El Yucateca Green Habanero Sauce

Favorite VH Album

Changes On A Daily Basis
    Favorite VH Song

Ditto
    Last Online

08.23.19 @ 09:26 AM
    Liked 137 Times in 78 Posts

I haven't tried Mikey's stuff, but im in agreement that its gotta have some taste, not just heat.

Thus, I highly recommend http://www.amazon.com/Original-Juan-.../dp/B0018OQ6V4
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
    -H.S.T

This next part could really confuse things. Let's stay focused. #asis

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

03.28.20 @ 03:23 PM
    Liked 556 Times in 373 Posts

For mass produced stuff Crystal is pretty good, the regular tobasco is too vinegary to me, but the jalapeņo green one is good. Maybe I'm delusional but I swear ever since Siracha became all the rage the last few years I think it tastes different.
    Dealing with it.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

03.24.20 @ 07:57 PM
    Liked 9,316 Times in 6,703 Posts

Premium Member

"So hot, you'll need two assholes!" LOL.

Yeah, Mike's sauces are really good IMO. I've only tried two of them (the hot and extra hot ones), and was super impressed by both of them.
    They have a thicker consistency to them (think seafood sauce) than the runny tabasco types of offerings, but the overall taste and flavor are top notch. Honestly, I wish they were readily available at more common retail outlets.

Very curious/interested to try the BBQ and hot mustard versions as well.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

03.24.20 @ 07:57 PM
    Liked 9,316 Times in 6,703 Posts

Premium Member

As a funny aside, I recall reading in "Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Van Halen", that it was Alex who was the hot sauce junky...**

The book claimed that Al was often sent hot sauces in the mail by various fans, who nicknamed him "Hot Stuff." Haha. A quote from the book by Roth was that "I've seen him eat things that would go right through the kitchen sink! In Japan, he eats sushi in a sauce so hot, I can't even begin to describe it to you. He cries 'cause it burns his insides, then he laughs at his own tears!"

** Written by Gordon Matthews. ^^^ Taken from chapter 6, entitled "Alex and Michael: A Look Behind Van Halen's Bottom." Page 87.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

03.28.20 @ 02:30 PM
    Liked 4,784 Times in 2,888 Posts

Haven't tried Mike's, but the two we keep at home are regular old Tabasco and Sriracha. Sriracha gets used pretty often with Asian dishes, but I have also made a Sriracha aioli for burgers (just found a simple recipe online). I like Tabasco on homestyle potatoes and omelettes.

I kind of put buffalo wing sauces in this category too. The problem is I just can't seem to handle the ones I like anymore. I really, really like Buffalo Wild Wings' Mango Habanero sauce but I just can't do it anymore. Started to get terrible acid reflux and then the last time it was so bad I threw up. So that ended that. But a few years ago, I tried their "Blazin'" wings and even with two tall Orange Wheats I couldn't finish 6 of them.

One thing about southern California is that it's Mecca for authentic Mexican food, and there isn't much better for me than a traditional salsa (as in 'chips and salsa') that has great flavor and enough heat to tingle a bit and perhaps make your nose run. Second to that is a good salsa verde to coat your food.

But I agree with most others, flavor is more important to heat. I don't want heat to take away from the flavor; it should supplement it.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

03.28.20 @ 04:20 PM
    Liked 3,431 Times in 2,153 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Punch View Post
    Wow, a Cheech n Chong reference. ..obscure and potty humour, 2 points.
    you eat one of those burritos too? cheeks hold together man! My father loved Tommy Chong

Last Online

05.12.16 @ 05:06 AM
    Liked 468 Times in 372 Posts

For just everyday sauces - these are my favorite to put on whatever.

Last edited by Motherload; 03.22.16 at 11:18 AM.

Sinner's Swing! BlindtotheWorld's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

03.27.20 @ 12:56 PM
    Liked 2,076 Times in 1,116 Posts

Premium Member

Just a general comment but adding capsaicin extract is cheating and does nothing for flavor. I got a habanero hot sauce as a gift that contains the extract and while it makes the sauce extremely hot, it's not very tasty.
    Last edited by BlindtotheWorld; 03.22.16 at 01:46 PM.
    "Problem is Van Halen doesn't miss you. Or me. Or any of us." - Little Dreamer

"So, Dave's in the same boat as the rest of planet Earth. He's no longer in a band that doesn't even exist." - I Coulda Hada VH

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

03.28.20 @ 04:20 PM
    Liked 3,431 Times in 2,153 Posts

didn't they force a hot sauce plant to close down in Los Angeles because it made the neighborhood stink....I think it was a siracha plant. Having grown up near a ketchup factory, I can bet that would be miserable

Last Online

03.28.20 @ 01:30 PM
    Liked 919 Times in 538 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I'm cyclical when it comes to this. My current favor is the El Yucateco line. The XXXtra Kutbil-Ik is my favorite, followed by the Green habanero and the Red habanero. The only other around here that I can find is the Black Label, and it's just ok. These come in small bottles and are cheap. Usually $2.00 - $2.50 a bottle. The green and red are readily available, but the XXXtra Kutbil-Ik is more difficult to find. There's a Taqueria nearby that carries it.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

03.28.20 @ 02:30 PM
    Liked 4,784 Times in 2,888 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    didn't they force a hot sauce plant to close down in Los Angeles because it made the neighborhood stink....I think it was a siracha plant. Having grown up near a ketchup factory, I can bet that would be miserable
    The worst thing was Nutro's dog plant moving in nearby one of my area's swankiest neighborhoods. I was renting a room from friends who were renting the house. As soon as you walked outside you smelled a pungent odor we could only describe as cat food mixed with vomit. It didn't hit me til one day I was having a beer at Red Robin, where several friends worked, and a bunch of the guys who worked at the plant came in their outfits. They told me where the plant was and I realized that was it.

The air quality control district got involved. They increased the height of their vent tower and that took care of it.

It was Huy Foods that makes Sriracha that got into trouble in Irwindale, CA. However, the company modified the air ventilation system and the label was dropped and everything was fine. The factory is still there.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

03.06.20 @ 09:51 PM
    Liked 484 Times in 365 Posts

Premium Member

The regular hot sauce isn't bad,I like the exxxtra hot sauce better.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

03.06.20 @ 09:51 PM
    Liked 484 Times in 365 Posts

Premium Member

If your into a smoky flavored hot sauce you should checkout Joe Perry's Boneyard Brew hot sauce.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

03.27.20 @ 08:24 PM
    Liked 1,279 Times in 717 Posts

I've tried all of Mikey's hot sauces and the only one I wasn't impressed with was the BBQ sauce. The original, the XXX, and the mustard are constants in my home. However, it looks like the sauces have been discontinued from the company that makes them, Mike & Diane's. They are all still available from Mikey's web store, but I don't know for how much longer.

They really are high quality sauces. I absolutely love the flavor. My favorite sauces, by far. I was skeptical at first because I have used Ring Of Fire from Mike & Diane's before, but something about the aftertaste bugged me. I'm glad I gave it a shot.

Mike & Diane's makes some really great stuff, though. Their pestos are awesome. They have some spicy caramel and chocolate sauces, but I don't see them listed on the site right now.

http://www.mikeanddianes.com/
    blah blah blah Devin Townsend blah blah blah

https://www.facebook.com/devintownsendexperience