Outta Love Again
    Last Online

12.06.16 @ 12:50 AM
    Liked 1,346 Times in 519 Posts

Premium Member

Default #feeltheJohnson

No Trump/Clinton 2016

Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson.

"The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.02.16 @ 08:19 PM
    Liked 152 Times in 95 Posts

Gary Johnson on Joe Rogan's podcast:

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

12.05.16 @ 10:52 PM
    Liked 498 Times in 259 Posts

I'm actually liking this kid more and more:

blah blah blah Devin Townsend blah blah blah

https://www.facebook.com/devintownsendexperience

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

12.05.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 11,878 Times in 5,810 Posts

Premium Member

That would have been a much better video if she would have taken her top off.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.06.16 @ 12:19 AM
    Liked 2,341 Times in 1,382 Posts

Peterson is a bit more libertarian than Johnson. I took ISideWith's quiz again recently, and I answer each question they have, I look at each option beyond "yes" and "no" and I mark how important each is to me. In the end, I agree with Austin Petersen 96% and Gary Johnson 94%.

Petersen has problems, though. One, there is an interview going around with him, and I am sure it isn't an outlier, where he's cursing like a sailor, and he even boasts to the host the "pyramid of pussy" that is available to him. This is from 2015. He is also openly atheist. While I don't think bad words and being Godless means you can't run a country, too many people do.

Johnson has the recognition, the momentum (most votes by a libertarian candidate by far since 1980), and the VP pick that is also recognizable, William Weld, former Governor of Massachusetts and Clinton appointee to be ambassador of Mexico (but withdrew his name after opposition from Jesse Helms).

Johnson also has the more electable positions on discrimination and public accommodations, even if I disagree (I realize that for now and probably forever, the libertarian, more strict constitutionalist stance is untenable to hold office). He's on the left on social issues, including abortion, and while I have my views on that, it's also the reason that in polls he either pulls equally from Trump and Clinton or more from Clinton. Johnson also has a real record on fiscal responsibility. I think I heard a stat where he vetoed more bills in New Mexico than other Governors combined.

If the libertarians choose Petersen, I wouldn't be surprised, but I think it makes little sense. It's one thing to put principle over party/winning when you already have influence. When you have no influence at all, sometimes you need to swallow a few things to get your foot in the door. A Johnson/Weld ticket is the best chance at actually making an impact in this election.

Last Online

12.05.16 @ 03:38 PM
    Liked 781 Times in 550 Posts

Premium Member

Libertarian VP prospect likens Trump's deportation policy to Holocaust

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/li...rticle/2591990

What a moron.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

"McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

Last Online

Premium Member

‘Never Gary Johnson’: He’s Not Conservative and Not Even All That Libertarian

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...-conservatives

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Yeah, I think a politician should be smarter than to describe anything significantly lesser than the holocaust as something like the holocaust. That said, in the original NY Times article, what he said isn't so bad, even if ill-advised. He did say it wasn't the same, but that he fears a slippery slope if we forget how things happened before. In other words, we have a candidate for President who says we need to round up a bunch of 'others' who are lesser than us--Mexico isn't sending their best, remember--and rid our country of them. What I think Weld was saying, and Johnson expanded, was how does this happen? Like Nazi Germany, are we all going to have to carry our 'papers?' Will they go door-to-door and ask you and me to prove we're American? Admittedly, though, the way he said this was using fear. I don't think making some sort of connection makes him a moron, though. But overall I think he was better off rethinking this analogy.

Regarding the piece on Johnson, it ignores a few things. One, Johnson actually would have succeeded in cutting overall spending except that his proposed budgets were all rejected by a state legislature that was more than 60% Democratic. At one point this led to Johnson threatening to shut down the government, but Democrats were unified against him and rural Republicans wouldn't back him.

National Review points out a 7.3% increase in spending each year, ignoring that government was growing at 10% a year prior to his tenure. Regarding debt, what Gary Johnson is talking about is that when it comes to tax receipts and expenditures signed by the governor, he inherited a $350 million deficit and, by his last year, brought in $1 billion more in tax receipts than government expenditures. By the time Richardson left office, he turned over a $500 million deficit to Martinez.

