Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:15 PM
    Liked 3,115 Times in 1,826 Posts

Premium Member

Default Corporate influence over government is "our Dred Scott" ...unless they agree with me

Not sure if you guys have been paying attention, but the city of Charlotte, NC passed an ordinance that "bans discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression in housing and places of public accommodation."

Yesterday, the state of North Carolina's House passed a "religious freedom" bill that not only supersedes Charlotte's ban, it also disallows anyone from using the bathroom of any gender other than what is on their birth certificate at any school district location or government agency and disallows local governments from passing certain types of labor laws (like a minimum wage higher than the state minimum wage). The main reason for the law, of course, was fear that men would use laws like the one in Charlotte to assault and rape women and girls in women's restrooms. It has also since passed in the state Senate.

So what is now happening is that film productions are threatening to pull out of the state if the Governor signs the law, Disney is threatening to boycott the state, and the NFL said their Super Bowl petition would be threatened if the law passes. In fact, the Human Rights Campaign has even encouraged this behavior, and the HRC has endorsed Hilary Clinton.

The irony, of course, is that Hilary Clinton and most of the left have screamed against a Supreme Court Decision that actually protects, at least partially, this type of corporate influence over public policy. In fact, Clinton and Sanders have made it part of their campaigns, and a popular part at that, to appoint justices that would overturn Citizens United vs. FEC.

So which is it? Is corporate speech bad when it influences government or not? It sure seems like the left wants to have its cake and eat it too. This type of speech is no different than lobbying for tax breaks or beneficial legislation. Yet, when it benefits policies the left agrees with, suddenly corporations speaking out to influence over government is perfectly fine.

Hypocrites.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:59 AM
    Liked 2,231 Times in 1,124 Posts

Premium Member

They are doing the same thing in Georgia. Coca Cola, Disney, AMC, and dozens of other companies have threatened to stop doing business in the state or have publicly chastised the law.

The irony is that all of those same institutions will gladly take money from China without saying a fucking word.

I say call their bluff. When half the country eventually has these laws on the books, these companies will look incredibly stupid for their grandstanding.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

3. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:15 PM
    Liked 3,115 Times in 1,826 Posts

Premium Member

Thing is, I don't begrudge corporations doing this. I have my own views on this (which are out of step with most Americans) and I may agree or disagree with the corporations--it doesn't matter. What I have a problem with is a particular political party saying that corporate speech doesn't belong in politics and the SCOTUS decision upholding that is one of the worst decisions in history...

...yet here they are applauding corporate speech in politics because they agree with it.