Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:05 PM
    Liked 11,743 Times in 6,505 Posts

Premium Member

Default Obama Names Supreme Court Nominee

Obama’s Supreme Court Nominee Revealed — and Some Red Fplags Have Already Been Raised on His Second Amendment Record

Mar. 16, 2016

President Barack Obama is set to nominate Merrick Garland, a 63-year-old judge on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, to fill the vacancy on the U.S. Supreme Court left by the death to Justice Antonin Scalia.

Obama will make the announcement Tuesday in the Rose Garden.
    Senate Republicans have vowed to block any nominee Obama puts forward, preferring to let voters choose the kind of justice who will replace Scalia through the 2016 presidential elections.

Garland comes in with a mixed record and will likely face scrutiny from Republicans about his stance on the Second Amendment.

As a Justice Department attorney in the 1990s, he assisted in the high profile prosecutions of Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh and Unabomber Ted Kaczynski.

President Bill Clinton named Garland to the D.C. Circuit Court in 1997.

In the D.C. vs. Heller gun case, which eventually made it to the Supreme Court, a three-judge panel of the D.C. Circuit struck down most of the Washington, D.C., handgun ban. However, Garland joined Judge David Tatel in voting to have the full court reconsider the decision. Garland and Tatel were on the losing side when the Supreme Court recognized the individual right to bear arms in the Heller case and struck down the district’s ban.

In a National Review piece, Carrie Severino, chief counsel for the Judicial Crisis Network, also wrote about Garland voting to uphold an executive action by President Clinton to establish what some considered a de facto gun registration requirement.

But Garland has a long record, and, among other things, it leads to the conclusion that he would vote to reverse one of Justice Scalia’s most important opinions, D.C. vs. Heller, which affirmed that the Second Amendment confers an individual right to keep and bear arms. Back in 2007, Judge Garland voted to undo a D.C. Circuit court decision striking down one of the most restrictive gun laws in the nation. The liberal District of Columbia government had passed a ban on individual handgun possession, which even prohibited guns kept in one’s own house for self-defense. A three-judge panel struck down the ban, but Judge Garland wanted to reconsider that ruling. He voted with Judge David Tatel, one of the most liberal judges on that court. As Dave Kopel observed at the time, the “[t]he Tatel and Garland votes were no surprise, since they had earlier signaled their strong hostility to gun owner rights” in a previous case. Had Garland and Tatel won that vote, there’s a good chance that the Supreme Court wouldn’t have had a chance to protect the individual right to bear arms for several more years …

Garland thought all of these regulations were legal, which tells us two things. First, it tells us that he has a very liberal view of gun rights, since he apparently wanted to undo a key court victory protecting them. Second, it tells us that he’s willing to uphold executive actions that violate the rights of gun owners. That’s not so moderate, is it?

Garland does have a somewhat centrist record, siding with the Bush administration in a key terror case. In 2003, he joined an opinion on the D.C. Circuit prohibiting Guantanamo Bay prisoners from challenging their detention from appealing in civilian courts. The Supreme Court, in 2008, overturned this ruling in the case of Rasul v. Bush.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2016...ndment-record/
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Last Online

05.12.16 @ 06:06 AM
    Liked 468 Times in 372 Posts

Default Merrick Garland Declared Obama's Supreme Court Nominee

President Barack Obama has nominated veteran appeals court judge Merrick Garland to be the next US Supreme Court Justice.

The Supreme Court vacancy follows the death of Antonin Scalia last month.

Judge Garland, 63, is viewed as a moderate and has won praise from senior Republican figures.

The appointment has to be ratified by the Senate, but its Republican majority has vowed to block a vote on any Supreme Court nominee from Mr Obama.

Republicans have called on the president to leave the nomination to his successor, who will be elected in November.

The death of Justice Scalia, a staunch conservative, left the nine-member Supreme Court evenly divided between conservatives and liberals.

The vacancy has become a major issue in the presidential election because the high court is often the final say on divisive issues such as abortion, immigration and climate change.

Urging the Senate to support Mr Garland, the US president said: "He is the right man for the job. He deserves to be confirmed".

Last Online

So is he the liberal that some of you were so worried about?

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

We already have a thread for this.

http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/thre...-Court-Nominee
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:32 PM
    Liked 3,108 Times in 1,820 Posts

Premium Member

Deleted
    Last edited by lovemachine97(Version 2); 03.16.16 at 02:06 PM.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

We already have a thread for this.

http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/thre...-Court-Nominee

Last Online

Premium Member

He's a liberal, which we should expect, but I think he is going to be a disappointment to people who wanted Obama to nominate his "first choice." The mistake Republicans I think are making is that if they lose in November, Hilary is going to nominate someone that would be worse as far as the right is concerned. Obama did what I thought, which is he nominated someone Republicans should have no problem approving, considering he's been praised the past by them.