What I don't understand about this piece is that it starts off by saying he spent too much (which as I point out ignores reality), but then slags him for wanting to cut too much. I guess you have to be Goldilocks to pass muster? To go from deficit to surplus with a near-two-thirds majority Democratic legislature is pretty damn good, especially doing it while cutting taxes and making the state government smaller, all while having high job growth.

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    Yeah, I think a politician should be smarter than to describe anything significantly lesser than the holocaust as something like the holocaust. That said, in the original NY Times article, what he said isn't so bad, even if ill-advised. He did say it wasn't the same, but that he fears a slippery slope if we forget how things happened before. In other words, we have a candidate for President who says we need to round up a bunch of 'others' who are lesser than us--Mexico isn't sending their best, remember--and rid our country of them. What I think Weld was saying, and Johnson expanded, was how does this happen? Like Nazi Germany, are we all going to have to carry our 'papers?' Will they go door-to-door and ask you and me to prove we're American? Admittedly, though, the way he said this was using fear. I don't think making some sort of connection makes him a moron, though. But overall I think he was better off rethinking this analogy.

Regarding the piece on Johnson, it ignores a few things. One, Johnson actually would have succeeded in cutting overall spending except that his proposed budgets were all rejected by a state legislature that was more than 60% Democratic. At one point this led to Johnson threatening to shut down the government, but Democrats were unified against him and rural Republicans wouldn't back him.

National Review points out a 7.3% increase in spending each year, ignoring that government was growing at 10% a year prior to his tenure. Regarding debt, what Gary Johnson is talking about is that when it comes to tax receipts and expenditures signed by the governor, he inherited a $350 million deficit and, by his last year, brought in $1 billion more in tax receipts than government expenditures. By the time Richardson left office, he turned over a $500 million deficit to Martinez.

What I don't understand about this piece is that it starts off by saying he spent too much (which as I point out ignores reality), but then slags him for wanting to cut too much. I guess you have to be Goldilocks to pass muster? To go from deficit to surplus with a near-two-thirds majority Democratic legislature is pretty damn good, especially doing it while cutting taxes and making the state government smaller, all while having high job growth.
    Well, it is a hit piece I would say, but that's to be expected when you start to make a name for yourself. The National Review also has neocon tendencies as they have endorsed George Bush and Mitt Romney in years past.

but Democrats were unified against him and rural Republicans wouldn't back him.
    Rural Republicans talk a big game, but they end up going for the neocon in the end. Sad, but true.

This is one of the few negative pieces on Johnson that I've read so far. Interesting enough, it was one of our states Libertarians (Amanda Swafford) that brought the article to my attention. Her support for Johnson seems to come and go. I think maybe she likes Petersen better. I need to do more research on Petersen, but I liked his answer to question about baking cakes for gay couples better than Johnson's:

Last edited by rocknblues81; 05.24.16 at 04:11 PM.

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
    Well, it is a hit piece I would say, but that's to be expected when you start to make a name for yourself. The National Review also has neocon tendencies as they have endorsed George Bush and Mitt Romney in years past.

Rural Republicans talk a big game, but they end up going for the neocon in the end. Sad, but true.

This is one of the few negative pieces on Johnson that I've read so far. Interesting enough, it was one of our states Libertarians (Amanda Swafford) that brought the article to my attention. Her support for Johnson seems to come and go. I think maybe she likes Petersen better. I need to do more research on Petersen, but I liked his answer to question about baking cakes for gay couples better than Johnson's:

Yeah, I mean it shouldn't be a surprise Johnson isn't a conservative. And as you point out, if you start polling where he has been, people start attacking you.

You will start to see more of this. Johnson takes votes from both candidates, and in the most recent poll more from Clinton. In others he takes an even amount. If he is going to run and be significant, the attacks will come from both sides.

Hang 'Em High Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.05.16 @ 09:55 PM
    Liked 5,678 Times in 2,904 Posts

Premium Member

Guy said exactly what I would have said. Well done Petersen.
    I don't always listen to hard rock, but when I do, I prefer Van Halen. Stay Frosty my friends.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

I agree with Petersen. I have burned all kinds of calories in multiple threads arguing for the constitutional right to no associate with whom you do not want, nor enter enter a contract with whom you do not want.

