Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:08 PM
    Liked 1,484 Times in 1,013 Posts

Premium Member

Default Nixon Aide Reportedly Admitted Drug War Was Meant To Target Black People

Nixon Aide Reportedly Admitted Drug War Was Meant To Target Black People

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...03a640a6bbda1?

I think this has been an open secret for many years, but here is some more proof.

This is a big reason that I can't support Republicans... They claim they want freedom, but they will not put an end to the drug war.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

"McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 11:04 AM
    Liked 3,116 Times in 1,827 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
    Nixon Aide Reportedly Admitted Drug War Was Meant To Target Black People

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...03a640a6bbda1?

I think this has been an open secret for many years, but here is some more proof.

This is a big reason that I can't support Republicans... They claim they want freedom, but they will not put an end to the drug war.
    Of course it was. And drug prohibition was originally a racist, xenophobic program built upon lies to maintain a bureaucracy.

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

Depends on the Day of the Week
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, D.O.A., TYWH
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 04:50 PM
    Liked 1,329 Times in 799 Posts

The Hypocrisy related to US Global Business practices and the US Federal Laws is amazing!

Yes, we control the sale and advertising of tobacco...here in the US....

But, overseas, in Africa, and in Asia, for example, if free to do so, US Tobacco companies happily and freely sell and market tobacco to teenagers, and anyone they can.

Perhaps, as a first step to curbing alcohol abuse, we need to restrict alcohol's advertising as we do tobacco.

AND, I also believe that Prescription Drugs don't need to be advertised to the general public.
    THEY ALL SAY CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR. So, let your Doctor give you advice on what to take for your ailment, IN THE FIRST PLACE....

~~8 U.S.C. § 1182(f)~~

4. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

Premium Member

I don't see a great argument for restricting information on prescription drugs from consumers. If you ask your doctor, odds are, behind the scenes, they are going to consult with their drug reps anyway. A buddy of mine does that, and nearly every day he has doctors consulting him on what drugs to prescribe. Doctors know a lot, but they can't know everything. I have no problem with someone being proactive when it comes to their medical treatment. Worst case scenario it opens up a dialog that otherwise wouldn't occur with one's doctor.

Alcohol advertises everywhere. I don't think taking Budweiser off of the Super Bowl is going to prevent alcohol abuse.

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

Depends on the Day of the Week
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, D.O.A., TYWH
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 04:50 PM
    Liked 1,329 Times in 799 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    I don't see a great argument for restricting information on prescription drugs from consumers. If you ask your doctor, odds are, behind the scenes, they are going to consult with their drug reps anyway. A buddy of mine does that, and nearly every day he has doctors consulting him on what drugs to prescribe. Doctors know a lot, but they can't know everything. I have no problem with someone being proactive when it comes to their medical treatment. Worst case scenario it opens up a dialog that otherwise wouldn't occur with one's doctor.

Alcohol advertises everywhere. I don't think taking Budweiser off of the Super Bowl is going to prevent alcohol abuse.
    So, do you think that you're "informed" from just the advertisements you see on the TV???

We do not need this constant drum of prescription drug advertising on TV.

If you have a condition that could be helped with a prescription drug, then you should research what's available using respected internet sites, and *not* just on whatever product happened to be hawked on TV....

Your logic is faulty, I believe.

So, you think that alcohol advertising, neither helps or hurts alcohol abuse???

Interesting...

~~8 U.S.C. § 1182(f)~~

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Rover View Post
    So, do you think that you're "informed" from just the advertisements you see on the TV???

We do not need this constant drum of prescription drug advertising on TV.

If you have a condition that could be helped with a prescription drug, then you should research what's available using respected internet sites, and *not* just on whatever product happened to be hawked on TV....

Your logic is faulty, I believe.

So, you think that alcohol advertising, neither helps or hurts alcohol abuse???

Interesting...
    Let's say Jenny McCarthy is going to be a guest on X show and you know she is going to talk about being anti-vaccine, how it causes autism, and how your child shouldn't be vaccinated. You actually think it is more harmful to society to allow a company who manufactures a vaccine to buy ad time during that interview and run a commercial refuting what McCarthy says? First amendment issues aside, that sounds like a recipe for danger to me.

Yes, it is true that if more people ask about medications because of ads on TV and therefore more people get prescribed those medications, then more people are going to suffer from the side effects of those medications. But to only talk about those problems is to ignore the problems of people going untreated for conditions they have, yet they do not know they have and have not been diagnosed by their doctor. In other words, it's a belief that protecting people from possible side effects is more important than preventing people from getting treatment for previously unknown conditions.

In 2003, the FDA asked doctors how many patients who came in asking about a drug they saw advertised on TV actually ended up having the condition based upon the symptoms they recognized and the answer ended up being 88%. Should 88% of people face a much larger risk of not being diagnosed with treatable conditions because pharmaceutical ads say, "Consult you physician," so what is the point? I don't think so.

But even if you do think so and do believe in a pharmaceutical exception to the first amendment, the unintended consequence would be that these companies would redirect their advertising budgets to physicians which would then take place behind closed doors and not involve consumers. Do you feel safer with a company paying a doctor to prescribe you a medicine that you know less about because the company isn't allowed to give you information? I sure wouldn't.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:35 PM
    Liked 1,517 Times in 625 Posts

My friend John Hudak wrote a great book last year A short History of Marijuana that gives you a good view into the racist war on drugs.

During congressional marijuana prohibition hearings in 1934 only one medical expert testified to its adverse effects. I encourage all to pull the transcript of the actual testimony because the summary sounds like it is exaggerated but it is not. He testified it showed no addiction or overdose issues. The lone medical impact he cited to all white male congressional panel was that cannabis created an altered mind that made white woman want to have sex with black men. So it was chivalry that dictated we must protect our white woman from the evils of physical contact with black men. NO OTHER adverse effects were cited.

Sounds too ridiculous and overt but pull the testimony or just read John's book. This led to refer madness, the cocaines/crack differential, private prisons that always seemed to be owned by white dudes in rural areas, and mandatory minimums. It was ALL based on racism at its root.

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:08 PM
    Liked 7,889 Times in 4,614 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin Stephens View Post
    My friend John Hudak wrote a great book last year A short History of Marijuana that gives you a good view into the racist war on drugs.

During congressional marijuana prohibition hearings in 1934 only one medical expert testified to its adverse effects. I encourage all to pull the transcript of the actual testimony because the summary sounds like it is exaggerated but it is not. He testified it showed no addiction or overdose issues. The lone medical impact he cited to all white male congressional panel was that cannabis created an altered mind that made white woman want to have sex with black men. So it was chivalry that dictated we must protect our white woman from the evils of physical contact with black men. NO OTHER adverse effects were cited.

Sounds too ridiculous and overt but pull the testimony or just read John's book. This led to refer madness, the cocaines/crack differential, private prisons that always seemed to be owned by white dudes in rural areas, and mandatory minimums. It was ALL based on racism at its root.
    They also said the same thing about rock n roll in the 1950's.

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    They also said the same thing about rock n roll in the 1950's.
    This is true though. Fear of Blacks on cocaine, Mexicans on marijuana, Chinese on opium drove the sale to America of our drug policy. The head of the bureau on alcohol prohibition saw the writing on the wall and saw drugs as the way to keep himself and the people in his bureau employed. Playing on racist stereotypes was how he sold it.

Just one example of a NY Times article about how cocaine made Blacks lust after White women, made them better marksmen, and more impervious to bullets, if I remember correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk