Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Last Online

05.12.16 @ 06:06 AM
    Liked 468 Times in 372 Posts

Default Governor Cuomo Bans Non-Essential State Travel to North Carolina

Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today signed an executive order banning all non-essential state travel to North Carolina. The order requires all New York State agencies, departments, boards and commissions to immediately review all requests for state funded or state sponsored travel to the state of North Carolina, and bar any such publicly funded travel that is not essential to the enforcement of state law or public health and safety.

The ban, which takes effect immediately, follows North Carolina’s enactment of a law which bars transgender individuals from using restrooms appropriate for their gender identities, excludes sexual orientation and gender identity from state anti-discrimination protections, and prohibits municipalities from extending those protections to LGBT citizens.

“In New York, we believe that all people – regardless of their gender identity or sexual orientation – deserve the same rights and protections under the law,” said Governor Cuomo. “From Stonewall to marriage equality, our state has been a beacon of hope and equality for the LGBT community, and we will not stand idly by as misguided legislation replicates the discrimination of the past. As long as there is a law in North Carolina that creates the grounds for discrimination against LGBT people, I am barring non-essential state travel to that state.”

In 2015, Governor Cuomo banned non-essential state travel to the state of Indiana after that state’s legislature passed a controversial religious freedom measure that did not prohibit discrimination against LGBT citizens. The Indiana measure was later amended to prevent it from being used to discriminate against LGBT residents and travelers in Indiana, and that travel ban was lifted.

The Governor’s executive order banning non-essential travel to North Carolina is available here, and the text can be found below:

PROHIBITING STATE FUNDED OR STATE SPONSORED TRAVEL TO NORTH CAROLINA

WHEREAS, New York State is a national leader in protecting the civil rights and liberties of all of its citizens;

WHEREAS, New York State in 1945 enacted the first state law against discrimination in the nation, which now prohibits discrimination on many bases including age, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, sex, gender identity, marital status, and disability;

WHEREAS, ensuring that persons are free from discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity is a compelling state sanctioned government interest;

WHEREAS, protecting New York State from inadvertently financing discrimination against protected classes, including sexual orientation and gender identity, is a compelling state sanctioned government interest;

WHEREAS, the state of North Carolina has enacted legislation to bar transgender persons from using bathrooms and changing facilities corresponding to such persons’ gender identities, has excluded sexual orientation and gender identity from that state’s anti-discrimination protections, and has prohibited units of local government from extending such protections to lesbian, gay, bi-sexual, and transgender (LGBT) citizens;

WHEREAS, in a free society the equal rights of all citizens, including LGBT citizens, must be protected and cherished;

WHEREAS, in a free society the will of the many cannot be the basis for discrimination against the few;

WHEREAS, it is the policy of the state of New York to promote fairness, protect the welfare of the citizens of the state of New York, and combat discrimination;

NOW THEREFORE, I ANDREW M. CUOMO, Governor of the State of New York, by virtue of the power and authority vested in me by my office, the New York State Constitution, and the Statutes of the state of New York, do hereby ORDER AND DIRECT:

•All agencies, departments, boards, authorities and commissions to review all requests for state funded or state sponsored travel to the state of North Carolina so long as there is law in effect there that creates the grounds for discrimination against LGBT citizens; and

•To bar any such publicly funded or publicly sponsored travel to such location, unless such travel is necessary for the enforcement of New York State law, to meet prior contractual obligations, or for the protection of public health, welfare, and safety.

New York State’s ban on publicly funded travel shall take effect immediately and shall continue until such law is repealed.

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/gov...north-carolina

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:51 PM
    Liked 3,108 Times in 1,820 Posts

Premium Member

Whole bunch of show, but NY can do what it wants. Still, I think Cuomo is a hypocrite on this issue.

I would like to ask Cuomo if he agrees with and is happy that corporations like Disney are speaking out against the North Carolina and Georgia laws. If he says yes, I'd like to ask him again if he is against the SCOTUS Citizens United decision, which he has said again and again he is against in the past. If the answer is still yes, I'd like to ask him why he is such a hypocrite, that he is against free speech rights for corporations, yet for it when they say things he likes.

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:31 PM
    Liked 866 Times in 508 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

What do you think about this, Motherload?

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by UncleCrappy View Post
    What do you think about this, Motherload?
    The woman in me supports it. But the man in me feels that this is just a PR thing.

Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Motherload View Post
    The woman in me supports it. But the man in me feels that this is just a PR thing.
    I'm assuming this is an example of sarcasm. But I'm curious as to what your takeaway is. If it isn't sarcasm, please explain.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 07:02 PM
    Liked 6,673 Times in 3,698 Posts

the man is likely correct in this instance.

Last Online

I'm assuming this is an example of sarcasm. But I'm curious as to what your takeaway is. If it isn't sarcasm, please explain.
    I thought I did explain it. It's a PR thing. I am not saying that he doesn't feel this way legitimately, but it's a good PR decision. People are going to love him for this.

Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

I thought I did explain it. It's a PR thing. I am not saying that he doesn't feel this way legitimately, but it's a good PR decision. People are going to love him for this.
    If you were a resident of New York, would you support your governor prohibiting non-essential travel for state employees to North Carolina and Indiana because those states have enacted what he believes are inappropriate laws regarding sexual orientation and gender identity? Do you share his view?

Last Online

If you were a resident of New York, would you support your governor prohibiting non-essential travel for state employees to North Carolina and Indiana because those states have enacted what he believes are inappropriate laws regarding sexual orientation and gender identity? Do you share his view?
    I would support it with knowledge that it's also PR motivated.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 11:19 PM
    Liked 1,477 Times in 1,007 Posts

Premium Member

This is like Hollywood threatening to pull business from Georgia because of a bill that "discriminated against gays".

Gays can't get married in China can they? Why doesn't Marvel threaten China the same way? Oh, because China will tell them to hit the road and money will be lost.

This shit is usually just done to people that they know will cave.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

"McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
    This is like Hollywood threatening to pull business from Georgia because of a bill that "discriminated against gays".

Gays can't get married in China can they? Why doesn't Marvel threaten China the same way? Oh, because China will tell them to hit the road and money will be lost.

This shit is usually just done to people that they know will cave.
    Yeah, I don't understand. I thought corporations weren't people and therefore don't enjoy the protections of the bill of rights, like the right to free speech, unreasonable searches and seizures, property, freedom of association, and freedom of contract.

Why haven't the states of Georgia and North Carolina forcibly silenced these companies, taken the property that they are using, and forced them to continue doing business in the state?

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:47 PM
    Liked 10,840 Times in 5,702 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    Yeah, I don't understand. I thought corporations weren't people and therefore don't enjoy the protections of the bill of rights, like the right to free speech, unreasonable searches and seizures, property, freedom of association, and freedom of contract.

Why haven't the states of Georgia and North Carolina forcibly silenced these companies, taken the property that they are using, and forced them to continue doing business in the state?
    Liberals and Progressives crack me up. On the one hand, they rail against "greedy" corporations and how they can't be trusted and need to be regulated, yada, yada, yada. But a corporation is simply a business entity made up of human beings and all their flaws.

Then on the same hand, liberals and progressives feel that government is the elixir that will fix all of societies ills. What they seem to ignore or just don't realize is that government is also an entity made up of human beings and all their flaws. So expecting the government to behave any differently then these "awful" corporations is foolish.

But I'll go a step further. A corporation no matter how corrupt or greedy it is cannot force you to do business with it. The government? Well, we know that's a different story.

Anyway, not really related but your first sentence brought that to mind.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post
    Liberals and Progressives crack me up. On the one hand, they rail against "greedy" corporations and how they can't be trusted and need to be regulated, yada, yada, yada. But a corporation is simply a business entity made up of human beings and all their flaws.

Then on the same hand, liberals and progressives feel that government is the elixir that will fix all of societies ills. What they seem to ignore or just don't realize is that government is also an entity made up of human beings and all their flaws. So expecting the government to behave any differently then these "awful" corporations is foolish.

But I'll go a step further. A corporation no matter how corrupt or greedy it is cannot force you to do business with it. The government? Well, we know that's a different story.

Well both sides do some silly things. I mean, small government, liberty, but we CANNOT ALLOW gays to marry. Talk about hypocrisy. On the other side, when it comes to money not being speech and corporations not being people, the left is 100%, factually wrong.

If someone says money isn't speech, then I am completely baffled by the controversy of former Mozilla CEO Brendan Eich. He was fired or forced to resign (I can't remember which) due to his views about gay marriage, namely that he was against it. How do we know those views? He donated $1,000 to California's 2008 Proposition 8, which would have made marriage only between one man and one woman.

The room is spinning, so help me. How can we possibly know his views on gay marriage if a donation like that is not a form of speech? We should have no more of an idea his views on marriage after the donation than before it if that is the case. Yet somehow he lost his job over people thinking he was against gay marriage based solely on this donation. Whew, I need to sit down.

Corporate personhood goes back to common law, and it is embedded in US Code I. Corporate personhood is why Disney can freely state that they will move out of Georgia if they pass an alleged "pro-discrimination" law without being punished by the state of Georgia. It's why neither NC nor GA can force them to continue to do business in the state. They have protections under the bill of rights.

And it is why they can participate in politics just like the rest of us.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,106 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Piss on Coumo
    He is a straight up pussy
    May he and all those who support him, rot and burn in Hell.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post

No one is denying that government is corrupt, but most corporations are certainly not going to take any stand - especially if it impacts them financially. But it's the government that does things like making gay marriage legal, because you know human rights and all.

Who else are you expecting to take a stand and change laws as society changes?