But if that is what the Libertarians are going to put up for a nominee, they will make no headway in affecting the duopoly. At some point you have to make concessions on unwinnable positions on hypotheticals in order to get into the conversation. Once you're in the conversation, you can make your case at some point to do away with accommodations and anti-discrimination law (though I fear it's a lost cause, as people are now used to a 'right' they never should have had).

The larger issues that affect a lot more people, Gary Johnson is in line with AND he has a record on it, bringing taxes down and decreasing spending while turning a deficit into a surplus with a Democratic legislature.

I have evangelical friends who won't vote for Trump, but won't vote for Johnson because he is pro-choice and won't vote for Petersen because he is an atheist (who brags about the 'pyramid of pussy' available to him). Well, to each their own, but aren't there things that you can put on the back burner in order to get to the point where you can advance your cause?

15. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

‘Never Gary Johnson’: He’s Not Conservative and Not Even All That Libertarian

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...-conservatives
    National Review has a rebuttal today. Here are some highlights:

One problem is that Spiller “credits” Johnson with spending money he had little control over. His spending numbers include federal dollars that flow into the state for everything from Medicaid to education. Including just the General Fund that the legislature and governor must agree to each year, Johnson’s first budget was $2.7 billion and his final budget, eight years later, was $3.9 billion (an increase of about 41 percent).

Thus, under Johnson, New Mexico’s General Fund spending grew by 4.67 percent annually, not the outrageous 7.29 percent rate cited by Spiller. Once you factor in inflation and New Mexico being a relatively fast-growing Western state (population growth in the Land of Enchantment has stagnated since the late 2000’s economic crisis), Johnson’s spending record looks much better.

It goes on to say that Johnson's libertarian bonafides have increased since his time as Governor, and it admits that Bill Richardson slowed growth, but it also points out that 2007-2008 slowed down any plans Richardson had to spend heavily. Richardson's boondoggles also aren't mentioned--a $225 million spaceport for Virgin that basically goes unused, and a mostly unused commuter train that costs $50 million a year. Conversely, Johnson doesn't have any such "D'oh!" moments hurting taxpayers long after his reign.

In fact, New Mexico’s budget was sufficiently strong that Richardson was able to enact major pro-growth tax cuts immediately upon taking office. Johnson too pushed tax cuts while in office, but Richardson was able to follow through, taking the state’s top income-tax rate from 8.2 to 4.9 percent. Richardson succeeded where Johnson failed in cutting taxes in large part because during Johnson’s tenure the New Mexico legislature was controlled entirely by Democrats. These were no razor-thin margins either: Democrats held approximately 60 percent of all legislative seats.

Reason's Brian Doherty also points to Cato's review of Johnson's performance in their 2002 Gubernatorial report card.

Johnson....favors school vouchers, term limits, privately run prisons, lean budgets, and deep tax cuts.... In his first term, he vetoed 200 bills—many of them spending bills, which he labeled as profligate. The state Democrats made defeating Johnson their top priority in 1998, but he won anyway. ....

Through determination and wearing down the opposition, he has had legislative successes. He has cut the state income tax, the gasoline tax, the state capital gains tax, and the unemployment tax. In 2001, he wanted a further 7 percent reduction in income tax rates. The legislature cut the tax less than he wanted, so he vetoed the bill. In 1999, he vetoed a 12 cent per pack cigarette tax hike because he opposes all tax hikes. (He recently did sign off on a tobacco tax with the condition that the revenues be used to offset other tax cuts.) In 2000, he signed a residential property tax cap that will limit increases in valuations to 3 percent per year. Johnson has successfully sponsored other government reform initiatives such as an electricity deregulation bill, a 10 percent reduction in state payrolls, and a Medicaid cost-cutting plan....

