Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:29 PM
    Liked 727 Times in 344 Posts

Default NAD 5150 III 112

Decided to bite the bullet and trade for a 5150 III 112 combo. My local guitar shop (Flores Music) got a shipment of EVH stuff here in Peoria, and I decided to pick one up.

So, a little history. I've had Peavey 5150 combos in the past, but found them to be a little limiting without any kind of real clean channel. Since those days, I've had some really cool amps (Budda, PRS...) and experimented with some different ways to achieve maximum versatility. What I eventually came up with was to find an amp with a really good clean tone, and drive the high gain tones with pedals.

With a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe as my foundation, I went through different pedals (Mad Professor 1, Pinnacle, BSIAB, 5150 Overdrive and Super-Badass) and settled on a combination of a 5150 Overdrive, and Super-Badass. I also picked up a Peavey Classic 30 and stuck a G12M65 Creamback in it as a backup for my HRD.

After checking out the features of the 5150 III 112 Combo, I decided that it's what I really wanted. With three channels, I can get the flexibility I need for the band, having a legitimate clean channel, crunch channel and lead channel. It allows me to simplify my pedalboard a bit, eliminating my Super-Badass Distortion, and my 5150 overdrive. As I will have a lead channel on the amp in addition to my crunch channel, I won't really need my Micro-Amp + for lead boost either, but will probably hang onto it to stick in front of my crunch and clean channels for some fattening of the signal.

Anyway, the HRD and Classic 30 are history, along with the 5150 Overdrive and Super Badass, and they are being replaced with the new amp. Overall, I'm pretty happy. Less knobs to worry about. Less cables between my guitar and my amp. Can't wait to pick her up tonight and spend a little quality time with her tonight.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:09 PM
    Liked 801 Times in 436 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    Decided to bite the bullet and trade for a 5150 III 112 combo. My local guitar shop (Flores Music) got a shipment of EVH stuff here in Peoria, and I decided to pick one up.

So, a little history. I've had Peavey 5150 combos in the past, but found them to be a little limiting without any kind of real clean channel. Since those days, I've had some really cool amps (Budda, PRS...) and experimented with some different ways to achieve maximum versatility. What I eventually came up with was to find an amp with a really good clean tone, and drive the high gain tones with pedals.

With a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe as my foundation, I went through different pedals (Mad Professor 1, Pinnacle, BSIAB, 5150 Overdrive and Super-Badass) and settled on a combination of a 5150 Overdrive, and Super-Badass. I also picked up a Peavey Classic 30 and stuck a G12M65 Creamback in it as a backup for my HRD.

After checking out the features of the 5150 III 112 Combo, I decided that it's what I really wanted. With three channels, I can get the flexibility I need for the band, having a legitimate clean channel, crunch channel and lead channel. It allows me to simplify my pedalboard a bit, eliminating my Super-Badass Distortion, and my 5150 overdrive. As I will have a lead channel on the amp in addition to my crunch channel, I won't really need my Micro-Amp + for lead boost either, but will probably hang onto it to stick in front of my crunch and clean channels for some fattening of the signal.

Anyway, the HRD and Classic 30 are history, along with the 5150 Overdrive and Super Badass, and they are being replaced with the new amp. Overall, I'm pretty happy. Less knobs to worry about. Less cables between my guitar and my amp. Can't wait to pick her up tonight and spend a little quality time with her tonight.
    Wanna sell me your Classic 30?

TK

Last Online

I would, but it's part of the trade for the new amp. I'm sure Flores would sell it to you though. www.floresmusic.com
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,335 Times in 3,183 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I have a 5150III 2x12 combo with the 2x12 extension and it's pretty versatile. Took me a while but I finally got the tone I was searching for out of the blue channel(fender deluxe reverb).

Enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using swagger

Last Online

you mind sharing your settings with me?

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

@

Premium Member

Donor

you mind sharing your settings with me?
    I'll do one better. How about a photo?

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

@

Premium Member

Donor

Here you go;

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

@

Premium Member

Donor

I also keep the resonance on back around 1-2 o'clock.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:55 AM
    Liked 461 Times in 200 Posts

I also own a 5150 III 1X12 combo and I absolutely LOVE it!!! so versatile and I get kick ass tones out of it as well and I absolutely like it way more than the numerous PV 5150 combos I've owned over the years. Just so much more you can do with it.

good choice you'll dig it,

Rob

Last Online

Thanks Fudd. I'll give those settings a try.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

@

Premium Member

Donor

Thanks Fudd. I'll give those settings a try.
    Try the full burn settings. Has a lot of balls.

Last Online

I had a chance to mess around with my amp tonight. I believe I have my tone dialed in now. On both channels, i have the treble and the middle around 12 o'clock, with the mids 1/2 to 1 notch above the treble. I have the lows on both channels at about 2 o'clock. channel 3 gain is at 9 o'clock, and the channel one/two gain is at about 10 o'clock. Presence is at about 1 o'clock, and the resnonance is about half way.

I was surprised how sensitive the tone controls are. Turning the mids down one notch off or 12 o'clock is an audible difference.

I'm running my chorus and delay through the effects loop, and have my chorus set for a pretty Van Halen-y tone. All in all, I love the amp. I do wish it had a little better clean channel though. I'm used to the cleans on my HRD and Classic 30, and this amp is way dirtier on the clean channel. No big deal though, I just need to turn down my guitar volume to about 7, and it cleans up pretty well.

Last Online

Just a quick question for the other owners out there. Is there a sweet spot that you have found for balance between the channel volumes and power level? I guess what I mean is, does the amp sound better with the power level knob at 100%, and the channel levels adjusted to volume, or does it sound better with the channel levels higher, and the power level at 50%?

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

@

Premium Member

Donor

I keep both at 100%.

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

Just a quick question for the other owners out there. Is there a sweet spot that you have found for balance between the channel volumes and power level? I guess what I mean is, does the amp sound better with the power level knob at 100%, and the channel levels adjusted to volume, or does it sound better with the channel levels higher, and the power level at 50%?
    I tried using the power level as a master volume. I tried leaving it all the way up, all the way down. To me it's best adjusted to whatever volume your using. Example my usual practice volume, just loud enough to not hear the strings too much I like it it at 10:00. I think it gives a better tube chunk and feel. I also feel it tames a bit of the 5150 fizz. So it's worth using. Unless I'm in the Carnal Knowledgs zone and I want that Judgement Day fizz. Then I turn it all the way up.

I couldn't decide if at lower power settings I was losing bass. Maybe it was my imagination. But it makes sense as you lower the wattage you lose bass. My only complaint about the combo...not enough bass. The old Peavey combo had thump similar to the half stack. My 2x12 combo is lacking a bit in that department I feel. So I used the power level all the way up for a while. Now I'm back to 10:00. Might be all in my head.
    VH III is Ed's solo album. So everybody who keeps saying they wish he'd do one needs to stfu and listen to III. Then stfu again.