Perhaps most frustrating to progressives would be Garland's involvement in SpeechNow.org v. FEC where his DC Circuit struck down limiting campaign contributions to entities such as SpeechNow.org in light of the Citizens United decision. I happen to think CU is a fine decision, so this is encouraging.

Discouraging both for me and progressives should be Garland's record on criminal justice. In light of the problems with prosecutors and police, Garland's sides with them almost exclusively. As SCOTUSBlog noted, "Judge Garland rarely votes in favor of criminal defendants' appeals of their conviction." Conservatives, however, should like that. They should also like that he was against habeus corpus rights for Gitmo detainees (SCOTUS eventually decided they do have those rights).

Also discouraging for conservatives, possibly, is that leading up to the Heller decision, Garland voted to rehear the case, which would have put a stop to the decision that gave Heller his individual right to bear arms. This might be an indication he does not believe in the individual right to bear arms.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    He's a liberal, which we should expect, but I think he is going to be a disappointment to people who wanted Obama to nominate his "first choice." The mistake Republicans I think are making is that if they lose in November, Hilary is going to nominate someone that would be worse as far as the right is concerned. Obama did what I thought, which is he nominated someone Republicans should have no problem approving, considering he's been praised the past by them.

Perhaps most frustrating to progressives would be Garland's involvement in SpeechNow.org v. FEC where his DC Circuit struck down limiting campaign contributions to entities such as SpeechNow.org in light of the Citizens United decision. I happen to think CU is a fine decision, so this is encouraging.

Discouraging both for me and progressives should be Garland's record on criminal justice. In light of the problems with prosecutors and police, Garland's sides with them almost exclusively. As SCOTUSBlog noted, "Judge Garland rarely votes in favor of criminal defendants' appeals of their conviction." Conservatives, however, should like that. They should also like that he was against habeus corpus rights for Gitmo detainees (SCOTUS eventually decided they do have those rights).

Also discouraging for conservatives, possibly, is that leading up to the Heller decision, Garland voted to rehear the case, which would have put a stop to the decision that gave Heller his individual right to bear arms. This might be an indication he does not believe in the individual right to bear arms.
    From what I have read - he's a moderate. He has liberal and conservative views. He's not some hard core liberal for conservatives to fear. Is this not the case?

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:31 PM
    Liked 866 Times in 508 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I think that's what LM just said.

Last Online

Of course this fucking douchebag and pathetic human being is doing what he does best:

Mitch McConnell: Nope, We Still Won't Consider Obama's Supreme Court Nominee

But some GOPers say they'll meet with Merrick Garland anyway.

President Barack Obama finally announced Merrick Garland as his Supreme Court pick on Wednesday. But nothing changed on Capitol Hill, where top Republicans said it doesn't matter if the president has named someone to fill the vacant seat. They're still not going to act on his confirmation.

Some of the party's vulnerable members are signaling they're not comfortable with this strategy, though.

Within minutes of Obama's news on Garland, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) was already declaring his nomination dead on arrival.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...ction=politics

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by UncleCrappy View Post
    I think that's what LM just said.
    He stated that he was liberal out of the gate, so I was just clarifying despite the rest of his post per what people are saying from what I have read.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:29 PM
    Liked 7,838 Times in 4,574 Posts

Premium Member

I don't care about SCOTUS.

I knew it mattered not anymore, about whether a justice was a true liberal or conservative. They don't care about the everyday citizen. They only care about how the court itself, is perceived. Protecting their own institution.

Issues like eminent domain and giving the green light to Obamacare just reaffirms that we have no rights.

We have no say once they rule and a court decision will most likely never be repealed by subsequent courts. It's all bullshit.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    I don't care about SCOTUS.

I knew it mattered not anymore, about whether a justice was a true liberal or conservative. They don't care about the everyday citizen. They only care about how the court itself, is perceived. Protecting their own institution.

Issues like eminent domain and giving the green light to Obamacare just reaffirms that we have no rights.

We have no say once they rule and a court decision will most likely never be repealed by subsequent courts. It's all bullshit.
    You need to. We have to start putting people on the bench that respect The Constitution. This guy ain't it.

14. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

Premium Member

He's what people would probably consider a moderate liberal. Likely the SCOTUS equivalent of Justice Roberts.

He's a mixed bag, more bad than good for me, but someone I think both parties could live with. (And the Republicans should, considering who could be nominated potentially by Clinton next year.)

I am guessing the left would be willing to overlook his lack of criminal justice reform cred if he were to tip the balance of the court that guns are not an individual right. Heller was a 5-4 decision, and we've now perhaps swapped Scalia, who wrote the decision, for Garland.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:29 PM
    Liked 7,838 Times in 4,574 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    You need to. We have to start putting people on the bench that respect The Constitution. This guy ain't it.
    If that means an all conservative bench then...no.

Are there liberals who respect the Constitution?

It's just all partisan politics and I'm sick of it. I'm sick of these pointless nomination battles.