case, set-up and ready to play from the factory. Oh yeah, what case BTW? So, the model for this line is to sell the guitar for $1000, and then charge $200 for the case. That rubs me the wrong way.

I know it sounds like I hate it, but I really don't. I can see through all these little things and see the potential in the instrument. The problem is, most buyers don't or can't. This is a guitar that needs to be set-up when it arrives at the retail store to be right. If you try one at a GC, where they just unbox and hang the guitars, you are going to probably be disappointed.

So, what's right with it? Well, it looks killer for one. The carved top really makes it pop visually as compared to the 1st Gen Special. The neck is extremely comfortable, and the Jumbo Frets are more natural feeling to me than the vintage sized frets. String bends are more effortless and smooth than on the vintage sized frets. To me, it feels more like the Peavey Wolfgangs that I've owned.

So, there it is. Seems like a good formula. Trade down, get the new guitar and immediately feel the need to alter it because it doesn't sound the way you want it to. yeah.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:30 AM
    Liked 124 Times in 84 Posts

No pics?

Last Online

12.09.17 @ 07:17 AM
    Liked 724 Times in 341 Posts

I'll wait until i get the pickup in and get her set up.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Cant pick 1!
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 03:51 PM
    Liked 96 Times in 77 Posts

They seem to have that set up issue across the line which sucks if you are just running the racks looking for a nice playing guitar. I knew I wanted the specs the Wolfie offered which is why I bought it otherwise I would have passed based on the terrible setup. Actually over a year later i'm still trying to get the action down on mine. I.m new to this style of guitar and it has me a bit stumped.
    Congrats BTW!