Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Balance, Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

aint talkin\' bout love
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just thought it would be kinda cool to talk about what each cover means. I've always wondered what their all about besides the fact that they look cool. Any symbolism here? [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

09.24.16 @ 07:31 PM
    Liked 769 Times in 529 Posts

Premium Member
    Well, I'm pretty sure with Van Halen it's, "here's this new band, here's what we look like", with II, it's "here's our logo without our pictures around us". Women and Children First? Well, it's "here we are two years later". Then with Fair Warning we get, "life is tough sometimes", Diver Down we get a flag that means "diver down"! 1984 is probably the most symbolic as it's the "year all the weird sh*t's supposed to happen, with big brother 'n all - here's your new year's baby - whaddaya think? Oh, by the way, it's all of us rolled into one!"
    Now, I don't have the following albums, but I've seen the cover. 5150 - "successfully replacing David Lee Roth is gonna be a heavy burden", OU812 - "been awhile since we've been pictured on the cover, here's what we look like now", For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge - "how about some fine Corinthian leather?" - Balance - "things are about to get as freaky as a two headed boy around here".
    Then you get Best Of Volume 1 - "we give up" and 3 - "maybe this funny picture on the cover will distract you from the music on this album" or "if you were expecting us to reunite with David Lee Roth, this is what it must've felt like when we didn't!"
    Oh, yeah, I forgot Live: Right Here, Right Now - uh, hmmm... "these people got a religious statue on their front lawn and didn't get wiped out by the tornado like these other people did. And there are no songs about tornados on this album and there won't be any in the future, either."

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 07:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I think Fair Warning is asking a question; how prepared are you to face yourself? If you look at this page below

Here's the link to that picture in case that didn't work
    http://www.van-halen.com/newsite/kurelek.html

that's the entire painting that became the FW cover. To me, if you turn that picture on it's side (might just be easier to turn your head ), it's a person; it's YOU. If you look at the right hand side, that's the face; there's a row of 5 teeth, and above it, in what looks a bit like a tiara, is the portion of your skull where your eyes rest.

Above that, the whole left hand side of that picture, is the brain. And it's all separated (and enclosed) into distinct areas of joy, pain, abuse, torture, madness, love, hate, death, etc. It's a total commitment, just like life is. You can't take life on certain terms, you have to take it all, and you can be guaranteed that sometimes you'll want to live forever, and sometimes you'll want to put a bullet in your head. It's complete madness if you allow it to be, but it's still a question of commitment; can you take all of that in, knowing there is no true escape from yourself, and still maintain your sanity?

The album cover is asking the same thing of you, and indeed offering it to you. "It's all in this package; in nine songs, it's ALL there. We made the commitment to produce it, will you make the commitment to hear it?"

[ March 20, 2002 at 06:47 PM: Message edited by: Glenn ]</p>

Last Online

09.24.16 @ 01:11 AM
    Liked 228 Times in 131 Posts

Premium Member
    Damn Glenn, your album cover is a shit load cooler than mine. Like a friend once told me, "If you spend vast amounts of time reading album covers, then you need a job." Out.
    Quin-a-se-i-co

You're a dick for putting ian on "ignore" DIF

"You stupid fuck!" Seen

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

04.20.05 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Glenn:
    I think Fair Warning is asking a question; how prepared are you to face yourself? If you look at this page below

William Kurelek was a Ukranian immigrant who lived in Canada most of his life. In his adult years, he grew ill, and at that time doctors could not diagnose his particular ailment.

He was sent to a hospital in Europe, the same one that was home to The Elephant Man, for further examination. When the doctors there had a glimmer of an idea as to Kurelek's illness, they exploited his talent as a painter to help them solidify a diagnosis.

Once Kurelek had produced the above painting, doctors were certain he was suffering from acute schizophrenia. Not to be confused with multiple personality disorder. Think the movie "A Beautiful Mind." Kurelek's case was one of the first to help doctors grasp what their patients felt like from the inside, and this painting was instrumental in their diagnosis.

Alex Van Halen was thumbing through a Time-Life book called "The Brain" and came across this painting, and a brief chapter on Kurelek. With a little arrangement they used if for the famous cover.

Incidently, the original painting still hangs in the hospital in Europe.
    RLRR LRLL

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

But wait there's more,

Kurelek is said to have said that the painting represents what was going on inside his head at the time of his internment at the hospital. The painting is a cross section of his decayed body.

The top cell is him as a little boy, vunerable and alone.

The lower left corner shows ravens picking at a lizard. The ravens represent his doctors, where he is the lizard.

Of course there is the school yard bully scene with him getting beat up and laughed at. A tramatic event in his life that may have led to his disease.

The wooden figures embracing and kissing represent his parents and their inability to show warmth and tenderness toward him.

Another cell shows Kurelek crammed inside a test tube where doctors poke and prod him. He wasn't too keen on all the medical fuss about him. This painting suggests the experience in the hospital may have deepend his disease.

The rat in the cell is his inability to free himself from the maze doctors had created for him.

And the cell with the dance or ball, represents his parents, who participated in functions as Ukranian immigrants in Canada.
    RLRR LRLL

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

04.21.16 @ 10:57 PM
    Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts

"3" to me said, "Hey, check out this gimmick!"
    Your favorite band sucks.

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 07:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

'Diddle, where did you find this information?

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Some of it came from the Encyclopedia, some of it came for that Time-Life book "The Brain", and some of it came from my own research on the web. Seeing how I have have the cover permanently injected subcutaneously to my leg, I thought I'd outta get the story straight. Sounds a lot better than, "My tat's from the best Van Halen album ever, dude!" As I get older, that doesn't seem to hold as much weight as it used to.

[ March 22, 2002 at 08:01 AM: Message edited by: paradiddle ]</p>
    RLRR LRLL

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

paradiddle and Glenn...thanks for the sweet 411, doods! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I\'m the One
    Last Online

02.26.08 @ 07:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It IS true...
    Ya DO learn something new everyday.

That should keep me going for a week

Thanks guys. Really interesting. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    <b>Obey the DFK!!</b><br /><br />"Teacher needs to see me after school"

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

05.24.08 @ 01:20 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's amazing how the perpective changes when you look at the cd booklet as opposed to the vinyl album jacket.
    Just looking at the cover of the first album,I'd forgotten how big these things were and a work of art unto themselves.I can remember staring at these things for hours when I bought the albums originally on vinyl.In fact looking at Van Halen 1 ,o my god! Alex is on fire or is he disapearing into the twilight zone and what's dave doing with his microphone on the front. The back cover photo is a classic, I guess it's better to die falling over backwards than to land on your face. [img]graemlins/sssh.gif[/img]

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

WOW. Great thread, great art. I don't know why the Diver Down cover appeals to me so much...but it does. It's like the opposite of the FW art. I also love red, black and white.
    Women and Children is also a great cover...I don't know if it means anything, but the use of that color green--hunter green is the technical term--I've never seen another rock band (or any other kind of band, for that matter) use hunter green as the main color on an album cover. Interestingly enough (and it has been proven in scientific tests), hunter green is picked as the "favorite" color by only 2% of the population--the wealthiest . Hmmm.
    I think WACF is when VH knew they were (as Dave put it to Helmut Newton, who shot the poster art) "flavor of the month."
    1984, to me, is all about the fallen angel.
    As far as the first two albums...I think that's just the "here we iz, fasten yo' seat belts" statement.
    Whew. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]
    (pretty smile)

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Ain\'t Talkin\' \'Bout Love
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

loks like i just found myself a new background...bye bye tara reid, hello FW full artwork.
    Van Halen kicks ass!