Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

05.12.16 @ 06:06 AM
    Liked 468 Times in 372 Posts

Default Ontario Assisted Dying: Court Allows 81-Year-Old Man To Have Doctors Help Him Die

I support this 100%

TORONTO An elderly man who won court approval Thursday to have a doctor help him die likely this weekend pleaded with the government to change the law permanently to legalize doctor-assisted deaths.

In a statement read to the court, the terminally ill man, 81, said he had lived a long and wonderful life but was troubled with the current legal situation.

"My only regret in these last months is that my family and I have had to expend what little energy I have left to fight this court battle," the man, who can only be identified as A.B., said in the statement.

"I believe firmly in the right to die with dignity and that it is a right that should be available to all Canadians."

"My wish is that our government will see fit to make permanent changes in the law so that no other family will have to do this ever again."

In the first such case in Ontario and the third in Canada outside Quebec Superior Court Justice Paul Perell approved A.B.'s request for an exemption to Criminal Code provisions on assisted suicide under a recent Supreme Court of Canada ruling.

The approval, which followed a 30-minute hearing, was unopposed by the federal and provincial governments.

Perell also agreed to the man's request that his death be classified as caused by disease, obviating the need to notify the coroner as would normally be required. The man and his family opposed coroner involvement given that it could lead to police involvement, an unnecessary autopsy or toxicology tests.

In brief submissions to the court, A.B.'s lawyer Andrew Faith stressed that the condition of his client, diagnosed with lymphoma in 2012, was worsening, leading to urgency in the need for the court approval.

"He would like to be in a position to avail himself of this relief this weekend," Faith told the court.

Perell did express some unease with the idea that the coroner could be bypassed in all assisted-death cases noting a case could arise in which someone was severely disabled rather than terminally ill. Faith said Thursday's decision was based only on the specific circumstances of his client.

Last year, the Supreme Court of Canada struck down laws that bar doctors from helping someone die, but put the ruling on hold for one year. In February, the court granted the federal government a four-month extension, but said the terminally ill could ask the courts for an exemption to the ban during that period. Quebec set up its own legislative regime on assisted death in December.

In lengthy oral reasons in which he appeared at times to become emotional, Perell said the man's condition and circumstances met the Supreme Court's criteria for the exemption. Those conditions include being mentally competent, in extreme pain, and making the assisted-death request without coercion or manipulation. The judge also noted the man's family and doctors supported his request.

"A.B. deposes that his suffering is intolerable and unbearable," the judge said, adding that granting the exemption was "not a routine exercise."

The plan, now, is for doctors to follow the "Quebec protocol" essentially helping the man die by lethal injection. Court heard that oral drugs used in Oregon assisted deaths are simply not available in Ontario in the required doses. The three-step plan involves sedating the man, putting him into a deep coma, then giving him a deadly dose of a drug that will stop his heart and breathing.

"My wish is that our government will see fit to make permanent changes in the law so that no other family will have to do this ever again."

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/03...n_9486198.html

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:46 PM
    Liked 742 Times in 409 Posts

Premium Member

About time.

We allow our pets to die with more dignity than humans. Not a slight against pets - I'm very much a dog / cat guy.
    Winners come and go; legends are forever.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 09:17 PM
    Liked 6,972 Times in 5,008 Posts

Premium Member

He died today, just under 24hrs since the court ruling.
    The blurb was just on CP24... R.I.P.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:13 PM
    Liked 3,116 Times in 1,827 Posts

Premium Member

Do you guys have a "right to try?" CA Gov. Brown within a week signed right to die but vetoed right to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:46 PM
    Liked 742 Times in 409 Posts

Premium Member

Not that I'm aware of....