The Speaker of the House in New Mexico, Ben Lujan, recently noted after an override of a Johnson veto: “There is no executive fiat in this state. The governor must have the consent of the legislature for fiscal action.” That explains why Gary Johnson’s grade is not even higher in this report card

Johnson got a "B" that year from Cato.
    Last edited by lovemachine97(Version 2); 05.25.16 at 09:44 PM.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

http://time.com/4349802/gary-johnson...n-consultants/
    Libertarian Hopeful Gary Johnson’s Spending on Consultants Draws Complaints

Center for Public Integrity / Michael Beckel May 26, 2016

More than 70 cents of every dollar Libertarian Gary Johnson — a man who could play spoiler in battleground states in November — has spent so far in his 2016 presidential bid has gone to the consulting firm of his campaign manager, Ron Nielsen, according to a Center for Public Integrity review of federal campaign finance filings.

This has irked some Libertarians ahead of their national convention, which starts Friday in Orlando, Florida, where party activists will select their presidential and vice presidential nominees.

“It’s extremely troubling,” said George Phillies, chairman of the Libertarian Party of Massachusetts. “We’re supposed to be fiscally prudent.”

Johnson is a former two-term governor of New Mexico who was the party’s presidential nominee four years ago, earning about 1 percent of the vote nationally.

Phillies calls Johnson, whose 2012 presidential campaign is still roughly $1.9 million in debt, “unacceptable.” Earlier this month, he sent a letter to his fellow Libertarian National Convention delegates urging them to support “a candidate who focuses his resources on outreach, not on paying his campaign advisors.”

Libertarians are hoping to be a force to be reckoned with in 2016 by tapping into dissatisfaction with Democrat Hillary Clinton and Republican Donald Trump — those parties’ all-but-certain presidential nominees.

More than a dozen candidates are challenging Johnson for the Libertarian presidential nomination this year including technology entrepreneur John McAfee and Austin Petersen, owner of news magazine and website LibertarianRepublic.com.

Johnson has spent about $334,000 since he launched his bid in January. By contrast, Peterson has spent about $36,000 campaigning for the Libertarian presidential nomination so far, with about one-quarter going to consultants, and McAfee has spent about $8,000, with about half going to consultants.

Documents filed with the Federal Election Commission show Johnson campaign has paid Nielsen’s Utah-based Liberty Consulting Service $239,600 for “campaign consulting services” since January.

What exactly does that mean?

“They’re doing a lot of services,” Johnson campaign lawyer Christina Sirois told the Center for Public Integrity. “Liberty Consulting Service provides overall campaign management services, including managing staff, advertising, research and more.”

Sirois added that the Johnson campaign would soon file amended campaign finance reports because it erroneously listed the Liberty Consulting Service’s name as “Liberty Consulting Services” in January.

The Center for Public Integrity had raised questions about this vendor after discovering that there was no “Liberty Consulting Services” registered to do business in Utah.

For years, transparency advocates have been calling for greater detail in how campaigns report their expenditures.

Vague terms like “campaign consulting services,” are, said Paul S. Ryan, deputy executive director of the Campaign Legal Center, “not very useful information for voters to keep tabs on how the candidates are spending the money they’re raising.”

But, he added: “So long as the candidate is paying fair market value for the goods and services the candidate is receiving there aren’t any legal issues.”

Earlier this week, Johnson took to Facebook to address Libertarian delegates who have been concerned about his outstanding 2012 campaign debt.

“The key fact for you, as a Delegate, to know is that NO funds being raised for the 2016 campaign will be used to reduce the 2012 debts shown on our campaign disclosure reports,” Johnson wrote.

On May 5, Johnson’s campaign submitted its latest proposal to settle its debt — the crux of which is to liquidate its list of email addresses of its supporters — and is currently waiting for the FEC to approve the plan.

This week, Johnson also announced plans to create a joint fundraising committee, which will raise money for Johnson’s campaign as well as the Libertarian parties in 15 states.

The 15 state parties set to benefit are Alabama, Alaska, California, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, West Virginia and Wyoming.

This story is from the Center for Public Integrity, a nonprofit, nonpartisan investigative media organization in Washington, D.C. Read more of its investigations on the influence of money in politics or follow it on Twitter.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

Yeah, Johnson probably should have waited until after he had the nomination locked before picking Weld. That crowd reaction...