Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 11:38 PM
    Liked 3,117 Times in 1,828 Posts

Premium Member

Default Imagine if the media covered alcohol like other drugs

Imagine if the media covered alcohol like other drugs
    Updated by German Lopez on March 17, 2016, 9:45 a.m. ET

What if the media covered alcohol like it does other drugs? This was a question that came up in my coverage of flakka, a synthetic drug that made headlines after law enforcement blamed it for people running in the streets naked in delusional paranoia. What follows is a satirical attempt at capturing that same type of alarmist reporting, but for a substance that really causes widespread and severe problems.

NEW ORLEANS — An ongoing drug epidemic has swept the US, killing hundreds and sickening thousands more on a daily basis.

The widespread use of a substance called "alcohol" — also known as "booze" — has been linked to erratic and even dangerous behavior, ranging from college students running naked down public streets to brutal attacks and robberies.

Federal officials suggest this drug has already been linked to 88,000 deaths each year across the country, including traffic accidents caused by drug-induced impairment, liver damage caused by excessive consumption, and violent behavior. Experts warn that it can also lead to nausea, vomiting, severe headaches, cognitive deficits among children and teens, and even fetal defects in pregnant women.

Excessive consumption of alcohol "is a leading cause of preventable deaths in the US," Centers for Disease Control and Prevention principal deputy director Ileana Arias said in a statement. "We need to implement effective programs and policies to prevent binge drinking and the many health and social harms that are related to it, including deaths from alcohol poisoning."

On the ground in America's alcohol epidemic capital

Here in New Orleans, the horror of the drug was particularly prominent in the city's French Quarter, where hundreds of young adults could be seen roiling from the effects of the drug. Some collapsed on the ground, dazed from alcohol's effects. Others could be seen vomiting in public — a common result of drinking alcohol. Many could be seen limping and clumsily walking down the street, showcasing the type of impairment that public health officials warn can lead to accidents, especially when someone is behind the wheel of a car.

What's worse, public use of this drug has become widely accepted in some circles. In New Orleans, several men and women in their 20s and 30s shouted that they're going to get "wasted" — a slang term for coming under the effects of alcohol. Some have even turned drinking alcohol into a game that involves ping pong balls and cups. One popular holiday, St. Patrick's Day, appears to celebrate the dangerous drug.

In other places, there have been similar reports of individuals engaging in bizarre, inexplicable behavior while under the effects of alcohol. Some reports found intoxicated college students exposing themselves to others or running the streets naked while shouting hysterically, particularly during spring time. Others report people urinating in public streets after a few alcoholic beverages. And at least one man who consumed alcohol tried to ride a crocodile and was seriously injured when the animal fought back.

"It actually starts to rewire the brain chemistry," one law enforcement official said. "They have no control over their thoughts. They can't control their actions. It's just a dangerous, dangerous drug."

Across the US, public health officials have linked alcohol to much graver effects, including domestic abuse, sexual assault in college campuses, 40 percent of violent crimes in the US, and more than 4.6 million emergency room visits in 2010.

According to federal data, alcohol is already the second deadliest drug in the country — topped only by another legal substance called "tobacco," which causes an astonishing 480,000 deaths each year by some estimates and 540,000 by others.

No other drug comes close to the staggering fatalities of these two. Heroin, which has consumed widespread media attention in the past few years, was linked to fewer than 9,000 deaths in 2013, and marijuana — another drug that federal lawmakers, including President Obama, have warned is dangerous — reportedly caused zero overdose deaths in the past few thousand years.

Public health experts demand action

Despite the heightened public health crisis, federal and state officials seem reluctant to do anything about the drug, which remains legal for adults 21 and older to possess and even sell in most of the US. Policymakers say that banning alcohol is out of the question, citing its importance to the economy and American culture.

Drug policy experts have suggested levying higher taxes on the drug or bringing its sales under state control, pointing to numerous studies that have shown these measures would reduce use. But lawmakers at the state and federal levels seem reluctant to take up even these milder measures, likely under the influence and lobbying of drug producers and dealers profiting from hundreds of billions in sales of alcohol each year.

Perhaps as a result, alcohol producers have felt free to advertise their product during major televised events such as the Super Bowl, which is viewed by millions of children each year. The marketing ploys tend to portray alcohol as cool and fun, seldom mentioning the risks and thousands of deaths linked to the drug.

As policymakers stand idly by, alcohol consumption has reached epidemic proportions. A recent Gallup survey found nearly two-thirds of Americans admitted to using alcohol — even as another survey by Gallup found more than one in three Americans blame alcohol for family problems.

For many public health officials, the startling numbers pose the question: What will it take to wake up the public and officials to this widening epidemic?
    Last edited by lovemachine97(Version 2); 03.17.16 at 05:40 PM.

2. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:11 PM
    Liked 10,895 Times in 5,736 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    Imagine if the media covered alcohol like other drugs
    Updated by German Lopez on March 17, 2016, 9:45 a.m. ET

What if the media covered alcohol like it does other drugs? This was a question that came up in my coverage of flakka, a synthetic drug that made headlines after law enforcement blamed it for people running in the streets naked in delusional paranoia. What follows is a satirical attempt at capturing that same type of alarmist reporting, but for a substance that really causes widespread and severe problems.

NEW ORLEANS — An ongoing drug epidemic has swept the US, killing hundreds and sickening thousands more on a daily basis.

The widespread use of a substance called "alcohol" — also known as "booze" — has been linked to erratic and even dangerous behavior, ranging from college students running naked down public streets to brutal attacks and robberies.

Federal officials suggest this drug has already been linked to 88,000 deaths each year across the country, including traffic accidents caused by drug-induced impairment, liver damage caused by excessive consumption, and violent behavior. Experts warn that it can also lead to nausea, vomiting, severe headaches, cognitive deficits among children and teens, and even fetal defects in pregnant women.

Excessive consumption of alcohol "is a leading cause of preventable deaths in the US," Centers for Disease Control and Prevention principal deputy director Ileana Arias said in a statement. "We need to implement effective programs and policies to prevent binge drinking and the many health and social harms that are related to it, including deaths from alcohol poisoning."

On the ground in America's alcohol epidemic capital

Here in New Orleans, the horror of the drug was particularly prominent in the city's French Quarter, where hundreds of young adults could be seen roiling from the effects of the drug. Some collapsed on the ground, dazed from alcohol's effects. Others could be seen vomiting in public — a common result of drinking alcohol. Many could be seen limping and clumsily walking down the street, showcasing the type of impairment that public health officials warn can lead to accidents, especially when someone is behind the wheel of a car.

What's worse, public use of this drug has become widely accepted in some circles. In New Orleans, several men and women in their 20s and 30s shouted that they're going to get "wasted" — a slang term for coming under the effects of alcohol. Some have even turned drinking alcohol into a game that involves ping pong balls and cups. One popular holiday, St. Patrick's Day, appears to celebrate the dangerous drug.

In other places, there have been similar reports of individuals engaging in bizarre, inexplicable behavior while under the effects of alcohol. Some reports found intoxicated college students exposing themselves to others or running the streets naked while shouting hysterically, particularly during spring time. Others report people urinating in public streets after a few alcoholic beverages. And at least one man who consumed alcohol tried to ride a crocodile and was seriously injured when the animal fought back.

"It actually starts to rewire the brain chemistry," one law enforcement official said. "They have no control over their thoughts. They can't control their actions. It's just a dangerous, dangerous drug."

Across the US, public health officials have linked alcohol to much graver effects, including domestic abuse, sexual assault in college campuses, 40 percent of violent crimes in the US, and more than 4.6 million emergency room visits in 2010.

According to federal data, alcohol is already the second deadliest drug in the country — topped only by another legal substance called "tobacco," which causes an astonishing 480,000 deaths each year by some estimates and 540,000 by others.

No other drug comes close to the staggering fatalities of these two. Heroin, which has consumed widespread media attention in the past few years, was linked to fewer than 9,000 deaths in 2013, and marijuana — another drug that federal lawmakers, including President Obama, have warned is dangerous — reportedly caused zero overdose deaths in the past few thousand years.

Public health experts demand action

Despite the heightened public health crisis, federal and state officials seem reluctant to do anything about the drug, which remains legal for adults 21 and older to possess and even sell in most of the US. Policymakers say that banning alcohol is out of the question, citing its importance to the economy and American culture.

Drug policy experts have suggested levying higher taxes on the drug or bringing its sales under state control, pointing to numerous studies that have shown these measures would reduce use. But lawmakers at the state and federal levels seem reluctant to take up even these milder measures, likely under the influence and lobbying of drug producers and dealers profiting from hundreds of billions in sales of alcohol each year.

Perhaps as a result, alcohol producers have felt free to advertise their product during major televised events such as the Super Bowl, which is viewed by millions of children each year. The marketing ploys tend to portray alcohol as cool and fun, seldom mentioning the risks and thousands of deaths linked to the drug.

As policymakers stand idly by, alcohol consumption has reached epidemic proportions. A recent Gallup survey found nearly two-thirds of Americans admitted to using alcohol — even as another survey by Gallup found more than one in three Americans blame alcohol for family problems.

For many public health officials, the startling numbers pose the question: What will it take to wake up the public and officials to this widening epidemic?
    Seriously question here as I don't know the answer as I don't do drugs.

Do people smoke Marijuana not to get high? What about snorting coke or injecting herion?

The reason I ask is because most people that I know don't drink to get drunk. My mother in law has an occasional glass of wine with dinner. My dad usually has a couple of beers in the evening before he goes to bed. If I go to a baseball or football game I'll have a beer or two tops.

This is why I disagree with this idea that alcohol is "just as bad" as other drugs. Can someone be a "moderate" cocaine user? What about a "moderate" meth user?

Yes, there are people that abuse alcohol for a variety of reasons. But not everyone who consumes alcohol falls into this category.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

4. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 12:02 AM
    Liked 8,789 Times in 4,758 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post

Do people smoke Marijuana not to get high? What about snorting coke or injecting herion?

The reason I ask is because most people that I know don't drink to get drunk. My mother in law has an occasional glass of wine with dinner. My dad usually has a couple of beers in the evening before he goes to bed. If I go to a baseball or football game I'll have a beer or two tops.

This is why I disagree with this idea that alcohol is "just as bad" as other drugs. Can someone be a "moderate" cocaine user? What about a "moderate" meth user?

Yes, there are people that abuse alcohol for a variety of reasons. But not everyone who consumes alcohol falls into this category.
    That's a good point. My better half is not a drinker, and basically the only time I drink anymore, is I will have a couple beers before playing my drums and that's it. And I only get to play once a week these days, maybe twice if it's a good week.

Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:02 PM
    Liked 7,643 Times in 4,016 Posts

I'm pretty clean & proud of it.

I rarely drink or smoke pot.

The most i do is a few lines a couple times a day, kind of like those that have
    their daily Redbulls.

Last Online

05.12.16 @ 06:06 AM
    Liked 468 Times in 372 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    I'm pretty clean & proud of it.

I rarely drink or smoke pot.

The most i do is a few lines a couple times a day, kind of like those that have
    their daily Redbulls.
    I hope this is sarcasm.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Motherload View Post
    I hope this is sarcasm.
    I've said nothing to warrant shame, ML.

As i stated, i live a pretty clean life.

So my "energy drinks" are a bump now & then.
    You say Tomato, i say Tomatoe.

9. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

05.12.16 @ 06:06 AM
    Liked 468 Times in 372 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    I've said nothing to warrant shame, ML.

As i stated, i live a pretty clean life.

So my "energy drinks" are a bump now & then.
    You say Tomato, i say Tomatoe.
    One isn't even in the same universe as the other. You are definitely comparing apples to oranges.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Motherload View Post
    One isn't even in the same universe as the other. You are definitely comparing apples to oranges.
    I say limes to lemons.

Just because i need a little marching powder to keep me alert, doesn't make
    me some depraved addict.

I don't even drink coffee!

Clean livin' is the ONLY livin.'

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

08.21.17 @ 09:32 PM
    Liked 2,028 Times in 1,265 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post

Yeah, if you're doing drugs you're doing it to get high, for the most part (medical). Not the case with all drinkers. But they can if they want to, whenever they want.

The whole thing basically breaks down to, while drugs aren't the greatest for ya, alcohol (something legal) kills way more people than all the other drugs combined. Yet it's considered acceptable and a necessity.
    Something like pot is illegal and the devil's spawn, but it kills no one. Kinda funny when you think about it.

14. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by PrideofPasadena View Post
    Yeah, if you're doing drugs you're doing it to get high, for the most part (medical). Not the case with all drinkers. But they can if they want to, whenever they want.

The whole thing basically breaks down to, while drugs aren't the greatest for ya, alcohol (something legal) kills way more people than all the other drugs combined. Yet it's considered acceptable and a necessity.
    Something like pot is illegal and the devil's spawn, but it kills no one. Kinda funny when you think about it.
    Actually we've had a couple of deaths here since we legalized weed. One kid overdid it on edibles and jumped out a 4th story hotel window. Another woman plowed into a motorcycle high and killed it's occupants.

I'm guessing that the reason there are more alcohol related deaths is that alcohol is more easily attainable than other drugs, not that it is somehow "worse" than other drugs.

Odds are that if you drink in moderation you're not likely to suffer any adverse consequences. I guessing the same can't be said fore coke, meth, heroin, etc.

16. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.14.17 @ 06:38 PM
    Liked 753 Times in 498 Posts

I hate alcohol with a passion and consider it one of the worst drugs out there.

I smoke weed daily. It stabilizes my moods and helps with arthritic pain.

18. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

Premium Member

Actually, recreational users of "hard drugs" far outnumber addicts. We just don't know about it because they keep it hidden, being illegal and all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

Depends on the Day of the Week
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, D.O.A., TYWH
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:52 PM
    Liked 1,329 Times in 799 Posts

Hollywood, and those forces and powers behind Hollywood, have made alcohol consumption "normalized" with thousands of placements in films for generations. So maybe there have been 10 or 20 films that could be considered anti-alcohol.... that can't begin to counter the tens of thousands of movies where alcohol use is either glorified, parodied, or portrayed as a "normal" part of "life".

The consistent psychological indoctrination of alcohol use through media has been quite substantial and incredible over the decades.

Tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands of pro-alcohol messages ...to... hundreds of anti-alcohol messages....

Can you imagine if after a DUI death, or DUI related death, that the Local News camera is outside a store or bar where the alcohol was purchased, with the story of "The DUI manslaughter suspect purchased 288 ounces of Budweiser at this store, before committing the crime." NO--- you mostly will NEVER see alcohol abuse covered this way. Nope. Never.

Because it would "Bad For Business".... And now you know who really "runs" your town...

~~8 U.S.C. § 1182(f)~~

22. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

Premium Member

It's also normalized because it was only illegal for a few years and that changed over 80 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Premium Member

Well, I'm certainly not going to defend this jackass:

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_29...-suspicion-dui

Glad he's been trying to "get tough" on DUI in the State Legislature. Hypocrite...