I do a fair amount of palliative volunteering / counselling; and I've to to say, when it comes time to go, I want to go on MY terms. Most of the palliative folks I know would agree with me.
    Winners come and go; legends are forever.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:22 PM
    Liked 6,702 Times in 3,721 Posts

i'm uncomfortable with whole concept of assisted suicide but i have very little problem with elderly people who are terminally ill and suffering badly having this option available to them.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    i'm uncomfortable with whole concept of assisted suicide but i have very little problem with elderly people who are terminally ill and suffering badly having this option available to them.
    Assisted Dying.

How about younger people - who are suffering badly?

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Motherload View Post
    Assisted Dying.

How about younger people - who are suffering badly?
    i'm very, very uncomfortable with it. It's such a slippery slope. If it's "doctor says he/she is guaranteed to die in 2 months and the person is suffering then I'm alright, I guess, with it. But when you open that door you get doctors signing off on killing someone who has a temporary medical issue. I don't want to get to that place. You get to people seeing dollar signs in their eyes by convincing an elderly relative to off themselves or a child who's become too much of a hindrance. I'm concerned with where this is going.

Last Online

i'm very, very uncomfortable with it. It's such a slippery slope. If it's "doctor says he/she is guaranteed to die in 2 months and the person is suffering then I'm alright, I guess, with it. But when you open that door you get doctors signing off on killing someone who has a temporary medical issue. I don't want to get to that place. You get to people seeing dollar signs in their eyes by convincing an elderly relative to off themselves or a child who's become too much of a hindrance. I'm concerned with where this is going.
    So beyond any slippery slope, you have less of a problem with people who are suffering/in pain to various long term medical issues? Let's say I have ALS and want to die? Is it fine for a doctor to approve that?

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

So beyond any slippery slope, you have less of a problem with people who are suffering/in pain to various medical issues? Let's say I have ALS and want to die? Is it fine for a doctor to approve that?
    I have less of an issue if a doctor (preferably multiple doctors) can tell us "this person will die within X number of months" or "this person is 100% guaranteed to not get better" End of the day I trust the medical system here to typically get these cases right but I'd want all sorts of safeguards built into the system if you go down this road as it appears we are.

Last Online

I have less of an issue if a doctor (preferably multiple doctors) can tell us "this person will die within X number of months" or "this person is 100% guaranteed to not get better" End of the day I trust the medical system here to typically get these cases right but I'd want all sorts of safeguards built into the system if you go down this road as it appears we are.
    What if it can't be determined when they will die - but like I said, has to live a shitty fucking life with ALS or needs to blow into a straw to make a wheelchair move, while their shit their pants. If they want to end their suffering - like a dog, is that the humane thing to do?

Answer my specific examples.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

What if it can't be determined when they will die - but like I said, has to live a shitty fucking life with ALS or needs to blow into a straw to make a wheelchair move, while their shit their pants. If they want to end their suffering - like a dog, is that the humane thing to do?

Answer my specific examples.
    Blow into a straw to make a wheelchair move I'd be ok with signing off on that. But this is when he head down the slippery slope. Who decides what a shitty fucking life is?

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

Last Online

Blow into a straw to make a wheelchair move I'd be ok with signing off on that. But this is when he head down the slippery slope. Who decides what a shitty fucking life is?

The person who is legitimately dealing with unbearable pain, is suffering and wishes they were dead? Are you going to debate their position as if you are living in their shoes?

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

The person who is legitimately dealing with unbearable pain, is suffering and wishes they were dead? Are you going to debate their position as if you are living in their shoes?
    I'm personally not. But when you ask our medical system to do the deed then we have the right to place reasonable restrictions on it. Don't you think?

Last Online

I'm personally not. But when you ask our medical system to do the deed then we have the right to place reasonable restrictions on it. Don't you think?

Reasonable restrictions - yes. But I suspect even defining reasonable restrictions is going to be up for debate.

While different than assisted death - what's your take on Robert Latimer?

A 1999 poll found that 73% of Canadians believed that Latimer acted out of compassion and should receive a more lenient sentence. The same poll found that 41% believe that mercy killing should be legal.